Falcons Fan MVP

Would we be better off long term if we traded Julio Jones after 2019?

63 posts in this topic

Julio Jones contract expires after the 2020 season. I know Julio is a beast but he may only have 2-3 more good years left. We have serious issues with our O line and D line. What good is having a talent like Julio Jones when Matt Ryan doesn't even have time to throw to him. If we traded Julio after the 2019 season we could probably get some very good linemen offense and defense in return. If we build a good O line for Matt Ryan he may last another 10 years. If we don't his career may end sooner. Calvin Ridley would have to turn out to be an excellent wide receiver for this plan to work. I'm not sure if we can afford to pay both Matt and Julio and not have a lot of holes. It's something worth considering. What do you guys think?

Yes. The money and picks that trading him would bring would allow us to fill multiple needs. An OL full of young,  pro bowl talent is what we need more than one aging, and frankly overrated, receiver. 

vitaman, sdogg, Atl Falcon and 5 others like this

What good is julio to the falcons really? If you have a line that gives Ryan time to throw any NFL receiver should be able to get open without needing a 80 million dollar contract! Kinda like Brady has always done because they put picks in the most important part the oline. Running backs and receivers should be picked up in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Never waste the money nor picks on those positions!

vitaman and sdogg like this

1 hour ago, Rgunzz said:

What good is julio to the falcons really? If you have a line that gives Ryan time to throw any NFL receiver should be able to get open without needing a 80 million dollar contract! Kinda like Brady has always done because they put picks in the most important part the oline. Running backs and receivers should be picked up in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Never waste the money nor picks on those positions!

I am so glad you are making any decisions in the front office

UK13 likes this

I agree we should trade JJ after the season and get what we can while he still has value. But AB won’t let that happen and we’ll end up paying him more than he’s worth as he starts to descend in performance. He prolly got another good yr or two but then he’ll be overpaid and cause problems with the salary cap. AB and TD aren’t R Craft and BB....so just live with it

Edited by Atl Falcon
vitaman, Halcon-1 and TheJudge like this

We would be,but if you don't want to win now that's the only reason you do it.

If we did do it I'd off load Ryan aswell and pull the whole thing apart and start again.

4 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Zero chance. You don't trade your superstars. You think our crowds are pathetic now; just watch if Julio gets traded.

This is why we will probably not win a superbowl under this management.  They're fans, not football people.  

Belichick told TD not to blow his wad on Julio.  TD didn't listen.  Since Julio was drafted, the Patriots have been to FOUR Superbowls and won two of them.  We lost our only Superbowl to Belichick, because our line/run game wasn't capable of eating clock.

Belichick is a smart man.  He knows how to win in the modern NFL.  TD was a moron for not listening to him, and we have paid the price for TD and Arthur Blank thinking like fans rather than smart football people.

WR's do not win Superbowls.  They only touch the ball a handful of plays per game.  They're simply not worth dropping big bucks on.  Your linemen and QB are vital to every play.  That's where you need to invest on offense.

How many WR's has Belichick taken for the Patriots in the first round?  ZERO.  Not a freaking one.  EVER.  TD has taken two.  <sigh>  Belichick did draft a couple of TE's back in the early 2000's, but TE's are significant to both the run game and the passing game.  Belichick builds from the inside out.  The lines are top priority.  WR's are shiny hood ornaments.  Belichick let Welker walk when he was due a big payday, and the Patriots have been in two Superbowls since.

Top WR's are not a key ingredient to winning in the NFL.  Until the front office figures that out, and they stop wasting money/draft picks on WR's, we're not winning the big game.  We needed a DT, and we needed OL this past draft...  We got a WR and a CB.  Our management is dumb. 

Matt Ryan has been bailing their butts out.  Highest passer rating QB to lose a Superbowl.  AND HE GOT US THERE with one of the best all time performances of a QB in the playoffs.  DQ, TD, and the rest have just been riding his coat tails.  If Blank wasn't such a fanboi, maybe he'd realize this and get Ryan a coaching staff and front office that knew what they were doing rather than being highly paid cheerleaders.

GATXBOI, Chunkey9, mqg96 and 6 others like this

14 minutes ago, robertap said:

Matt Ryan has been bailing their butts out.  Highest passer rating QB to lose a Superbowl.  AND HE GOT US THERE with one of the best all time performances of a QB in the playoffs. 

Football isn't like boxing or tennis or any sport where it's just one on one match up.

It's not even like other team sports where players play both offense and defense. That's why I've never liked QB having win and loss record. It's distorts the way people look at the sport.

Matt throws the ball but who catches it? A receiver can catch a 5 yard pass, break 2 or 3 tackles and race 70 yards for the score. The QB is credited with a 75 yard TD pass

In the Superbowl Julio made an incredible catch late in the game on the sideline to put the Falcons in field goal range. Who else on the team makes that catch?

2 minutes ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

Football isn't like boxing or tennis or any sport where it's just one on one match up.

It's not even like other team sports where players play both offense and defense. That's why I've never liked QB having win and loss record. It's distorts the way people look at the sport.

