Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RubberDucky

Potential Cap Casualties???

67 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Add Schaub, who to me is a no brainer cut, and I'd do the following:

 

Vic Beasley - Bye, or restructure for Bruce Irvin type money.  If he doesn't want that, keep Irvin and let Beasley walk until we can draft a replacement.

Desmond Trufant - Probably keep, but only because it costs us to cut him

Robert Alford - Bye

Mohamed Sanu - Keep for sure.  Sanu is one of the few "heart" players on this team that still produces.  He's clutch and he's reliable and he'll do the dirty work.  Keep 10 times out of 10.

Brooks Reed - Cut, but only if we have an upgrade.  Reed isn't great, but he isn't expensive either. 

Ryan Schraeder - Probably keep

Brandon Fusco - Bye

Matt Bryant - Regrettable cut, but it's time to move on.  I love the guy, and hope he retires rather than getting cut.

Jack Crawford - Keep.

Matt Bosher - Replace

That leaves us some holes, but with Kazee moving to nickel and Oliver coming on, we can get a FA piece or draft for corner.  We need to replace Reed with something similar but hopefully better, and I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft DE in the 1st and then double up in middle rounds.  Fusco is worthless, so even though we don't save much we need to upgrade the position.  Either that or keep him as depth, but even then, we have other issues.

We are on the same page. But Schaub is a FA next year so no need to cut, he's gone already.

JDaveG likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jfalconsp said:

We are on the same page. But Schaub is a FA next year so no need to cut, he's gone already.

Good.  FWIW, I'd be fine to re-sign him for vet minimum.  But I'd wager he retires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just FYI....Schrader is getting bullied by guys smaller than him. Do some yal really think sliding him inside with his height 6'7 is gonna be beneficial for him???  I dont believe so. He is built like an OT. He would get mauled at OG due to his high center of gravity

FalconFanSince1970 and vitaman like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

dang.  he misses one FG try and hes toast?  

No, he is injured often.  It is time to let him go.  Father time wins.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2018 at 9:28 AM, jfalconsp said:

Alford is the easiest cut on this team to make for the cap space we get back. Beasley’s cap hit next year better be significantly lower or I’m kicking him to the curb. $13 mil for his production is crazy. We need some upgrades in FA and they provide us cap flexibility.

That's how I'm structuring his deal it's mostly performance based.Keep the guaranteed to a minimum.Also keep adding talent around him.

Alford your right has completely dropped off the ends of the earth with his play BUT I still believe like Free he has something to give and at a minimal cost to us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Stryka said:

Just FYI....Schrader is getting bullied by guys smaller than him. Do some yal really think sliding him inside with his height 6'7 is gonna be beneficial for him???  I dont believe so. He is built like an OT. He would get mauled at OG due to his high center of gravity

Sliding inside is his only option. They should be using these last 3 games to try it out. If he can't play guard then he needs to be cut. He clearly sucks as a RT at this point.

Stryka likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Sliding inside is his only option. They should be using these last 3 games to try it out. If he can't play guard then he needs to be cut. He clearly sucks as a RT at this point.

He is too tall. Cant get enough leverage inside. He is a space blocker and a technician. He is never gonna win with physical gifts. He has to be in the right position and practice great technique. He needs to be cut because since 2016 he has regressed heavily

vitaman likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stryka said:

He is too tall. Cant get enough leverage inside. He is a space blocker and a technician. He is never gonna win with physical gifts. He has to be in the right position and practice great technique. He needs to be cut because since 2016 he has regressed heavily

The only technique I have seen from him in the last 2 years is how to give a pass rusher a sleeper hold and pray for no flag.

All joking aside, I agree with you but I still would give him a shot at RG in these last 3 worthless games. Who knows, maybe playing next to Mack will band-aid his issues some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:32 AM, PriMeTiiMe said:

The only technique I have seen from him in the last 2 years is how to give a pass rusher a sleeper hold and pray for no flag.

All joking aside, I agree with you but I still would give him a shot at RG in these last 3 worthless games. Who knows, maybe playing next to Mack will band-aid his issues some.

