Cole World

OT Jawaan Taylor - won't test at combine

30 posts in this topic

Taylor has been excellent for the Gators in 2018. He has been steady in pass protection and as a tough run blocker. In speaking to team sources after the end of the regular season, multiple teams say they have Taylor as the top offensive line prospect for the 2019 NFL Draft. They feel that Taylor will be the first blocker drafted and could go high in the first round.

Team sources love Taylor's combination of size, movement skills, and strength. Sources feel that 6-foot-5, 340-pounder has an excellent skill set with upside to be a top tackle in the NFL.

Here's what one national scout texted me about Taylor, "I bet you Jawaan Taylor is the first tackle to go in the draft if he comes out. I haven't seen him hardly anywhere from the experts, haha." In speaking to a general manager of a team in need of tackle help, they said that Taylor was their top offensive tackle prospect as well. While it is still early in the 2019 NFL Draft process, entering the offseason portion multiple NFL teams have Taylor as a their top-rated offensive lineman and think he could be a high first-round pick.

Edited by Cole World

Jawaan Taylor is really good. I was watching some of the South Carolina game again and he is just effortless and rushers just do not move him. I'm not convinced he's a NFL LT because there are so few that are 340 lbs, but he could be a very good RT or OG. 

Cole World likes this

13 hours ago, Summerhill said:

Jawaan Taylor is really good. I was watching some of the South Carolina game again and he is just effortless and rushers just do not move him. I'm not convinced he's a NFL LT because there are so few that are 340 lbs, but he could be a very good RT or OG. 

What round 2 3 or is he on the rise late 1 ?

8 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

What round 2 3 or is he on the rise late 1 ?

I just reviewed a few mock drafts.  People are picking up on him quickly.  I have seen JT mocked as the first OL within the top ten picks.  

3 hours ago, etherdome said:

I just reviewed a few mock drafts.  People are picking up on him quickly.  I have seen JT mocked as the first OL within the top ten picks.  

Charlie at Walter Football has him going #3 to the Jets.  For sure the Jets are our rival when it comes to securing the top OL this year.

Edited by Maltese Falcon

5 hours ago, etherdome said:

If your taking him top 10 you've got to really delve into this guy's tape.

I started this Florida thread about 2 months ago as it's the first college team I'd looked at.

Just been checking in on it and more of there players every now and then and just caught a quick glimpse of this guy.

8 hours ago, etherdome said:

I have a hard time seeing him go that high. In a normal draft the first RT/OG goes 15-25. The exceptions are Lane Johnson #4, who people thought is good enough to play LT, Jonathan Cooper #7, who was just in a putrid draft, and Quenton Nelson #6, who was simply an other worldly prospect. 

I would pencil in Taylor 15-25 and if you can make a better case for Cody Ford, Lindstrom, or someone else to go higher, starter bumping down Taylor to 35-40. That's probably his floor. 

Edited by Summerhill

Jawaan is one of the better tackles in the class. It’s a weak tackle class so that bodes well for him. I see him going 2nd at the latest. 

I've been watching some Florida games and really paying attention to Jawaan Taylor. The main thing that I can say is the guy just never struggles. He may not get some of the highlight pancakes and takedowns like Cody Ford does, but no one really even makes him work. He's very effortless. Also worth noting he's a true junior who started as a true freshman and was not a problem for the team when he was a true freshman. 

Cody Ford is on top at the moment in my eyes.

Watching him against Bama in combination with Samia on that OU right side impressed me.Also they were going against Davis Williams and co so they got tested and past that test.

Samia I like at G he’s my guy if we are looking for a stout G.

From what I’ve seen Ford > Taylor.

I Even think now that I’ve had a look at a few when it comes to being physical at the point of attack it’s Ford all day he physically looks to destroy you and take your heart every play hahahaha.

3 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

From what I’ve seen Ford > Taylor.

I Even think now that I’ve had a look at a few when it comes to being physical at the point of attack it’s Ford all day he physically looks to destroy you and take your heart every play hahahaha.

I think Taylor is a shade bit better than Ford.

I have watched him and Cody Ford and I gotta say I would choose Taylor over Ford.  They are the top two RT's, but if we try to convert I'm all in with Dillard.

He missed with his hand punch there and over extended.

Tell you what the OU Oline had a pretty decent plan against Williams.I saw a lot of Samia lining up on Williams outside shoulder when he was blocking him forcing him into the C basically double teaming him.

It worked to a lot of the time other times it didn’t but I liked the strategy behind it to try and neutralise the Quinnen Williams threat.

Cole World likes this

On 1/18/2019 at 5:29 PM, Cole World said:

I know it's only one play, but this is what scares me about Ford playing RT in the NFL.

How many times does this happen, though? Was it the occasional mistake or evidence of a pattern? I don't necessarily see a 245-lb LB beating him with a speed move as that big of a problem. Things happen and most players he'll be blocking in the NFL won't be of that type. 

My bigger theoretical concern with Ford is if bigger rushers can get low and get under him and push him back since he seems to play high but I haven't seen any evidence of that happening yet. 

Also, this should be in the Cody Ford thread. 

Francis York Morgan likes this

12 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

How many times does this happen, though? Was it the occasional mistake or evidence of a pattern? I don't necessarily see a 245-lb LB beating him with a speed move as that big of a problem. Things happen and most players he'll be blocking in the NFL won't be of that type. 

My bigger theoretical concern with Ford is if bigger rushers can get low and get under him and push him back since he seems to play high but I haven't seen any evidence of that happening yet. 

Also, this should be in the Cody Ford thread. 

That's the range of most DE's 245-270-lbs. Ford has only been playing on the edge for 1 season so it's not a lot to go off of.

And NO, this was the right thread to place this. It was directed towards a comment that Kiwi made earlier.

On 12/9/2018 at 8:46 AM, Cole World said:

I've looked at him a few times. I love his size / agility / power but he's def not on the same technical level a the Jonah. He's very good with initial contact but often fails to re-engage correctly and puts pressure on the QB. I'd love to have him if we can work out a few bugs. I wish Jonah had his size/length. 

8 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

I've looked at him a few times. I love his size / agility / power but he's def not on the same technical level a the Jonah. He's very good with initial contact but often fails to re-engage correctly and puts pressure on the QB. I'd love to have him if we can work out a few bugs. I wish Jonah had his size/length. 

Curious did you read the article Summerhill posted. It’s a pretty good description of him.

The O.D.B likes this

1 hour ago, Cole World said:

Curious did you read the article Summerhill posted. It’s a pretty good description of him.

yeah, I read it a few weeks back and then again today. The write-up looks like a no-miss pick however, my eyeball says - Really good player and likely awesome guard but, may have a sloppy looking learning curve at T. I do like him and can see why people are excited.

I'm a prude with Oline. I want that guy like Jake where you just can't deny the technical and unfortunately, to my eye many leave me with questions about what kind of pro they will be. 

Cole World likes this

Am I crazy? I'm just not seeing it with him. More plodding/clumsy than you would think given the hype about his athleticism. Footwork isn't that good. Dog isn't really there. I think he's a bust in the making. I'll watch some more.