HMFIC

Is Julio truly the best WR in the NFL ?

139 posts in this topic

I'm not talking about just this year, I mean over his career.  I know he is usually double covered and that Ryan has had little time this year to get him the ball, but AJ Green with Cincy and  Antonio Brown  with Pittsburgh are also double covered , and they still get wide open on some plays, more than Julio.  Julio is very seldom wide open, and when he  is, his hands are suspect. I'm not saying that he is not one of the best WRs, but to call him the best in the NFL is questionable.  I know some Stat guru will blind me with stats, but all in all, his performances just don't seem to be the best in the NFL.  he seems to be playing the role of a possesion receiver, and he is not that good at it with his questionable hands.  One would expect Julio to be on the receiving end of long go routes, ala Green and Brown.  OK stat mavens , have at it.

Rgunzz and Chunkey9 like this

i want to say yes but i have to say no right now.  he's not scoring enough to be considered the very best wr in the league.  he also drops a ton of passes.  he doesn't appear to be getting as many yards after catch this year.  he seems to always have to take plays off!  and finally is always hampered by injuries.

with all of this said-i would hate to not have him on our team.  he is one of my favorite falcons of all time!

No, he is one of the best. I think Antonia Brown is the best right now. Julio is the best physical specimen in the game and top three. AB is the best route runner and best overall in my opinion. Julio might be close second.

jay1k2 and ya_boi_j like this

7 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

No, he is one of the best. I think Antonia Brown is the best right noe. Julio is the best physical specimen in the game and top three. AB is the best route runner and best overall in my opinion. Julio might be close second.

With the pace OBJ was on in his first 3-4 years, be on lookout if he ever gets another QB who can throw the rock efficiently

FalconinPA, Rgunzz and Borat like this

Most physically dominant? Yes. Most skilled? No. I’d say AB is most skilled. I’ll leave it that only those two are in the real conversation for #1. Leave Hopkins, Beckham, Thomas, etc. at the door. 

I don't think it's truly possible to quantify the best receiver because there are a lot of good ones and they all have vastly different situations and strengths.  Put Julio on the Steelers with a QB who extends plays and takes a lot more chances throwing down the field and I think his stats look much different. 

That said for as much as AB gets doubled on "every snap", I've watched maybe 3-4 Steelers games this season and touchdowns in each of those games from AB came on pure single coverage or a single high safety not specifically assigned to AB.  I won't say Julio never gets single coverage, but it seems a much more rare situation.  I think the biggest factor people overlook with the TD difference is the TYPE of double coverage Julio and AB receive.  AB seems to routinely get doubled with a deep safety over the top so he is still able to do damage underneath and he is really shifty route runner and after the catch.  Also makes it so that when the safety is late to arrive over the top (see about 60% of ABs TDs this season) he is going for a long score.  Julio gets double teams that are tight brackets and in addition a lot of times still sees some sort of safety flashing over the top.  Teams do this for good reason though, Julio isn't easily tackled by one defensive back which is why you typically see multiple guys hanging on him as he goes to the ground.  Meanwhile AB can make guys look silly and miss in the open field, but teams don't fear him actually physically breaking tackles in the same way Julio can.  Julio's hands still have hurt him in the conversation over the past couple years, he should probably have another 200 yards and maybe a touchdown or so more this season.

17 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

With the pace OBJ was on in his first 3-4 years, be on lookout if he ever gets another QB who can throw the rock efficiently

Agreed, him and Hopkins are close as well.

ya_boi_j likes this

56 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

AB. Don't try to convince me otherwise. When a 6th rounder does what he has accomplished and does it consistently, he's the best IMO. Love Julio but he isn't better than AB. Spare me the "players his size doing this and that" BS.

Agreed. 

But I also think the question is pretty silly regardless. 

29 minutes ago, IA Falcon07 said:

I don't think it's truly possible to quantify the best receiver because there are a lot of good ones and they all have vastly different situations and strengths.  Put Julio on the Steelers with a QB who extends plays and takes a lot more chances throwing down the field and I think his stats look much different. 

That said for as much as AB gets doubled on "every snap", I've watched maybe 3-4 Steelers games this season and touchdowns in each of those games from AB came on pure single coverage or a single high safety not specifically assigned to AB.  I won't say Julio never gets single coverage, but it seems a much more rare situation.  I think the biggest factor people overlook with the TD difference is the TYPE of double coverage Julio and AB receive.  AB seems to routinely get doubled with a deep safety over the top so he is still able to do damage underneath and he is really shifty route runner and after the catch.  Also makes it so that when the safety is late to arrive over the top (see about 60% of ABs TDs this season) he is going for a long score.  Julio gets double teams that are tight brackets and in addition a lot of times still sees some sort of safety flashing over the top.  Teams do this for good reason though, Julio isn't easily tackled by one defensive back which is why you typically see multiple guys hanging on him as he goes to the ground.  Meanwhile AB can make guys look silly and miss in the open field, but teams don't fear him actually physically breaking tackles in the same way Julio can.  Julio's hands still have hurt him in the conversation over the past couple years, he should probably have another 200 yards and maybe a touchdown or so more this season.

Because no one knows what they're talking about. 

Julio isnt "double covered on every snap." No one in the league gets "double covered on every snap." Situationally perhaps. Against certain teams, double coverage increases. But by and large, people talk about this game in ways that are way way too reductive. 

1 minute ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Agreed. 

But I also think the question is pretty silly regardless. 

Only reason I can think that it was brought up is because week in and week out, that's all people say. Julio is the best. He can finish this season with 2000 yards and still wouldn't be the best. This is why I hate trying to rank players.

4 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Hopkins has an insane skillset

hopkins doing it with no qb

Rgunzz likes this

2 minutes ago, BLM said:

hopkins doing it with no qb

Now or then? because he has a pretty solid one now. He and Andre Johnson both performed at a high level with no QB ironically for the same team

13 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Only reason I can think that it was brought up is because week in and week out, that's all people say. Julio is the best. He can finish this season with 2000 yards and still wouldn't be the best. This is why I hate trying to rank players.

Its almost never an apples to apples comparison ya know? Most of these dudes do things differently. At a certain point, it becomes a matter of taste. If you're in the that Top X group, you're doing something well. And AB, Julio and probably Nuke are in that group right now. Which one is better ultimately comes down to preference most of the time. It's not like there's a Jerry Rice-level guy who is just utterly dominating at a level way higher than everyone else. 

4 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Its almost never an apples to apples comparison ya know? Most of these dudes do things differently. At a certain point, it becomes a matter of taste. If you're in the that Top X group, you're doing something well. And AB, Julio and probably Nuke are in that group right now. Which one is better ultimately comes down to preference most of the time. It's not like there's a Jerry Rice-level guy who is just utterly dominating at a level way higher than everyone else. 

There's  one thing I've learned about having that debate on this website. Trying to argue against a Falcons player, the conversation is only going to be horrible. Thankfully there are a few who aren't 100% bias and a solid conversation can be had involving other players who are or on the verge of being better than Falcon players. **** listening to HOF players talk about it is bad most times too because they only name the big names.

5 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Alot of it has to go round team performance aswell.

Julios suffered the last 2 seasons because of that.He had a new OC last year and the team has struggled this year and is so inconsistent but he's still putting up numbers and performing.

To me right now we aren't seeing anywhere near the best of Julio Jones.2016 Julio correctly utilised I don't think it's close.What I saw in the playoffs with a guy playing injured is nie on one of the better playoff performances I've seen in a long time and should have ended in a SB win for the Falcons.