SkerFalcon8710

Atlanta United MLS Cup champions

256 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

73,000 plus in attendance tonight says otherwise!!

Purely antidotal. But I have never once overheard any adults having a conversation about professional soccer let alone ATL United. Would have had no idea they were even playing for a championship if it wasn’t for this message board. 

I’m sure the stadium was packed out but I would also be willing to bet the majority of people in Georgia couldn’t have cared less. 

mjqvi likes this

For those saying this isn't a "major sports" title are completely wrong. I even see some people comparing MLS to minor leagues. Must haven't been paying attention to 92.9 on radio or the huge fanbase MLS have nationwide and worldwide. The crowd in a MAJOR LEAGUE soccer game was electric. If you're talking about the BIG 4 professional sports then I'll agree with you but to say this isn't a major pro sports title is completely wrong.

Go on google and type in "major pro sports", in order it'll list the big 4 first "MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL" and guess what's next in line.... "MLS". Yep, that's right. MLS is the closest professional sports in popularity right now to joining those 4 so it can become the BIG 5.

So I'm enjoying the moment for the Atlanta United right now. Across Georgia since last year we've been seeing Atlanta United stickers and banners everywhere whether it was on people's cars or hung up in front of their houses. Don't even try to compare MLS any "minor league" sport because it's not.

MLS is 2nd tier right now (and I mean outside of the big 4 by that) but the league is trying to expand to 28 teams by the early 2020's and not for long it might become 1st tier with the big 4 sports making it become the big 5. People still count the Celtics titles decades back when there were hardly any NBA teams, way less than there are MLS franchises right now. People count all the Yankees rigged World Series titles when there were less MLB teams. I don't wanna hear the excuses. This is our first major title since 1995, and no one will ever take that away from us! 

3 minutes ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

Purely antidotal. But I have never once overheard any adults having a conversation about professional soccer let alone ATL United. Would have had no idea they were even playing for a championship if it wasn’t for this message board. 

I’m sure the stadium was packed out but I would also be willing to bet the majority of people in Georgia couldn’t have cared less. 

That's going to change. Soccer is a world sport and with the NFL declining and changing demographics in the country it seems finally Soccer has a good foot hold in the USA.

As a Parent of a 9 year old I see it now where other parents are not putting their kids in football due to concussion and health problems caused by the sport and instead are putting them in soccer. It's a generational shift that will further cause the talent pool for football to decline while the talent pool for soccer to increase and these kids growing up playing soccer will grow into pro soccer fans.

1 minute ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

Well they probably will after Monday. News like this spreads fast.

Most Georgians don't watch game of thrones either. Again I ask..so what? It can't diminish that we just had a championship with 73k in attendance that sold out in under an hour. Why care what other people like if you enjoy it? Enough do that it can more than adequately thrive without them (but we would love to have them nonetheless) I don't put value in the sports championships I enjoy on whether or not people I've never met are talking about it down at the barber shop or appreciate it as much as they would the Braves or Falcons (and alot of folks in this state especially outside of Atlanta could care less about the Falcons and Hawks too. Much fewer people talk about the Falcons in South or Middle Georgia)

Francis York Morgan and mqg96 like this

6 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Most Georgians don't watch game of thrones. Again I ask..so what? It can't diminish that we just had a championship with 73k in attendance that sold out in under an hour. Why care what other people like if you enjoy it? Enough do that it can more than adequately thrive without them (but we would love to have them nonetheless) I don't put value in the sports championships I enjoy on whether or not people I've never met are talking about it down at the barber shop or appreciate it as much as they would the Braves or Falcons (and alot of folks in this state especially outside of Atlanta could care less about the Falcons and Hawks too. Much fewer people talk about the Falcons in South or Middle Georgia)

Anecdotally I was not able to make it to one of my great uncles funerals cause his south georgia family thought it would be a swell idea to hold services the day of the Falcons superbowl :sadwave:(wrapped up in thier grief as they were) Falcons didn't even reigster with them tho I'd bet if it were UGA, Uncle Buddy would have been buried on Monday

11 hours ago, RubberDucky said:

87,000 people in that stadium tonight. Don't give one single f*** if the the rest of the nation knows or cares about it. It means something to the city. Means something to the fans. Means something to Arthur Blank.

Mr Blank has now gotten a taste of success. He knows how it feels to be a champion. It's going to effect the Falcons.

