My serious take on what the Falcons need to do to rebuild. You keep Matt Ryan.

Spts1

I've given this some serious thought.  The Falcons are at a MAJOR crossroads with their franchise. I mean a MAJOR one.  Matt Ryan has been with the Falcons since 2008 and you can honestly say that within that time he has never had a stud defense to work with.  He has been given the weapons around him to make the Falcons even more elite year after year on that side of the ball but we know that defense has never been legit.  Quinn was suppose to change that.   The only thing that Quinn did was make the offense better ( hiring Shanahan) and his side of the ball has gotten worst than even Mike Smith's defenses.  You can beat the Falcons defense any way you want...

This brings me to the problem.  People know I don't particularly like Ryan's arm and I don't like his redzone game.  It may come as a shock coming from me :lol:  but between the 20's Ryan is pretty good.  I say this to say that ULTIMATELY Ryan is NOT the problem and getting rid of Ryan, even Julio would just make it that much harder to turn the franchise around.  The Falcons are in bed with Ryan and Julio and need to ride that out.  You can't get rid of a franchise quarterback or a number 1 receiver unless their game is gone ( Dez Bryant, Brett Favre end of his career, etc.)   They don't just fall off trees.  If ANYTHING you restructure or dump some big contracts, starting with Desmond Trufant.

The defense is the problem and the problem begins with Quinn.  You CAN'T keep Dan Quinn.  Any rebuild starts with him.  You can bring Shanahan back and STILL the problem is gonna be on that defense.  That fact alone should get people off of Sark.  Sark is not the problem.  People wanna brag about the tons of yardage that Ryan is putting up but Sark is the one getting him the yardage with his plays.  In a perfect world you keep Quinn and Sark and bring in a Todd Bowles.  The problem there is bringing in Bowles would clash directly with Quinn's defensive schemes and philosophy.  Nix that.  Most people feel that Bowles is gone after this year from the Jets and will be available. I've already broken down how Bowles scheme is soo flexible that he will change his base defense from a 3-4 to a 4-3 depending on his personnel AND depending on the opponent.  Hiring Bowles would allow the Falcons to draft BEST AVAILABLE PLAYERS on the defensive side of the ball.  On offense they just need their starting guards back and they are fine.  Defense, Defense,  Defense.   

The next problem is I don't want Bowles as head coach but I want him to run the defense and I wanna keep Sark/Knapp or hire Kubiak.  Can you elevate Sark or Gregg Knapp to head coach and let Bowles run the defense? The only viable alternative from Sark/Knapp is Kubiak.  Kubiak runs a zone blocking scheme and in fact has the only scheme i like better than what  the Falcons are currently doing. Its similar but he has a better run blocking scheme than both Shanahan and Sark.

You can't bring in another WHOLE NEW system on that side of the ball at this stage. You keep what you got and address that defense.  You bring in another offensive minded head coach or offensive coordinator with a totally new scheme, now you got Ryan learning yet ANOTHER offense while the defense is still horrible.  No. You keep what you got on offense, get healthy over there and bring in Bowles to run the defense with Quinn out of the way...

Edited by slickgadawg

I'll say as for the defense the one thing i want Quinn to try next year for the entire year is for Quinn himself to actually do all the defensive play calling in the games.  After he took the playcalling duties on defense from Smith and until he gave it up to Manuel our defense looked entirely different and much much better.   I want to see if that is a coincidence or if he is actually just that much better as a defensive playcaller and getting people in the right schemes than everyone else he keeps hiring to do the job instead.   If this means that he hires someone else as a assistant headcoach to help with some of the game calling and timeout controlling and stuff so be it.  But i did like what i saw for a good while there while he was calling the defense we seemed to be much more preapred and in the right spot to make the plays we needed more often than not. 

50 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

I'll say as for the defense the one thing i want Quinn to try next year for the entire year is for Quinn himself to actually do all the defensive play calling in the games.  After he took the playcalling duties on defense from Smith and until he gave it up to Manuel our defense looked entirely different and much much better.   I want to see if that is a coincidence or if he is actually just that much better as a defensive playcaller and getting people in the right schemes than everyone else he keeps hiring to do the job instead.   If this means that he hires someone else as a assistant headcoach to help with some of the game calling and timeout controlling and stuff so be it.  But i did like what i saw for a good while there while he was calling the defense we seemed to be much more preapred and in the right spot to make the plays we needed more often than not. 

