AF89

Let's Repeat- Offseason to CONCACAF thread

58 posts in this topic

Winning the CL would really bump up ATLUTD's brand as well as MLS in general. They have the talent, but...

Who's gonna coach them? It goes without saying this is a critical decision. Getting the success is hard. Sustaining it is even harder. 

On 12/10/2018 at 5:42 PM, AF89 said:

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/2/10/5390890/mls-expansion-atlanta-mistake

MLS expansion to Atlanta would be a mistake

While the city has a willing ownership group and a stadium that seems passable, there's very little reason to believe that a MLS team would be successful there.

:mmmhmm:

Oh man I remember reading a long *** time ago. To be fair tho I dont think anyone was expecting this. I signed up for season tickets before we even signed a player only because I enjoy soccer. I never would have thought there would be a huge waitlist for season tickets two years in ...

:lol:

Theres a story floating around that supposedly Tata was interested in Orlando back before 2014 or whenever and they turned him down. 

10 hours ago, AF89 said:

Theres a story floating around that supposedly Tata was interested in Orlando back before 2014 or whenever and they turned him down. 

If that's true, that was a monumentally stupid move like when the Dolphins refused to sign Drew Brees.

On 12/10/2018 at 4:27 PM, AF89 said:

I don't know why they call him Pity, but I pity the fool who tries to take this guy on 1v1 in MLS.

11 hours ago, AF89 said:

This brings a huge smile to my face 

Looks like Sampaoli is off the table, and he's moved on to a Brazilian club while we're zeroing in on Schelotto (i need to practice typing that out with looking it up)

Not Atlanta United related exactly (outside of Schelotto and Pity) but I had to share.

Copa 90 Derby Days is simply the best 

On 12/14/2018 at 0:48 PM, Aston Villa FC said:

Who's the better coach? I dont keep up south America much

Frankly I would have prefered Sampaoli, maybe he'd be the bigger gamble, he's coming off a world cup where the players revolted against him, he was nearly fired before the final match but his record of success and style (from the same coaching tree as Tata)....It would have been really interesting, dude is something else.

Schelotto (the likely hire) is probably the safer pick, he just lead his team the the Libatadores final (S.A Champions League) and he's a former MLS MVP, so maybe his first year won't be as much of learning curve for how different MLS plays.Now I hear alot of this second hand, I'm definitely no soccer analyst bur I hear alot of Boca fan question his tactics, and one rumor that he had offers to manage in Serie A but the clubs were scared off because he didn't seem ready. Maybe just typical silly season rumors who knows. He's won a couple league titles with Boca but critics will point at the talent and claim he could have done more. But Boca and River fans are notoriously fickle and entitled (violently so see above). Maybe part of why Pity and Schelotto are fleeing here besides the money

I forgot to mention it but Pity Martinez was recently named the top player in all of CONMEBOL. Amazing that an MLS team could add a player like this still in his prime.

They lost today in the FIFA Club World Cup so he should be in house pretty soon. He's possibly skipping their third place game

United to play it's upcoming home leg in CCL in Kennesaw.(sounds like maybe due to scheduling conflicts) Have to say that's pretty weak for a club that wants to be taken seriously on the world stage to play second fiddle to a monster truck rally or whatever 

3 hours ago, Aston Villa FC said:

Kennesaw??? What stadium in Kennesaw? Oh my lord...this is payback for the highschoolers

I’m guessing it’s KSU’s Fifth Third Bank Stadium. It’s been used for various pro soccer games in the past . It doesn’t compare to The Benz, but then what does?

https://fifththirdbankstadium.com/events/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Third_Bank_Stadium

Edited by Porkins

10 hours ago, Aston Villa FC said:

Kennesaw??? What stadium in Kennesaw? Oh my lord...this is payback for the highschoolers

7 hours ago, Porkins said:

I’m guessing it’s KSU’s Fifth Third Bank Stadium. It’s been used for various pro soccer games in the past . It doesn’t compare to The Benz, but then what does?

https://fifththirdbankstadium.com/events/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Third_Bank_Stadium

Yeah 5th third. It's actually a really nice stadium, originally built for the pro womens team the Atlanta Beat, (currently Kenneaw State football) its soccer specific dimensions, we already play our early round Open Cup games there and starting this year Atlanta United 2 is moving there so we already have contracts in place for the building. I like going there

But it only holds like 8k, there's going to be huge interest in tickets for this game and I heard even the Costa Rican club could be sending alot of fans just to see their team in this huge stadium.

Unfortunately Turner has permanent football lines sewn into the turf and Bobby Dodd required major construction the last time we played there that we had to pay to put back.

Sucks that this will be the new coaches debut. Pity Martinez plays in front of 25k just for River Plate's practices

(Here's another candidate coming in from stage left like a surprise mystery wrestler in the ring buh gawd!)

Frank de Boer

For Ajax, Netherlands, Inter Milan and Crystal Palace manager 

If you want a football analogy people keep referring to him as the Dutch Lane Kiffin (let's hope not lol) :ninja: