SkerFalcon8710

Atlanta United MLS Cup champions

256 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, NOVAFalconFan said:

I’ll tell you what’s wrong with that, our ‘Mericans got knocked out of the last World Cup by ****ing Trinidad and Tobago.  Are you ****ting me?  The ‘Mericans that we sent to represent us got knocked out by a country smaller than Birmingham, Alabama? (That may or may not be true, but it doesn’t matther)  

American soccer sucks because our worst athletes play it, and all Americans know that.  If Lebron and Julio and Mike Vick and Barry Sanders grew up playing soccer only, THEN all the rest of the world would grow to hate it as much as we do now.  Because the World Cup would just be seeding to see who lost to America in what order.

ETA- we have better athletes in our track and field ranks than on our national soccer team...it’s laughable.

Jesus, you know nothing about football skills. Usain Bolt couldn‘t even make it on an Australian football team (and they are even way lower than MLS) and he even grew up playing football. Football skills can not be measured like this. 

3 minutes ago, Herr Beast said:

As someone living a 10 minute foot walk away from „The Wall“ in Dortmund, let me tell you that ATLUTD did indeed accomplish something great and it not only winning that championship. People over here in Europe know what happened and know that there is a team in the US that draws 70000+ in attendance every week. ATLUTD did only only put themselfes on the map of world football but probably all of MLS.

The BVB Wall is on my bucketlist. Not so deluded to think I could sit in it but to see it in person would be pretty awsome

1 minute ago, AF89 said:

The BVB Wall is on my bucketlist. Not so deluded to think I could sit in it but to see it in person would be pretty awsome

There is no sitting in the wall. Everybody stands all 90 minutes.

Flying Falcon likes this

2 minutes ago, Herr Beast said:

Jesus, you know nothing about football skills. Usain Bolt couldn‘t even make it on an Australian football team (and they are even way lower than MLS) and he even grew up playing football. Football skills can not be measured like this. 

But if all the potential Usain Bolts are focused on one thing, the ones who excel at it will come to the fore.  Our Usain Bolts have never been focused on soccer before.

Just now, Herr Beast said:

There is no sitting in the wall. Everybody stands all 90 minutes.

Well yeah thats what I meant

Speaking of which the entire stadium stood all 90 minutes tonight. Not sure if this was the first time but the other time I went to a full capacity event lower bowl stood, upper bowl sat.

Does anyone feel like since Arthur has finally gotten a taste of what a Championship feels like, his tolerance for being mediocre will diminish some and heads start rolling at Flowery Branch?

ratesforless likes this

Just now, NOVAFalconFan said:

But if all the potential Usain Bolts are focused on one thing, the ones who excel at it will come to the fore.  Our Usain Bolts have never been focused on soccer before.

Maybe it would produce some players for certain positions. But the most important ones require less athletic skills but mostly skills at the ball. In other words, all those kids that already don‘t have a shot of being any good at basketball (too small) and american football (too slow, too weak) have a shot at being good at football. 

The one thing people need to understand is that it requires 11 QBs to play football. Everyone has to have accuracy and touch with the ball, even the goalie nowadays. 

No.11 and Domed Outter like this

2 minutes ago, ICUH8N said:

Does anyone feel like since Arthur has finally gotten a taste of what a Championship feels like, his tolerance for being mediocre will diminish some and heads start rolling at Flowery Branch?

Not sure. I think the Falcons and the United represent different aspects of Arthur Blank. There seems to be a great premium on revenue with the Falcons and less about bring a loud crowd into the stadium. If he would be all about winning, he would have to start changing his own attitude towards the Falcons.

2 minutes ago, Herr Beast said:

Maybe it would produce some players for certain positions. But the most important ones require less athletic skills but mostly skills at the ball. In other words, all those kids that already don‘t have a shot of being any good at basketball (too small) and american football (too slow, too weak) have a shot at being good at football. 

The one thing people need to understand is that it requires 11 QBs to play football. Everyone has to have accuracy and touch with the ball, even the goalie nowadays. 

I agree with you on touch being critical, but the “too slow and too weak” plan just got us bounced by a country smaller than Alpharetta.  So I’d say we should probably re-think that.

8 minutes ago, ICUH8N said:

I truly hope this would be the case.

Flying Falcon likes this

1 minute ago, NOVAFalconFan said:

I agree with you on touch being critical, but the “too slow and too weak” plan just got us bounced by a country smaller than Alpharetta.  So I’d say we should probably re-think that.