Matt throws the ball but who catches it? A receiver can catch a 5 yard pass, break 2 or 3 tackles and race 70 yards for the score. The QB is credited with a 75 yard TD pass

In the Superbowl Julio made an incredible catch late in the game on the sideline to put the Falcons in field goal range. Who else on the team makes that catch?

First, we lost that game.  Julio's great catch did not win us the game.  Again, we lost because the TEAM wasn't capable of playing defense, or running the ball with consistency.

Second, I agree with you that wins and losses are not a QB stat.  This year should be pretty evident that Matt was balling, but we were losing.  At this point, the team is just a train wreck.

Next, Ryan was having success before Julio got here.  Ryan made HARRY FREAKING DOUGLAS a 1000 yard receiver.  He's had success with Julio out of the lineup, and the Falcons win more games when Julio doesn't get very good stats.  Julio doesn't win us games.  He's a shiny hood ornament.

I'm not denying Julio's talent.  I'm saying that the mindset that led to Julio being drafted, paid top money a couple of years ago, and being paid to end his holdout are not conducive to winning in the modern NFL.  We place way too much value on a player that doesn't really influence the outcome of games.  (Just like Megatron, TO, and many other great WR's that haven't won Superbowls)

My point about Ryan is that he has been the one that has been carrying this team for the past 11 years.  He has performed regardless of who he's had coaching, who he's had to throw to, etc.  As long as he's been here, he has not had the same kind of help as Brady, Roethlisberger, and Brees.  His coaches have been horrible game day decision makers.  His offensive lines have been mediocre to horrible.  His defenses have been in the bottom half of the league.  But he still puts up good numbers every year, and has been fantastic in the playoffs.

GATXBOI and Rgunzz like this

Back to my point, it takes offense, defense, special teams and coaching to win games. No one player does it all.

Who else was on the team besides Harry? Was there a great tight end? Was there a running game? I commend Ryan for being durable. That's one of his most impressive stat. I believe we're both saying that no shiny hood ornament whether it's Ryan or Julio can do it alone.

If you want to say that the catch Julio is not important because the game was lost, why bring up Ryan's stat in the Superbowl? The game was lost.

Edited by FinalScore2.0

39 minutes ago, robertap said:

Next, Ryan was having success before Julio got here. 

Ryan never "won" a playoff game until Julio arrived.

This is the problem with this city ,ownership, and the front office WE ACCEPT MEDIOCRACY & I think sometimes we forget it's a business + we want to win championships. I understand star skill players fill seats BUT having hogs in the trenches WIN Super Bowls (Seahawks, Broncos, Pats & Eagles) WE LOVE JULIO BUT LETS FACE IT WE HAVE PEAKED WITH JULIO & HIS CONTRACT. Just look at the example of what the Saints did with Jimmy Graham once they saw that they peaked with him and his contract. they traded him to Seattle or an All-Pro offensive guard and a draft pick. NOW LOOK AT WHERE THEY STAND, they have three Pro Bowl offensive lineman now and a bunch of draft pics that are really paying off for them. I THINK WE SHOULD DO THE SAME. if we can get an All-Pro offensive guard & a 2nd rounder & maybe a 4th for Julio this off season THAT WOULD B GREAT. let's not forget Matt Ryan threw for over 4000 yards that season when Julio & Roddy went down early. if we were to sure up the offensive line MATT BALLS OUT EVEB MORE EVERY YEAR . if we make this trade we SURE UP 1 OG spot then we can draft for the other OG spot & on DEFENSE we can use some of that money we freed up from Julio's contract to sign an edge rusher like Brandon Graham, DeMarcus Lawrence (which is a long shot) or Trey Flowers

robertap likes this

12 minutes ago, Vandy said:

How many different ways can you clowns start these dumb “Ponder Trading Julio” threads? 

Arguably the biggest star the city has had and a top 10 NFL player year in and year out and our fans want to get rid of him on the hopes that additional draft picks may work out.

Vandy likes this

I don’t get the whole trade Julio thing. Julio is a transcendent talent that makes the Falcons unique. I understand the idea of wanting to upgrade other areas but there is no guarantee that any of the draft picks you’d get for Julio would become starters in the league much less a transcendent player. 

9 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Julio Jones contract expires after the 2020 season. I know Julio is a beast but he may only have 2-3 more good years left. We have serious issues with our O line and D line. What good is having a talent like Julio Jones when Matt Ryan doesn't even have time to throw to him. If we traded Julio after the 2019 season we could probably get some very good linemen offense and defense in return. If we build a good O line for Matt Ryan he may last another 10 years. If we don't his career may end sooner. Calvin Ridley would have to turn out to be an excellent wide receiver for this plan to work. I'm not sure if we can afford to pay both Matt and Julio and not have a lot of holes. It's something worth considering. What do you guys think?

It might be the right move strategically, but marketing and team morale will veto such a move.

On 12/5/2018 at 10:21 PM, FalconinPA said:

I am so glad you are making any decisions in the front office

I know how can any team make it with out a over paid receiver? Umm New England because they put money into the QB and make sure he has a good online! They have Gronk sometimes and receivers that are 5’10 so yeah!