mashburn*Fibonacci

Give me a reason to not tank.

122 posts in this topic

No, I won't give you a reason not to to tank, absolutely nothing to be gained from winning even a single game at this point....time to send in this guy at QB...

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, TheTrue7 said:

You keep saying terms like “chance” and “better shot”, but keep refuting my premise that  there are no guarantees.. ok?

See above.. I started by saying that there are two guarantees in life.. and it doesn’t matter where they’re drafted.. there are no guarantees 

I guarantee that 4 more wins this season won't help us, but you are being dense in thinking better draft picks isn't a plus for the team. You are the only one going on about "guarantee's"

Stop being dense 4 more wins VS better draft picks is a no brainer. 

rogueleadersf and Bigbenright like this

First off, I would never be for tanking and anyone who has a truly competitive nature and says they could do it I wouldn't have on my team.  However, I think everyone is forgetting this is the Atlanta Falcons...who of us would not be surprised if currently at 4 - 8 we win the next 4 games, finish at 8-8 to barely miss the playoffs but finish strong enough to make DQ keep all the current coaching staff and yet still end up with a first round draft pick around 20.  Yes I am being completely sarcastic, but with the way things have been not going our way this year....that would be par for the course!!

rogueleadersf likes this

13 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

I guarantee that 4 more wins this season won't help us, but you are being dense in thinking better draft picks isn't a plus for the team. You are the only one going on about "guarantee's"

Stop being dense 4 more wins VS better draft picks is a no brainer. 

I’m the only one going on about guarantees yet you start your post with “I guarantee”... and I’m being called dense, even though it’s clear you don’t understand the definition of the word guarantee.. this coming from a poster who has stated that he’d love to watch us lose every game.. even when we weren’t mathematically eliminated.. 

man, you’re something else...

48 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

So you're saying we've got a hefty refund coming?!!  :slick:

As to the topic du jour, I think we can lose the rest of our games without tanking. It'll be hard, yes, but with this elite coaching staff we can be optimistic about hitting the big 4-12 spectacular fail of major draft ownage. Rise Down!

He said to provide one reason, and I did. There are plenty of others. Primary thing, getting a group of guys to purposefully lose is very unhealthy. Fans often times forget that these players are human beings 

4 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

He said to provide one reason, and I did. There are plenty of others. Primary thing, getting a group of guys to purposefully lose is very unhealthy. Fans often times forget that these players are human beings 

And a very good reason, if not a primary one. I would never as a player or coach purposely not try to win. I apologize if my attempt at levity came off lame.

JD dirtybird21 likes this

Just now, PokerSteve said:

And a very good reason, if not a primary one. I would never as a player or coach purposely not try to win. I apologize if my attempt at levity came off lame.

I don’t take things personally on here man. I know you’re cool. 

Rough season. When expectations are high and the team ends up sucking is just the worst 

PokerSteve likes this

4 minutes ago, Expert Poster said:

We're 4-8. Looks like we're doing just fine losing without putting any additional effort into the task. 

This needs to change. Sunday. In Lambeau. I hope we open a can of whoopass and run the table. Find out who wants to play and build some momentum for 2019. Like Reeves did in 1997. Started 0-5, struggled to 2-8, didn't tank, finished 5-1 and combined that into a 21-4 Super Bowl run. Tank on.

Vandy likes this

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Never tank. Even if you're 0-15. Don't get too wrapped up in the draft. It's a crap shoot. There are always better players available below where you pick. Most TATF Tankers want to use a needs based approach to fill holes on day one. Rooks usually take 2-3 years to settle in folks. Needs based drafting got us where we are today. Just look at some of Dimi's first round needs based draft picks:

• 2008 - Sackmaker - 21st - left Duane Brown on the board
  • 2009 - Jelly - 24th - left Clay Matthews and Vontae Davis on the board
  • 2010 - Featherspoon - 19th - left BayBay, Dez, McCourty and Jerry Hughes on the board
  • 2013 - TruFront - 22nd - left Travis Frederick and Xavier Rhodes on the board
  • 2014 - Bloodline - 6th - left Aaron Donald on the board
  • 2015 - Bustley - 8th - left Gurlie on the board

You can’t count Baker as Matt Ryan was the only original 1st round pick we had that year. The Baker selection was a result of a trade up from the 2nd round.

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Bro yall tankers need to go to Profootball Reference and analyze the drafts. Use the CarAV rating. You will quickly realize that there were several better players outside of the top five. And plenty busts in the top five. Tank on tankers.

You clearly don’t understand statistics. You’re using a sample size of 5 players vs the rest of the draft. Are you that dense?

