Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
E. T.

Why are you a Falcons fan?

58 posts in this topic

Became a Falcons fan ever since I watched my very first football game. It was in 2001 in the game where Vick was playing against the Miami Dolphins. There are plenty of times where I just despise this team (like right now), but can't imagine rooting for anyone else.

Anytime the Falcons are having a terrible year (which is more often than not), I ask myself this very question. 

The Falcons are my hometown team, and have been since the mid 70s. I've thought about giving up on the Falcons many times, but then I just remind myself that it is only entertainment and nothing more. The good times come and go. The Falcons successes and failures are their own and not mine. I'm merely a fan, and can do nothing but support the organization as a fan. I've also realized that it is pointless to let the Falcons woes affect my overall happiness. They'll be fun to watch again one day, but it won't be during this season.

Like they say....they are the home team.   Just like you wouldn't pull for LSU over the Dawgs.  I started  watching when I came out of the military in 1970.  I have had a lot of heartbreak, but had some fun too.  It's like having teenage kids.  They may really tick you off but you still love them.

PokerSteve likes this

I liked the logo and colors as a kid and for some reason decided at the end of my elementary years to become a Falcons fan. Sometimes I look back and wonder why I didn’t go with a different franchise. 

I'm a fan because I was always smart in school, always great at sports, always had the best-looking girlfriends and was the most handsome. Obviously, I badly needed balance in my life. Something that failed as hard as I succeeded.

And then out of the blue, Atlanta's Rankin Smith was granted an NFL franchise. Only Yen and Yang and up and down have a more harmonious relationship than me and my Falcons. :ninja::lol:

1 hour ago, high impact said:

But that is unfair to teams out west or up north. It would give Atlanta a leg up as it should only take about a week round trip. The other teams may not of even gotten the letter by then. 

I was 10...Reasoning isn't always your strongest cognitive characteristic at 10.

PokerSteve and high impact like this

2 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

I was 10...Reasoning isn't always your strongest cognitive characteristic at 10.

Well ya know you could always change your mind. Chalk it up to was was I thinking I was just 10. Time to correct my past mistake. 

GhostofGritz likes this

3 hours ago, E. T. said:

Just a curious question as to why you are a Falcons fan and what continues to keep you as a fan?

Well im a fan because win or lose it still runs in my blood because i was born and raised in Atlanta so even if i stop watching the falcons i still want to know what's going on so it lives in me whether i want it or not... Even if i claim another team like say im a "cowboys fan" i still will watch the Atlanta Falcons and want to see them win! Even if i wear cowboys gear and root for Dallas and say im a fan if Dallas plays the Falcons I'd still want the falcons to win against Dallas

Edited by BraveFalcon11

i was born and raised in the heart of falcon country in chattanooga, tn.  my dad got me into watching the falcons, braves, and hawks at the very young age of 5.  we watched them on tv or have went to games ever since.  my whole family likes the falcons.  i was a season ticket holder from '92-'01 and loved going to all of those games in the dome.  i've seen the birds play on the road too:  '91 wildcard playoff at new orleans was one of my favorite games period, been to clemson to see them lose to the panthers, been to charlotte, been to st. louis and to nashville.  we used to go down to sewanee and watch training camp back in the day as well.  good times!!!  i've been to flowery branch a time or two as well.  i also got to cover the falcons several times while working in television in chattanooga.  those were some awesome times.  

i'm married now and have three boys.  my boys love the falcons too.  my wife--not so much!  she doesn't understand why i get so upset while watching these guys!  i probably should be used to it by now.  but even yesterday--my blood was boiling at all of the stupid mistakes we make....but in the end it doesn't really matter because i will always root for the falcons.  and hawks and braves!!!  my dad trained me that way.  he passed a way in 1990 and missed the '91 team which was my favorite team along with the super bowl years.

PokerSteve likes this

1991. I was a young chap.  My uncle and dad used to take me to games at Fulton County stadium. I remember when they told me the Falcons wont play here anymore after the playoff game. I thought that meant the end of the Falcons so I cried. Lol. Team moved to the Georgia Dome and I recall vividly boarding Marta at Kensington station to go to my first game there. Ive been a fan all my life. Never liked any other team outside of the Jags because of my affiliation and affinity for UF and the city of Jacksonville. 

VTCrunkler and PokerSteve like this

In the 80's, coverage of NFL was really bad in Australia. On Tuesday morning I would look at a newspaper where just the scores were printed in a column with all other sports results. Thats honestly how I found out who won that week! One game was replayed each week, on Tuesday night at 10 or 11pm - I would usually videotape it and watch it Wednesday when I got home from school.

At the end of the year, I could find a season in review magazine; and at the start of the next season the Athlon/Lindy preview magazine. I would pour over these things and read the whole thing word for word. The back always had the stats for the whole season. They would list all of the RB's by yards, WR's by catches etc. Looking at them, I realised the whole world was sleeping on the Atlanta Falcons. Despite poor records, they were set to explode! They had so many offensive players with good stats and I decided they would be my team. I didn't realise at the time it was due to the run and shoot over inflating their stats, but like so many others here, I was too loyal to change once . made the call.

I became a fan of the Dawgs and Falcons in 2002 when I was a little kid. My dad is a UGA alumni and got me into both teams. 2002 was year 2 for Mark Richt when they went 13-1 and won the SEC title & Sugar Bowl. 2002 was the year Michael Vick made a name for himself with the Falcons and went 9-6-1 and upset the Packers at Lambeau Field in the wildcard. 2002 was the perfect year for me to get into the teams. Although as a little kid I was still very new to football and still understanding the game. Of course I didn't feel the emotion much at that young of an age as I do now as an adult. 

while playing backyard ball with the boys when I was 9 I said "there's no quarterbacks named Chris" which is my name. My friend said yeah there Chris Miller of the Falcons the rest is history.

Wow.. go figure.. the ones screaming they wanna get rid of all teams in Atlanta aren’t answering this question.. the ones screaming that they want to see them get demolished since week 5 aren’t answering this question.. weird huh? 

Anyways, born and raised.. bleed red and black.. do I ***** and moan when they lose? No.. it’s a game.. now if I was playing, competitive juices would be boiling

I grew up in Florida and was a Miami Dolphins fan growing up. When I came to Georgia in the late 80's in my early teens I didn't have access to the Miami games anymore so started watching Falcons games. I don't think my die-hard fandom really took hold until Mike Vick though. I stick around because they are in my blood now. If I could make it through 2007, I can make it through anything as a sports fan lol.

Wardog357 likes this