I really hope so for the Falcons. I didn't get to see the game until the last few minutes because I honestly didn't even know it was on living outside of Atlanta. Just a poor job of advertising this thing by Fox but then again this is the network that screwed up the World Cup. The stadium simply looked incredible and it's a shame PSL's have all but killed this kind of environment for the Falcons. I'm just glad that MBS isn't built on cursed land. 

Soccer has a long ways to grow in this country being the #5 or 6 sport but Atlanta and Seattle are doing it right and is a nice structure on how to move forward with the league. 

I am not necessarily rooting against the United and their success as it does promote Atlanta's success overall but they do not interest me.

Going back to my youth, I found soccer a really moronic sport.  You barely use your valuable hands which are designed for athletics.  Meanwhile, especially at the pro level, you are constantly bouncing a ball off your precious head (concussions?).  Then, you are lucky to see more than a couple of goals in a game and most of them seem to be scored on a penalty kick and usually by the same player.

I also sense that the MLS is more of a minor league to the "bigger" professional leagues overseas/across the border.  The vast majority of the United is foreign players (the United make a point of noting the 4 or 5 "homegrown" players on its roster) who would jump at a chance to go to a league in Europe.  We are already losing our coach to a bigger league also.

ESPN, CBSSports, etc. all have mentions of the United's win on their main webpage but in all cases it is not immediately seen.  However, a Falcons win in the Superbowl would be the first thing you would see on these sites the day after.

The United should be congratulated for their win but I am not sold on soccer or have any desire to go to their games myself.

12 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

I am not necessarily rooting against the United and their success as it does promote Atlanta's success overall but they do not interest me.

Going back to my youth, I found soccer a really moronic sport.  You barely use your valuable hands which are designed for athletics.  Meanwhile, especially at the pro level, you are constantly bouncing a ball off your precious head (concussions?).  Then, you are lucky to see more than a couple of goals in a game and most of them seem to be scored on a penalty kick and usually by the same player.

I also sense that the MLS is more of a minor league to the "bigger" professional leagues overseas/across the border.  The vast majority of the United is foreign players (the United make a point of noting the 4 or 5 "homegrown" players on its roster) who would jump at a chance to go to a league in Europe.  We are already losing our coach to a bigger league also.

ESPN, CBSSports, etc. all have mentions of the United's win on their main webpage but in all cases it is not immediately seen.  However, a Falcons win in the Superbowl would be the first thing you would see on these sites the day after.

The United should be congratulated for their win but I am not sold on soccer or have any desire to go to their games myself.

It's a cultural thing. The USA is pretty much the only place on the entire Planet where Soccer is not the most popular sport. That is actually starting to change even here, as football declines and parents push their kids to soccer for both boys and girls cause it is not nearly as dangerous and also open to kids of any gender where Football is not. Over time these kids playing soccer will propel the sport even further due to their interest in it at a young ave AND the fact the youth talent pool will grow for Soccer and shrink for football.

Flying Falcon likes this

3 minutes ago, octoslash said:

It's cracking me up reading all these posts from people who couldn't care less about soccer, yet feel the need to get on here and make sure we all know they aren't interested.   lmao

Probably the same folks that contact their ex every other day just to say ‘I still don’t care about you’

35 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

Thats why its originally called FOOTBALL for a reason.You use your feet. not all sports need to use hands. 

4 minutes ago, FalconsForever1990 said:

Thats why its originally called FOOTBALL for a reason.You use your feet. not all sports need to use hands. 

An amputee could play soccer - almost every other sport fully utilizes the human body whereas football/soccer purposely ignores it.

Golf - arms, legs, mind

Baseball - arms, legs, mind

American football - arms, legs, mind

Basketball - arms, legs, mind

Polo - arms, mind, legs-to guide the horse

Lacrosse - arms, legs, mind

Hockey - arms, legs, mind

Soccer - legs, mind, arms-barely by the goalie (why him?) and on throw-ins

Running - legs, mind, arms-arm motion does help runner gain momentum

Tennis - arms, legs, mind

Car racing - arms, legs, mind

Is there any sport but soccer that forces the athlete to ignore part of his or her body?

These discussions on why soccer has not been as successful in the US miss the real culprit that is capitalism. I'm not trying to politicize the issue, but there is truth to this claim.

Soccer is the most popular sport worldwide because you don't really need anything to play it. There are parts of the world where kids use socks tied up together, or cheap plastic mushed together as a soccer ball. There are poor countries where kids play with bare feet, no jerseys or cleats or referees or ... It's mostly in America that as a child you must pay and buy cleats and shin guards and jerseys and pay for registration and have a coach and referees and pay for and book a field and pay for trips to tournaments and ... It'll cost you a fortune in money and time to have your 3 year old kick the ball around and play with other 3 year olds. In other countries people make money only from the highest level of players, but fuel that by letting the enthusiasm and love of the game and participation and training to happen naturally among everyday people. Here, we do our best to make as much money from our kids playing soccer, and it has changed what the game was supposed to be.

