Jump to content

Would we be better off long term if we traded Julio Jones after 2019?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Falcons can get a good WR in the 2nd or later rounds like Saints did with Michael Thomas and Steelers did with JuJu to pair with Calvin then I would seriously consider trading Julio. Julio is around the age Roddy was when the Falcons drafted him as the eventual replacement. Roddy had a couple more good seasons then dropped off a lot. But that's probably not gonna happen because AB said Julio is a Falcon for life.

Edited by MilleniumFalcon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2018 at 1:36 AM, robertap said:

This is why we will probably not win a superbowl under this management.  They're fans, not football people.  

Belichick told TD not to blow his wad on Julio.  TD didn't listen.  Since Julio was drafted, the Patriots have been to FOUR Superbowls and won two of them.  We lost our only Superbowl to Belichick, because our line/run game wasn't capable of eating clock.

Belichick is a smart man.  He knows how to win in the modern NFL.  TD was a moron for not listening to him, and we have paid the price for TD and Arthur Blank thinking like fans rather than smart football people.

WR's do not win Superbowls.  They only touch the ball a handful of plays per game.  They're simply not worth dropping big bucks on.  Your linemen and QB are vital to every play.  That's where you need to invest on offense.

How many WR's has Belichick taken for the Patriots in the first round?  ZERO.  Not a freaking one.  EVER.  TD has taken two.  <sigh>  Belichick did draft a couple of TE's back in the early 2000's, but TE's are significant to both the run game and the passing game.  Belichick builds from the inside out.  The lines are top priority.  WR's are shiny hood ornaments.  Belichick let Welker walk when he was due a big payday, and the Patriots have been in two Superbowls since.

Top WR's are not a key ingredient to winning in the NFL.  Until the front office figures that out, and they stop wasting money/draft picks on WR's, we're not winning the big game.  We needed a DT, and we needed OL this past draft...  We got a WR and a CB.  Our management is dumb. 

Matt Ryan has been bailing their butts out.  Highest passer rating QB to lose a Superbowl.  AND HE GOT US THERE with one of the best all time performances of a QB in the playoffs.  DQ, TD, and the rest have just been riding his coat tails.  If Blank wasn't such a fanboi, maybe he'd realize this and get Ryan a coaching staff and front office that knew what they were doing rather than being highly paid cheerleaders.

Careful with all those facts..  you're gonna hurt our highlight watching fanbase's feelings... The funniest quote to me , is people who think Julio is the only WR that commands double teams, never heard so much BS in my life. One-day this fan base is gonna learn the offenses win every year and win SB's with a Julio.

Edited by THEHEADCOACH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

They also have Brady, and we don't

You don't need Brady. You need a good NFL QB with time to throw and WRs who can catch. That's all New England has had all these year. We could have traded Ryan for Brady back in 2008. The Patriots will still be doing the same thing and we would have still been doing the same thing. Only difference is, it would have been Ryan embarrassing us in the 2016 super bowl. It's all about the system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2018 at 5:11 AM, stizz said:

Arguably the biggest star the city has had and a top 10 NFL player year in and year out and our fans want to get rid of him on the hopes that additional draft picks may work out.

It's not hoping that additional draft picks work out...  It's understanding that our ability to make moves which will improve this team are hampered by the fact that we have one of the highest paid QB's, one of the highest paid RB's, and one of the highest paid WR's.  Of those three players, there's one who can be traded.  It's possible that he could be traded for a very high value considering his ability.

The trade would give us either players, or draft picks, as well as freeing up 15-20 million a year that he would be counting against the cap.  We could use those assets to upgrade both the offensive and defensive lines.  Potentially, that's 3-5 more upgrades at positions that we have needs in.  And the thing is, we're already well stacked at WR, even without Julio.  Ridley steps in immediately to replace Julio.  Sanu stays.  Hardy or Hill are solid, and could use more touches, and we have Gage and Gray waiting in the wings.

We have a boatload of talent at WR, and a breached levy at offensive line.  We cannot fix this team with the assets that we are currently expecting to have available in the off-season.  Trade Julio, and maybe we can turn things around.  Keep Julio, and expect to keep things as they are.

I'm going to reference the Hershell Walker trade that sent Dallas to three Superbowls.  Julio is our Hershell Walker.  We could keep him around to appease the fans, or we could trade him and have a better shot at winning some Superbowls.  Now, let's be real...  I don't think that this front office is good enough to acquire the talent to win three Superbowls in such a trade.  However, I trust them even less to use what we currently have to get us there.  I'd sooner have them take a shot at fixing the OL and DL rather than hoping that Ryan, Jones, and Freeman can overcome the OL turnstile and, bowling pin defense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Rgunzz said:

Weee we have a star and no super bowl! Man you are spot on!!! 

 

 

 

 

Haha this guy 

Tell me genius, where does our offense come from if we trade Julio? We have no running game and an incompetent coordinator.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2018 at 9:03 PM, thanat0s said:

Yes. The money and picks that trading him would bring would allow us to fill multiple needs. An OL full of young,  pro bowl talent is what we need more than one aging, and frankly overrated, receiver. 

I am one of the rare fans like you who believes JJ is slightly overrated. I have never been into shiny hood ornaments anyway when the engine itself is shot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2018 at 0:18 AM, Atl Falcon said:

I agree we should trade JJ after the season and get what we can while he still has value. But AB won’t let that happen and we’ll end up paying him more than he’s worth as he starts to descend in performance. He prolly got another good yr or two but then he’ll be overpaid and cause problems with the salary cap. AB and TD aren’t R Craft and BB....so just live with it

Ah yep. . . Our FO is status quo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2018 at 1:36 AM, robertap said:

This is why we will probably not win a superbowl under this management.  They're fans, not football people.  

