Are the United and Falcons like Competing Brothers?

Is Arthur Blank the Father of 2 sports teams in Atlanta who have become like 2 competing brothers trying to beat each other for popularity and on-field success?

If the United Win, is there going to be a battle in the news outlets to say that the United are now the hottest thing in the world?

If the Falcons Lose, is there going to be actual smiles on the faces of United fans?

I personally do not enjoy soccer but realize that the success of the United can only help this city.  However, I really do not feel that there should be an influx of United fans pouring over the Falcons boards when the former is at its peak while the latter is probably at its lowest in years.

The United and Falcons should both be competing to be the best in their leagues but not against each other.

On 12/10/2018 at 9:50 AM, jlrfalcon said:

Is Arthur Blank the Father of 2 sports teams in Atlanta who have become like 2 competing brothers trying to beat each other for popularity and on-field success?

If the United Win, is there going to be a battle in the news outlets to say that the United are now the hottest thing in the world?

If the Falcons Lose, is there going to be actual smiles on the faces of United fans?

I personally do not enjoy soccer but realize that the success of the United can only help this city.  However, I really do not feel that there should be an influx of United fans pouring over the Falcons boards when the former is at its peak while the latter is probably at its lowest in years.

The United and Falcons should both be competing to be the best in their leagues but not against each other.

This is interesting....I'm a diehard Atlanta everything. It's hard to explain my love for both teams...basically Falcons got put in the back seat after riding shotgun for so many years. Reasons for that is simple. Superbowl 51 and United winning the MLS cup. 

United winning it all makes them hot because it's been 23 years since the city has experienced that. Especially with the ugly rep that Atlanta has of being chokers.

Falcons losing doesn't put a smile on my face it just doesn't affect me at all now....because United has a Championship. It numbs the pain.

I totally agree the fan base should not bash each other especially if we are all from the A. 

I wonder how Blank has to deal with all this?

On 12/10/2018 at 9:50 AM, jlrfalcon said:

Lol only to guys like you who have a problem with soccer.

To me it's a good time to be an Atlanta fan for once.

• 3 months later...
On 12/11/2018 at 6:16 PM, Aston Villa FC said:

This is interesting....I'm a diehard Atlanta everything. It's hard to explain my love for both teams...basically Falcons got put in the back seat after riding shotgun for so many years. Reasons for that is simple. Superbowl 51 and United winning the MLS cup. 

United winning it all makes them hot because it's been 23 years since the city has experienced that. Especially with the ugly rep that Atlanta has of being chokers.

Falcons losing doesn't put a smile on my face it just doesn't affect me at all now....because United has a Championship. It numbs the pain.

I totally agree the fan base should not bash each other especially if we are all from the A. 

I wonder how Blank has to deal with all this?

I'm in the same boat... i support all ATL teams (as my sig is evidence of) .... but United's hype and atmosphere is wild

• 3 months later...

I like United, and even had season tickets last year. They've got a a very deep, loyal, niche following.

They are, under no circumstances (or will ever be so long as the MLS stays in the 7-10 league range in the world), ever going to overtake the Falcons. 

From an optics standpoint, the Falcons send-off parade to Super Bowl 51 was 5x the size of the parade that the United got for winning it. 

And, while there are a select amount of Atlantans who do deeply, deeply care above United above all else, for most, it's a fun hobby. The MLS Cup Ratings in Atlanta was at an 11.5 The Falcons average regular season rating in town last year was 17.5, down from a 20.1 the year before. Playoff games in 2016-17 drew an average of 31ish. The Super Bowl was in the 50s. The average rating of an ATL UTD game this season is around a 1. 

Basic multiples imply that sports fans in Atlanta watch and care about the Falcons roughly 17x more than the local soccer team. 

What makes United fun is the atmosphere, incredibly low ticket prices (and an A+ venue), and the fact it produces an "event like" atmosphere when Football isn't around. It's fun, but once football season kicks off, The United become little more than a score notification until the playoffs. Under no circumstances are they even in the same arena in popularity, value, or social conscious of the Falcons. 

Edited by US-41 Falcon

The last guy nailed it.  Soccer is fun since it's new here, but not one of the big boys yet.  Maybe never.  Their fans get real offended when you say that, but it's true.  Plus some of their fans must be new to sports to not be killed by all the losing in this town.  Only a Superbowl win will fix the sports curse here.

• 4 weeks later...