Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RubberDucky

Potential Cap Casualties???

67 posts in this topic

Vic Beasley - $12.8 Million in Cap savings if we Rescind his 5th year option

Desmond Trufant - $9.5 Million in Cap savings if designated as a June 1st cut

Robert Alford - $7.9 Million dollars in Cap Savings

Mohamed Sanu - $4.6 Million (Though I think he actually earns his check)

Brooks Reed - $4.5 Million  

Ryan Schraeder - $3.95 Million

Brandon Fusco - $3.2 Million

Matt Bryant - $2.8 Million (Meh, he aint getting any younger and Italian Ice has looked good. Cant see us cutting him, but maybe he hangs 'em up.)

Jack Crawford - $2.5 Million (Believe he should be kept)

Matt Bosher - $2.5 Million (Isnt as consistent as he once was, but cant see us cutting him.

IMO, Beasley, Alford, Fusco and Reed should be done here. I dont know what June post 6/1'ing Trufant would mean for the 2020 cap, but maybe that's an option as well. That would be close to $38 Million in free'd up cap space to go along w/ some FA departures. Hopefully the FO is smart about this offseason and does whats best for the future.

Edited by RubberDucky
FalconBlood likes this

4 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

Add Schraeder possibly.

Added. He was the 1st player I looked up, just forgot to add him to the list once I started looking into everyone.

$3.95 Million. Not a huge amount of savings, so I could see us maybe holding him as a depth player. I sure wouldn't lose any sleep over us cutting his *** though.

Edited by RubberDucky

8 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

IMO, Beasley, Alford and Reed should be done here. I dont know what June post 6/1'ing Trufant would mean for the 2020 cap, but maybe that's an option as well. That would be close to $35 Million in free'd up cap space to go along w/ some FA departures. Hopefully the FO is smart about this offseason and does whats best for the future.

Trufant - $4.4 million cap hit in 2019 ($10.2 million in 2020) if 6/1 cut or $14.6 million all in 2019 if regular cut - better to pay him and make him sit on bench or something?

https://overthecap.com/calculator/atlanta-falcons/

Edited by jlrfalcon

1 minute ago, jlrfalcon said:

Trufant - $4.4 million cap hit in 2019 if 6/1 cut ($14.6 million if regular cut) - better to pay him and make him sit on bench or something?

https://overthecap.com/calculator/atlanta-falcons/

Honestly, I'd rather pay $4.4 to cut him than $13.9 to keep him. It frees up a ton of space for us and I dont see a future for him here. I'd rather just Cut ties and put that money to good use.

cblack, Wwfalconfan and osiruz like this

Alford is almost good as gone. Trufant may be on the bubble, he is the best among what the falcons have at CB. That isn’t much given the crap we have. But falcons have to go with balanced approach of not creating bigger holes when they already have multiple positions to fill.

kiwifalcon and Ergo Proxy like this

Don't forget you've got Schaub eating $4.5M in cap space this year. Let him walk, sign a cheap FA backup QB or use a late round draft pick on one, and we can free up some more $.

Also, the $1.75M we're using for Justin Bethel can be better spent IMO. He's not bad for ST, but not sure he's needed at that price.

I think the most likely cuts is anyone along the LOS without leaving lots of dead cap; including Ryan Schraeder obviously.

Alford is close to being gone anyway as he is on the wrong side of 30. Tru is safe. Easy choice win age alone.

Reed is a possibility.

I don’t see anyone else being cut of significance that those 3:

Alford $8.5M (Post 6/1)

Schraeder $6.45M (Post 6/1)

Reed $4.5M (Any time)

Just under $20M in cap space just from them. Re-work another vet that’s a system fit to let them have a job and be a decent rotation piece so depth isn’t terrible? Maybe we can then can secure a couple decent FAs and have room for Grady/Debo etc coming due.

The biggest thing here is not keeping guys too long; well post-30, that have declining play unless it’s correctable. As long as it’s not at the sacrifice of young core pieces you drafted that are worth keeping and risk losing due to overpaid 30+ vets.

Beasley is still TBD.

Rest assured our drafting is the most important thing to this franchise in the short term AND long term.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
kiwifalcon likes this

Here I cut Alford, Reed and Fusco, Rescinded Beasley, and designated Tru as a June 1st cut. Projected 61.2 Million in cap space. We can then give Alford and Tru's money to Jones and Jarrett and still have plenty left to make some signings.

ss.PNG

Edited by RubberDucky
gkgrimes, osiruz, Dirtybird3 and 1 other like this

19 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

Matt Bryant - $2.8 Million (Meh, he aint getting any younger and Italian Ice has looked good. Cant see us cutting him, but maybe he hangs 'em up.)

