SkerFalcon8710

Atlanta United MLS Cup champions

256 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, dmo_dlo said:

I agree that the advertisement landscape is changing, and it may become more attractive in a streaming world. But you're talking about world cup and 18 million viewership. Do you know how many people watched at their homes when Atlanta gave the SB away? 110 million. 18 million is probably about 6% of the population who could watch a game, do you what percent of people in Brazil or Mexico or Chile or Italy or Germany or England or Iran or Japan watch the world cup final? So while the prospects may be growing, soccer has a long ways to go before it is as attractive to advertisers as NFL is.

This is so inaccurate 

Just now, dmo_dlo said:

I agree that the advertisement landscape is changing, and it may become more attractive in a streaming world. But you're talking about world cup and 18 million viewership. Do you know how many people watched at their homes when Atlanta gave the SB away? 110 million. 18 million is probably about 6% of the population who could watch a game, do you what percent of people in Brazil or Mexico or Chile or Italy or Germany or England or Iran or Japan watch the world cup final? So while the prospects may be growing, soccer has a long ways to go before it is as attractive to advertisers as NFL is.

Soccer viewership for World Cup in the US is one of the highest in the world now.

A freaking weekday game for World Cup during work hours was pulling over 10 million with no US.. No other sport can do that even in the US except for NFL playoffs. This shows what Soccer means for sports fan in the US.

slickgadawg likes this

3 hours ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

Purely antidotal. But I have never once overheard any adults having a conversation about professional soccer let alone ATL United. Would have had no idea they were even playing for a championship if it wasn’t for this message board. 

I’m sure the stadium was packed out but I would also be willing to bet the majority of people in Georgia couldn’t have cared less. 

Just because you didn't know anything about it doesn't make your statement true.

Atlanta United crowds and the atmosphere remind you of the early Vick days but even the Vick days crowds aren't as wild as the United crowds.  Its like a INTERACTIVE EVENT when they play. Its soo much going on around the stadium that you can't take it all in.  And the fans are RIGHT THERE on the field.  I even love how the futball team comes out through the fans at the beginning of the game.  MLS got what they wanted with Atlanta being on national tv for the playoffs and final game...

Related image

Image result for atlanta united team walking through fans beginning of game

Related image

Edited by slickgadawg

20 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

Is it possible to have Fantasy Soccer Leagues?

How much of your mind do you really use in soccer - is it mainly just a reactionary thing?  There is no real time to pause and think as you are constantly moving and simply are just running up and down the field kicking a ball until you see a chance to kick in a goal.  In American football, you pause between every play and think out a strategy/play.  In baseball, you think about the pitch you are going to throw, whether you will change pitchers for a hitter, how you set your players in the field for a hitter, etc.  Even in golf, you debate which club to use.  How do you really use your mind in soccer other than just reacting to the ball being in the right place at the right time?

I shouldn’t spend time responding to this but I will.  I played soccer growing up.   Here are a few things (among others) you have think about:

—avoid getting caught offsides;

—your responsibilities given the team’s alignment (3-5-2, 1-5-4, 2-4-4, etc)

—reacting to the play without forgetting your particular defensive assignment, basically like playing zone;

—positioning on corner kicks and knowing the play;

—same for free kicks;

—staying on the same page as your teammate on a breakout pass; and

—knowing how much pushing and tripping you can get away with before the ref starts making calls.  

We had to do all this thinking with a constantly running clock and no timeouts except for injuries.   We didn’t get to run for 5-7 seconds and then have 40 seconds to catch our breath and figure out what to do next.  

It is not just 11 guys running around chasing a ball.   One slip up on positioning can cost you the game.  United’s first goal happened because Portland let their guard down on one routine outlet pass.  

42 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

This ^

Dude its clear you know absolutely nothing of the sport. A 6’8 260lb lebron james would not last running 10 miles a game. I get it, you dont like games where the balls arent in your hand. Its an american ignorance. Keep on hating, people like you are the exact reason everyone thinks falcon fans are pathetic and the worst. Your blind hatred is laughable. 

I think people like you are the reason everyone thinks that people who lack reading comprehension and respond with a hysterical, over-emotional outburst are pathetic and the worst, but you will probably fail to understand this post as much as you failed to understand my others.

17 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Atlanta United crowds and the atmosphere remind you of the early Vick days but even the Vick days crowds aren't as wild as the United crowds.  Its like a INTERACTIVE EVENT when they play. Its soo much going on around the stadium that you can't take it all in.  And the fans are RIGHT THERE on the field.  I even love how the futball team comes out through the fans at the beginning of the game.  MLS got what they wanted with Atlanta being on national tv for the playoffs and final game...

Related image

Image result for atlanta united team walking through fans beginning of game

Related image

There's a couple NFL teams (Vikings, Cowboys) that I can think of that lets the team walk out of the tunnel with the fans being right there.

slickgadawg likes this

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

There's a couple NFL teams (Vikings, Cowboys) that I can think of that lets the team walk out of the tunnel with the fans being right there.

Cowboys even got stripper poles for the cheerleaders...:lol:

Image result for inside at&t stadium cheerleader pole

Image result for jerry jones smiling gif

Falconsfan567 likes this

45 minutes ago, NOVAFalconFan said:

I think people like you are the reason everyone thinks that people who lack reading comprehension and respond with a hysterical, over-emotional outburst are pathetic and the worst, but you will probably fail to understand this post as much as you failed to understand my others.

Your muh football is the best muh soccer is weak posts? Ok

1 hour ago, stingbee said:

Soccer viewership for World Cup in the US is one of the highest in the world now.

A freaking weekday game for World Cup during work hours was pulling over 10 million with no US.. No other sport can do that even in the US except for NFL playoffs. This shows what Soccer means for sports fan in the US.