Belichick told TD not to blow his wad on Julio.  TD didn't listen.  Since Julio was drafted, the Patriots have been to FOUR Superbowls and won two of them.  We lost our only Superbowl to Belichick, because our line/run game wasn't capable of eating clock.

Belichick is a smart man.  He knows how to win in the modern NFL.  TD was a moron for not listening to him, and we have paid the price for TD and Arthur Blank thinking like fans rather than smart football people.

WR's do not win Superbowls.  They only touch the ball a handful of plays per game.  They're simply not worth dropping big bucks on.  Your linemen and QB are vital to every play.  That's where you need to invest on offense.

How many WR's has Belichick taken for the Patriots in the first round?  ZERO.  Not a freaking one.  EVER.  TD has taken two.  <sigh>  Belichick did draft a couple of TE's back in the early 2000's, but TE's are significant to both the run game and the passing game.  Belichick builds from the inside out.  The lines are top priority.  WR's are shiny hood ornaments.  Belichick let Welker walk when he was due a big payday, and the Patriots have been in two Superbowls since.

Top WR's are not a key ingredient to winning in the NFL.  Until the front office figures that out, and they stop wasting money/draft picks on WR's, we're not winning the big game.  We needed a DT, and we needed OL this past draft...  We got a WR and a CB.  Our management is dumb. 

Matt Ryan has been bailing their butts out.  Highest passer rating QB to lose a Superbowl.  AND HE GOT US THERE with one of the best all time performances of a QB in the playoffs.  DQ, TD, and the rest have just been riding his coat tails.  If Blank wasn't such a fanboi, maybe he'd realize this and get Ryan a coaching staff and front office that knew what they were doing rather than being highly paid cheerleaders.

Image result for bravo gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2018 at 3:06 AM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I thought we should have traded him before this season when he started all the hold out talk. Just think if we had an additional first rounder, fourth rounder and $8M more in cap space coming into next year. That's the DT, OT and OG we're missing.

QFT . . . Someone mentioned it earlier, our FO conducts business like fans. I didn't want Julio for what it cost us to get him anyway. If an FO knows how to draft, why do you need to mortgage the future (and present) for a player projected to go in the top 10? If you need a top 10 pick every draft or every other draft, you don't have an eye for talent and shouldn't be drafting. 

We will go back and forth about this as fans about JJ, but not one fan can say the Atlanta Falcons have won a SB. In the midst of the back and forth, the Falcons still remain ringless. Maybe it's time to pull away from the status quo because it sho' aint worked to date. 

The Eagles won a SB without a JJ.

Don't even get me started on the Patriots. None of their SB titles came with a JJ. In fact, the seasons they had Randy Moss, including the HoF, record-breaking season he had, they made it to the SB. . . .  and loss. In that SB, we saw defense prevail and take down the oh-so-mighty 18-0 historic offensive juggernaut Patriots best team ever dynasty. Same thing in 2011.

The Saints won a SB without a JJ.

The Ravens won a SB without a JJ. The 49ers knocked on the door without a JJ with Kaepernick as the QB, the same ones saying CK is a poor QB. What does that say about the Falcons, then?

The Steelers and Packers have won SBs without top 3 WRs.

Like I said, what good is a brand new shiny Stingray but the engine in it is shot. Build from the inside, starting with the trenches on both sides of the ball and get some good LBs. After that, get a big bruising durable RB  and go form there.

Edited by Halcon-1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, stizz said:

Tell me genius, where does our offense come from if we trade Julio? We have no running game and an incompetent coordinator.

 

Dude it is pointless to try to discuss football with you if you think 1 wide receiver is that important.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, FalconinPA said:

They also have Brady, and we don't

If Ryan could a better oline it would give him a little more time to throw and a bigger running back I know we would be a better team! Think back to the Michel Turner days. The problem then was defense. We just need to quit being so stuck on 1 player. In the NFL you need a  good QB, awesome Dline, Oline and a running back those are the main key things to football!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2018 at 8:18 PM, SpongeDad said:

AB said Julio is a Falcon for life. Julio couldn't leave if he wanted to. He's in too deep. 

1iJqv.jpg

I don't agree. It's a business and if the right offer comes around, it will happen. After a season like this, I would think all cards are on the table, if not, it should be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2018 at 9:19 PM, Rgunzz said:

What good is julio to the falcons really? If you have a line that gives Ryan time to throw any NFL receiver should be able to get open without needing a 80 million dollar contract! Kinda like Brady has always done because they put picks in the most important part the oline. Running backs and receivers should be picked up in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Never waste the money nor picks on those positions!

Finally someone gets it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2018 at 3:06 AM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I thought we should have traded him before this season when he started all the hold out talk. Just think if we had an additional first rounder, fourth rounder and $8M more in cap space coming into next year. That's the DT, OT and OG we're missing.

Touche !!!   correctamundo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2018 at 3:06 AM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I thought we should have traded him before this season when he started all the hold out talk. Just think if we had an additional first rounder, fourth rounder and $8M more in cap space coming into next year. That's the DT, OT and OG we're missing.

Touche !!!   correctamundo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rgunzz said:

If Ryan could a better oline it would give him a little more time to throw and a bigger running back I know we would be a better team! Think back to the Michel Turner days. The problem then was defense. We just need to quit being so stuck on 1 player. In the NFL you need a  good QB, awesome Dline, Oline and a running back those are the main key things to football!

agreed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

You don't need Brady. You need a good NFL QB with time to throw and WRs who can catch. That's all New England has had all these year. We could have traded Ryan for Brady back in 2008. The Patriots will still be doing the same thing and we would have still been doing the same thing. Only difference is, it would have been Ryan embarrassing us in the 2016 super bowl. It's all about the system.

Fact or opinion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...