JDFIII

Ron Washington

16 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, JDFIII said:

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsBraves/status/905556194730754049

Here is a great video to give you some insight into our club, and it's defensive improvements. This video is also why I believe Riley will improve drastically when he gets here.

Riley is already very good. But Wash makes everyone better.

ATLBrave, Falconsfan567 and JDFIII like this

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

We (Rangers) had Wash for years but our defenses got worse.

It's different when you are a manager compared to an assistant on the staff. He can devote a lot more of his time to individual instruction. 

JDFIII likes this

Just now, ATLBrave said:

It's different when you are a manager compared to an assistant on the staff. He can devote a lot more of his time to individual instruction. 

Actually he did that. He took troubled defensive players under his wing  and they got worse.

Good luck with that

Just now, WhenFalconsWin said:

Actually he did that. He took troubled defensive players under his wing  and they got worse.

Good luck with that

Well I’ll take the literal years of experiences and successes (including the significant improvement of Dansby Swanson) he’s had over some unverifiable anecdote. 

5 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Good luck with that

Braves defense improved greatly with Wash, especially Dansby.

slickgadawg likes this

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Braves defense improved greatly with Wash, especially Dansby.

That's good for y'all.  Because under Wash the Rangers were a bad fielding team. He had one respectable season in 2012 the Rangers were 4th in fielding

2007 29th

2008 30th

2009 25th

2010 19th

2011 24th

2012 4th

2013 13th

Just now, WhenFalconsWin said:

That's good for y'all.  Because under Wash the Rangers were a bad fielding team. He had one respectable season in 2012 the Rangers were 4th in fielding

2007 29th

2008 30th

2009 25th

2010 19th

2011 24th

2012 4th

2013 13th

What stat is this? Fielding percentage? Also, could it be that maybe the Rangers over the years have just had a lot of bad fielder? I can think of several guys they've had over the last 2 decades that were below average fielders and not even Jesus can fix that.

35 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

What stat is this? Fielding percentage? Also, could it be that maybe the Rangers over the years have just had a lot of bad fielder? I can think of several guys they've had over the last 2 decades that were below average fielders and not even Jesus can fix that.

Yes, it is Fielding percentage. Even with bad fielder's Wash was supposed to coach them up.  He always made references to that every spring training. 

1 minute ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Yes, it is Fielding percentage. Even with bad fielder's Wash was supposed to coach them up.  He always made references to that every spring training. 

First off, fielding percentage is a terrible stat when it comes to judging how good or bad a defense is. Secondly, you can only "coach" up a player so much, if they don't have the ability to get better because their talent is maxed out then they don't have it in them.

For example, I can go out and field ground balls all day long with the best defensive coach known to man coaching me and I'm never going to be Ozzie Smith. Just ain't gonna happen. I ain't even gonna be Dan Uggla. Why? Because my talent is extremely limited when it comes to playing infield defense.

slickgadawg likes this

8 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

First off, fielding percentage is a terrible stat when it comes to judging how good or bad a defense is. Secondly, you can only "coach" up a player so much, if they don't have the ability to get better because their talent is maxed out then they don't have it in them.

For example, I can go out and field ground balls all day long with the best defensive coach known to man coaching me and I'm never going to be Ozzie Smith. Just ain't gonna happen. I ain't even gonna be Dan Uggla. Why? Because my talent is extremely limited when it comes to playing infield defense.

Your last paragraph states the premise of why I made my replies in the first place.

Fielding percentage does not take into account range so I do agree with that premise.

Ron Washington has a proven track record in baseball as both a teacher and a manager.  Not knocking the current manager but Washington SHOULD have been the current Braves manager.

Edited by slickgadawg