NCFalconfan

The Time Out Before Halftime

27 posts in this topic

The scenario: Falcons are down 17-7, ATL with 3 timeouts GB with 1 timeout with 43 seconds on the clock. Rodgers has just been sacked on 1st down and pushed back to the ATL 48 yard line.

With the sack, the clock would still be running forcing GB to either burn its last time out or hurry to the line and clock the ball that would cost them a down or it would basically take running the ball out of the equation because of the clock situation making life easier for your defense because they could guess what was coming next would most likely be a pass. 

Instead Quinn does GB a favor and calls a timeout here. It's 2nd and 22 now but since the clock has been stopped and GB still has a timeout the run is still an option. Next play is a long QB scramble and GB eventually kicks the FG. 

Here's what I don't get: You call a timeout when your opponent is on your side of the 50, lets say that the Falcons stop the Packers from getting another first down there. The likely scenarios are you either get the ball back at the 20 with maybe 30 seconds and no timeouts, the punter pins you inside the 20 with no timeouts and 30 seconds left, or GB gains a few more yards and is kicking a long FG with maybe 30 seconds left. You are basically calling timeouts in the HOPE that a kicker misses a FG and gives you decent field position on the miss. You are still dealing with having no timeouts and your offense is in an obvious passing situation. Not only that but when was the last time this defense really showed the ability to stop anyone to the point where you are giving them the benefit of the doubt that they would actually stop GB from advancing on 2nd or 3rd down?

Just another example of horrible game management IMO. 

If we're playing the if game... it doesn't matter if Beasley and the gang remove the grease from their hands and sack Rodgers for the loss, rather than his scramble. If that happens the Falcons call another time out at 3-30 with 30 seconds on the clock. In a perfect world the Falcons force an incompletion and then a punt and get 15-20 seconds to get into FG range starting from inside their 20 with one time out. 

Is it possible, sure but not easy. 

Quinn isn't playing the percentages at any point. He is choosing to be aggressive for aggressive sake. Maybe he wants to kick start his team into playing harder but this isn't the way to do it. 

Here’s what Dan Quinn does.

He looks over and says ‘How many timeouts do we have?  Well we better use one’

He doesn’t ask what the situation is.  Just how many they have.  Maybe he thinks there’s a penalty if you keep them.

AND this is after the other HC burns through 2 timeouts and all challenges in the first 3 minutes of the game.

Flying Falcon and PokerSteve like this

Quinn needs to stop calling timeouts for the other teams offense. Use them wisely when they guarantee you get the ball back. Dumb mistake. Given the other team has Aaron Rodgers this just makes the decision even more baffling. If anyone is going to score in a pressure situation it's him.

NCFalconfan likes this

10 minutes ago, Emmitt said:

As we all know this wasn't the first time he's done this ....

Nobody to confront him or show him the error of his ways? He apparently doesn't understand how time-outs can work to your advantage if used correctly. :ninja:

Flying Falcon and Emmitt like this

Are you guys really still surprised at our inability to coach properly. This has been a problem since day 1. Difference from then and now is we had the players that could mask the coaching blunders. The players we have now don't have the talent to cover up those inabilities. Bunch of look like Tarzan play like Jane's running thru the jungle following a person who can't navigate the forest yet. 

I guess what's so frustrating, is that he keeps making the same dumb mistakes.  He keeps helping the other teams by using his timeouts, time & time again.

He's not learning from his mistakes.  I'm not saying he needs to go, but he's making it very hard not to.

Flying Falcon likes this

i've never coached a down of football in my life.  however--i am 51 years old and played tecmo bowl pretty religiously on my nintendo back in the day and just by playing that video game i understand how to call timeouts better than dan quinn.  he simply doesn't have a freaking clue on when and when not to call timeouts.  he is awful on any type of game management situation period!  he has never impressed me with this since he's been here!  it's really mind-boggling as to the amount of simple football 101 stuff he misses.  i'm sure he's a great guy and everything but so am i--problem is i'm not getting paid millions of dollars.  he is--and it looks like mr. blank is going to continue to let him and this staff make those idiotic basic football mistakes.  

now to other members of the staff that need to be gone:

dimitrioff--bye

keith "freaking" armstrong-BYE!  i'm so sick of his return men being the laughing stock of this league.  hey armstrong!  please instruct your sucky returners that if the ball is kicked into the end zone that if you stay in the end zone-your offense starts at the 25 yard line.  it's really pretty simple stuff!  especially since we never bust a return past the 25 and if we ever DO--which is almost never--then there is a penalty!  now remember-i've never coached a football game in my life-BUT-i do know the difference in the 25 yard line and inside the 10 if you decide to bring it out.  yesterday--the moron didn't let it go through the end zone instead-runs it about to yards and fumbles--luckily gets it back and then ryan proceeds to throw his lazy out route to hooper that is taken to the house.  starts with the special teams being dumb!  to be honest i can't even think of all the bonehead stuff armstrong has been allowed to get away with since he's been here--but i do know that is punt team has given up more punt blocks than any unit in football over the past 5 years.  he's a joke--i would love to know what we are paying this joke!

sark:  bye

dude please--play action doesn't work if you can't run the ball in the first place!  quit running play action if you're down more than 20 points.  this isn't the falcons defense in practice--i know they fall for that crap.  but any nfl defense not named atlanta is not going to bite on play action if they are up 20 or haven't given up a run all day.  also, please put some throws in your plan that are more than just 10 yard curls.  i'm so tired of watching the all-22 cam and not seeing one receiver beyond 10 yards!  and all of these little 2 yard throws--the best thing that can happen is a 2 yard completion--the worst things are happening:  sack, int. or fumble.  let's just cut those out and run a draw.  oh yeah, and you can't run a screen pass on a team that is not having to sell out to get to the qb.  green bay rushing four doesn't tell me to throw screen.  in fact, it makes me laugh!

