Facts, not fiction

RichardCNile

Facts:

• Injuries played a major role in the failure of this season, but so also has the lack of quality depth provided by our GM.  
  • TD has not drafted a good offensive lineman outside of the first round.  Some would say he (Mathews) hasn't performed as expected for a first round pick.  
  • DQ lacks an understanding of clock and game management.  He has proven this as recent as this last game, but most notably the SB loss, but there have been several games where his misfire on timeouts, etc have cost us a win.  
  • DQ's insistence to keep SS; has greatly eroded the confidence of the entire team.  
  • SS is not ready for the NFL.  If you don't think that's a fact, look at what this offense did in 2016 and then under him in the last 2 years.  
  • Armstrong is not a good Special Teams coach.  We've had so many trick plays against us and blocked punts that he cannot keep his job.  
  • To call the Falcons organization an organization is a fallacy.  Right now; they are not organized at all and it is apparent and on film with most every game over the past 2 seasons.  
  • The Falcon's team under DQ is undisciplined.  Penalties at the worst times, lack of attention to detail and inability to show up week in and week out ready to play winning football.  
  • MM is not ready to be a DC.  He does not understand game strategy.  He is playing checkers at a chess match.  

Convince me otherwise.  

While even the bad teams are getting better as the season goes on, our Falcons are getting worse.  It's an embarrassment. 

who is the alpha?  Who is the silverback?  Who will demand adherence to the details.  I believe in leading with the carrot, but they also gotta know you got the stick and ain't afraid to use it.  Fire SS, Cut some of these lame OL and for god sakes cut Beasley.   Let people know failure will not be tolerated in this organization... oh and also fire Armstrong.  

Edited by RichardCNile

I pretty much agree with everything you said.  What bothers me the most about this team is the defensive philosophy.  The ONLY time you should ever send 3 pass rushers is in a prevent situation, yet we do it all the time... and we're supposed to have a defensive minded coach.  It was a huge mistake getting rid of Clayborne and Poe and now our defense even at full strength would still be in the bottom third of the league.  Clayborne was a money decision but I don't understand why they got rid of Poe.  

26 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I love threads where the OP says "convince me otherwise" or "convince me I'm wrong" because that means they're not interested in having a legit discussion. Their mind is completely made up and nothing anyone says will change it. It's just a complete waste of time.

I think it’s a good topic....let’s not over analyze the OP here

Not that I disagree with your opinions, but a fact is indisputable such as "steam comes from water" or "men cannot have babies" or "Only Matt Ryan played QB for us yesterday".  In fact, the very suggestion that you can be convinced that your "facts" are wrong suggests they are really opinions.

- The Falcons did have to replace several key starters due to injuries this year (fact) and they have been a large part of the reason the team collapsed (opinion).  The team did insert backups on the roster to start for those injured players (fact) but they have proven to not match the level of play of their priors (opinion). 

Do not disagree with this but people complain about us having Schaub around doing nothing but few want to be a backup on a team if they think they can be a starter elsewhere.  If we had not had injuries to our safeties or perhaps our LB, would we be complaining about the money we are paying our backups at those positions.  The salary cap is tight and is it better to have mediocre starters with solid backups or above average starters with below average backups?

- Sarkisian at 14-15 has had a less successful regular season record at OC than Shanahan had at 19-13 (fact).  The offensive performance has declined in points, yards/game, and other stats since Sarkisian took over (fact).  Sarkisian had no prior experience coaching in the NFL (fact) and the offensive decline can be attributed to his lack of readiness for the NFL (opinion).

Again, I do not disagree with this but if Sarkisian was with Quinn right now, he is likely passing the blame onto the offensive line's decline with its injuries and player decline possibly due to age.  He had a very successful game in Washington where the line had a great game and correspondingly the whole offense performed well.  He will likely try to convince Quinn that a revamped line is all that is needed and that he deserves another year.  He will also point to Ryan's success this year and the need for Ryan to not have to deal with another OC after 3 changes already in the last 5 years.

