jlrfalcon

Should We Root Against the United for Sake of the Falcons?

62 posts in this topic

If you are Arthur Blank right now, you are probably in a good mood with the United very near winning a MLS Championship.  The success of the United is also allowing you to ignore the poor performance of your Falcons team.

If the United do win it all, you are likely to be more comfortable with letting the Falcons slide through 2018 and finish as low as 4-12.  You probably will just let Quinn have another year and not even show discomfort with the OC/DC or any specific players.  You also already have a vacancy upcoming with United's coaching so do you even really want to worry about more on the Falcons?  The local media also will probably be asking you more about the United than the forgotten Falcons.

However, if the United end up losing it, especially if by a single goal or such, you are probably going to be in a really disappointed and/or irritated mood.  You will definitely not want to see the Falcons even possibly have a down year in 2019 to exacerbate things.  Perhaps you even question if changes need to be made on the Falcons such as firing/replacing Quinn or making him hire a better OC/DC?  And, the local media will be asking you constantly about both teams.

Of course, even if the United do win this year (and next?), the Falcons will be compared to the them in the long run and Quinn would not survive a losing 2019 even if he got a free pass on this year.

Simply put, would the Falcons be better off if the United won their MLS title or actually see more possible immediate improvements if they lost?

the logic, or lack thereof, of some people is just astounding sometimes. If you're in Atlanta, why would you root AGAINST any Atlanta team? Especially one that's owned by the same guy who owns your favorite NFL team? who is also the best owner this team has ever had BTW

Now I know we have Falcons fans from all over, so maybe they'd be more inclined to argue this, but I can't for the life of me figure out some of the ridiculous reasoning behind some of the posts here

14 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

If you are Arthur Blank right now, you are probably in a good mood with the United very near winning a MLS Championship.  The success of the United is also allowing you to ignore the poor performance of your Falcons team.

If the United do win it all, you are likely to be more comfortable with letting the Falcons slide through 2018 and finish as low as 4-12.  You probably will just let Quinn have another year and not even show discomfort with the OC/DC or any specific players.  You also already have a vacancy upcoming with United's coaching so do you even really want to worry about more on the Falcons?  The local media also will probably be asking you more about the United than the forgotten Falcons.

However, if the United end up losing it, especially if by a single goal or such, you are probably going to be in a really disappointed and/or irritated mood.  You will definitely not want to see the Falcons even possibly have a down year in 2019 to exacerbate things.  Perhaps you even question if changes need to be made on the Falcons such as firing/replacing Quinn or making him hire a better OC/DC?  And, the local media will be asking you constantly about both teams.

Of course, even if the United do win this year (and next?), the Falcons will be compared to the them in the long run and Quinn would not survive a losing 2019 even if he got a free pass on this year.

Simply put, would the Falcons be better off if the United won their MLS title or actually see more possible immediate improvements if they lost?

H3ll naw. 5 Stripes need to win, so these superstitious religious southern fans can stop with the curse talk.

So why will rooting against my own team actually accomplish anything?

I'd prefer to just root for my teams and hope for the best, instead of pretending like my rooting interest has any effect on reality. Hope that helps.

Francis York Morgan likes this

I need something to break this ******* voodoo we got going on here. If that means soccer, so be it. I'm watching right now and have no clue what's going on....but dayum these fans are awesome. 

I heard somewhere that the city of Atlanta has the worst championship ratio in the nation.  We have won one championship in hundreds of professional sports seasons.  

1 hour ago, quotemokc said:

We need someone to break the curse

Bro yall already know me. I root for all Georgia teams. I'm trying to get rest. I'll take it anyway I can get it.

We're up two nil at the 79:22 mark. Let's go. I'm going to the parade if we win.

Good question about Blank's psyche based on the outcome. I think he will demand more from the Falcons regardless.

I don't even like soccer, and haven't lived in GA in 6 years, but I'm rooting like hel for our Atlanta United to pull this out. As with all GA teams, can't relax until clock hits zero (or 90 in this case).