Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
m2Falcons

Herbstreit says CFP bowed to "politics"

29 posts in this topic

Shocked to hear this from him. But to be honest he makes a very compelling argument. Still say you go 8 teams deep with the 5 P5 Conf champs abd 3 at large and much of this goes away. Someone needs to get Notre Dame in a conference. Their schedule is too easily manipulated.

42 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

Shocked to hear this from him. But to be honest he makes a very compelling argument. Still say you go 8 teams deep with the 5 P5 Conf champs abd 3 at large and much of this goes away. Someone needs to get Notre Dame in a conference. Their schedule is too easily manipulated.

the issue is that mullen's explanation on why they picked oklahoma doesn't hold water..  they are supposed to pick the 4 best teams..  when mullen's said they used the conference tie breaker because when they watched both teams (ou and uga) they couldn't tell with the eye test which was the better team.  that is complete horsecrap..  now finebaum said that most of the committee wanted UGA as #3, but there was a individual in the room who threw a fit and due to that they decided to most UGA out and move OU up.  i could guess who they might have been.  

1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

the issue is that mullen's explanation on why they picked oklahoma doesn't hold water..  they are supposed to pick the 4 best teams..  when mullen's said they used the conference tie breaker because when they watched both teams (ou and uga) they couldn't tell with the eye test which was the better team.  that is complete horsecrap..  now finebaum said that most of the committee wanted UGA as #3, but there was a individual in the room who threw a fit and due to that they decided to most UGA out and move OU up.  i could guess who they might have been.  

Who?

2 minutes ago, Carter said:

If someone threw a fit, I’m guessing Georgia Tech AD Stansbury. 

It’s really a crock that this process is not a lot more transparent. The votes at the very least should be public. 

yes that is who it was.  a few guys who were talking about it on a private board I am on said they heard it was stansbury (these are bama guys and not uga guys i know who heard that) and that beamer also objected, but he wasn't as indignant. 

Anyone saying that OU passed the "eye test" is legally blind.  

I couldn't resist that.  :tiphat:

Seriously though, I really don't understand a knowledgeable football fan, coach, player thinking that the OU team is truly on par with the teams at Georgia (Bama or Clemson).  If they played each one ten times then sure OU would likely when one, maybe a second, for a total of 3 to 5 games out of 30 total, but that  doesn't justify them "getting their shot" just because they had a P5 conference championship and one loss (they almost had at least a couple more). ALL it takes to me is just trying to calculate how many possessions the opponent offense would NOT score against that OU defense and extrapolating their opponents likely score from that premise, versus the fact the OU offense matching up against defenses FAR FAR FAR better than what they see all season. We saw it last year in the Rose Bowl. 

OU better than, or even as good as Georgia in 2018....  I don't see it.

2 hours ago, m2Falcons said:

Anyone saying that OU passed the "eye test" is legally blind.  

I couldn't resist that.  :tiphat:

Seriously though, I really don't understand a knowledgeable football fan, coach, player thinking that the OU team is truly on par with the teams at Georgia (Bama or Clemson).  If they played each one ten times then sure OU would likely when one, maybe a second, for a total of 3 to 5 games out of 30 total, but that  doesn't justify them "getting their shot" just because they had a P5 conference championship and one loss (they almost had at least a couple more). ALL it takes to me is just trying to calculate how many possessions the opponent offense would NOT score against that OU defense and extrapolating their opponents likely score from that premise, versus the fact the OU offense matching up against defenses FAR FAR FAR better than what they see all season. We saw it last year in the Rose Bowl. 

OU better than, or even as good as Georgia in 2018....  I don't see it.

OU took us to the wire last year. They hung 45 on our defense in regulation. And their offense is arguably better than last year’s.

Their defense doesn’t have to be good this year. They can get a couple lucky bounces, mistakes by the other team and 1 or 2 big plays and have all the stops they need. The offense is so dynamic it puts pressure on the other teams offense to play perfect which can lead to mistakes. I personally believe Bama, Clemson, and UGA are better teams but it’s hard to make an argument against OU to me. I think of all the teams that were in contention, outside of Bama, OU is the least likely team to get blown out in a game. They may not win but they can give anybody a game this year. 

Billy Ocean likes this

3 hours ago, judas yeast said:

Maybe the eye test was influenced by LSU having rough sex with your team?  I think most of you are blinded by the the fact that Bama didn't beat you as bad as most thought they would.  It seems like many of you don't realize you actually lost the game

No, we are all very much aware that we lost the game.   The narrative was Bama would humiliate the Dawgs because this was BAMA's best team of ALL TIME and they would go all the way to the Natty and not be challenged by anyone.

Meanwhile, Georgia controlled this game for 3 quarters and lost narrowly on a coach's poor decision to do a fake punt - without that, this game likely goes to overtime and we have the better QB.

Like Herbstreit said, the showing in the SECCG should have moved UGA from #4 to #3 - not down from #4 to #5.

Pushing the Dawgs out of the playoff goes back to the ol' AP poll voting like the old days - the CFP committee was supposed to eliminate that.

8 minutes ago, mike teevee said:

The average defense OU played this year was ranked 70th. Only 3 top 50 ranked densfenses: Army (11) Iowa St (34) and TCU (26).

Didn't stop them from lighting us up last year. 

I'm not that upset with UGA being left out because they didn't handle their business and the committee has given teams that won their conference a bump.  I do however 100% agree with Herbstreit that the committee went against the precedent they have been setting and allowed politics to determine who got into the game.   If the committee viewed Alabama as head and tails above everyone except maybe Clemson and held the #1 ranking all season long, then how could any of them watch that game and not consider Georgia one of the top 4 teams in the country?