- The Falcons did get hit with a higher than average number of penalties yesterday with 13 (fact) and also had a -2 turnover margin adding to its negative margin for the season (fact).  These are signs that the team is undisciplined with a coach who is not properly calling out players for their mistakes (opinion).

I do not disagree that we have had too many penalties and turnovers this year compared to the past.  However, Quinn certainly should be questioning how ridiculous some of the penalties called on us were relative to the Packers.  Oddly, our best drive came on the opening drive where the referees perhaps showed us a possible favoritism.  As for the turnovers, Quinn can blame Hooper for the interception but he also knows part of the blame belongs to Ryan, but does he not feel Ryan goes through enough punishment with the hits he takes?  As for the fumble, he saw Sanu make some great catches and really wonders if he should blame his center who he definitely does not want to tick off too much.  And, does he consider yelling at Deion Jones for his dropped interception after how hard he worked to get back to the team from his injury?

18 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

Not that I disagree with your opinions, but a fact is indisputable such as "steam comes from water" or "men cannot have babies" or "Only Matt Ryan played QB for us yesterday".  In fact, the very suggestion that you can be convinced that your "facts" are wrong suggests they are really opinions.

- The Falcons did have to replace several key starters due to injuries this year (fact) and they have been a large part of the reason the team collapsed (opinion).  The team did insert backups on the roster to start for those injured players (fact) but they have proven to not match the level of play of their priors (opinion). 

Do not disagree with this but people complain about us having Schaub around doing nothing but few want to be a backup on a team if they think they can be a starter elsewhere.  If we had not had injuries to our safeties or perhaps our LB, would we be complaining about the money we are paying our backups at those positions.  The salary cap is tight and is it better to have mediocre starters with solid backups or above average starters with below average backups?

- Sarkisian at 14-15 has had a less successful regular season record at OC than Shanahan had at 19-13 (fact).  The offensive performance has declined in points, yards/game, and other stats since Sarkisian took over (fact).  Sarkisian had no prior experience coaching in the NFL (fact) and the offensive decline can be attributed to his lack of readiness for the NFL (opinion).

Again, I do not disagree with this but if Sarkisian was with Quinn right now, he is likely passing the blame onto the offensive line's decline with its injuries and player decline possibly due to age.  He had a very successful game in Washington where the line had a great game and correspondingly the whole offense performed well.  He will likely try to convince Quinn that a revamped line is all that is needed and that he deserves another year.  He will also point to Ryan's success this year and the need for Ryan to not have to deal with another OC after 3 changes already in the last 5 years.

- The Falcons did get hit with a higher than average number of penalties yesterday with 13 (fact) and also had a -2 turnover margin adding to its negative margin for the season (fact).  These are signs that the team is undisciplined with a coach who is not properly calling out players for their mistakes (opinion).

I do not disagree that we have had too many penalties and turnovers this year compared to the past.  However, Quinn certainly should be questioning how ridiculous some of the penalties called on us were relative to the Packers.  Oddly, our best drive came on the opening drive where the referees perhaps showed us a possible favoritism.  As for the turnovers, Quinn can blame Hooper for the interception but he also knows part of the blame belongs to Ryan, but does he not feel Ryan goes through enough punishment with the hits he takes?  As for the fumble, he saw Sanu make some great catches and really wonders if he should blame his center who he definitely does not want to tick off too much.  And, does he consider yelling at Deion Jones for his dropped interception after how hard he worked to get back to the team from his injury?

Fantastic position and well stated! Though, some would attempt to challenge some points...this is a well thought out position, with stated contrasting points. This is what offers value vs., a snarky comment about a cheeseburger with relish and a side of tots as a retort! 

+ 1 for an intelligent and lucid statement! 

2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

I didn’t see facts, only fiction. Convince me otherwise.

Has TD drafted any good lineman outside of the first round?   No.  That’s a fact and so are the other points.  

This tream is undisciplined.  Proof is the game film.  Proof is the penalties.  Proof is the inability to tackle.   