Second way a capitalist approach has hurt soccer in the US is in broadcasting, and the dislike advertisers have for soccer compared to other pro sports in America. It is no coincidence that TV programmers prefer NFL and NBA and MLB to soccer; they always have because those sports lend themselves much better to advertisement than soccer where you can't cut off and go to commercials that often. And when you can at half, it is for 15 minutes so the advertisers know that people are not sitting by their TVs and watching. There simply isn't as much advertisement money in soccer for TV networks, so they have never really tried to push soccer as a mainstream sport.

59 minutes ago, octoslash said:

It's cracking me up reading all these posts from people who couldn't care less about soccer, yet feel the need to get on here and make sure we all know they aren't interested.   lmao

Oh

I thought this was TATF ? (Talk about the Falcons). ? Seems to me the ones discussing how great soccer is is on the wrong message board. Need a TAAU board to discuss the little round kick ball game.

B)

Edited by AvidFalconFan
Revise
mjqvi likes this

14 hours ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Congrats Arthur!

Congrats Atlanta!

Congrats to the MLS. Our fans put on a show!!!

UNITED!!!!!!!!!!!

so glad i was able to attend a game this year and be part of this! 

In b4 “muh TATF”

Atlanta United became the first Super Club in MLS- they are worth $350 million dollars with two years of existence. This team set the blueprint for the rest of MLS. Thank you to Fox Sports for putting it on Primetime on the Big Fox. This truly felt like a major Championship and the biggest MLS Cup to date. 

Next year’s MLS Cup Final will be on ESPN (they rotate with Fox), and I hope ESPN follows the Fox blueprint and put it on ABC on Saturday night. 

This was a huge night for the City of Atlanta, Soccer in the South, and MLS going forward. 

ratesforless and Flying Falcon like this

6 minutes ago, AvidFalconFan said:

Oh

I thought this was TATF ? (Talk about the Falcons). ? Seems to me the ones discussing how great soccer is is on the wrong message board. Need a TAAU board to discuss the little round ball game.

B)

There is a Talk About the United board already:

https://boards.atlantafalcons.com/forum/610-talk-about-the-atlanta-united-fc/

Of course, it only has 1,152 posts to it.  Really, this thread right here should be on that board.

4 hours ago, Herr Beast said:

Jesus, you know nothing about football skills. Usain Bolt couldn‘t even make it on an Australian football team (and they are even way lower than MLS) and he even grew up playing football. Football skills can not be measured like this. 

This ^

4 hours ago, NOVAFalconFan said:

But if all the potential Usain Bolts are focused on one thing, the ones who excel at it will come to the fore.  Our Usain Bolts have never been focused on soccer before.

Dude its clear you know absolutely nothing of the sport. A 6’8 260lb lebron james would not last running 10 miles a game. I get it, you dont like games where the balls arent in your hand. Its an american ignorance. Keep on hating, people like you are the exact reason everyone thinks falcon fans are pathetic and the worst. Your blind hatred is laughable. 

21 minutes ago, dmo_dlo said:

These discussions on why soccer has not been as successful in the US miss the real culprit that is capitalism. I'm not trying to politicize the issue, but there is truth to this claim.

Soccer is the most popular sport worldwide because you don't really need anything to play it. There are parts of the world where kids use socks tied up together, or cheap plastic mushed together as a soccer ball. There are poor countries where kids play with bare feet, no jerseys or cleats or referees or ... It's mostly in America that as a child you must pay and buy cleats and shin guards and jerseys and pay for registration and have a coach and referees and pay for and book a field and pay for trips to tournaments and ... It'll cost you a fortune in money and time to have your 3 year old kick the ball around and play with other 3 year olds. In other countries people make money only from the highest level of players, but fuel that by letting the enthusiasm and love of the game and participation and training to happen naturally among everyday people. Here, we do our best to make as much money from our kids playing soccer, and it has changed what the game was supposed to be.

Second way a capitalist approach has hurt soccer in the US is in broadcasting, and the dislike advertisers have for soccer compared to other pro sports in America. It is no coincidence that TV programmers prefer NFL and NBA and MLB to soccer; they always have because those sports lend themselves much better to advertisement than soccer where you can't cut off and go to commercials that often. And when you can at half, it is for 15 minutes so the advertisers know that people are not sitting by their TVs and watching. There simply isn't as much advertisement money in soccer for TV networks, so they have never really tried to push soccer as a mainstream sport.

