Goober Pyle

Schultz: Falcons’ season decline stems from bad decisions, not just injuries

180 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

He might be a good player but the results speak for themselves 

4 wins.

Ridley might not really pan out until the next staff.

You get two consecutive non playoff years with Arthur Blank... unless you’re Dan Reeves

Are you serious? Ridley’s not in the stratosphere of Top reasons why falcons are at 4 wins. That’s ******* crazy talk.

58 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Quinn has to let his ego go, and hire him a real DC, that will draft his own personnel. That's why I'm not to fast to call out MM. He's a product of a defensive minded HC. I would steal Mike Nolan from the Saints. Anyone noticed that the Saints LB are playing great now?

Nolan was Troffed. Wanted 4-5 LB for 3-4, he got Bartu and worrilow.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

Anyone questioning the Calvin Ridley pick doesn't know enough about football to talk about football.

You don't use a pick under the assumption your team is going to fall apart to injury. The roster was set up to go BPA. Everybody agreed on that. Of course, when you have back up OGs, a back up RB, back up LBs, back up safeties, etc. starting, people will complain we "wasted" a pick on Ridley. Like we knew this was going to happen...

Vandy, Tandy, FalconJim and 2 others like this

1 hour ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Quinn has to let his ego go, and hire him a real DC, that will draft his own personnel. That's why I'm not to fast to call out MM. He's a product of a defensive minded HC. I would steal Mike Nolan from the Saints. Anyone noticed that the Saints LB are playing great now?

Or better yet

5 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Nolan was Troffed. Wanted 4-5 LB for 3-4, he got Bartu and worrilow.

Nolan had incredible say on defense

As a matter of fact he threatened to leave the Falcons after 2012 if he did not have more day in picking the players for defense

Flying Falcon likes this

47 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

It is funny now to read articles from Schultz in the Athletic while his former comrade Bradley at the AJC writes virtually similar ones.  In the past, they would alternate, with maybe one writing the Falcons article one week while the other wrote the Hawks or UGA one.  Bradley wrote an article after Sunday's loss saying the Falcons need repairs ASAP.

I don't necessarily disagree with Schultz about the current state of things but actually believe the Falcons thought they had the OL resolved beforehand.  And, spending a late 1st round pick on an OL would really have not been the difference maker this year - a young OG would have sat on the sidelines probably until Fusco was hurt (Schweitzer would have still got first chance at Levitre's spot) and would be in the learning stage for several weeks.

As for drafting Ridley, I really think the Falcons thought Julio might sit out for awhile and had to have something around to fill his space.  If they had known Julio would be here all year, I could see them maybe drafting differently.

(1) Both Schultz and Bradley are hacks.

(2) Julio ‘holdout’ (and it was nothing of the kind) had zippo to do with Ridley pick. 

(3) And the kid most TAFT experts (and I bet Schultz) thought we were picking Rd 1? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news-journalonline.com/sports/20181107/jaguars-still-waiting-for-taven-bryans-first-sack%3ftemplate=ampart

Jpg428gggg likes this

37 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Are you serious? Ridley’s not in the stratosphere of Top reasons why falcons are at 4 wins. That’s ******* crazy talk.

What I’m saying was the Falcons ignored other more pressing needs to take Ridley.

If Ridley didn’t play one snap what’s the difference? 2 games? 

The Falcons still had real problems up front.  Claiborne, Poe, and Upshaw left and they replaced them with 1 guy.  That was never going to work.  What kind of insane production did they expect from Beasley, Jarret, & Takk?

Also did we forget the unstoppable offense doesn’t work when you can’t stop the other team?  2012 and 2016?

Ridley may turn out to be a good player but if Quinn doesn’t resolve the problems in the trenches next season Ridley may be a boon for the next defensive head coach Blank hires.

vitaman, Da_Truth and Geneaut like this

25 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Nolan had incredible say on defense

As a matter of fact he threatened to leave the Falcons after 2012 if he did not have more day in picking the players for defense

Say What?

3 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

What I’m saying was the Falcons ignored other more pressing needs to take Ridley.

If Ridley didn’t play one snap what’s the difference? 2 games? 

The Falcons still had real problems up front.  Claiborne, Poe, and Upshaw left and they replaced them with 1 guy.  That was never going to work.  Did we forget the unstoppable offense doesn’t work when you can’t stop the other team?  2012 and 2016?

Ridley may turn out to be a good player but if Quinn doesn’t resolve the problems in the trenches next season Ridley may be a boon for the next defensive head coach Blank hires.

So what? You draft more for the long-term anyway. 

We had a nice draft last year....Ridley, Senat, Smith, Foye all played well for rookies. The guy most folks wanted “in the trenches” ....including me....was Taven Bryan. Have you seen how badly he (and jags) have stunk it up this year? 

2 hours ago, roguebeaver said:

How many TATF members will agree with this because Schultz said it, whilst ridiculing the many TATF members who said the same things? 

The FO, TD and DQ own a lot of the responsibilities here, not just lower level coaches!! As well as some paper chasers, to which the team has many on board. 

I was saying EXACTLY this after the Steelers game.

Flying Falcon likes this

I mentioned the locker room stuff a couple weeks back after reading about what Jason Kelce was saying with the Eagles. It's true. I'll never forget Matt Ryan's 2nd game and how after a horrible 1st half he played great in the 2nd half in a losing effort. What I took from it was this image that happened some time during the game of Lawyer Milloy chewing out Matt Ryan. Why? Because Ryan was playing like **** and he needed to know that was not acceptable. We don't have stuff like that anymore. We don't have a HC who's going to get in an opponent's face and let him know who's boss. Good locker rooms don't let seasons go out of control. Good coaches don't let seasons go out of control and we've seen it twice in 4 years under Quinn. Brotherhood be ****ed!!

putnam6, GhostofGritz and Da_Truth like this

I agree with most of the write up. O lines and D lines are the obvious priority. Protecting Ryan is the key to making this offense roll. Not Julio, not Ridley. And the D line needs to create pressure, period. If the falcons can only fix one in the offseason, I’d go O line. This team can win with a deadly offense and average defense. Also, I agree with the write up that coaching changes should be made. I’m not convinced Sark needs to go. But I’m pretty done with Manual

Hurry_Up_And_Buy likes this

2 hours ago, jidady said:

Blaming that on a rookie receiver is absurd. And it's lazy critical thinking to believe that the Falcons should have expected the entire secondary and half the offensive line to get wiped out by injuries.

We picked the best player on the board, and he has performed like a player that shouldn't have been on the board 15 picks prior to that. He's pacing for 800 yards and 10 TDs as a rookie. Julio was 959/8. It's like the moronic "we shouldn't have traded up for Julio" posts back in the day.

I've got no patience for that kind of stupid.

I'm constantly hammering our FO talking about the O and D lines, but we have another problem coming in 2019 that drafting Ridley is going to help with - cap issues.  By picking up Ridley, we will have the option of releasing Sanu next year if we need to clear up cap space.  I think if you evaluate the pick this way, it is a pretty sage choice.

jidady likes this

Yeah coaching does need to make changes. And really it is about fixing the lines of both offense in protecting Ryan and defense in winning the games. As well as cap issues.

Ripping on the Ridley pick is stupid. The guy has been a weapon all season and made sense with how the league is trending towards teams using 3 receivers in most sets.

I’ll defer to the other experts on what is wrong with our offense. I get our running backs and offensive line are struggling but it feels like something else is going on.

2 hours ago, falcndave said:

I don't think it should be taken as a knock on Ridley. I think the implication is more about opportunity cost. What alternative did you pass on when you drafted him? Ridley is who we know him as after college and 1 year here A great technical route runner than can win 1v1, but who's hands occasionally go on vacation. He was certainly a good pick, but if you take him out and plug Gage, Hardy, or what's his name in, the offense is only marginally worse off. 

