Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RubberDucky

Potential Cap Casualties???

67 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, etherdome said:

Who will play CB?  We have Oliver, Poole, Wreh-Wilson and possibly Kazee (moved from FS).

And what about the OL?  Is Schraeder really an OG playing RT?  IF he is an upgrade at OG, then his contract is not bad.  

Yep. That's the issue with just cutting the guys who have sucked..we don't have replacements.  Rocky is an easy cut but ONLY if we are replacing him with a somewhat known quantity in FA.  I think Oliver has promise but not there, Blidi is decent but I don't see starter and Poole is more a tiny LB than a corner.  Kazee's skillset is S or NB.

Schraeder will stay as his contract is not that bad and even if we draft/sign new OT, Schraeder probably isn't the worst lineman on the team.   Let's be real, even Mack has been super average this year and he is getting put on his back a lot this year. 

Only no-brainers are Reed and Beasley (I could support re-signing him for $12.8M over 2 years...tops).

2 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

Yep. That's the issue with just cutting the guys who have sucked..we don't have replacements.  Rocky is an easy cut but ONLY if we are replacing him with a somewhat known quantity in FA.  I think Oliver has promise but not there, Blidi is decent but I don't see starter and Poole is more a tiny LB than a corner.  Kazee's skillset is S or NB.

Schraeder will stay as his contract is not that bad and even if we draft/sign new OT, Schraeder probably isn't the worst lineman on the team.   Let's be real, even Mack has been super average this year and he is getting put on his back a lot this year. 

Only no-brainers are Reed and Beasley (I could support re-signing him for $12.8M over 2 years...tops).

It is really a shame about Beasley.  I think we HAVE to let him go.  I think he could have a career resurgence in a 3-4 set.  

Alford is another must cut, as well as Matt Bryant (painful).  It has become a money issue.  We need better players along the OL.  There is no escaping that.    

Trufant isn't going anywhere, we are not taking the cap hit.

Alford and Reed are as good as gone. Schraeder and Beasley should be on the bubble, but I'd at least cut Beasley. Schraeder depending on what we do in FA and draft at the position.

I'd start by remodelling STs so for me it's Bryant Bosher first.

Then I'd move Schaub.

Beasley I'm keeping and he's going to be my situational 3rd down pass rusher mixed in with a few base snaps dependent on down and distance.This is how I'm using Beasley going foward and yes I'm resigning him for a few more years at a decent price.For me max deals are off the table if he doesn't take it I let him test the market.

Alford I'm bringing back for one more year.I still think with the comfort of having Debo Neal and Allen back there I still think he's got something to give.Hes on a short leash though.

Base end is key and we need to draft it.Reed and Shelby are viable cuts and talent can be upgraded.

Fusco I give him another go but I'm drafting another G/T early 2nd round is where I'd be looking.

1 hour ago, Atlantafan21 said:

If we keep Beasley on that option then this organization is run by a bunch of ******* idiots. 

Surely the FO won’t pay him the 12$m

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

Then I'd move Schaub.

Beasley I'm keeping and he's going to be my situational 3rd down pass rusher mixed in with a few base snaps dependent on down and distance.This is how I'm using Beasley going foward and yes I'm resigning him for a few more years at a decent price.For me max deals are off the table if he doesn't take it I let him test the market.

Alford I'm bringing back for one more year.I still think with the comfort of having Debo Neal and Allen back there I still think he's got something to give.Hes on a short leash though.

Base end is key and we need to draft it.Reed and Shelby are viable cuts and talent can be upgraded.

Fusco I give him another go but I'm drafting another G/T early 2nd round is where I'd be looking.

Alford is the easiest cut on this team to make for the cap space we get back. Beasley’s cap hit next year better be significantly lower or I’m kicking him to the curb. $13 mil for his production is crazy. We need some upgrades in FA and they provide us cap flexibility.

Stryka likes this

Alford is such an easy cut. 8 million saved after the dead cap hit of 1.2 million. I rather use that money on the OL or DL. We need to protect Matt and a good Dlineman will help everybody out in the back 7.

At least Trufant has shown life the last couple weeks. Alford has looked like our worst CB all year. 

17 hours ago, etherdome said:

Who will play CB?  We have Oliver, Poole, Wreh-Wilson and possibly Kazee (moved from FS).

And what about the OL?  Is Schraeder really an OG playing RT?  IF he is an upgrade at OG, then his contract is not bad.  