No idea what happened there but just looking at the players, this should not have happened. So their is probably alot of fault with the coach and tactics as well.

But you should keep in mind that in football, very surprising things can happen. Germany went out of the WC for the first time in 70 years in the group stage against South Korea. The tactics were poor, the attitides were poor and that is how - speaking in NFL terms - the Patriots lost against a college team. But in actual american football this could not happen simply based on measurements. The Patriots are way too stronger, faster and taller than any college team. Even with terrible tactics and attitude, they would smoke any college team.

No.11 and AF89 like this

10 minutes ago, NOVAFalconFan said:

But I think they will be in the near future. Soccer has always had a hard time here because we are blessed with our own great sports like Football, and the timing has never been quite right for soccer. Recently however with Anerican soccer teams branding themselves beyond just the MLS and expanding into the international market, this will change. The NFL keeps shooting itself in the foot with public relations, and more and more kids are shying away from it due to concerns about concussions and such. Baseball is struggling as well with the demographics that will be a huge part of US soccer in the near future.

Anyway... this is all a part of a different discussion. This thread is about celebrating the United bringing a championship to the A-T-L!

44 minutes ago, AvidFalconFan said:

Oh by the way for what it's worth

I dislike the Saints just as much as anyone else, but Im sure they are getting a good laugh on Falcon fans celebrating a soccer championship. 

They got a real trophy.

We got a little round ball trophy.

Ugh...:huh:

Its about perspective, Soccer is many many more times popular around the world than American Football. This isn't some rinky dink minor championship. Average crowds for United game are better than Falcons games.

As far As I'm concerned the Falcons, Hawks and Braves can F off and move to other cities. I'd rather have 3 new teams with a fresh start that don't have a history of 50 years of losing.

4 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

I truly hope this would be the case.

Me too! Even though the injury bug hit the Falcons pretty bad this year, the backups aren’t even NFL worthy besides a handful. So I hope Blank tells TD to get it fixed or else.

America's soccer talent pool is also 100 times deeper than say an Iceland  whose competing with much stiffer competition so it's not an obstacle that can't be overcome

Eventually factors such as the decline of American football, shifting demographics (in 20 or 30 years USMNT is going to look a lot more like El Tri) and still a fairly sizeable population may help us close some of that gap

@TheUsualStuff:

I think American soccer will feed mostly on baseball in the future. Like baseball you don't need much to play it as a kid. You can also be very good at it without being super tall or super fast or super strong. And both are mostly outdoor summer games. Soccer is not going to replace baseball but it will take a huge part of the cake sooner or later.

red falcon likes this

8 hours ago, HotLantaFalcon said:

they really put basketball players who miss free throws to shame. Right in front of the basket, uncontested shot ... miss

To be fair the basketball ball goal is way smaller than a soccer goal..... your analogy doesnt really fit.

23 minutes ago, AF89 said:

America's soccer talent pool is also 100 times deeper than say an Iceland  whose competing with much stiffer competition so it's not an obstacle that can't be overcome

Eventually factors such as the decline of American football, shifting demographics (in 20 or 30 years USMNT is going to look a lot more like El Tri) and still a fairly sizeable population may help us close some of that gap

Lol Iceland was literally pulling regular dudes off the street to play for the national team and they still somehow qualified for the WC. Even managed a draw against Argentina.

Just now, JerseyNo12 said:

Lol Iceland was literally pulling regular dudes off the street to play for the national team and they still somehow qualified for the WC. Even managed a draw against Argentina.

But it's not just luck, they put in a ton of time building thier program up from the grassroots and making the most out of every little drop of talent they have. They're alot like a service academy outworking supreior talent with discipline, maybe a few gimmicks and hard work

So whats the Story for United next year? We are losing our coach are we going to lose most of our star players? Any idea and the direction the team will go for next year?

Flying Falcon likes this

6 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

So whats the Story for United next year? We are losing our coach are we going to lose most of our star players? Any idea and the direction the team will go for next year?

Yep, next coach is likely to be Guillermo  Schelotto and Pity Martinez of river plate is set to replace Miggy at the 10 spot. Expect United to be very active in making splashes.

10 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

https://www-nytimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/12/08/sports/mls-cup-atlanta-united-portland-timbers.amp.html

This article answers most of those questions. It's a quick turnaround, but it seems the FO was prepared with a contingency plan to replace the talent they were inevitably going to lose.

Granted, I saw rumors that Almiron was linked to Arsenal, and as a Gunners fan, that would be great. I'd love to see Almiron coached by Unai Emery. Just a change of jersey.