^^^This. I get tired of seeing Head Coaches for other teams retain playcalling duties and it works (for the most part)

1 hour ago, FalconFan13 said:

Quinn’s feel for the game defensively is incredible. He is seriously one of THE best out there. He’s trying to give these coaches the opportunity to develop their own feel that way he can focus on the nuances that he needs to focus on as a HEAD COACH (Time management, personnel, overall game planning and preparation). Quinn is a head coach and a borderline great one but he is only as good as his staff and if you don’t have the right staff then you need to make some decisions. He’s trying to develop his own coaching tree since the way he schemes isn’t popular. He’s like one of the only coaches who has his own unique way of defensive scheming that isn’t as simple as a 3-4 or 4-3 plug and play type.

Keep Ryan, Julio, Neal, Jarrett, Matthews, Rico and the cheap rookie deals if they can play...forget the rest. Eat the cap hits to clear the trash out. 

Cut: Alford, Trufant, Schreader, Mack, Levitre (injuries), Beasley (rescind 5th year), Shelby

unsure on Free, with his cap situation may be inclined to see if we can get pre injury Free back.

1 hour ago, k-train said:

Defenses under Todd Bowles haven't been any better during the past 6 years than they have under Quinn.

Total Defense
2018: ATL 26th - NYJ 23rd
2017: ATL 9th - NYJ 25th
2016: ATL 25th - NYJ 11th
2015: ATL 16th - NYJ 4th
2014: SEA 1st - ARZ 24th
2013: SEA 1st - ARZ 6th

If you put both back at coordinator I feel Bowles would be more  successful. I think Quinn was just running Pete Carroll's defense with Pete Carroll's players...

On 12/9/2018 at 6:56 PM, FalconFan13 said:

I dont think Quinn calling the defense is a sustainable solution.  You have to be able to delegate.  We havent seen a HC effectively call plays for a long period of time.  

Simple - Matt Ryan's contract is 5-years for $150 million with a guaranteed $100 million.  Even if we cut him after this season, the cap hit on 2019 would be $79 million and almost prevent this team from doing anything.

No team would likely trade for him unless they were a contender with plenty of cap space (like Minnesota was last year before Cousins) or if we agreed to eat a lot of the salary on our end.  Washington could use a QB right now but they are actually handicapped with Alex Smith's contract on their books.  Non-contending clubs would probably rather look to the draft and a possible young QB to rebuild with.

Matt Ryan is not going anywhere in the next few years unless this team has absolutely collapsed (2 straight 4-12 seasons?) and there is not even thoughts of a Superbowl.

1 hour ago, autigerfan said:

I dont think Quinn calling the defense is a sustainable solution.  You have to be able to delegate.  We havent seen a HC effectively call plays for a long period of time.  

I would say some of the better offenses/defenses and teams in general have their HC call the play in 2017

Sean Payton for the saints
Sean Mcvay for the Rams
Doug Pederson for the Eagles
Mike Zimmer for the Vikings
Mike Mcarthy for the Packers
Andy Ried for the Chiefs
Dirk Koetter for the Bucs
Jay Gruden for the Skins
Bill O'brien for the Texans
Adam Gase for the Dolphins
Kyle Shannahan for the 49ers
Bruce Arians for the Cards
Dan Quinn for the Falcons - We finished top 10 defense last year under him doing it.

All of them called their offenses or defenses and did head coaching last year.

It can be done for sure and alot of coaches have proven it over the years and continue to do so with more often than not it having very good success.  To me it would be harder for a coach to do offensive play calls than defensive play calls as a head coach.

IMHO DQ is not going anywhere. I don't think that is AB's way. It is DQ'S scheme and he refuses to bulge on adding big, tough guys. That's not on MM whether people like it or not. DQ  wants this fast and physical model. If DQ would just be more flexible  if  TD would do a better job this can work.