Wreh-Wilson should be getting wayyy more burn this season but hey! Guess not.

I was leaning toward Schraeder being cut but the savings isn't much and it is really his only bad year.  Give him a year to ship up or ship out.

12 hours ago, etherdome said:

It is really a shame about Beasley.  I think we HAVE to let him go.  I think he could have a career resurgence in a 3-4 set.  

Alford is another must cut, as well as Matt Bryant (painful).  It has become a money issue.  We need better players along the OL.  There is no escaping that.    

I think Bryant's issue was the injury. 

18 minutes ago, autigerfan said:

I was leaning toward Schraeder being cut but the savings isn't much and it is really his only bad year.  Give him a year to ship up or ship out.

Or kick him inside. 

5 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

I think Bryant's issue was the injury. 

Age.  It is time for him to go.  We have a cheaper solution with far less re-injury risk

11 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Then I'd move Schaub.

Yeah, I could see a complete reset at ST honestly... fire Armstrong, let Bryant hang it up, and cut Bosher loose. As of right now, Bryant & Bosher are set to count $6.7M against the 2019 cap. We've already got Italian Ice under contract for a $600k cap number in 2019, so we'd just need to bring in a punter. A cheap FA or an UDFA in that role helps save a good chunk of change.

Agree 100% that Schaub needs to be gone, but we won't need to move him , because his contract is up after this season anyway. A late round draft pick or cheap FA should be able to handle the role & will be much younger than the 38 year old Schaub, and much cheaper... Schaub is eating up $4.5M in cap room this year.

Would not keep Beasley for $12M... he's just not worth that at all... but extending him for a few years at a fair price would be a solid move.

I agree that the CBs are having a hard time because they don't have consistent help over the top, nor is the pass rush consistent... thus, the CBs are having to try to cover opposing WRs far longer than should be reasonably expected. It clearly had a substantial negative effect on Alford. I'd love to see him get a chance to redeem himself, but his drastic decline in play combined with the money saved by cutting him, and his age, may all work against him. Not at all sold on Oliver being ready to take over, and Tru is still trying to pull himself out of a slump too. If we end up with a pick in the 3-5 range, I think drafting a CB & letting Alford go might be a possibility to consider.

Definitely need to get younger & better at DE. Do we go after someone like Dante Fowler if he hits free agency?

Fusco is't the answer & is barely even a stop gap in my opinion... but he's relatively cheap. Agree 100% that either OG or RT needs to be a priority in the 2nd.

On 12/9/2018 at 10:05 PM, RubberDucky said:

Vic Beasley - $12.8 Million THE MONEY NEEDS TO BE SPENT ELSEWHERE

Desmond Trufant - $9.5 Million KEEP HIM

Robert Alford - $7.9 Million THE MONEY NEEDS TO BE SPENT ELSEWHERE

Mohamed Sanu - $4.6 Million KEEP HIM

Brooks Reed - $4.5 Million  THE MONEY NEEDS TO BE SPENT ELSEWHERE

Ryan Schraeder - $3.95 Million THE MONEY NEEDS TO BE SPENT ELSEWHERE

Brandon Fusco - $3.2 Million THE MONEY NEEDS TO BE SPENT ELSEWHERE

Matt Bryant - $2.8 Million IF HE WANTS TO BE A FALCON THIS MAN STAYS A FALCON

Jack Crawford - $2.5 Million KEEP THIS MAN

Matt Bosher - $2.5 Million KEEP THIS MAN

SCHAUB NEEDS TO BE GONE.

Get a new cheaper backup QB with upside and dual threat ability to give him some guaranteed worth.

Revamp the OL other than Matthews/Mack!!!!

New Pass Rusher Opposite Takk!!!

Roll with Jarrett/Senat unless we grab Oliver/Quinnen to push Senat to rotation only.

Start Oliver, Kazee/Poole with Trufant

Roll with Jones, Campbell, Oluokun

Prosper with return of Neal/Allen

Roll with Freeman/Ito

Roll with Jones/Ridley/Sanu/Hooper

Tru and Free aren't going any where anytime soon.

Alford is toast. 

I believe they may work a new deal with Beasley, if not he's gone.

Fusco isn't any better than any of our other Guards, I see no reason to keep him.

We need to replace both kickers with younger options. Same with Schaub.

