SkerFalcon8710

Atlanta United MLS Cup champions

256 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, stingbee said:

Dude, did you know the World Cup TV ratings were awesome even without the US National team? Do you know the big Soccer teams sell out NFL Stadiums when they visit the US? The EPL pulls great ratings on NBC Sports? 

The World Cup Final at 8:00 am PST in Russia  had over 18 million on TV- by adding the Out of Home Viewing, the number got to 23 million or so. This was higher than the NBA Finals, World Series, NHL Cup, and so forth which are on Primetime.

This showed to advertisers how big Soccer has become in this country. The Investors in MLS are already pumping millions into the league.

Atlanta United success is another benchmark for Soccer massive growth showing that Soccer arrived in the South. Your arguments are old and expired thinking.

Columbus Crew is going to get a massive facelift with a $650 million investment from a new investor, Robert Kraft will pump millions into a new Stadium for his MLS team. This is all showing the growth of Soccer and where Soccer is going.

 Soccer has the  best demographic than any other sport which advertisers love. Average Demo for Soccer viewers is 38 years (the youngest than any other sport) and the most educated fan base in the US. Plus, they earn more than your average Sport fans. Soccer is huge among Millennials and the new generation of Americans. 

The overnight ratings are out and the soccer game put Fox 4th out of 4 in viewership for the primetime viewing window with roughly 1.3 million viewers. By comparison, Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer had over 3 times as many viewers on CBS at 8pm and Frosty the Snowman had over 2.5 times the viewership than the soccer game had on Fox. Dateline NBC beat it by double the viewers and the cooking show on ABC beat it as well although not by much.

The good news is that when comparing MLS ratings to previous MLS cups it was record breaking for the apples vs apples comparison and a big part of that was Atlanta's viewership.

For now, Atlanta is the roadmap on how to do it in a big time way with an owner that is willing to spend the money needed to put a top end roster on the field. My concern is United becoming the MLS version of the Dallas Cowboys of pre-salary cap where they outspend everyone else and the sport hurts for it in the markets that can't do that or the owners are too cheap.  The sport has a lot of growing to do especially when it comes to developing homegrown talent and keeping them in the states. I'd like to see them stop wasting money on these washed up international stars and use that money to keep the talent home. 

Link to ratings: https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-saturday-dec-8-2018/

Edited by mjqvi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mjqvi said:

The overnight ratings are out and the soccer game put Fox 4th out of 4 in viewership for the primetime viewing window with only 1.3 million viewers. By comparison, Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer had over 3 times as many viewers on CBS at 8pm and Frosty the Snowman had over 2.5 times the viewership than the soccer game had on Fox. Dateline NBC beat it by double the viewers and the cooking show on ABC beat it as well although not by much.

The good news is that when comparing MLS ratings to previous MLS cups it was record breaking for the apples vs apples comparison and a big part of that was Atlanta's viewership.

For now, Atlanta is the roadmap on how to do it in a big time way with an owner that is willing to spend the money needed to put a top end roster on the field. My concern is United becoming the MLS version of the Dallas Cowboys of pre-salary cap where they outspend everyone else and the sport hurts for it in the markets that can't do that or the owners are too cheap.  The sport has a lot of growing to do especially when it comes to developing homegrown talent and keeping them in the states. I'd like to see them stop wasting money on these washed up international stars and use that money to keep the talent home. 

Link to ratings: https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-saturday-dec-8-2018/

The Spanish numbers are not out. I’m thinking about another 1 million or so on the Spanish channel. Streaming numbers were mot included. 

Plus, thousands in Atlanta who where watching the games outside their homes. In terms of the local TV rating, Atlanta scores the highest MLS local TV rating for MLS period without counting the Spanish feed as well. 

mjqvi and Flying Falcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how a thread about applauding the first Major sports championship in Atlanta since 1995 can get de-railed so fast.

I remember as a PSL holder going to see the new stadium and all the United fans leaving the building as we were coming in, to which I was a little salty that they would let them see it before the Falcons STH. Still I gave United a chance being new. I ended up going to 3 matches in 2017, 8 this year including last night and there’s no comparison of the difference in energy. If you went to playoff games in the GA Dome in 2016 that’s about comparable to what you get every match with United. For now the Falcons are just a corporate booze fest with a team lacking consistency, United is a party that delivers. 