I don't know where you're getting your numbers for the claim that world cup viewership in the US is one of the highest worldwide?!!

The world cup final had a global in-home viewership of 900 million, and a US in-home viewership of 11.3 million, and by the way that indicates a 30% decline compared to the last world cup. So the US had about 1.1% of the global viewership while having about 5% of the world population. How can that translate to one of the highest viewership rates in the world?!!

And this is not even the point I was making. My point is that advertisers have historically preferred MLB and NFL and NBA as the structure of the game has many breaks and lends itself well to advertisement, while soccer doesn't. Yes, things may be changing, but the historic lack of ad revenues has held soccer back in the US.

20 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Your muh football is the best muh soccer is weak posts? Ok

I didn’t ever say that.  Your manties and soy latte are causing you to rush to project what you want to see instead of what’s there.

Just now, NOVAFalconFan said:

I didn’t ever say that.  Your manties and soy latte are causing you to rush to project what you want to see instead of what’s there.

Good god youre an idiot. Calling me a soyboi :lol: laughable bro. Keep em coming. Youre butthurt bc your teams failed to do anything all year and blew leads left and right. Its ok we’ll keep a spot on the bandwagon for you later down the road

4 hours ago, MAD597 said:

That's going to change. Soccer is a world sport and with the NFL declining and changing demographics in the country it seems finally Soccer has a good foot hold in the USA.

As a Parent of a 9 year old I see it now where other parents are not putting their kids in football due to concussion and health problems caused by the sport and instead are putting them in soccer. It's a generational shift that will further cause the talent pool for football to decline while the talent pool for soccer to increase and these kids growing up playing soccer will grow into pro soccer fans.

I’ve tried watching soccer and just don’t find it an intriguing sport. A lot of running and very low scores. Maybe your right and America will conform to the rest of the world, but i’ve always been a fan of America’s unique sports.

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

5 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Good god youre an idiot. Calling me a soyboi :lol: laughable bro. Keep em coming. Youre butthurt bc your teams failed to do anything all year and blew leads left and right. Its ok we’ll keep a spot on the bandwagon for you later down the road

I follow soccer, you dolt.  The fact that our country puts together a team that gets knocked out of the World Cup by a country smaller than Dawsonville doesn’t offend you?  Because it does me.  It has to be explained by something, which is that our best athletes don’t choose to play soccer...yet.  

2 hours ago, Nereek said:

I don't get into soccer, but why does soccer teams sell their players? Rumor has it, United gonna sell one of their best players.

Most teams sell their players to able to reinvest in the club or in poorer countries sometimes to just keep the lights on.

Atlanta is different in that we're set for money we don't really need to.  But it's part of a bargain we have with the players of sorts. In return for getting talent that would normally be beyond our leagues reach we send them to Europe when their ready. Other clubs are now copying Atlanta marketing themselves to players as sellers.

2 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

Is it possible to have Fantasy Soccer Leagues?

How much of your mind do you really use in soccer - is it mainly just a reactionary thing?  There is no real time to pause and think as you are constantly moving and simply are just running up and down the field kicking a ball until you see a chance to kick in a goal.  In American football, you pause between every play and think out a strategy/play.  In baseball, you think about the pitch you are going to throw, whether you will change pitchers for a hitter, how you set your players in the field for a hitter, etc.  Even in golf, you debate which club to use.  How do you really use your mind in soccer other than just reacting to the ball being in the right place at the right time?

:huh::bang:

AF89 likes this

8 hours ago, AF89 said:

Well yeah thats what I meant

Speaking of which the entire stadium stood all 90 minutes tonight. Not sure if this was the first time but the other time I went to a full capacity event lower bowl stood, upper bowl sat.

300s stood the entire time last night. Did not expect that. The playoff game against Columbus last year we sat. 

AF89 likes this

2 hours ago, NOVAFalconFan said:

I follow soccer, you dolt.  The fact that our country puts together a team that gets knocked out of the World Cup by a country smaller than Dawsonville doesn’t offend you?  Because it does me.  It has to be explained by something, which is that our best athletes don’t choose to play soccer...yet.  

Coaching matters.. look at the falcons. Usmnt gets a new coach with fresh eyes for talent 

4 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Coaching matters.. look at the falcons. Usmnt gets a new coach with fresh eyes for talent 

I actually liked Klinsman but his preference for European with American traces contributed significantly to why the cupboard was bare till Pulisic 

SkerFalcon8710 likes this

Just now, AF89 said:

I actually liked Klinsman but his preference for European with American traces contributed significantly to why the cupboard was bare to Pulisic 

As did i

3 hours ago, dmo_dlo said:

I don't know where you're getting your numbers for the claim that world cup viewership in the US is one of the highest worldwide?!!

The world cup final had a global in-home viewership of 900 million, and a US in-home viewership of 11.3 million, and by the way that indicates a 30% decline compared to the last world cup. So the US had about 1.1% of the global viewership while having about 5% of the world population. How can that translate to one of the highest viewership rates in the world?!!

And this is not even the point I was making. My point is that advertisers have historically preferred MLB and NFL and NBA as the structure of the game has many breaks and lends itself well to advertisement, while soccer doesn't. Yes, things may be changing, but the historic lack of ad revenues has held soccer back in the US.

This is for a single game, not World Cup Final. I’m talking about a weekday game going live at 2:00 pm or early window. 

The 2014 World Cup Final was seen by some 30+ million Americans when you added the Out of Home viewers. These are awesome numbers. The game started 3:30 pm EST. The 2018 World Cup with a terrible time slot, still pulled over 20+ million viewers with outside viewers added.

The highest watched soccer game in the history of the United States  (including El Tri games) was actually a womens final

I don't have a point to prove with that I just always liked that stat and how we get behind USWNT every four years