Shall I continue?   

I wonder if AB’s MLB championship will cause him to rethink things.  I know a LOT of credit is being given to their GM (or equililant) for “building this team.”

AB ain’t stupid.  He will evaluate what worked in his MLS franchise and try to learn from if not replicate it.   

TD was on thin ice before DQ arrived.   I think it’s obvuous now.  He needs to get in his bicycle and take his hairdo and go back to pickin boogers and not NFL players

The biggest concern for me is on the offensive side of the ball.

Sark was given experienced  help to bring and make the offense more consistent the latter has happend we can't move the ball on the ground and it has stalled out everything else.

First things first for me that's my first order of business the Sark/Knapp experiment is in the book for me.I'm now ready to move on.

2 hours ago, RichardCNile said:

Has TD drafted any good lineman outside of the first round?   No.  That’s a fact and so are the other points.  

This tream is undisciplined.  Proof is the game film.  Proof is the penalties.  Proof is the inability to tackle.   

Shall I continue?   

What an absolute fool TD is no wait a minute it's the most winningest the team has been in its history.

Oline be ****ed there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Fact.

5 hours ago, RichardCNile said:

Facts:

• Injuries played a major role in the failure of this season, but so also has the lack of quality depth provided by our GM.  
  • TD has not drafted a good offensive lineman outside of the first round.  Some would say he (Mathews) hasn't performed as expected for a first round pick.  
  • DQ lacks an understanding of clock and game management.  He has proven this as recent as this last game, but most notably the SB loss, but there have been several games where his misfire on timeouts, etc have cost us a win.  
  • DQ's insistence to keep SS; has greatly eroded the confidence of the entire team.  
  • SS is not ready for the NFL.  If you don't think that's a fact, look at what this offense did in 2016 and then under him in the last 2 years.  
  • Armstrong is not a good Special Teams coach.  We've had so many trick plays against us and blocked punts that he cannot keep his job.  
  • To call the Falcons organization an organization is a fallacy.  Right now; they are not organized at all and it is apparent and on film with most every game over the past 2 seasons.  
  • The Falcon's team under DQ is undisciplined.  Penalties at the worst times, lack of attention to detail and inability to show up week in and week out ready to play winning football.  
  • MM is not ready to be a DC.  He does not understand game strategy.  He is playing checkers at a chess match.  

Convince me otherwise.  

While even the bad teams are getting better as the season goes on, our Falcons are getting worse.  It's an embarrassment. 

who is the alpha?  Who is the silverback?  Who will demand adherence to the details.  I believe in leading with the carrot, but they also gotta know you got the stick and ain't afraid to use it.  Fire SS, Cut some of these lame OL and for god sakes cut Beasley.   Let people know failure will not be tolerated in this organization... oh and also fire Armstrong.  

99% of the stuff you posted is actually just your opinion, and not factual. And about 50% is wrong 

13 hours ago, RichardCNile said:

Facts:

Convince me otherwise.  

I can't disagree with any of your points.  They are all spot on.  This organization has taken a major step back.  Sure, with a good off season full of the right moves and some guys getting healthy, things can improve.  There has to be turnover in the coaching/front office ranks as well.  That being said, guys like Julio are not getting any younger.  Julio has put up big numbers.  I've noticed he isn't running away from guys like he did 2 or 3 years ago.  I know Julio just set a record, but my eyes tell me he is starting to slow down some.  Its just a shame that two years have been wasted.  2016 might as well have been a waste as we didn't finish the drill.

13 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Sark has been an OC in the NFL now for two years. To say his lack of NFL experience is the issue really doesn't hold water anymore. He's been in the NFL for two years. The "fact" might be that he just isn't very good at it.

I read an article over the offseason about OC's and their average NFL years of experience at OC and coaching in the NFL.  

I can't recall the exact numbers, but I think average NFL experience of active OC's in the NFL was around 12-15 years and average years as OC in NFL was around 5-7.  

Regardless of the exact numbers it pointed out what a long-shot SS was to be a good OC.