A pros guide to tanking! Please define!

roguebeaver

Is it driven by the owner, head coach, GM, personnel guy, or players, or the media, the team PR folks and the local sports reporters? Who?

For a successful tank to occur, all parties have to be somewhat involved in the “process” and adhearing to the master plan! Else, you’ll blow your plan post haste. Yes?

The question then becomes, who has to become the sacrificial lamb...a few underling coaches, some players, who will lose their job? Is the tank plan put in motion when the team realizes they are going to be facing cap he’ll the next several years and the only option is to let some good high priced players walk? 

I’m asking because, while it can be a team strategy to recover room to financially operate, it does create a shatty taste in the fans mouth to have to swallow the tank wad! Well, do you disagree?

Is tanking an art form, a business process, or a mythical happening that allows some fans to ponder the great draft choices which may be available down the road! 

If it’s the thought of wonderful draft choices, then the Browns have been tanking for years, getting great picks without knowing what tank drafting is all about!

Id love to read your comments! Well mostly, I would. 

The NFL is not a tank league. Too many roster spots and coaching positions to preserve.

Tank and you could get swept out with the trash the next year. This aint the NBA.

I don't think you should ever tank so I have no wisdom to offer on tank strategies.

Play for pride, your job and your fans. Don't ever quit. Never tank. Even at 0-15.

Tanking can be intentional (see: Browns and their 0-16 season) or it can be accidental (see: Lions 0-16 season). The Raiders blew up their roster with Gruden and their tank is a result of it. The Falcons have lost so many players to injury and are staring at 4-8 with four games left, so their tank is accidental. 

At this point, we are trying out our third RG this season and may be looking at playing our back up RT. We have played Russell Gage more than Justin Hardy at WR. We didn't play our best run stopping DT vs a team that averaged 200+ yards rushing the last three weeks. We don't have to intentionally tank, it's already happening.

I've just got two questions for you "non-tankers":

1. If we could have drafted Khalil Mack in 2014, would you have taken him in a heartbeat? The answer for every single one of you is "Yes". 

2. What are the wins against Buffalo and Washington doing for this franchise today? Not a dam thing. 

Those are the wins that kept us from drafting Mack. But do tell me what those wins did for the franchise's "pride and winning culture". They still went 4-12. They f*ckin sucked. 

9 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

Lol @vel

Seriously. I'm a very competitive person, but I'm also a very calculated person. I've played plenty of competitive sports and love winning. But, as any strategy person knows, sometimes losing is the best way to win LONG TERM. The 2013 season has what impact on the team today? Nothing. But if we lost two more games, we could have drafted a generational talent in Khalil Mack. Now, I'm happy we have Matthews, but were those two games worth it? No. They don't mean anything today. We sucked. 2-14 or 4-12. What's the difference? Yall are focused on today. That's emotion. Pride is bs. Here is something you can learn from about pride:

I might change my name to Marsellus Wallace for this offseason. I wouldn't be where I am in my career and life if I was head strong and didn't think a step back can lead to a bigger step forward. 

Chess not checkers

2 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

I remember that season @vel. I think a washed up Stephen Jackson scored a late TD against Washington. I don’t think there are are any wins left on this schedule anyway though. The team has packed it in or is just downright awful this year. Either way it still kind of sucks though because it’s getting our QB killed. 

Exactly. That team won a couple games for "pride" and most of that team was cut because they sucked. But that's also why I say they'll accidentally tank this year. Sunday showed me we are cooked. We have maybe one win vs Arizona solely because it's a home game vs a rookie QB. But an 0-4 finish is perfectly fine with me. I won't be reminiscing over a week 15 in 2018 five years from now because of "pride"...

Crazy thing about the Khalil Mack draft is the Falcons still had the chance to draft the best defensive player in the draft, one that they personally coached at the senior bowl, and passed on him.

Jakes been steady and one of two reasons why Matt isn't dead this year.. but yeah.

Just now, HEIST said:

Crazy thing about the Khalil Mack draft is the Falcons still had the chance to draft the best defensive player in the draft, one that they personally coached at the senior bowl, and passed on him.

Jakes been steady and one of two reasons why Matt isn't dead this year.. but yeah.

Oh very true. Donald was very much on the board. But I think the eyes were on Mack then Matthews then Donald. Again, our HC was Smitty. He wanted Tyson Jackson and Paul Soliai. Aaron Donald would have been foreign to him. 

Tanking =/= involving the players and telling them to lose on purpose. Tanking means resting hurt (not injured) players and allowing rookies/depth players snaps to develop and potentially even give them the chance to ball out. If they do and you win some games, great, you just found a diamond in the rough. If not and you lose, who cares, your draft position vastly improves. Nobody is asking Falcons players NOT to try. 

46 minutes ago, vel said:

1. If we could have drafted Khalil Mack in 2014, would you have taken him in a heartbeat?

I think Matt Ryan would be forcibly retired right now if we hadn't gotten Matthews in 2014. Our line play had been atrocious, and we would have wound up taking Cyrus Kouandjio, a true bust, instead of Hageman.

28 minutes ago, HEIST said:

Yeah, some of us liked the idea of a trade back and then a pick of Donald, but Atlanta had to take an OT that year. We actually got lucky because the Rams almost took Matthews over Greg Robinson. If we had been stuck with him, eek. (And I say that as someone who liked Robinson heading into that draft.)

15 hours ago, jidady said:

I think Matt Ryan would be forcibly retired right now if we hadn't gotten Matthews in 2014. Our line play had been atrocious, and we would have wound up taking Cyrus Kouandjio, a true bust, instead of Hageman.

I agree.  J Matthews was just luck for us to be able to draft that high.  He has been our best drafted Olineman since TD has been here (I assume), and the only other good olinemen we have gotten was A Mack and it seems like that was a fluke too (hasn't most of our other Oline signings been misses?).  If we didn't take Jake, not sure who we would have gotten in the later rounds but we did not need another Sam Baker or P Konz.

2 hours ago, dawgsjw said:

I agree.  J Matthews was just luck for us to be able to draft that high.  He has been our best drafted Olineman since TD has been here (I assume), and the only other good olinemen we have gotten was A Mack and it seems like that was a fluke too (hasn't most of our other Oline signings been misses?).  If we didn't take Jake, not sure who we would have gotten in the later rounds but we did not need another Sam Baker or P Konz.

Mack isn't a fluke. His step back this year stems from the piles of waste sitting on either side of him. Give him some decent Guards and he's back to form,  IMO.

59 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

Mack isn't a fluke. His step back this year stems from the piles of waste sitting on either side of him. Give him some decent Guards and he's back to form,  IMO.

I meant that the signing of Mack was a fluke.  How many FA olinemen have we signed that ever turned out to be good/great?  Granted Mack was highly rated before we signed him but we haven't had luck signing elite guys at their position on the oline.  That is why I think signing him was a fluke, because I'm not sure we got after another top tier T or guard, who we will have to pay like one as well. 

And just to clarify I think Mack is awesome at center and I wasn't speaking of his play as being a fluke, as he is that good.

Edited by dawgsjw