Man I don't know how this dude went from our best OL a few years ago to getting Benched for a guy VIc ran circles around.  Schrader has probably been the biggest disappointment.  You figure if Mack can bandaid the middle with the 2 guards and our edges protected by Matthews and what used to be called Schrader we would be good but nah......he has been trash.  I mean I don't usually see 6'7 305 lbs Guards.  Gotta be a lil more stout inside as you have to face bigger guys. We will see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stryka said:

Man I don't know how this dude went from our best OL a few years ago to getting Benched for a guy VIc ran circles around.  Schrader has probably been the biggest disappointment.  You figure if Mack can bandaid the middle with the 2 guards and our edges protected by Matthews and what used to be called Schrader we would be good but nah......he has been trash.  I mean I don't usually see 6'7 305 lbs Guards.  Gotta be a lil more stout inside as you have to face bigger guys. We will see.

From that AJC article that came out yesterday it sounds like DQ has no intention of trying him a guard this year, or possibly ever:

Schraeder, who’s 6-foot-7 and 300 pounds, believes he could play inside at guard if needed. 

“I think I could,” Schraeder said when asked if he could play guard. “It’s a little bit different. Things happen quicker. I think it would be easier in pass protection, but as far as everything else, the run game, I don’t know.”

He noted that former Falcons right tackles Tyson Clabo and Garrett Reynolds also played some guard. 

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said guard wasn’t an option for Schraeder for this season.

“We consider everything,” Quinn said. “But not right now in that case.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/schraeder-battling-through-his-demotion-right-tackle/GVGhBgihr4RF1j0WeCJoXI/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cut or let walk Alford, Beasley, Brooks Reed, Sharter, and Shelby Mustang, anal beadles, Jordan's richard, and poole = $ 32 million in cap savings. Puts us at around $52 million in cap space.

Extend Jarrett  $11million per, Coalman  $6 million per, sign Ansah  $13.9 million per, and Suh $9.3 million per. Go greedy Williams in the first round and then take a guard with the second round and we are going to be alright. The remaining $10m can go to bandaid scrubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2018 at 10:04 PM, etherdome said:

Trufant's contract is a major gaff by TD.  However, under the circumstances, I would keep him....at least for the next two seasons.  He is overpaid, but I would rather save cap space elsewhere.  

Or the possibility of a restructure.  We say that he is overpaid but he is going to get his money either way, why not move some of it around a little and still be able to keep him on board for his two years without creating a huge hole in the defense especially if we are considering getting rid of Alford.  I mean yeah we do need to get better at CB whether that means current spots need to improve on their play or new guy needs to come in for someone.  But let me ask this....would you be comfortable getting rid of BOTH tru and rocky knowing that Oliver is the only one left, especially if they let Poole walk, who has any playing time in this defense.  IMO it would be equivalent to when we were retooling the offensive line and only keeping Matthews.  I say pick one to cut (or restructure), keep the other, re-sign Poole, draft another and put Kazee or Allen in the slot. 

GrimeyKidd likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, osiruz said:

Cut or let walk Alford, Beasley, Brooks Reed, Sharter, and Shelby Mustang, anal beadles, Jordan's richard, and poole = $ 32 million in cap savings. Puts us at around $52 million in cap space.

Extend Jarrett  $11million per, Coalman  $6 million per, sign Ansah  $13.9 million per, and Suh $9.3 million per. Go greedy Williams in the first round and then take a guard with the second round and we are going to be alright. The remaining $10m can go to bandaid scrubs.

Don't forget that Julio's contract situation was only temporarily resolved & that is supposed to be addressed fully this coming offseason.

KCFalcon22, Ergo Proxy and osiruz like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, k-train said:

Don't forget that Julio's contract situation was only temporarily resolved & that is supposed to be addressed fully this coming offseason.

In that case we can extend Beasley at $7 million per, rework JJ for $15m per, and sign some value guard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2018 at 2:29 PM, Stryka said:

Just FYI....Schrader is getting bullied by guys smaller than him. Do some yal really think sliding him inside with his height 6'7 is gonna be beneficial for him???  I dont believe so. He is built like an OT. He would get mauled at OG due to his high center of gravity

Robert Gallery is 6'7 and was flat out horrible at tackle and got moved to guard was actually very decent there

KCFalcon22 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0