Falconer89

How Long Did It Take You to Get Over SB 51?

133 posts in this topic

what has long bothered me far more than losing was how we've responded as a team since then.   with the SAME players that completely dominated the pats we've sucked ever since!!!  I've always blamed shanahan for being a complete dishonorable coward for not delaying looking for another coaching gig another year (he could have gotten a diff head coaching position later) and not deciding to return, actually win the next super bowl in the manner of Rocky 2, then ride off into the sunset.

recently however someone told me that shanahan actually accepted the position in san fran before the super bowl (I'd forgotten that), so I guess I can't blame him ... so virtually the same players and the only difference being a new off coordinator, and here we sit ready for a top 5 draft pick!

On 12/12/2018 at 4:47 AM, 10_bartkowski said:

drive 3,wasnt even a drive, clock kept stopping.

2nd and 1 at NE 32 = Tevin Coleman run for -1 yard. Holding against Jake Matthews (ATL).

2nd and 11 at NE 42 = Matt Ryan pass for Austin Hooper incomplete.

3rd and 11 at NE 42 = Matt Ryan sacked for -9 yards.

4th and 20 at ATL 49 = Delay of Game against Falcons.

they kept giving up the ball. 29 plays that took no time off the clock. 10 times an entire half is still suspect with a lead that huge.

they should run it 10 times the first 15 plays at worst. the fact is you're excusing another improbable dramatic finish.

the team with the huge lead blows it, the next year the team with a back up wins it all. its television, its artificial drama. real life isnt that exciting. yet every time you turn on your tv..magic happens! Johnny QB saves the day or loses in dramatic fashion.

time of possession- Pats ,40:31

Falcons 23:27

and you're just showing offense. All Brady can do is pass in the second half.his only option. Like I said,the defense just laid down.

Falcons- I understand in the first half they didnt need to hold the ball, they were scoring. The second half should have been 15 minutes a piece at worst , or rather, that at end of game, Falcons should have held ball for 30:00 min. for entire game total.

your list doesnt show when and why or how, they ran out of bounds or clock stops. everything worked magically for the Pats, for the "unbelievable" come back.

40 seconds times 10 plays =400 Seconds = 6.6666 Minutes = 6 Minutes and 40 Seconds.

its all because of tv. You cant have a game look like its 1977 and run to actually win because your lead is too good. They had to give up the ball because thats more exciting for tv/fans. If the Falcons were really trying to win, that second half would have been as boring as a game from 1925.

If it weren't for the two critical holding penalties by Jake Matthews that wiped out the chance to keep drives alive and therefore take more time off the clock the Falcons would have won. The Patriots only tied it with 40 some odd seconds left in the game. That's 1 play. But if you want to continue to believe that the game was rigged then that's your right. I personally don't understand why someone who thinks the game is rigged continues to invest their time in it but that's just me.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

If it weren't for the two critical holding penalties by Jake Matthews that wiped out the chance to keep drives alive and therefore take more time off the clock the Falcons would have won. The Patriots only tied it with 40 some odd seconds left in the game. That's 1 play. But if you want to continue to believe that the game was rigged then that's your right. I personally don't understand why someone who thinks the game is rigged continues to invest their time in it but that's just me.

The game was rigged against coaches with no brains.  Also, it's baffling that they let NE convert so many 2-pt conversions.  Stopping one would have saved the game, not to mention just running the clock (and the play clock!) with a lead.  But our spineless coach refused to overrule an OC that was showing off before taking a HC job in SF.  1% chance of blowing a 25-point Superbowl lead, but these are the Falcons!

1 minute ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

The game was rigged against coaches with no brains.  Also, it's baffling that they let NE convert so many 2-pt conversions.  Stopping one would have saved the game, not to mention just running the clock (and the play clock!) with a lead.  But our spineless coach refused to overrule an OC that was showing off before taking a HC job in SF.  1% chance of blowing a 25-point lead, but these are the Falcons!

I think you need to go back and look at the PBP from the second half that I posted. It's not that the Falcons didn't want to run the ball some as much as penalties and long yardage situations forced their hand into passing more to try to gain first downs in order to hang onto the ball.

On 12/11/2018 at 3:09 PM, 4LoveoftheGame said:

Unfortunately I don't think I will ever get over it, at least not until after a Superbowl Win. Watching and following this team since the 80's with so many disappointing seasons, then the great 1998 Season which I got over that loss, but SB51 I know that feeling of being Superbowl Champs for just a moment, only for it to be taken away from us.

That amazing pass Ryan made to an amazing catch from Julio that put our Falcons in field goal range would have gone down in history as one of the greatest moments in Superbowl history and would of been played over and over again if we had just kicked the field goal (same as the amazing Seahawks catch that should of won the SB against the Patriots, only to be undone by the dumb play call and Int by Russell Wilson). Crazy that Dan Quinn was on the losing side of both those dumb losses, though the first one was not his fault.

Ya. I know. Ouch. 

Will never get over that. Still have dreams of being in that huddle on the Patriot 22 yd line after Julios great catch. Less than 4 min to go...up by 8. 

For the love of G-d call time out and lets figure this out. We cannot go backwards. Let our ST and D win this for us. 

18 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

those penalties wouldnt have done crap if they had run the ball more. but regardless. but what you dont recognize when typing that example is: its all planned.

thats how they laid down