atlbaby

Former coach Gary Kubiak might return to sideline next year as a OC

59 posts in this topic

Do the Falcons reach out if Sark doesn't produce down the stretch?

Quinn already said everybody will be evaluated after the season to include the coaches

Former coach Gary Kubiak might return to sideline next year

By Ian Rapoport

NFL Network Insider

November 18, 2018

Former NFL head coach Gary Kubiak might find himself back on the sidelines next season, but not as a head coach.

Sources say several potential head-coaching candidates view Kubiak as a viable possibility for an offensive coordinator post, an opportunity the Broncos do believe he'll consider.

Kubiak has served for the last two years as a senior personnel adviser with the Broncos, and sources say the team has nothing but respect for the job Kubiak has done for the organization.

They understand this development and believe this is something Kubiak will look into if offered anything.

Kubiak would be considered one of the top coordinators available, a job he hasn't held since 2014 with the Ravens. It was his only year from 2006 to 2016 that Kubiak wasn't a head coach. He won a Super Bowl with Denver after a wild 2015 season.

But health issues took him from the sidelines to the front office, and it's why he likely won't be a head coach again. But he's served as a key voice for general manager John Elway and coach Vance Joseph in Denver. Kubiak is often on the field for practice and has stayed very connected.

Kubiak is a name to watch as the coaching carousel spins this offseason.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000988871/article/former-coach-gary-kubiak-might-return-to-sideline-next-year

Cole World likes this

I can’t remember, was he a big proponent of Zone blocking scheme similar to ours ?

i know that could line almost anybody up at RB and get yards there for awhile. 

1 minute ago, dothan_birdman said:

I can’t remember, was he a big proponent of Zone blocking scheme similar to ours ?

Our zone blocking is similar to Kubiak's that is similar to Shanahan's that was born from Alex Gibbs' take on it. Gibbs was once our offensive line coach, so take that for what it's worth. 

He would be the perfect fit if we move on from Sark. Don't get me wrong, for the most part, I don't blame Sark for our short comings recently as the offensive line has been atrocious, but he's made decisions that he shouldn't make knowing he has an atrocious offensive line. 

I don't blame Sark as much as I blame our OL. That said? Kubiak is a match made in heaven. He would take this offense to the next level. And he's got the head coaching experience that might make him a valuable mentor for Quinn. And he can enforce the discipline that Shanny was notorious for - our guys will get it right.

This partnership is very likely to happen tbh. The most likely scenario I can imagine. It works on so many levels.

If we move on from Sark, this is a good choice.

What bothered me the most about Sark's hiring is a defensive minded guy fairly early in his HC career, gave the OC job to a college guy with zero NFL coordinator experience.

If we move on from him (not a sure thing) then this is a good choice. Experienced in this league and I think his offensive style is similar enough to make the transition pretty smooth. I think he's good enough to utilize a lot of our existing elements as he implements his own.

47 minutes ago, Sandy5prings said:

I doubt it man. He almost died because of stress related complications. It doesn't sound like he wants this ****.

Being an OC is stressful but much less so than an NFL HC. 

Almost died from stress....guess that leaves us out of the running even if not hc.

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I don't blame Sark as much as I blame our OL. That said? Kubiak is a match made in heaven. He would take this offense to the next level. And he's got the head coaching experience that might make him a valuable mentor for Quinn. And he can enforce the discipline that Shanny was notorious for - our guys will get it right.

This partnership is very likely to happen tbh. The most likely scenario I can imagine. It works on so many levels.

I agree this is the perfect person to come in and put this offense back on championship track. I just hope some feelers have already gone out to him from somebody connected with the Falcons.

32 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

I agree this is the perfect person to come in and put this offense back on championship track. I just hope some feelers have already gone out to him from somebody connected with the Falcons.

While he's doing the mentor thing, we could also put him in charge of deciding what to do on coin tosses, when to call timeouts, and when to throw a challenge flag. We really need dedicated people not named Quinn for those things.

1 hour ago, Sandy5prings said:

I'd eat burnt tire for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a week if we can get Kubiak.

Bias ply or radial? 

Yeah...didn't think that one through, did ya? 

Anna Kendrick Boom GIF by Pitch Perfect - Find & Share on ...

4 hours ago, FalconinPA said:

I would like to see him come her, but you know we hang on the most coaches a year or two too long. Speaking of that,why is Armstrong still here?

ArmStrong has been here as long as Matt Ryan. He actually was a coach here for the Falcons around 1996. A defensive backs coach I believe.

12 hours ago, dothan_birdman said:

Kubiak runs a zone blocking scheme.  The BIG difference with his scheme is he will pull a guard or tackle USUALLY from the opposite side of the play into the hole and trap the nearest defender in the hole.  Its a work of art and VERY HARD to stop...

Here is a example when he was with the Ravens.  The left guard is gonna pull outside into the 9 hole and trap the linebacker who tries to step into that hole. In this example since he is running wide he has to use the guard on THAT side of the play:

Pinpull1.png

Edited by slickgadawg