Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
E. T.

Why are you a Falcons fan?

58 posts in this topic

I love knowing in this world I can watch something that makes me not feel so bad about my failures.

Well actually I have lived here in Georgia since I was about 3 years old grew up watching them and pulled for them as they were my home town team. Plus I always pull for the underdog. Sad to say they fill that void nicely.

PokerSteve likes this

Born and raised in Georgia. They are the 'home team'.

Back in the 80s when I first started intently watching the NFL you could basically only get info on your home team in the media. Today I guess I could watch any team but the Falcons are my guys. Old dog new tricks I guess.

PokerSteve likes this

Stupid I guess. 53 years old. That's all I've ever known. My dad got me on all the GA teams. Except hawks I had a period there where I watched back in the 80's ...havent watched since. And he loved the dawgs

Geneaut likes this

Not from Atlanta, never lived in Atlanta, but been a Falcons fan since the 80s, don't remember exactly how that came to be.  

I continue to be a fan of the team because I am a Falcons fan, period.  People that know me, being a Falcons fan is part of who they know me to be.  Have lived in Indiana most of my life and typically I'm that one Falcons fan that people know. 

IMO, moments like standing in the GA dome celebrating an NFCCG victory with my fellow fans will always make the moments of misery worthwhile.  

PokerSteve, high impact, Jen and 1 other like this

I grew up in Charlotte when we didn't have any teams and I also spent a lot of time in Atlanta as a youth due to my grandparents living down there. I adopted them as my team along with all of Atlanta's pro sports teams due to those two reasons. I'm not the type that quits on a team and adopts a new one so here I am, going on nearly 40 years as a fan.

VTCrunkler likes this

Unlike so many of the fair weather fans in this city that were born elsewhere and then "transplanted" themselves into Atlanta, I was born here many years ago and have been a Falcons/Braves/Hawks fan since birth or at least the days I first visited Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium and the Omni for the first time.

theDIRTYcode and BamaBirdLady like this

When I was a little kid, I thought Deion and Rison were the coolest athletes I’d ever seen. Thought the black jerseys were amazing too. My family is all 49er fans and it was a game they were playing the falcons that I got hooked. Became an instant fan. Have stuck with them ever since 

GhostofGritz and PokerSteve like this

My dad was a casual fan of football, but did root for Atlanta when he was watching.

One year when I was a young kid, the Falcons drafted a QB on my birthday named Michael Vick. My dad showed me some highlights. He was fast. I wanted to watch him play, and he played for the Falcons.

As I got older, Vick ended up leaving the team (can't remember what happened /purple)

At that point, I was invested in the team and I will remain that way until death.  

Because when I was 10 years old (and living in Nashville) I sent letters to every NFL team asking them for stickers. I made up my mind that the first team to send me those requested stickers would be my team. The Falcons were the first team to send 'em.

The next day I got stickers from the Cowboys.

2 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

Because when I was 10 years old (and living in Nashville) I sent letters to every NFL team asking them for stickers. I made up my mind that the first team to send me those requested stickers would be my team. The Falcons were the first team to send 'em.

But that is unfair to teams out west or up north. It would give Atlanta a leg up as it should only take about a week round trip. The other teams may not of even gotten the letter by then. 

GhostofGritz likes this

31 minutes ago, SyCo said:

Apparently I've done something terrible in a past life

LOL, I believe the same has happened to me...

19 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

Haha wow. That’s a cool story, thanks for sharing

21 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

So by one single day you missed out on FIVE LOMBARDI trophies lol. 

Oh, you think losing is your ally. But you merely adopted losing; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see a winning season until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but false hope! The heart breaks betray you, because they belong to me!

PokerSteve likes this

Born and raised in Atlanta. My dad took me to my first game in 1986 at AFCS back when the company he worked for had a skybox. We got to meet Scott Case after the game and picked me up to give him a high five. (I was 6 years old then).

Been a fan, still a fan and will die a fan of the Falcons. All I know is Red and Black.