Injuries Don't Excuse This Skid

I watched this game shaking my head at Green Bay's 35 unanswered points, and thought to myself, "There is no way we win this game, even with Free, Rico, Keanu, Fusco or Levitre on the squad." This team has devolved into sub-mediocre garbage from the play-calling to the execution on both sides of the ball. The off-season can't come soon enough.

So, what are the immediate answers for a team (coaches and players) in this current state?

Broad-scope, sweeping changes.

I believe DQ keeps his job but the coaching staff will be gutted.

Coaches on the hot seat:

Steve Sarkisian

Marquand Manuel

Bryant Young

Chris Morgan

Kyle Flood

Players on the hot seat:

Andy Levitre (old and injury prone)

Ryan Schrader (has fallen off a cliff)

Alex Mack (not on hot seat per se, but needs legitimate competition behind him to push him)

Tevin Coleman (struggles could be the fault of the O line but proved he can't carry a team this season)

Devonta Freeman (injury prone)

Robert Alford (yellow flag magnet, lost his edge)

Desmond Trufant (not the same after injuries)

Vic Beasley (Too inconsistent)

Terrell McClain (Short timer stop gap destined to move on)

Bruce Irvin (better start showing why we should keep him)

8 minutes ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

I watched this game shaking my head at Green Bay's 35 unanswered points, and thought to myself, "There is no way we win this game, even with Free, Rico, Keanu, Fusco or Levitre on the squad." This team has devolved into sub-mediocre garbage from the play-calling to the execution on both sides of the ball. The off-season can't come soon enough.

So, what are the immediate answers for a team (coaches and players) in this current state?

Broad-scope, sweeping changes.

I believe DQ keeps his job but the coaching staff will be gutted.

Coaches on the hot seat:

Steve Sarkisian

Marquand Manuel

Bryant Young

Chris Morgan

Kyle Flood

Players on the hot seat:

Andy Levitre (old and injury prone)

Ryan Schrader (has fallen off a cliff)

Alex Mack (not on hot seat per se, but needs legitimate competition behind him to push him)

Tevin Coleman (struggles could be the fault of the O line but proved he can't carry a team this season)

Devonta Freeman (injury prone)

Robert Alford (yellow flag magnet, lost his edge)

Desmond Trufant (not the same after injuries)

Vic Beasley (Too inconsistent)

Terrell McClain (Short timer stop gap destined to move on)

Bruce Irvin (better start showing why we should keep him)

Add Matt Bryant to that list. We have to get younger and cheaper at that position 

Fire Sark. Move Manuel back to DBs coach if he wants the job. If not, fire him too. 

Bryant, Reed, Schraeder, Alford, Bosher, Levitre, Schaub all gone. All those moves free up some money.

Go get a high dollar lineman (preferably OT or OG) and draft one high as well (round 1 or 2). Pray hard that Fusco anchors RG. 

Draft a DL high (round 1 or 2). Signing a high dollar one aint Quinn's and TD's style nor it should be.

We MUST hit on all linemen if they are drafed high and in FA. If we do, we are right back to being contenders next year.

1 minute ago, The Don™ said:

Fire Sark. Move Manuel back to DBs coach if he wants the job. If not, fire him too. 

Bryant, Reed, Schraeder, Alford, Bosher, Levitre, Schaub all gone. All those moves free up some money.

Go get a high dollar lineman (preferably OT or OG) and draft one high as well (round 1 or 2). Pray hard that Fusco anchors RG. 

Draft a DL high (round 1 or 2). Signing a high dollar one aint Quinn's and TD's style nor it should be.

We MUST hit on all linemen if they are drafed high and in FA. If we do, we are right back to being contenders next year.

I really wish we would have held onto Matt LaFleur. That guy would've been a better option at OC than Sark. I'm in agreement on moving on from Schaub too. It wouldn't hurt to draft a young gun QB to push Matt. I'm not saying Matt is playing poorly, but anyone benefits from some good, old healthy competition.

Dan Quinn has to go. 

I really do not like the idea of the Falcons having to start fresh with a new staff, but you can't go on with the same feeble mentality that this team has now. Dan Quinn does not know how to get it back together, and I don't beleive anything will change come next season. Matt Ryan led teams used to be known for getting back into games and even winning those games at times. Now, they get down, stay down, and look pathetic doing it. Quinn has no answers, can't adjust, and just collapses under the pressure. Should the Falcons continue to waste the talent they have now with a coach who really isn't dynamic?

I don't know who you replace Quinn with, but it needs to be someone that has an all out agressive attitude, and that knows how to utlilize the talent to its fullest, and be able to coach through adversity. I'll gladly eat crow if Quinn turns it around next season, but I don't see it happening.