Dude, did you know the World Cup TV ratings were awesome even without the US National team? Do you know the big Soccer teams sell out NFL Stadiums when they visit the US? The EPL pulls great ratings on NBC Sports? 

The World Cup Final at 8:00 am PST in Russia  had over 18 million on TV- by adding the Out of Home Viewing, the number got to 23 million or so. This was higher than the NBA Finals, World Series, NHL Cup, and so forth which are on Primetime.

This showed to advertisers how big Soccer has become in this country. The Investors in MLS are already pumping millions into the league.

Atlanta United success is another benchmark for Soccer massive growth showing that Soccer arrived in the South. Your arguments are old and expired thinking.

Columbus Crew is going to get a massive facelift with a $650 million investment from a new investor, Robert Kraft will pump millions into a new Stadium for his MLS team. This is all showing the growth of Soccer and where Soccer is going.

Soccer has the  best demographic than any other sport which advertisers love. Average Demo for Soccer viewers is 38 years (the youngest than any other sport) and the most educated fan base in the US. Plus, they earn more than your average Sport fans. Soccer is huge among Millennials and the new generation of Americans. 

Edited by stingbee

3 hours ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

Cool story bro, enjoy that holiday fiesta bowl or whatever 2nd rate garbage the dogs are in and the losing season the falcons put up, then you can hang around and cry when the hawks dont get the #1 pick and the braves choke and win 60 games 

16 minutes ago, stingbee said:

Atlanta United became the first Super Club in MLS- they are worth $350 million dollars with two years of existence. This team set the blueprint for the rest of MLS. Thank you to Fox Sports for putting it on Primetime on the Big Fox. This truly felt like a major Championship and the biggest MLS Cup to date. 

Next year’s MLS Cup Final will be on ESPN (they rotate with Fox), and I hope ESPN follows the Fox blueprint and put it on ABC on Saturday night. 

This was a huge night for the City of Atlanta, Soccer in the South, and MLS going forward. 

As a comparison, IIRC the Thrashers were worth about $150m when they left town

Is it possible to have Fantasy Soccer Leagues?

How much of your mind do you really use in soccer - is it mainly just a reactionary thing?  There is no real time to pause and think as you are constantly moving and simply are just running up and down the field kicking a ball until you see a chance to kick in a goal.  In American football, you pause between every play and think out a strategy/play.  In baseball, you think about the pitch you are going to throw, whether you will change pitchers for a hitter, how you set your players in the field for a hitter, etc.  Even in golf, you debate which club to use.  How do you really use your mind in soccer other than just reacting to the ball being in the right place at the right time?

3 minutes ago, stingbee said:

Dude, did you know the World Cup TV ratings were awesome even without the US National team? Do you know the big Soccer teams sell out NFL Stadiums when they visit the US? The EPL pulls great ratings on NBC Sports? 

The World Cup Final at 8:00 am PST in Russia  had over 18 million on TV- by adding the Out of Home Viewing, the number got to 23 million or so. This was higher than the NBA Finals, World Series, NHL Cup, and so forth which are on Primetime.

This showed to advertisers how big Soccer has become in this country. The Investors in MLS are already pumping millions into the league.

Atlanta United success is another benchmark for Soccer massive growth showing that Soccer arrived in the South. Your arguments are old and expired thinking.

Columbus Crew is going to get a massive facelift with a $650 million investment from a new investor, Robert Kraft will pump millions into a new Stadium for his MLS team. This is all showing the growth of Soccer and where Soccer is going.

Soccer has the  best demographic than any other sport which advertisers love. Average Demo for Soccer viewers is 38 years (the youngest than any other sport) and the most educated fan base in the US. Plus, they earn more than your average Sport fans. Soccer is huge among Millennials and the new generation of Americans. 

I agree that the advertisement landscape is changing, and it may become more attractive in a streaming world. But you're talking about world cup and 18 million viewership. Do you know how many people watched at their homes when Atlanta gave the SB away? 110 million. 18 million is probably about 6% of the population who could watch a game, do you what percent of people in Brazil or Mexico or Chile or Italy or Germany or England or Iran or Japan watch the world cup final? So while the prospects may be growing, soccer has a long ways to go before it is as attractive to advertisers as NFL is.

I don't get into soccer, but why does soccer teams sell their players? Rumor has it, United gonna sell one of their best players.