Congrats to Atlanta United, they learned from their mistakes last year and used losing the supporters shield the final game this season to propel themselves as MLS Champions....Dirty Birds can learn a lot from this team.

Edited by Cheyakita

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Cheyakita said:

Funny how a thread about applauding the first Major sports championship in Atlanta can get de-railed so fast.

I remember as a PSL holder going to see the new stadium and all the United fans leaving the building as we were coming in, to which I was a little salty that they would let them see it before the Falcons STH. Still I gave United a chance being new. I ended up going to 3 matches in 2017, 8 this year including last night and there’s no comparison of the difference in energy. If you went to playoff games in the GA Dome in 2016 that’s about comparable to what you get every match with United. For now the Falcons are just a corporate booze fest with a team lacking consistency, United is a party that delivers. 

Congrats to Atlanta United, they learned from their mistakes last year and used losing the supporters shield the final game this season to propel themselves as MLS Champions....Dirty Birds can learn a lot from this team.

Am I missing something here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mjqvi said:

The overnight ratings are out and the soccer game put Fox 4th out of 4 in viewership for the primetime viewing window with roughly 1.3 million viewers. By comparison, Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer had over 3 times as many viewers on CBS at 8pm and Frosty the Snowman had over 2.5 times the viewership than the soccer game had on Fox. Dateline NBC beat it by double the viewers and the cooking show on ABC beat it as well although not by much.

The good news is that when comparing MLS ratings to previous MLS cups it was record breaking for the apples vs apples comparison and a big part of that was Atlanta's viewership.

For now, Atlanta is the roadmap on how to do it in a big time way with an owner that is willing to spend the money needed to put a top end roster on the field. My concern is United becoming the MLS version of the Dallas Cowboys of pre-salary cap where they outspend everyone else and the sport hurts for it in the markets that can't do that or the owners are too cheap.  The sport has a lot of growing to do especially when it comes to developing homegrown talent and keeping them in the states. I'd like to see them stop wasting money on these washed up international stars and use that money to keep the talent home. 

Link to ratings: https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-saturday-dec-8-2018/

I wouldn’t even mind if we ran off a dynasty in these early years of MLS. ****, we have to deal with Celtics fans, Yankees fans, lakers fans, cowboys and Steelers fans in other sports. I’d love if we could return the favor and run off a couple and be able to say things like “count the cups” in 20 years when the sport is huge. Heck the LA Galaxy have already done that so far.

ratesforless likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen it posted that ATL UTD simply bought their championship or outspent every team on players. That's a patently false narrative. ATL was 9th in payroll this year out of 23 teams; POR was 6th in payroll.

#1) Toronto FC
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $26,167,498.69  
Change from 2017: $3,615,458.48

#2) LA Galaxy
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $17,502,008.29
Change from 2017: $4,628,449.15

#3) New York City FC
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $14,147,632.75
Change from 2017: $-3,960,499.64

#4) Chicago Fire
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $13,824,204.43
Change from 2017: $734,630.59

#5) Los Angeles FC
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $13,432,052.68
Change from 2017: N/A.

#6 Portland Timbers
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $12,516,334.71
Change from 2017: $1,147,019.53

#7) Montreal Impact
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $11,888,540.60
Change from 2017: $5,563,924.30

#8) Seattle Sounders
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $11,376,125.36
Change from 2017: $-444,123.44

#9) Atlanta United
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $11,306,330.49
Change from 2017: $1,910,814.23

#10) Colorado Rapids
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $11,001,331.46
Change from 2017: $2,744,826.25

#11) FC Dallas
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $9,333,819.28
Change from 2017: $1,386,429.17

#12) Sporting Kansas City
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $9,176,166.46
Change from 2017: $2,766,407.84

#13) Orlando City SC
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $8,981,657.53
Change from 2017: $-5,603,079.84

#14) Real Salt Lake
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $8,975,665.57
Change from 2017: $394,497.65

#15) Philadelphia Union
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $8,915,987.84
Change from 2017: $1,737,556.13

#16) Vancouver Whitecaps
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $8,233,011.70
Change from 2017: $-208,374.46