Matt Bosher - $2.5 Million (Isnt as consistent as he once was, but cant see us cutting him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO, Beasley, Alford, Fusco and Reed should be done here. I dont know what June post 6/1'ing Trufant would mean for the 2020 cap, but maybe that's an option as well. That would be close to $35 Million in free'd up cap space to go along w/ some FA departures. Hopefully the FO is smart about this offseason and does whats best for the future.

• Can't give Vic that money and it pains me to say it.
  • Tru and Rocky have both been disappointments this year.  I'm way more an Alford fan but I'm seeing awful technique and constant stumbling from him on top of the grabbing.  If we find a good FA target, I think he goes but if we draft, he stays.
  • Brooks Reed has had his moments but has never really earned the money we've paid him.  Time to move on.
  • Schraeder is that great story of overcoming great odds but he's been on the decline since early 2017 and nothing points up for him.  Probably stays though.
  • Fusco really hasn't done all that much in my opinion but he might be the best of a hot mess a G.
  • Mat Bryant is legend and I would not mind the legend retiring at the end of the season.
  • Bosher hasn't been good in a while (stopped bringing the fire too).  I would not mind an upgrade but not a priority position for me.
  • Sanu and Crawford should stay.  Both these guys have been two of the more consistent/reliable players this season.

14 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

@RubberDucky what’s the dead cap by year with those moves?

Trufant as a 6/1 - 4.4 Million in 2019 and 10.2 in 2020

Beasley - Nothing

Alford - 1.2 Mill in 2019, nothing in 2020

Reed - 900K in 2019, nothing in 2020

Fusco - 1.5 Mill 2019, nothing in 2020

I get that Tru may not be a realistic cut, but I like the idea of eating his dead money hit and using the savings to re-sign Deion Jones a year early. I think it'll benefit us in the long run.

Edited by RubberDucky

I don't know what to make of Schraeder. It is possible that he's playing hurt and that's the main reason for his bad season. 

The reality is that we simply do not have the cap space to overhaul all these positions. You cannot replace like 4 offensive linemen and expect to make a playoff run. 

We made a huge mistake by not drafting a Guard this year. OL rebuilds take multiple years. James Daniels has been balling out for the Bears. Imagine if we had drafted him instead of Ridley. We'd have a pro bowl OG and possibly the future replacement for Alex Mack. 

Now we are staring down the barrel

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Cutting Trufant will have the dead money of 4.4 Million every year from 2019-2021.  I can see Tru and Freeman cut after 2019. Alford can be cut anytime with not much of dead cap.

That $40 Mill Guaranteed on his $60 Mill Contract really hamstrung the FO. Looking back, that was a bad contract.

Just now, RubberDucky said:

That $40 Mill Guaranteed on his $60 Mill Contract really hamstrung the FO. Looking back, that was a bad contract.

Yeah. I would still give Tru a year, just coz you can’t replace both corners with so many needs He just need to make sure to not drop interceptions. Alford has been the worst CB in the NFL.

Ergo Proxy likes this

2 minutes ago, Emmitt said:

What about Free? I think he’s done unfortunately and we will have a lot of dead money I suspect.

He doesn’t have big hit next year. 2019 is when it starts hitting, you can cut him with out too much dead money.

Ergo Proxy and Emmitt like this

4 minutes ago, Emmitt said:

What about Free? I think he’s done unfortunately and we will have a lot of dead money I suspect.

Outright cut would cost 2.2 Million. 6/1 cut would only free up 3.75 Million in 2019 and leave us w/ $3 Mill and $6 mill in dead money in '19 and '20. Just not a feasible cut at all until after next year.

Edited by RubberDucky
Emmitt and Ergo Proxy like this

9 minutes ago, Sandy5prings said:

I don't know what to make of Schraeder. It is possible that he's playing hurt and that's the main reason for his bad season. 

The reality is that we simply do not have the cap space to overhaul all these positions. You cannot replace like 4 offensive linemen and expect to make a playoff run. 

We made a huge mistake by not drafting a Guard this year. OL rebuilds take multiple years. James Daniels has been balling out for the Bears. Imagine if we had drafted him instead of Ridley. We'd have a pro bowl OG and possibly the future replacement for Alex Mack. 

Now we are staring down the barrel

His Cap hit isnt Huge. Even if we upgrade at RT, I wouldn't mind hanging onto him as depth. Basically, I dont care what happens to him, LOL.

I legit wouldnt mind cutting all of them listed and going into FA with money to play with to build up these lines. The only possible exception I see is Sanu, because he has great hands. Bosher is way gone, Bryant thanks but we can go younger and cheaper. Having to replace 2 corners could be tough but we could easily address that in the draft/ FA

2 hours ago, RubberDucky said:

IMO, Beasley, Alford, Fusco and Reed should be done here. I dont know what June post 6/1'ing Trufant would mean for the 2020 cap, but maybe that's an option as well. That would be close to $38 Million in free'd up cap space to go along w/ some FA departures. Hopefully the FO is smart about this offseason and does whats best for the future.