Edited by 4dabirds

I think Quinn is a product of his previous system, He came along with a playbook and can't deviate from it since he can't actually think for himself. I think the whole Coaching staff are frauds that rely on playbook that were handed down from other Coaches and just can't think in dynamic terms with in game adjustments or longer term adjustments when the NFL itself changes.

We need a REAL coaching mind that can think and adjust not only during a game but adjust as trends and rules in the NFL change.

17 minutes ago, PensacolaFalcon said:

Debo has been back the past 2 weeks so we are down Allen and Neal. Kazee has played IMO on par with Allen so really we are down only Neal  and the D still is absolute **** and that is all on the coaching.

Not true. Allen did not allow deep passes the way Kazee has, and Neal is great against the run.  

1 minute ago, Ryan2Julio11 said:

Y’all are hilarious. You want to start over after 1 losing season. 

Quinn will NEVER recover from28-3, period,he doesn't have the accumen to do so,he hired an OC with ZERO NFL experience to take over a record setting offense,made Richard Smith a scapegoat on defense and STILL employs Armstrong,we have won what we did INSPITE of him,not because of him,he MUST go,TD as well

Just now, Ryan2Julio11 said:

Not true. Allen did not allow deep passes the way Kazee has, and Neal is great against the run.  

8-8 might as well have been a losing season considering we started 6-1.  Our great coach showed he couldn’t right the ship.

Demoralizing Super Bowl loss in which our great coach displayed awful game management.

Last year after our great coach brought in a guy that’s never coached in the nfl a day in his life take over our offense.  Looked a mess the entire season.

and now this year people want to give our great coach a pass because technically it’s our first losing season and because of injuries.

He’s getting too many passes for proving nothing but inadequate coaching.

33 minutes ago, Ryan2Julio11 said:

Started 6-1 and finished 8-8.

Biggest SB collapse EVER 

Loses to a backup QB in playoffs.

Loses to 2 teams in pathetic fashion the week after they fired their HC.

2-18 when trailing at halftime.

Most blow leads in NFL since being hired.

18-19 since the SB51 choke.

I can probably name more but I don't really think I need to.

Yeah it's hard to get real on injuries at this point aost every outlet and analyst had falcons top 5 roster in NFL, I hyler analyze falcons and been fan since birth, I though this was the best roster we ever had.  Not to mention, we got smacked by a Green Bay team that just lost to zona and had 3 backups in the oline, then lost another during the game.  Far too much talent on this team for this performance, even if they are nowhere near as good as we thought 

Injuries Don't Excuse This Skid

Absolutely true.  We were led to think before the season that this was a team that was bound for the post-season.  Then the injuries to critical starters began to happen.  We were then led to believe that we had adequate depth based on drafting and coaching to remain in contention for a winning season and post-season appearance.  That has proven to be flagrantly untrue.  Either that, or once the starters went down Quinn and Dimitroff decided it was a lost season, and privately decided to let the season play out with back ups.  Might as well have called Joplo Bartu and Paul Worrilow to come back. 

The collapse this season is completely on Quinn and Dimitroff.  Unlike when Smith was here, they're tied at the hip on personnel decisions.  And they either both believed they had starting caliber players in reserve for this season and didn't need to make some trades, or they both had an overinflated sense of what this coaching staff is capable of doing with second stringers. 

That being said, I don't think either of them should be fired this season, but I do think Blank should privately tell them that if they don't have a winning, playoff-bound season next year they'll both be fired.  That's sure as heck what I'd do.

1 hour ago, Ryan2Julio11 said:

Sweeping changes don't equate to starting over. That isn't at all what I'm suggesting. Starting over is new HC, or new GM, or both. New QB... crap like that. I'm suggesting some needed changes to the coaching staff. And yes that probably requires coordinator changes. That, however, isn't starting over. The team itself needs an annual influx of new, young talent. The draft will be imperative and so will FA. I don't see how the Falcons can sit on their hands in FA this off-season, as per their norm. Too many improvements need to be made.

The fans who subscribe to your school of thought, that the injuries and one bad season shouldn't cause a reboot is short-sighted, in my opinion. The injuries exposed huge issues on our squad. A troubling lack of quality depth, with Kazee and Oluokon being exceptions. And yes, I did see some improvement in Sark this season, but was it enough of an improvement to warrant keeping him here? Not in my opinion. The other coaches I listed should be gone and upgraded without question, in my estimation.

2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

I think Quinn is a product of his previous system, He came along with a playbook and can't deviate from it since he can't actually think for himself. I think the whole Coaching staff are frauds that rely on playbook that were handed down from other Coaches and just can't think in dynamic terms with in game adjustments or longer term adjustments when the NFL itself changes.

We need a REAL coaching mind that can think and adjust not only during a game but adjust as trends and rules in the NFL change.

You may have a point.