#17) Minnesota United
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $8,152,682.50
Change from 2017: $2,399,247.62

#18) San Jose Earthquakes
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $7,787,252.57
Change from 2017: $-656,993.55

#19) New York Red Bulls
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $7,689,313.93
Change from 2017: $402,251.86

#20) Columbus Crew
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $6,971,083.47
Change from 2017: $200,038.49

#21) New England Revolution
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $6,818,556.10
Change from 2017: $-677,660.94

#22) D.C. United
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $6,744,419.62
Change from 2017: $1,929,870.55

#23) Houston Dynamo
Team payroll (Guaranteed compensation): $5,673,471.62
Change from 2017: $-98,174.03

ATL UTD also has one player in the top 20 of salary (Miguel Almiron at #12). POR has two (#10 and #20).

AF89 and ratesforless like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a little worried when they announced this parade was going to be such a short turnaround, I would have preferred Friday (which wouldn't work for a couple reasons if they wanted all the players and use MBS) but this is awesome. Easily going to be a 100,000 plus and probably more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AF89 said:

I was a little worried when they announced this parade was going to be such a short turnaround, I would have preferred Friday (which wouldn't work for a couple reasons if they wanted all the players and use MBS) but this is awesome. Easily going to be a 100,000 plus and probably more

I'm watching it live and I'm not sure it's 100,000. MAYBE 10,000. Rough considering it's a Monday and the weather conditions. 

Flying Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stizz said:

I'm watching it live and I'm not sure it's 100,000. MAYBE 10,000. Rough considering it's a Monday and the weather conditions. 

There's way way more than 10k. At Falcons Landing alone.

Mike Conti on 92.9 the game thinks they're maybe 200k that wander through this thing by the time this is done later today but I think that's optimistic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Atlanta Falcons should be ashamed. The Atlanta United UFC has already won a national championship. We have failed every year since 1966. Congratulations Atlanta United and shame on you Atlanta Falcons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, *TMo* said:

The Atlanta Falcons should be ashamed. The Atlanta United UFC has already won a national championship. We have failed every year since 1966. Congratulations Atlanta United and shame on you Atlanta Falcons.

LOL, I wonder how much longer we have to wait for the Falcons to finally win it all...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Josef Martinez is the king of Atlanta.

 

His personality

Passion to win

And charisma is something this city has not seen since Primetime. Nobody on the current falcons even has a fraction of his charm.

Flying Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Forever Julian said:

Josef Martinez is the king of Atlanta.

 

His personality

Passion to win

And charisma is something this city has not seen since Primetime. Nobody on the current falcons even has a fraction of his charm.

Which  suddenly came out of nowhere this year. I think the Italian fans in Tirino really put his guard up when he first got here. He had a chip on his shoulder, looked and played pretty tightly wound but now he seems a lot looser more relaxed.

If you haven't read his article in the players tribune I recommend it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Which  suddenly came out of nowhere this year. I think the Italian fans in Tirino really put his guard up when he first got here. He had a chip on his shoulder, looked and played pretty tightly wound but now he seems a lot looser more relaxed.

If you haven't read his article in the players tribune I recommend it

It did.  He did seem kind of petulant at first, but hes really shined. I need to read the tribute.

AF89 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to give nothing short of my congrats to the Five Stripes for their championship victory on Saturday. For a city whose teams have lost titles in the most painful ways imaginable to mankind, to see them play Portland's style at first before slapping them silly and, get this, leave no doubt or 'uh oh' moment in the end was refreshing to say the least. While it didn't leave me teary eyed as I would've been had a certain team donning similar colors who play their home games in the same building won the game that I can no longer mention without slamming my head into a desk, the thought of a pro team bringing home a title, ANY title left me with a deep sense of satisfaction.

And for the record, with that title win, the United and Chiefs have double the amount of league championships as the Braves, Hawks, Falcons, Flames, and Thrashers do here COMBINED. The United have done in two years what the rest of those franchises have never done in this town save the Braves lone title in 1995, which has been largely marred by the mainstream because of the dozen or so playoff defeats sandwiched in between. Swim that around in your heads for a second; that's a lot of losing that we've had to deal with over the last six decades. 

