SkerFalcon8710

Atlanta United MLS Cup champions

256 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Celebrating a championship at home was special. Glad I could be there. United dominated and I didn't feel at any point that it would slip away. I was waiting for a 3rd and 4th goal more than a Portland goal. That's how it's done. 

The rain, wind, and cold killed would would have been a crazy party in the streets of downtown. 

Exactly. Not once watching it did I not think ATLUTD had it in the bag, especially after that 2nd goal. I kept waiting for the 3rd and they nearly got it.

6 hours ago, stizz said:

Definitely. Could do without all the guys laying around acting hurt, but those 95 minutes flew by.

Yeah, it's too much that they all act like they got hurt like Alex Smith when they take a dive...stupid.

Yay...

A soccer championship. :lol:

What a boring game. Just can't get into this. I fell asleep watching.

The Falcons fans paid the PSLs to help build the new stadium (well corporations did) and the longtime real fans got priced out. 

Winning a soccer trophy is not even close to being the same as winning a Super Bowl trophy. 

Lets be real here. When and if ever AB wins a Super Bowl he can hold up a real trophy! Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but just ask yourself... did this really satisfy your hunger for a World Championship? :(

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

19 minutes ago, AvidFalconFan said:

Yay...

A soccer championship. :lol:

What a boring game. Just can't get into this. I fell asleep watching.

The Falcons fans paid the PSLs to help build the new stadium (well corporations did) and the longtime real fans got priced out. 

Winning a soccer trophy is not even close to being the same as winning a Super Bowl trophy. 

Lets be real here. When and if ever AB wins a Super Bowl he can hold up a real trophy! Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but just ask yourself... did this really satisfy your hunger for a World Championship? :(

I was so upset when Falcons choked that superbowl that I went outside, picked up a branch and started hitting a tree trying to just let a little of it out. I'll never stop being just absolute hungry for that superbowl no matter how many trophies, Braves, United or even Hawks win.. But I'll also tell you I've hardly slept a wink since last night . My ears are still wringing.. I watched as  Blank fought back tears last night as the weight of the moment and what he accomplished crashed into him. I watched people in the cold sleeting rain  mosh pit under the falcon statue last night in near primal exaltation. 

If it's not your thing fine, we'd love to have you but you do you. Soccer isn't going to be for everybody and a big part of how United dominated these playoffs is they changed style playing a lot uglier from their usual gorgeous South American style and teams just couldn't solve it but it isn't edge of your seat stuff sure.. But your missing out if you just dismiss it,

8 hours ago, 175_Ranger_Falcon said:

That's what United fans look like every time they play in MBS. It took us going to the SB for our "fans" to show up. This goes back to my original point. Our fans only show up when the team is winning. Maybe if we had a legit home field advantage that would lead to an extra win or two.

1.  Atlanta United has been winning for both years of its existence.  If they play like the 1966-2016 Falcons for the next 50 years, let’s see how the fans act then.  

2.  Soccer crowds are different than football crowds anyways - in soccer there are constant chants, songs, etc.  Football crowds are loud when their team is on defense, and louder when something big happens on the field, but only as an organic reaction.

3.  I have been to Falcons games in Charlotte, Dallas, and Washington - there are tons of Falcon fans taking over those stadiums when we play there.  Pastor Troy was in Dallas with a championship belt leading the crowd in “We Ready” on the concourse after the game.

4.  If the team gives us 1 or 2 more wins, then maybe they’ll get a home field advantage - the team owes the fans far more than the fans owe the team.

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

5 minutes ago, NOVAFalconFan said:

2.  Soccer crowds are different than football crowds anyways - in soccer there are constant chants, songs, etc.  Football crowds are loud when their team is on defense, and louder when something big happens on the field, but only as an organic reaction.

Not for nothing but I can't wait till we we put a really good product in this new stadium to see how it can really open up deciblewise. As you say soccer is a very different atmosphere with songs and chants and that often leads to a more entertaining product in the stands but I'll tell from a sheer noise level football is louder. Specifically there are very few moments in soccer that will compare to those noise of a football crowd trying to get behind it's defense in a big game. (Tho tonight was LOUD especially for Josef and Miggy it was very much "football like full jet engine white noise) I was super freaking excited late last summer going to United games imagining how this would translate in football but we have't quite had the chance yet outside the Packer opener last year (and frankly the weight of the superbowl still wieghs heavily on our shoulders)

NOVAFalconFan likes this

Oh by the way for what it's worth

I dislike the Saints just as much as anyone else, but Im sure they are getting a good laugh on Falcon fans celebrating a soccer championship. 

They got a real trophy.

We got a little round ball trophy.

Ugh...:huh:

Looking at it from over the atlantic, I am just impressed at the crowd in the stadium all year. It seems almost impossible that this is the same stadium the Falcons play in. I am sick and tired looking at the half empty stadium filled with mostly lethargic fa... customers. 

I am very happy for ATLUTD because this team is all about the fans. I think many people now get what real football is all about.

1 minute ago, AvidFalconFan said:

Oh by the way for what it's worth

I dislike the Saints just as much as anyone else, but Im sure they are getting a good laugh on Falcon fans celebrating a soccer championship. 

They got a real trophy.

We got a little round ball trophy.