We have a lot of dudes that aren't earning their paycheck. Unfortunately, we have to field a 53 man roster and therefore can't cut all of the players maybe we'd like to due to not being able to find replacements in one offseason. Here is what I think will happen:

Vic Beasley - $12.8 Million in Cap savings if we Rescind his 5th year option - We rescind this and either try to bring him back at a reduced cost or let him take his talents elsewhere.

Desmond Trufant - $9.5 Million in Cap savings if designated as a June 1st cut. - I think it is a foregone conclusion that we will cut Alford after our season ends. Since we will, and won't cut Trufant without two obvious replacements, he will stay on the roster for 2019.

Robert Alford - $7.9 Million dollars in Cap Savings - Dude is so cut after the season ends. This is a no-brainer.

Mohamed Sanu - $4.6 Million (Though I think he actually earns his check). Is Ridley ready to take the step toward consistency next year? Perhaps. Sanu isn't getting any younger, but he isn't bad at all (just painfully average) and is the only receiver we have that regularly catches the thing they are paid to not drop. His contract isn't terrible either, so he remains for 2019. Beyond that? Could depend on if Ridley takes that step forward in 2019.

Brooks Reed - $4.5 Million  - Next to Alford, the next easiest no-brainer cut on the team. He's not awful, just isn't worth much of anything. I legit forget he's on the team half the time.

Ryan Schraeder - $3.95 Million - The OL - what a mess! With two non-starter quality OGs and a severely-regressed RT, we can't overhaul this entire group in one offseason. Dude has been beyond terrible in 2018 - earning him a well-deserved benching, and of the linemen he is either the easiest  or 2nd easiest to let go. I could see the Falcons keeping him for one more year to shift their emphasis on shoring up the interior of our OL that kept Ryan awake at night due to collapsing pockets all year. If so, he will either be one expensive backup or one inadequate starter. Whether they keep him or cut him, they will have to find a replacement for him fast because Ty Sambrailo isn't it, and who knows if UDFA Gono is the answer.

Brandon Fusco - $3.2 Million - He got hurt relatively early (Week 7), but didn't light it up while he was in there. He was thoroughly average, but Garland hasn't done much to show that he deserves more than his former reserve role. It's critical that our interior O Line become competent, and despite his unfortunate injury, it doesn't look like a healthy Fusco aids in that goal as a starter for a hopefully-contending 2019 team. I think we are all tired of watching even average D Lines cave in the middle of the pocket. By the way, Levitre is a FA, so if we cut Fusco, we will be down two OGs. Not that they were amazing, but I don't see us bringing back Levitre with his injury history.

Matt Bryant - $2.8 Million (Meh, he aint getting any younger and Italian Ice has looked good. Cant see us cutting him, but maybe he hangs 'em up.) If Bryant retires - and he may - we wont have to worry about cutting him. He was shaky today and has been nicked up this year. Combining that with his age and a seemingly-capable replacement already on the roster, it may force Bryant's hand er, leg, to retire. If he doesn't, we may have to cut him anyway, although I'd hate to do so from an emotional side (but would totally do it from a business side - which is what will win the day).

Jack Crawford - $2.5 Million (Believe he should be kept) Yeah, should be kept. Quietly had a decent year as a DT for us. Showed ability to take down a QB - imagine that.

Matt Bosher - $2.5 Million (Isnt as consistent as he once was, but cant see us cutting him. Could totally see cutting him and replacing him with a punter from the draft or UDFA who can fulfills the duties at a fraction of the cost.

Edited by ATL Fan in the DMV

Here I cut Alford, Reed and Fusco, Rescinded Beasley, and designated Tru as a June 1st cut. Projected 61.2 Million in cap space. We can then give Alford and Tru's money to Jones and Jarrett and still have plenty left to make some signings.

ss.PNG

Who will play CB?  We have Oliver, Poole, Wreh-Wilson and possibly Kazee (moved from FS).

And what about the OL?  Is Schraeder really an OG playing RT?  IF he is an upgrade at OG, then his contract is not bad.  

Trufant as a 6/1 - 4.4 Million in 2019 and 10.2 in 2020

Beasley - Nothing

Alford - 1.2 Mill in 2019, nothing in 2020

Reed - 900K in 2019, nothing in 2020

Fusco - 1.5 Mill 2019, nothing in 2020

I get that Tru may not be a realistic cut, but I like the idea of eating his dead money hit and using the savings to re-sign Deion Jones a year early. I think it'll benefit us in the long run.

Trufant's contract is a major gaff by TD.  However, under the circumstances, I would keep him....at least for the next two seasons.  He is overpaid, but I would rather save cap space elsewhere.