23 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

it did slow them the h#LL down in the 2nd half.

We shut them down 3rd qtr but they still scored two tds in the 4th. 

Totally agree with Herbie. I said it before the game was played, if GA played us close there is no way OS or OU should go in ahead of them. Not only did GA play us close, they lead most the game and once again it was a last second play to determine the winner.

The committee blinked! They caved under the pressure of putting 2 SEC schools in there again even though it was earned. I think they need to either rewrite what is required to get into playoffs or make it right next time. Doesn't help GA this year, really stinks!

g-dawg likes this

I believe UGA is a top 4 team right now. Unfortunately until the playoffs are expanded and/or some kind of hard criteria is put in place the selection process is going to be flawed.

Edited by Volunteer Falcon
g-dawg likes this

7 hours ago, mike teevee said:

The average defense OU played this year was ranked 70th. Only 3 top 50 ranked densfenses: Army (11) Iowa St (34) and TCU (26).

2018 Overall Defense ranking is #108

- Oklahoma

(in 2017 they finished #68)

ARMY gave OU all they could handle. 28-21 in OT

ARMY.   Held OU to 21 points in 60 minutes.

OKLA ST had them beat and let it get away losing 48-47 after botching an earlier PAT and then going for 2 instead of kicking the PAT to tie at 48.

Texas Tech had them beat and gave it away losing by 5.

Kansas hung 40 on them.    Kansas. Jayhawks.

WVU should have beaten them.

Texas did once. Then managed to play worse in the Conf Championship game and blow that.

Iowa State was the only other team worth mentioning they played; that was a 10 point game.

7 hours ago, UAB_DAWG said:

Didn't stop them from lighting us up last year. 

My point wasn't based on their offense in 2017. Or in 2018 for that matter.  It's their defense that is their Achilles Heel

The OU defense was better in 2017 - ranked #68;   2018 ranking #108.

15 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

My point wasn't based on their offense in 2017. Or in 2018 for that matter.  It's their defense that is their Achilles Heel

The OU defense was better in 2017 - ranked #68;   2018 ranking #108.

Wasn't referring to your comment about their defense when I said that. I completely agree that their defense is garbage.

I was responding to a comment trying to make the argument that OUs offense was only good because they played weak defenses. Everybody made the same assumption last year and they scored a lot of points on a really good UGA defense. 

7 hours ago, richham said:

I'm not that upset with UGA being left out because they didn't handle their business and the committee has given teams that won their conference a bump.  I do however 100% agree with Herbstreit that the committee went against the precedent they have been setting and allowed politics to determine who got into the game.   If the committee viewed Alabama as head and tails above everyone except maybe Clemson and held the #1 ranking all season long, then how could any of them watch that game and not consider Georgia one of the top 4 teams in the country?

Yea, I honestly just don’t have a huge issue with us being left out.  We had a golden opportunity and squandered it and after the beat down to LSU we didn’t have room to lose and still get in.  

Not trying to beat a dead horse but go out and finish off a team that I honestly think you SHOULD HAVE beaten two years in a row versus saying “Well yea, but nobody’s played them tougher than us so...”.

UAB_DAWG likes this

OU has an amazing offense, but you need a complete team to go up against Bama or Clemson. With Oklahoma’s defense you have to figure Bama and Clemson both would score touchdowns on almost every possession. They did in many games against better defenses. If not every single time then let’s be conservative here, we’ll say, what... 9 of the average 12 offensive possessions per game? So Bama and Clemson are likely to have 60+ points against Oklahoma without factoring in clock. There is not an offense in college football that’s scoring 60+ against Bama or Clemson in regulation. 

On the flip we will look at Bama and Clemson featuring top ranked defenses with many Sunday players on the field. If we take the same average of 12 offensive possessions and apply it here, how many times would a reasonable person expect OU to score on either defense? Liberally I would give them 6 or 7 times. Conservatively I’d put it at 4 or 5 and some of those will be field goals.

If that analysis is something reasonable people can agree with then a reasonable expectation for OU vs Bama would be a Bama blowout win at something like 60-27 after figuring Bama’s kicker will miss a few extra points.

m2Falcons likes this

8 hours ago, Carter said:

OU has an amazing offense, but you need a complete team to go up against Bama or Clemson. With Oklahoma’s defense you have to figure Bama and Clemson both would score touchdowns on almost every possession. They did in many games against better defenses. If not every single time then let’s be conservative here, we’ll say, what... 9 of the average 12 offensive possessions per game? So Bama and Clemson are likely to have 60+ points against Oklahoma without factoring in clock. There is not an offense in college football that’s scoring 60+ against Bama or Clemson in regulation. 

On the flip we will look at Bama and Clemson featuring top ranked defenses with many Sunday players on the field. If we take the same average of 12 offensive possessions and apply it here, how many times would a reasonable person expect OU to score on either defense? Liberally I would give them 6 or 7 times. Conservatively I’d put it at 4 or 5 and some of those will be field goals.

If that analysis is something reasonable people can agree with then a reasonable expectation for OU vs Bama would be a Bama blowout win at something like 60-27 after figuring Bama’s kicker will miss a few extra points.

Exactly. Well said.

Put another way...  ALL it takes to me is just trying to calculate how many possessions the opponent offense would NOT score against that OU defense and extrapolating their opponents likely score from that premise, versus the fact the OU offense matching up against defenses FAR FAR FAR better than what they see all season.

The fact Texas didn't score more was there downfall and I watched the game early on; Texas could, and should have had a big early lead but killed themselves, I quit watching because both teams were playing so poorly.

Carter likes this

Yea, Georgia is probably a top 4 team but it doesn't really matter. Shouldn't have lost to LSU. Just win the games you're supposed to win and you're in.