And to answer a question someone brought up earlier. I firmly believe that having had this happen in the very same building where they play, there are a few nervous folks up in Flowery Branch wondering what Uncle Arthur is going to leave in their Christmas stockings over the next few weeks. Injuries aside, this season as been an unmitigated disaster and the very last thing they probably wanted to see was him holding up a trophy from a squad that wasn't in existence three years ago while they still find new and creative ways to embarrass themselves every week. He now knows for a fact that it isn't some karma, curse, or MBS being built on ancient Indian burial grounds that's held his teams back from winning titles; it's been the coaches, front office, and the players that's held his teams back from winning titles. Falcon HQ will NOT be a comfortable workplace to drive into come the day second after season's end.

As for the legitimacy of MLS in comparison to the other major pro sports, soccer's rise in participation and attendance, all I'll say in that regard is that I welcome it. I especially welcome it when our team is the rising tide that lifts the other boats around. Hopefully, the same sense of urgency that this squad had can spill over to the other three teams as well. As I stated in the last paragraph, a certain football team is going to get that message real soon. Loud and clear...

mqg96 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not understand why some fans are dissing Atlanta United or the achievement. It is good that MLS is growing in popularity and it is great to have a champion and I believe this can be of benefit to the Atlanta Falcons. There are no reasons to pin one against another but root for both and the mutual success. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ratesforless said:

I'm going to give nothing short of my congrats to the Five Stripes for their championship victory on Saturday. For a city whose teams have lost titles in the most painful ways imaginable to mankind, to see them play Portland's style at first before slapping them silly and, get this, leave no doubt or 'uh oh' moment in the end was refreshing to say the least. While it didn't leave me teary eyed as I would've been had a certain team donning similar colors who play their home games in the same building won the game that I can no longer mention without slamming my head into a desk, the thought of a pro team bringing home a title, ANY title left me with a deep sense of satisfaction.

And for the record, with that title win, the United and Chiefs have double the amount of league championships as the Braves, Hawks, Falcons, Flames, and Thrashers do here COMBINED. The United have done in two years what the rest of those franchises have never done in this town save the Braves lone title in 1995, which has been largely marred by the mainstream because of the dozen or so playoff defeats sandwiched in between. Swim that around in your heads for a second; that's a lot of losing that we've had to deal with over the last six decades. 

And to answer a question someone brought up earlier. I firmly believe that having had this happen in the very same building where they play, there are a few nervous folks up in Flowery Branch wondering what Uncle Arthur is going to leave in their Christmas stockings over the next few weeks. Injuries aside, this season as been an unmitigated disaster and the very last thing they probably wanted to see was him holding up a trophy from a squad that wasn't in existence three years ago while they still find new and creative ways to embarrass themselves every week. He now knows for a fact that it isn't some karma, curse, or MBS being built on ancient Indian burial grounds that's held his teams back from winning titles; it's been the coaches, front office, and the players that's held his teams back from winning titles. Falcon HQ will NOT be a comfortable workplace to drive into come the day second after season's end.

As for the legitimacy of MLS in comparison to the other major pro sports, soccer's rise in participation and attendance, all I'll say in that regard is that I welcome it. I especially welcome it when our team is the rising tide that lifts the other boats around. Hopefully, the same sense of urgency that this squad had can spill over to the other three teams as well. As I stated in the last paragraph, a certain football team is going to get that message real soon. Loud and clear...

That stadium was built for the Falcons with the United being visitors. Only two years in and it's the other way around. United are a phenomenal team, but the Falcons should be embarrassed. 

ratesforless likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, stizz said:

That stadium was built for the Falcons with the United being visitors. Only two years in and it's the other way around. United are a phenomenal team, but the Falcons should be embarrassed. 

You haven't seen embarrassing yet. Wait until you see that crowd come this Sunday to watch them and Arizona get it on for the first pick of the draft...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ratesforless said:

You haven't seen embarrassing yet. Wait until you see that crowd come this Sunday to watch them and Arizona get it on for the first pick of the draft...

Lmao I shouldn't have laughed at my Falcons like that but I did.

Flying Falcon and ratesforless like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:19 PM, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Your muh football is the best muh soccer is weak posts? Ok

What's the "muh" thing about? Why can't it be "Yo my football bruh" or "mize football dog"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now