Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doctor Kildare

Question about Blank's soccer team

63 posts in this topic

Let's be real folks....Atlanta has one of the most if not the most dreadful sports history....in history! To have a team named the United represent Atlanta and win the championship, It's name should have done just that....Unite Atlanta.

Soccer is bigger than most seem to think it is. There's no doubt about it, that little measly soccer team just put Atlanta on the map for the soccer world to see!

6 minutes ago, E. T. said:

Let's be real folks....Atlanta has one of the most if not the most dreadful sports history....in history! To have a team named the United represent Atlanta and win the championship, It's name should have done just that....Unite Atlanta.

Soccer is bigger than most seem to think it is. There's no doubt about it, that little measly soccer team just put Atlanta on the map for the soccer world to see!

Exactly. People all over the world who watch soccer tuned into the mls cup last weekend, something they previously never intended on doing. But because the passionate Atlanta United fans filled the stadium and the players played a quality match, Atlanta United has new fans around the world. 

People who would trash MLS and instead watch the premier league teams with the elite talent now respect what the USA is doing over here. It’s actually pretty incredible for not just the team and the city, but the sport as a whole. Atlanta United has changed the league for the better in their extremely short history. 

But nah, f*ck soccer it’s basically just kick ball and takes no skill. And American football fans are waaaay better. They just seem to get lost on their way to the stadium. That’s why it’s not full for Falcons games like it is for Atlanta United matches.  

Edited by shock

55 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

And Given what both teams have done in their history how is that a bad thing?

It may not be .. idk , I don't live there any longer , if they left I guess my fan support of them would go too .... I'm a fan of all ga. Teams i guess cause i grew up rooting for them....

7 minutes ago, shock said:

Exactly. People all over the world who watch soccer tuned into the mls cup last weekend, something they previously never intended on doing. But because the passionate Atlanta United fans filled the stadium and the players played a quality match, Atlanta United has new fans around the world. 

People who would trash MLS and instead watch the premier league teams with the elite talent now respect what the USA is doing over here. It’s actually pretty incredible for not just the team and the city, but the sport as a whole. Atlanta United has changed the league for the better in their extremely short history. 

But nah, f*ck soccer it’s basically just kick ball and takes no skill. And American football fans are waaaay better. They just seem to get lost on their way to the stadium. That’s why it’s not full for Falcons games like it is for Atlanta United matches.  

Most people have to truly understand the sport in order to appreciate it. The origins of most sports today derives from soccer......Football, rugby, hockey, basketball, polo, Lacrosse...etc.

Soccer is huge and just by the attendance at MBS, that's enough proof to say it's making an impact on us.

40 minutes ago, abstract said:

So if United goes on to win two more championships in a row and become the first MLS dynasty and keep spearheading change and growth within their league and turn out to be really, really satisfying for years to come you’ll be on board?  

Put on a scarf bro feels nice

The 1995 Braves expected a dynasty too.

52 minutes ago, abstract said:

Just realized there isn’t actually a major league kickball league and you were making an attempt to trash soccer.  LOL are you dense?  Why are you hating on something that that that brings success to our city? 

Sorry if you don’t brah

You just figured out what I was talking about, and I'm the dense one?  Now that's hilarious!

2 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

You just figured out what I was talking about, and I'm the dense one?  Now that's hilarious!

Says the guy who trashed Atlanta United’s name as a “copy cat name that has nothing to do with Atlanta” and proceeds to trash the sport of soccer as well. When, ironically, American “football’s” sport name is a copy cat name that has nothing to do with the sport in comparison to real football. 

5 hours ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

The Georgia Swarm lacrosse team won a championship recently too, and it mattered about as much as this title in the overall Atlanta sports landscape.  Exciting at first, but not satisfying for long.  Like fast food.

Maybe for you.  But soccer is actually a major sport, both in this city and around the world. I love when people dismiss something as unimportant just because they as an individual don’t really care. 

16 hours ago, FalconinPA said:

Can't believe they won a title before the Falcons. I don't even want to talk about the hawks!