Ugh...:huh:

Why even care what they think?

lol at those who are trying to rain on someone's parade, but fortunately most soccer fans in the U.S. are used to the attitude that it 'aint no good unless it was invented in 'Merica, made in 'Merica, and played by mostly 'Mericans.

95% of the worlds population however disagrees with the notion that soccer is boring. Anyone that understands the game knows the skill it takes to do what these guys do on the pitch outside of just the scoring. They complete passes with their feet at greater distances than Matt can throw a football... and hey, the crowd at the United game tonight didn't even need to have sound pumped in to make it seem like they were loud.

This was so cool. Good for Mr. Blank, but I don't really feel all excited about this because I am so happy for him. No disrespect meant and we certainly thank him for bringing the MLS to town. Whi I am most happy for are those of us like myself and many others here that are fans of all of our Atlanta sports teams. Unfortunately we've been treated to little more than 150 or so collective years of futility.

Just about any sport where your not invested in the the Xs and Os of whats going on and have't been following all season won't immediately capture your attention. As Football fans we've seen some amazing 17-10 kinda games in both the NFL and College but for folks who don't watch alot of football (or all they watch is BIG 12) it's really really boring

@TheUsualStiff: 100% right and I think this is just the beginning. I think American Football is unfortunately on a grave path. The constant rule changes, the business trumps all attitude, an aging fan base. To me it seems that young people are very gracious for an opportunity to be part of something without having to mortgage their house (if they even have one) for tickets and be part of something authentic and honest.

4 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Why even care what they think?

He's just trolling. If he didn't care, his @ss would not even be in here. This is the epitome of Atlanta and Georgia. People can't just enjoy all of the teams. American Football Fans are annoying as h3ll. We think that all of our sports are better. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world. If you win a championship in this, you've accomplished a lot.

17 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

lol at those who are trying to rain on someone's parade, but fortunately most soccer fans in the U.S. are used to the attitude that it 'aint no good unless it was invented in 'Merica, made in 'Merica, and played by mostly 'Mericans.

95% of the worlds population however disagrees with the notion that soccer is boring. 

I’ll tell you what’s wrong with that, our ‘Mericans got knocked out of the last World Cup by ****ing Trinidad and Tobago.  Are you ****ting me?  The ‘Mericans that we sent to represent us got knocked out by a country smaller than Birmingham, Alabama? (That may or may not be true, but it doesn’t matter)  

American soccer sucks because our worst athletes play it, and all Americans know that.  If Lebron and Julio and Mike Vick and Barry Sanders and Allen Iverson grew up playing soccer only, THEN all the rest of the world would grow to hate it as much as we do now.  Because the World Cup would just be seeding to see who lost to America in what order.

ETA- we have better athletes in our track and field ranks than on our national soccer team...it’s laughable.

Edited by NOVAFalconFan

As someone living a 10 minute foot walk away from „The Wall“ in Dortmund, let me tell you that ATLUTD did indeed accomplish something great and it not only winning that championship. People over here in Europe know what happened and know that there is a team in the US that draws 70000+ in attendance every week. ATLUTD did only only put themselfes on the map of world football but probably all of MLS.

1 minute ago, Herr Beast said:

@TheUsualStiff: 100% right and I think this is just the beginning. I think American Football is unfortunately on a grave path. The constant rule changes, the business trumps all attitude, an aging fan base. To me it seems that young people are very gracious for an opportunity to be part of something without having to mortgage their house (if they even have one) for tickets and be part of something authentic and honest.

I think the fortunes of the MLS are ticking upwards and it's because of teams like Atlanta. While still not quite there yet, Atlanta now... Toronto a bit, NYFC (being a part of the Manchester City group), The Red Bulls, The Galaxy... All of these teams are attempting to build a brand beyond just the MLS.

The United especially... they hired a team on international soccer executives to run the team and there first order of business was to lock them up long term. Atlanta wanted to have a strong presence in the CONCACAF Champions league (and qualified).

While still not on par with the Premiere League and such, as they develop stars like Almiron who will move on to the bigger leagues they will grow.

Teams like Atlanta setting attendance records and becoming a brand beyond the MLS will lead the way to the growth.

ratesforless likes this

3 minutes ago, NOVAFalconFan said:

I’ll tell you what’s wrong with that, our ‘Mericans got knocked out of the last World Cup by ****ing Trinidad and Tobago.  Are you ****ting me?  The ‘Mericans that we sent to represent us got knocked out by a country smaller than Birmingham, Alabama? (That may or may not be true, but it doesn’t matther)  

American soccer sucks because our worst athletes play it, and all Americans know that.  If Lebron and Julio and Mike Vick and Barry Sanders grew up playing soccer only, THEN all the rest of the world would grow to hate it as much as we do now.  Because the World Cup would just be seeding to see who lost to America in what order.

Unfortunately American soccer will always have a cap on how good it can be...most likely. And we Americans (generally with one big exception called 99% of college football) don't like things we don't have a chance to be the best at.

All that said, we've never had more American kids playing in Europe, our teenagers just won CONCACAF twice both times beating Mexico and that had never happened before and we're hosting the world cup in 8 years. The future of US soccer looks pretty bright

TheUsualStuff likes this