Falconer89

How Long Did It Take You to Get Over SB 51?

133 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Falconer89 said:

Had we been blown out from the start, or lost in a back and forth game, would it have been easier to get over?

Yes. Unequivocally yes. Especially if we'd been blown out from the start. I'd have been really angry and still upset, given how dominant we had looked in the NFC Championship, but it would have been much easier.

Losing THAT way - having an essentially sure thing, a 99% probability, a pick-six that left Brady with his head literally in the grass, a "We-have-taken-down-the-dynasty-and-are-about-to-hold-the-Lombardi" ripped away, piece by piece, and being powerless as a fan to stop what you saw happening when just a few minutes before you'd been CERTAIN it was yours. It was gut-wrenching.

It was a football game. "Real life" is more important. But in my SPORTS FAN life, I have never been in more pain, shock, and utter disbelief than that night, and I highly doubt I ever will be. I think I slept for all of 15 minutes, and not until about 5:45 am. I alternated between these boards and staring at my ceiling (and thinking about the hordes of Pats fans I was going to have to face the next day and continue to live among in Boston - the same fans that I was so sure at halftime and at 28-3 I would finally have something to lord over). It was sickening.

Clearly I'm over it. :bang:

40 minutes ago, E. T. said:

I'm still not over 1980, 1991, 1998, 2004, 2008, 2012.

Any of you guys remember that 1980 team? To me that was the best balanced team ever put together. We had the offense and defense to beat anybody. That team absolutely should have won the SB that year. But...……..!!!!!

I am with you man, do you remember the Christmas song that was made for the Falcons? The Atlanta area radio stations were playing it none stop. This is also where my hate of the Cowboys started.

1 hour ago, E. T. said:

I'm still not over 1980, 1991, 1998, 2004, 2008, 2012.

Any of you guys remember that 1980 team? To me that was the best balanced team ever put together. We had the offense and defense to beat anybody. That team absolutely should have won the SB that year. But...……..!!!!!

Yep 28-3 still pizzes me off, but yea finally watched the 1980 game in 2010 and it brought back all those memories sitting there at AFCS as a teenager, got pizzed off all over again.

E. T. and Stray Dog THA GAWD like this

I never will get over it until the Lombardi trophy is finally hoisted into the air by Falcons players.

I am 46 years old and I have been a fan for 32 years. It is sad for me to say, but at the rate we are going, I don’t think it will happen in my lifetime!

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

3 hours ago, Falconer89 said:

Had we been blown out from the start, or lost in a back and forth game, would it have been easier to get over?

Yes, because we wouldn't look like complete idiots.

That game still shapes many of the discussions to this day. Shanny - Sark comparisons. Quinn game management. A defense that isn't where it needs to be.

28 - 3 late in the 3rd qtr.

Julio makes an incredible catch that put's the ball well within field goal range.

One of the most efficient field goal kickers in the league can put the game away.

A holding penalty. A sack. No longer in field goal range.

Not sure people are over it when every mistake made since reminds them of that season and that game.

If anyone is considering finding a sturdy extension cord and a chair please call the number in my sig instead

Edited by Pay the Zebra

9 hours ago, TheUsualStuff said:

Agree... Still don't want to talk about it or revisit it in any way, but I've been an Atlanta sports fan since since as far back as I can remember: late 60's.

Swift kicks to my fandom nuts is something I am used to dealing with. I expect it. The fun of sports for me is trying to guess in what new and unique way my teams will blow chances to win championships.

ajxMMwr_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Edited by Falconsin2012

Never. This team will continue to be an embarrassment until they win a SB.

The Georgia curse is real, regardless of what people think.

That franchise will never get over 28-3...  It took the place of the 1980 debacle against  Dallas and THAT was a feat to accomplish...:lol:

Edited by slickgadawg

I was over it when the Pats won the coin toss for OT.  Seen enough sports let downs to know it was just the way it was going to go.  Still think have the what could have been when it's brought up, but the most annoying part of it all is when other fans (especially all my Eagles fans friends) get that joy of a Super Bowl and can just talk down on the franchise.  

11 minutes ago, Statick said:

Two weeks, tops.

Took me three just to visit sports sites, sports radio, or tv. I’m still not over it. When I stop watching football I’ll get over.