At this point I think the United will win an NBA title before the Hawks do

Edited by Ghosts of Glanville
shock and PokerSteve like this

8 hours ago, raysnill1 said:

I'll try to get into them only because I love the colors and man are those cats ROWDY on the way to a game. I LOVED hearing them doing some kind of chant on the train, it was electric

Atlanta fans love a winner. When they get one they love to cheer for them. All other teams, not so fast my friend.

Flying Falcon likes this

I am not a huge soccer fan, but, this year I have watched more soccer than I have my entire life.

Congrats to the team and city!!

I would also like to add that not only did we have the League MVP, but, we had the runner up on our team as well.  Our guys got top 2 spots, but, only one can win.

AF89 likes this

5 hours ago, shock said:

Falcons cant get half the stadium full on game day, meanwhile United sells out the stadium and put American soccer on the map this weekend with the showing the fans and team had. But yeah, go ahead and “never get into soccer” because our falcons are so fun to watch. 

To be fair, the United are in their 2nd year.  The falcons have been able to disappoint us for way longer.

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

1 hour ago, shc said:

To be fair, the United are in their 2nd year.  The falcons have been able to disappoint us for way longer.

Whichever way they go from here, whatever disappointments they cause, still the soccer team has delivered a championship. They get a long-term, indefinite pass as far as criticism, at least from me.

Have been to a few games. Better crowd engagement than at Falcons games, by a fair margin. If the Birds aren't careful, they'll be 'playing in United's building.'

I don't care what everyone says, Football at its best is more fun to watch than soccer.  I can't imagine anyone able to argue that.  Football has a lot more into it than soccer, but saying all that I have watched almost every United game since the 1st year and enjoy watching it myself.  I am super proud that we won a championship in a major sport league.  Just like a couple others have said, soccer is the most popular sport on this planet and no sport even comes close.  Granted, I would prefer a Superbowl, but I am proud we won Saturday and I watched every minute of it.

3 hours ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

It still baffles my mind that there are people that try to hate on United.  You know, with the ridiculous fan support every where you look in the city and breaking of attendance records and what not.  

8 hours ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

It's a generic, copycat name that has nothing to do with Atlanta.  Wasted opportunity to create a unique name and logo, but both were underwhelming.

I think they are doing just fine with their marketing decisions so far lol. Basically breaking every MLS record there is to break as far as attendance and revenue.

58 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Whichever way they go from here, whatever disappointments they cause, still the soccer team has delivered a championship. They get a long-term, indefinite pass as far as criticism, at least from me.

Yep.  The Five Year Rule is now in effect for AU

AF89 and PokerSteve like this

34 minutes ago, Falcon You said:

I don't care what everyone says, Football at its best is more fun to watch than soccer.  I can't imagine anyone able to argue that.  Football has a lot more into it than soccer, but saying all that I have watched almost every United game since the 1st year and enjoy watching it myself.  I am super proud that we won a championship in a major sport league.  Just like a couple others have said, soccer is the most popular sport on this planet and no sport even comes close.  Granted, I would prefer a Superbowl, but I am proud we won Saturday and I watched every minute of it.

NFL would be hands down funner than soccer if it wasn't stopped every 10 minutes for 2 minutes. I've seen more commercials during football games than possibly the rest of my life combined.

If you are actually a fan of soccer then there is really no comparison between the World Cup soccer and anything else. If your reference for soccer is the MLS though... well yeah, NFL football is a million times better, but that's because the MLS is a third tier legue. You are comparing the premiere league of a sport in the world in the NFL against a league that isn't even in the top 10 leagues in the world. It's like comparing Major League Baseball to High School ball. There are plenty of nuances to soccer that will go unappreciated by the casual fan... same for any sport really. To say there's mroe to football than soccer is relative. 

PokerSteve likes this

2 hours ago, shc said:

Also to be fair that would mean the Falcons have had way longer to win a championship. But haven’t. 

7 hours ago, shock said:

Atlanta United was literally built from scratch and won the MLS Cup in their second season. The team broke all MLS attendance records this year and has the MVP of the league on the team. 

Falcons cant get half the stadium full on game day, meanwhile United sells out the stadium and put American soccer on the map this weekend with the showing the fans and team had. But yeah, go ahead and “never get into soccer” because our falcons are so fun to watch. 

Maybe next stadium we ought to let the soccer fans be the ones buying the PSLs and we can see what happens with attendance for the two teams.

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this