I personally like the pick. However, I'm not deaf to arguments against it. 

First of all, I hear what you're saying, but we'd be a lot worse off without those eight TDs. You can't tell me Gage or Hardy scores on more than two of them. As for being thin on the DL, we drafted a guy in the third round. If we had drafted one in the first, we wouldn't have done that, so it's a zero-sum exchange.

In looking at the draft, the most reasonable alternatives for the Falcons at that spot are linemen. That's Taven Bryan (12 tackles, zero sacks this year), Austin Corbett (total bust so far), Will Hernandez (64.8 grade on PFF), and Braden Smith (69.4 grade on PFF). Barring a trade down, we would have reached for an inferior player, meaning that the opportunity cost would have gone the other way. Out of the next 15 picks, Darius Leonard is the only player who seems like someone who could have helped a lot, but we wouldn't have drafted Foyesade Oluokun, who looks like a late-round guy who can play.

For all our struggles this season, the Falcons appear to have had a terrific draft.

Vandy, Goober Pyle and kiwifalcon like this

3 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Nah man Jeff Ulbrichs a good coach I'd keep him even look at promoting him to DC if they choose to for go MM.

Vandy likes this

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

So what? You draft more for the long-term anyway. 

We had a nice draft last year....Ridley, Senat, Smith, Foye all played well for rookies. The guy most folks wanted “in the trenches” ....including me....was Taven Bryan. Have you seen how bad he (and jags) have stunk this year? He has

He has 9 tackles.........zero sacks

Had we picked him and Ridley has this rookie season somewhere else....the same ones talking about "trenches" (which I already can tell will l be my hated buzzword of the offseason)....those same people would be whining and complaining that we passed over Ridley

Hurry_Up_And_Buy and Vandy like this

37 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

He has 9 tackles.........zero sacks

Had we picked him and Ridley has this rookie season somewhere else....the same ones talking about "trenches" (which I already can tell will l be my hated buzzword of the offseason)....those same people would be whining and complaining that we passed over Ridley

Guaranteed.

The "We're good like we are" (you weren't) must be ditched. It sounded good when DQ said something like every man in that locker room is ready to step up. I agree with not giving up 1st and 2nd round draft picks but before and after injuries we had holes and DQ and TD refused to bulge. The Fast and Physical is good but you got to have SOME BEEF to make it work and we aren't pphysical on either side of the ball

They are around them everyday so we give them the benefit of the doubt though we were seeing otherwise. Even some of the decisions with UDFA'S and FA'S ???? Hopefully they will rethink  some of their ways.

8 hours ago, jidady said:

Blaming that on a rookie receiver is absurd. And it's lazy critical thinking to believe that the Falcons should have expected the entire secondary and half the offensive line to get wiped out by injuries.

We picked the best player on the board, and he has performed like a player that shouldn't have been on the board 15 picks prior to that. He's pacing for 800 yards and 10 TDs as a rookie. Julio was 959/8. It's like the moronic "we shouldn't have traded up for Julio" posts back in the day.

I've got no patience for that kind of stupid.

Ridley was the right pick.  The article has its flaws, but the overall content strikes at the team's poor decisions regarding personnel.  The Falcons have done a very poor job of building the lines.  That is a fundamental error that will keep us chasing our tails for seasons to come.  

This team should be criticized.......heavily.  They need to work to improve the LOS now.

vitaman likes this

10 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Didn't we have Mike Nolan at some point? So lemme ask this. If we brought Quinn in for his defensive expertise(let's ignore the fact that Seattle was slammed with talent and pretend Quinn had something to do with their success), then he brings in a DC that gets full control of the D, what is Quinn good at then? He can't manage a clock, he won't intervene on offense(SB collapse), he won't argue with a Ref on behalf of his team and to be quite honest.... won't step outside of his comfort zone to become great.

Quinn is just a figure head at this point. He refused to take play calling duties from  Manuel once the collapse began soooooo. He's just kind of..... there

Da_Truth and Flying Falcon like this