manual:  bye

no coverage, no legitimate pass rush, we finally had a blitz get home yesterday, line backer play is laughable-especially when riley is in the game.

please meet with your front four and let them know that if all of them are within about 3-feet of the qb--they are throwing a screen!!!!  dude we ain't ever getting that much heat.  also, how about spending some time throwing the ball to our defenders!   alford can't catch a cold, trufant has hands of stone, deion jones dropped a ball somehow yesterday that was impossible to drop--would've been a score!  green bay's guy didn't drop his!  k. neal dropped balls last year that cost us a playoff game.  ricardo allen can't catch!  what are we doing at practice?  that's waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many drops!  looks like julio and ridley been working with them!

blank:  how can you watch this crap and not do something about it?  i almost could understand giving quinn another chance after all of the injuries--but after watching the last few weeks--i've changed my mine!  injuries or not--quinn has not improved on any in game stuff since the first day he got here!  it's time to cut bait with him!  probably should've been done after the super bowl debacle!  definitely needs to happen now!  as for the other guys i mentioned--they should already be gone!

this is coming from a guy that's missed 0 games since 1972!  season ticket holder in the dome from '92-01!  and someone that actually still cares about this franchise.  don't wait any longer--this team needs new blood and a lot better coaches!

Edited by jgsbirds1
NCFalconfan, mqg96 and Emmitt like this

3 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

He is in a fantasy world thinking he has a defense capable of stopping something

And for the offense to do anything.  They haven't been good for 6 weeks now. All of it is fantasy land.  

I go back to the saints game on Thanksgiving and deferring the opening kickoff.  Who gives the saints the possession to start the game when our defense cannot stop anyone?  Their is a lot of bad coaching decisions and denial going on in Flowery Branch. 

Flying Falcon likes this

4 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

Well if it hasn’t already been known...

Quinn doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Nicht Shisa Freund !!!!!

3 hours ago, falconut1991 said:

I guess what's so frustrating, is that he keeps making the same dumb mistakes.  He keeps helping the other teams by using his timeouts, time & time again.

He's not learning from his mistakes.  I'm not saying he needs to go, but he's making it very hard not to.

It's pure stubbornness , that's the way he sees it, and that's the way he's gonna do it.  Everybody else is wrong. 

5 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

He is in a fantasy world thinking he has a defense capable of stopping something

It's weird too. Sometimes he coaches like he doesn't trust them at all with crazy "go fors" on 4th down on offense. Then other times he coaches like they're the '85 Bears. He's totally inconsistent fr game to game and even within games.

Sadly, this is not a new thing with DQ.  

Being able to manage the clock is important.  Don't believe me... see here.  They quote that effective clock mgmt accounts for 3-4 wins or losses on a team each year.  

https://digitalcommons.kent.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1031&context=sport

Unfortunately, DQ does not have a brilliance for this. He has proven that in several games where he calls TO's at times where he gives the advantage to the opponents.  

The now infamous SB was but one (biggest) example of this lack of understanding.  Had he understood this element called time, he would have run the ball 2x after the Julio catch at the 22 and kicked a field goal, forcing NE to burn their timeouts or let the clock dwindle down to less than 2 minutes.  instead we all know what happened.  We handed the ball to NE with both time and time-outs.  

I like DQ, but this won't work going forward.  Unless he hires a math savant who just understands time and numbers and can advise him in a heart-beat what todo; we will continue to lose games at the hands of the clock, and bad decisions.  

Road Warrior and gtech1 like this

The unfortunate thing is Quinn has never been a strategic coach. He's had a fair amount of success as a head coach by simply steamrolling teams so any of his random bad decisions don't affect the outcomes of wins. However, the team looks farther and farther away from the steamrolling days of 2016 and it becomes more and more questionable if he has the mettle to navigate a team crawling back from the brink and clawing victories. 

5 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Nobody to confront him or show him the error of his ways? He apparently doesn't understand how time-outs can work to your advantage if used correctly. :ninja:

He doesn't have a clue. Reminds me of Smitty with his time out management.

6 hours ago, Jesus said:

If we're playing the if game... it doesn't matter if Beasley and the gang remove the grease from their hands and sack Rodgers for the loss, rather than his scramble. If that happens the Falcons call another time out at 3-30 with 30 seconds on the clock. In a perfect world the Falcons force an incompletion and then a punt and get 15-20 seconds to get into FG range starting from inside their 20 with one time out. 

Is it possible, sure but not easy. 

Quinn isn't playing the percentages at any point. He is choosing to be aggressive for aggressive sake. Maybe he wants to kick start his team into playing harder but this isn't the way to do it. 

C'mon Jesus. You talk about the if game. What if Rodgers completes a pass there? It's still a dumb coaching move, because you spared them a Timeout. Green Bay was gonna let the clock run down, and possibly try a Hail Mary. Quinn allowed them to run any play that they had in their playbook.

1 hour ago, FalconinPA said:

He doesn't have a clue. Reminds me of Smitty with his time out management.

Smitty was very good 2008-2012. He used time puts really well. Too bad he got burnt out with the lack of talent in 2014.

7 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Smitty was very good 2008-2012. He used time puts really well. Too bad he got burnt out with the lack of talent in 2014.

Bad personnel decisions. We should have did everything to bring Gonzalez back.