Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tandy

Expect the Packers to Come out Swinging!

16 posts in this topic

Interesting article regarding Joe Philbin firing Winston Moss - I've highlighted a couple of the interesting spots.    

• By Around The NFL staff NFL.com
  • Published: Dec. 5, 2018 at 04:00 p.m.
  • Updated: Dec. 5, 2018 at 04:41 p.m.

Green Bay Packers interim coach Joe Philbin says a critical tweet by Winston Moss on Tuesday wasn't the only reason why the team decided to part ways with longtime assistant coach.

Philbin, with the support of Packers president Mark Murphy and general manager Brian Gutekunst, fired the associate head coach/linebackers coach for reasons that went beyond Moss' tweet, he said.

"It's never about one thing," Philbin said Wednesday, per ESPN's Rob Demovsky. "Again, I think it's important, as I said to the team, we've got to be professional, accountable, respectful and punctual. Those are the four things that we've got to do the next four weeks. And if we do all those things, we'll be in good shape.

"It wasn't about -- again, you're talking to a guy who's never tweeted in his life, doesn't even know what Twitter is -- so again, it's not about a tweet or anything like that. I just think the fit right now isn't where it needs to be."

Moss joined the Packers along with former head coach Mike McCarthy in 2006 from the New Orleans Saints' staff. Moss was a linebackers coach in Green Bay for 13 seasons and McCarthy's assistant head coach for the last 12. A former NFL linebacker of 11 seasons, Moss has spent 31 years in professional football.

Earlier Tuesday, a Twitter account associated with Moss expressed criticism of McCarthy's firing and suggested that Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers' play must be held accountable.

2RDll5HJ_normal.jpg
Ponder this... what Championship teams have are great leadership! Period! It’s not the offensive guru trend, it’s not the safe trend. Find somebody that is going to hold #12 and everybody in this building to a #LombardiStandard! Period! #losingsucks!

A short time later, Moss tweeted he had been fired:

2RDll5HJ_normal.jpg
The Packers have informed me that there letting me go. #thankstwitter!

Rodgers responded to Moss' tweet while speaking with reporters Wednesday.

"There's nobody that holds me more accountable than myself," Rodgers said, per ESPN.com. "But there's always been a great deal of accountability under Mike's program for the last 13 years."

Philbin wouldn't theorize on what point Moss was trying to make with the tweet.

"I think it's important obviously that everybody's on the same page, that we're all moving forward in the same direction," Philbin said. "As you know, Winston's an excellent football coach. I've known him a long time. Respect him; outstanding family man. So it wasn't an easy decision, but I just didn't feel like the fit right now was where it needs to be."

With Murphy and Gutekunst saying Philbin is a legitimate candidate to succeed McCarthy as coach in Green Bay, Philbin has a strong interest in doing everything he can to show what the Packers are fully capable of over the final month of the season.

PokerSteve likes this

See this all the time in all professional sports. **** team fires coach, new coach comes in and players play their hearts out for him. Even the worst teams can win a couple games liked this.

PokerSteve and Tandy like this

1 hour ago, atlbaby said:

Did that coach really say “there” instead of “they’re” on his tweet.

I'm sure he knows better, but in the heat of the moment, people want to get their thoughts out quickly rather than proofread what they wrote. 

No $hit

As crappy as this season has been, I expect us to have a good offensive game against the Packers. I'm not sure about the defense but on O, we can beat these guys. Going into the season they had a good DL but Mohammad Wilkerson and Mike Daniels are on IR and since then their DL and LBs haven't bee that special and they are short handed at DB as well with one of their better corners going on IR. 

Arizona has been the second worst running team in the league (after us) and they ran the ball up the Packers rear ends and had two rushing TDs. Julio owns them and I think we can move the ball on them.

But Rodgers might score 40 on our D

I chalked this one up to a loss weeks ago. Traveling to Lambeau with a broken team? I've seen this story under Smitty and it won't be any different this year. 

I love how this is some great thing for the Packers and it will be the greatest uplifting thing ever.

If this happened on the Falcons, this board would be wanting to fire everyone.

Statick likes this

The Falcons don’t put pressure on QBs consistently and can’t top the run at a competent level so every team we face has a chance. It also doesn’t help when the offensive line is bad. 

Rodgers will continue to throw at Trufant and Alford for big gains as usual.  He knows the weak links in the secondary.  It's not rocket science.

5 hours ago, atlbaby said:

Did that coach really say “there” instead of “they’re” on his tweet.

The Interwebz won da spellz & grammar war. Literacy is dead.