Let every FA we have walk aside from Grady and slap the cheap tender on Poole. Remove the 5th year option from Beasley.

Cut Schaub, Fusco, Shelby, Alford, Bethel, Reed, Bryant, Bosher.

Move Schrader inside to RG.

Draft Q. Williams or E. Oliver with our top 5 pick. Draft O-Line with our 2nd and 3rd round Pick. (LG, RT). 

Sign an edge rusher as our "big splash" in FA. Also need to sign a starting OLB and some backup depth that we don't draft late.

Move Kazee or Allen to CB as the Nickel and let Tru and Oliver start on the outside. Poole can be the 4th CB.

QB - Ryan / Late Round Pick or Cheap FA
RB - Freeman / Ito / Late Round Pick or Cheap FA
FB - Late Round Pick or Cheap FA
WR - Julio / Sanu / Hardy
WR - Ridley / Hall / Gage
TE - Hooper / Paulsen / Saubert
LT - Matthews / Sambrialo
LG - 2nd or 3rd Round Pick / Wes
C - Mack / Late Round Pick or Cheap FA
RG - Schrader / Garland
RT - 2nd or 3rd Round Pick / Gono

DE - McKinley / Late Round Pick or Cheap FA
DT - Jarrett / Crawford
DT - 1st Round Pick / Senat
DE - Big Splash Free Agent /  Late Round Pick or Cheap FA
WLB - Free agent / Ishmael
MLB - Jones / Foye
SLB - Campbell / Late Round Pick or Cheap FA
CB - Trufant / Kazee / Wreh-Wilson
CB - Oliver / Poole
FS - Allen / Late Round Pick or Cheap FA
SS - Neal / Neasman

K - Tavecchio
P - Late Round Pick or Cheap FA

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

7 hours ago, etherdome said:

Age.  It is time for him to go.  We have a cheaper solution with far less re-injury risk

dang.  he misses one FG try and hes toast?  

I don't know but I'd like to bring back sanu.he has played tough this whole time.he brings it week in and week out.win or lose Sanu is Sanu.

On 12/9/2018 at 10:05 PM, RubberDucky said:

Vic Beasley - $12.8 Million in Cap savings if we Rescind his 5th year option

Desmond Trufant - $9.5 Million in Cap savings if designated as a June 1st cut

Robert Alford - $7.9 Million dollars in Cap Savings

Mohamed Sanu - $4.6 Million (Though I think he actually earns his check)

Brooks Reed - $4.5 Million  

Ryan Schraeder - $3.95 Million

Brandon Fusco - $3.2 Million

Matt Bryant - $2.8 Million (Meh, he aint getting any younger and Italian Ice has looked good. Cant see us cutting him, but maybe he hangs 'em up.)

Jack Crawford - $2.5 Million (Believe he should be kept)

Matt Bosher - $2.5 Million (Isnt as consistent as he once was, but cant see us cutting him.

IMO, Beasley, Alford, Fusco and Reed should be done here. I dont know what June post 6/1'ing Trufant would mean for the 2020 cap, but maybe that's an option as well. That would be close to $38 Million in free'd up cap space to go along w/ some FA departures. Hopefully the FO is smart about this offseason and does whats best for the future.

Add Schaub, who to me is a no brainer cut, and I'd do the following:

Vic Beasley - Bye, or restructure for Bruce Irvin type money.  If he doesn't want that, keep Irvin and let Beasley walk until we can draft a replacement.

Desmond Trufant - Probably keep, but only because it costs us to cut him

Robert Alford - Bye

Mohamed Sanu - Keep for sure.  Sanu is one of the few "heart" players on this team that still produces.  He's clutch and he's reliable and he'll do the dirty work.  Keep 10 times out of 10.

Brooks Reed - Cut, but only if we have an upgrade.  Reed isn't great, but he isn't expensive either. 

Ryan Schraeder - Probably keep

Brandon Fusco - Bye

Matt Bryant - Regrettable cut, but it's time to move on.  I love the guy, and hope he retires rather than getting cut.

Jack Crawford - Keep.

Matt Bosher - Replace

That leaves us some holes, but with Kazee moving to nickel and Oliver coming on, we can get a FA piece or draft for corner.  We need to replace Reed with something similar but hopefully better, and I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft DE in the 1st and then double up in middle rounds.  Fusco is worthless, so even though we don't save much we need to upgrade the position.  Either that or keep him as depth, but even then, we have other issues.