I understand chances are better (even though there’s sooooo many variables that need to fall in place), but a chance is not a guarantee.. 

people that view a higher draft pick as a guaranteed player are the same that drop the word “bust” very quickly.. 

Sports are all about maximizing +EV. There is no argument against having a higher draft pick. Higher draft picks = greater chance of drafting a blue chip player = +EV. The fact that it is not a guarantee plays into the equation for higher and lower picks, with the uncertainty being higher as the pick gets lower. 

2 minutes ago, Cole World said:

You can’t count Baker as Matt Ryan was the only original 1st round pick we had that year. The Baker selection was a result of a trade up from the 2nd round.

Bro we traded two seconds and a fourth to trade up in the first to select Sackmaker who flamed out in his rookie year and had to be replaced by Weiner who moved over and played a helluva season with no knees. We went from 4-12 to 11-5 with a playoff berth. We took buddy over Duane Brown and traded away hella draft capital. He then sucked monkey balls until his contract year and duped Dimi for a huge extension that we got zero from. Nothing. You can count Sackmaker. He was one of Dimi's first round gems.

Vandy likes this

I’m the only one going on about guarantees yet you start your post with “I guarantee”... and I’m being called dense, even though it’s clear you don’t understand the definition of the word guarantee.. this coming from a poster who has stated that he’d love to watch us lose every game.. even when we weren’t mathematically eliminated.. 

man, you’re something else...

You're an idiot, I was making fun of you.

18 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Bro we traded two seconds and a fourth to trade up in the first to select Sackmaker who flamed out in his rookie year and had to be replaced by Weiner who moved over and played a helluva season with no knees. We went from 4-12 to 11-5 with a playoff berth. We took buddy over Duane Brown and traded away hella draft capital. He then sucked monkey balls until his contract year and duped Dimi for a huge extension that we got zero from. Nothing. You can count Sackmaker. He was one of Dimi's first round gems.

Bro I know we traded up. That’s not the point I was making. We started the draft with 1 first round pick, the number 3 pick. Dimitroff hit on that pick.

You tried making a point by adding Baker to where we drafted him was not our original pick. 

3 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Bro I know we traded up. That’s not the point I was making. We started the draft with 1 first round pick, the number 3 pick. Dimitroff hit on that pick.

You tried making a point by adding Baker to where we drafted him was not our original pick. 

I posted first round Dimi need picks. Sackmaker Baker was definitely one. Then he re-signed him.

Thomas Dimitroff is not the roster builder TATF swore he was. Failed miserably on OLine and DLine.

I GUARANTEE we will not have a winning record this year or go to the playoffs. Better draft picks give you better odds at picking better players and or trading for more picks in the draft. That is at LEAST something of value we can salvage out of a season where we won't even have a winning record.

So stupid people are legit trying to downplay the concept of getting a top 5 draft pick in each round in comparison to some late season wins that won't get us in the playoff or even give us a winning record.

2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

"I guarantee that 4 more wins this season won't help us, but you are being dense...."

Brother, learning how to win builds confidence and we need to end the year on the mend not the troth.  Go look at the teams that are the top 1/3 in early draft picks and you'll see their year over year W-L average is consistently at the mid to bottom third of the league. Following the Browns model doesn't pay off.

Vandy likes this

9 hours ago, Skeetbird said:

I would lose respect for any team that TANKED. Given the state of Georgia team sports and years of let down. It's borderline on how much a person can take before they decide to spend  their energy on other things.

I dont understand the whole lets tank thing anyway. It's just stupid. Draft is just russian roulette anyways. No guarantees on your pick being great. Marcus Cotton, Aundrey Bruce, Vic Beasley.........I could go on and on

teams tank all of the time. check out the trade value chart and you will see just how valuable the high first round picks are. if we got an elite pass rushing end or tackle along with neal, jones, allen back, plus add the experience our new depth players kazee, olukon are gaining. we could make a real run again next year.

Bigbenright likes this

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I will gladly volunteer to drive any tankers out to the state line and drop em off in Alabama.

Players, coaches and fans.

Alabama wins. Maybe the South Carolina line. 

2 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Sports are all about maximizing +EV. There is no argument against having a higher draft pick. Higher draft picks = greater chance of drafting a blue chip player = +EV. The fact that it is not a guarantee plays into the equation for higher and lower picks, with the uncertainty being higher as the pick gets lower. 

I understand chances, but to guarantee a higher draft pick to pan out better than a lower one is just wrong.. I mean there’s too many examples to name..

1 hour ago, MAD597 said:

You're an idiot, I was making fun of you.

Lol.. not even worth it..

Vandy likes this