Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doctor Kildare

Question about Blank's soccer team

63 posts in this topic

What does the name "United" mean? I know they have soccer teams in England named that so it apparently means something over there, but what does it mean over here?

18 minutes ago, shc said:

Originally it was when 2 soccer teams united.  Now it is just fashionable the use United, Sport, and Real.

-Note: I know nothing about soccer, but this was a very google-able thing

Thanks for the answer. I was too lazy to Google as I have nil interest in American soccer. Probably a good thing Blank did not call it Real Atlanta or they might start calling the Falcons Unreal Atlanta.

Edited by Doctor Kildare
ratesforless, Borat, fuego and 2 others like this

1 hour ago, Doctor Kildare said:

Thanks for the answer. I was too lazy to Google as I have nil interest in American soccer. Probably a good thing Blank did not call it Real Atlanta or they might start calling the Falcons Unreal Atlanta.

Lol. No problemo. I have nil interest in soccer as well, but your question made me curious. I was figured it would have something to do with flopping. United we Flop

4 hours ago, fuego said:

I watched the end to see the reaction, and glad they won it all, but seriously, it has no effect on my emotions like a Falcons SB win would. I will probably never get into soccer. 

I'll try to get into them only because I love the colors and man are those cats ROWDY on the way to a game. I LOVED hearing them doing some kind of chant on the train, it was electric

8 hours ago, FalconinPA said:

Can't believe they won a title before the Falcons. I don't even want to talk about the hawks!

Hawks and Falcons should be sent packing from this city. I'd rather have expansion teams at this point.

FalconinPA likes this

8 hours ago, shc said:

Lol. No problemo. I have nil interest in soccer as well, but your question made me curious. I was figured it would have something to do with flopping. United we Flop

The true floppers is the team with a worse record than divisional rivals who were without a quarterback at the start of the season for trying to get laid by an uber driver.

GO UNITED!

6 hours ago, fuego said:

I watched the end to see the reaction, and glad they won it all, but seriously, it has no effect on my emotions like a Falcons SB win would. I will probably never get into soccer. 

The Georgia Swarm lacrosse team won a championship recently too, and it mattered about as much as this title in the overall Atlanta sports landscape.  Exciting at first, but not satisfying for long.  Like fast food.

9 hours ago, abstract said:

There was definitely some strategic branding in this.  Arthur has a vision for uniting Atlanta.

A team that won a championship, but with a name that didn't suck, could have done this too.  The extent of his "vision" was a computer poll where people liked the idea of togetherness and he figured, uh, let's call it just united like 40 other teams on Earth and 2 others in Major League Kickball (there's a team called Union too).

2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Hawks and Falcons should be sent packing from this city. I'd rather have expansion teams at this point.

If they left you wouldn't be getting a team to quickly .... in either sport 

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

At one point, the Falcons (and Thrashers) were expansion teams.  What matters is ownership and management, and (gasp) Blank owns the Falcons too.

Atlanta United was literally built from scratch and won the MLS Cup in their second season. The team broke all MLS attendance records this year and has the MVP of the league on the team. 

Falcons cant get half the stadium full on game day, meanwhile United sells out the stadium and put American soccer on the map this weekend with the showing the fans and team had. But yeah, go ahead and “never get into soccer” because our falcons are so fun to watch. 

I wasn't a soccer fan until about 6 years ago when I started habitually watching the Premier League on Saturday mornings.  Yeah, I would watch World Cup, even back when the US Women's team won it on American soil.  But that was about it.

When Atlanta got the MLS team I watched them from the very beginning, mostly because I got away from baseball during the spring, and there's no football until late summer. 

United was infectious, impossible to not enjoy such fan support and such exciting soccer; they didn't just win the cup, they have been by far the most exciting team in MLS since they began.  

I get that lots of people dont' care for it, but I kind of feel sorry for them because it's been thrilling to watch this team, and satisfying to see Atlanta fans finally be able to cut loose and celebrate a winner. 

3 hours ago, UK13 said:

If they left you wouldn't be getting a team to quickly .... in either sport 

And Given what both teams have done in their history how is that a bad thing?

4 hours ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

A team that won a championship, but with a name that didn't suck, could have done this too.  The extent of his "vision" was a computer poll where people liked the idea of togetherness and he figured, uh, let's call it just united like 40 other teams on Earth and 2 others in Major League Kickball (there's a team called Union too).

Confederate Avenue was recently changed to United Avenue.  Just sayin.

Just realized there isn’t actually a major league kickball league and you were making an attempt to trash soccer.  LOL are you dense?  Why are you hating on something that that that brings success to our city? 

Sorry if you don’t brah

Edited by abstract
Flying Falcon likes this

The Georgia Swarm lacrosse team won a championship recently too, and it mattered about as much as this title in the overall Atlanta sports landscape.  Exciting at first, but not satisfying for long.  Like fast food.

So if United goes on to win two more championships in a row and become the first MLS dynasty and keep spearheading change and growth within their league and turn out to be really, really satisfying for years to come you’ll be on board?  

Put on a scarf bro feels nice

10 minutes ago, abstract said:

Just realized there isn’t actually a major league kickball league and you were making an attempt to trash soccer.  LOL are you dense?  Why are you hating on something that that that brings success to our city? 

Sorry if you don’t brah

I don’t get it either. Soccer (football) is far and away the most popular sport on the planet whether the dude wants to admit it or not. And Atlanta United’s players and fans just put American soccer on the map this weekend. 

But yeah, it’s cool to trash the team that plays in the same stadium as us but can actually fill it with dedicated fans AND actually finish in the championship to bring some success to the city. 

Edited by shock