slickgadawg

Leftwich slings ball 57 yards off back foot Saints vs Falcons...

106 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jidady said:

You keep showing incompletions so I have to ask. How do you think football works?

Not to mention that the Baker throw is nothing special. We've seen Ryan make that throw numerous times in his 10 years here.

jidady likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Vick made some amazing plays in that game. Keep your stats to yourself. They're not valid. He still made some decent plays in the game. 

Oh yes, the whole, because it was Vick stats don't matter post. Love it when the Vick nuthuggers throw out the stats when they don't fit with the narrative that Vick had this amazing game and was the sole reason the Falcons won despite the clear evidence of the contrary. The Falcons won the game because of the defense. Vick had a few decent plays? Sure and a broken clock is right twice a day. I can find good highlights of Joey Harrington in a Falcons uniform, doesn't make him a good player.

AlabamaFalconFan likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jidady said:

My favorite Leftwich play with the Falcons was when he wound up on an And Goal play and threw the ball into the eighth row of the crowd. It's legitimately one of the least accurate passes I've ever seen in the NFL. It was so bad that the announcers tried to play it off as him throwing the ball away, which he clearly wasn't doing.

Surely you jest... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all know that Ryan doesn't have the strongest arm in the world.  But it's strong enough.  You don't need a rocket arm to be successful.  Look at Brees.  What makes Brees better than Ryan is consistent accuracy.  I think we all can agree that Ryan is a very good QB and the best the Falcons have ever had, but he could improve on his accuracy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jidady said:

My favorite Leftwich play with the Falcons was when he wound up on an And Goal play and threw the ball into the eighth row of the crowd. It's legitimately one of the least accurate passes I've ever seen in the NFL. It was so bad that the announcers tried to play it off as him throwing the ball away, which he clearly wasn't doing.

I remember that throw, it was hilarious.  I think it was against the Chiefs.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, falcndave said:

Poll 32 GMs and 483 scouts. Ask them who is "a premium," Ryan or Leftwich. 

Do you remember Leftwich's first start in a Falcons uniform. I don't believe you do. I still remember the "oh well" look on his face as a red zone laser fired 15 feet above the open intended receiver and into the stands. 

Lol I was just about to mention that play.  It was the worst pass I’ve ever seen to this day.

I don’t know why people equate a good QB to how far or fast they can throw a football.  The best QBs that have ever played the game did not have the best of arms.  Brady, Montana, Manning, Brees come to mind.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Nah, I think thats part of it. Not Vick specifically, but someone like Vick. There's always been a bit of tension in the fan base once the Vick to Ryan transition happened. For the vast vast majority, folks wised up once they saw Ryan was in a different stratosphere as a QB. But there are a few that will always be turned off by Ryan's boring, ho-hum proficiency. He's not exciting, he's not flashy. He's just good. 

Truer words were never spoken.

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Byron Leftwich slung this ball 57 yards OFF HIS BACK FOOT with a collapsed pocket. He got hurt on this play thats how ferocious the rush was.  OVERTHREW the receiver OFF HIS BACK FOOT.   No room to step up into the pocket because there was NO POCKET.  This is why quarterbacks with big arms are a premium in the NFL.  Sometimes they got to be able to take it upon themselves and help the line out by making plays....

2o5yls.gif

I went to every home game the year Leftwich played quarterback.   I expected the ball to land in the stands or get stuck in the rafters every time he threw.

His strong arm lost the only 2 games he started with us.   He had a 55% completion rate - threw 1 touchdown and 2 picks.   He had a 4.8 average yards per attempt and a QBR of  7.7 - and no - that's not a typo   single digit 7 QBR with a 59.5 rating.

This is what you are trying to push as a premium in the NFL?

Why not go back and get some Jeff George footage.   This is such a fail.

 

 

Personally - I'd rather see a lob like this - with defenders all over him.    We did lose - but he was not the reason why we lost.

 

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

The stupidity of posts gets worse by the year. The problem with Matt Ryan (in the eyes of a lot of Falcons "fans") isn't that he has a bad arm, or a terrible O-line... It's that he's not Michael Vick. Despite Ryan being undoubtedly the best QB we've ever had by a longshot.

Ryan still stares down WRs.  Announcers say that all the time.  THAT'S a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BLM said:

Ryan still stares down WRs.  Announcers say that all the time.  THAT'S a problem.

Why is it a problem ?

He's completing 70%+ of his passes and he's thrown exactly 5 INTs this season. What exactly about him staring down WRs is causing a problem in his game? His 2.2% career INT rate ranks him 9th all time, and his 65.4% completion rate is 5th all time so staring down WRs isn't exactly creating a giant hole in his production.

TheUsualStuff and falcons007 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Why is it a problem ?

He's completing 70%+ of his passes and he's thrown exactly 5 INTs this season. What exactly about him staring down WRs is causing a problem in his game? His 2.2% career INT rate ranks him 9th all time, and his 65.4% completion rate is 5th all time so staring down WRs isn't exactly creating a giant hole in his production.

Rodney Harrison was saying that Ryan is going to Julio and not looking at other WR. Next snap he goes through 3 progressions,  hits the 3rd or 4 th option. Harrison complained why Ryan wasn’t looking at Julio. Folks bring that up.

Geneaut likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Rodney Harrison was saying that Ryan is going to Julio and not looking at other WR. Next snap he goes through 3 progressions,  hits the 3rd or 4 th option. Harrison complained why Ryan wasn’t looking at Julio. Folks bring that up.

Harrison picks boogers when no one is watching. Just saying.

Where is the negative evidence that Matt staring down a WR is causing some kind of issue is what I'm saying? Matt's presiding over a fairly decent offense here. It's not like teams are jumping routes and getting INTs, or knocking down tons of his passes. At worst he's leaving some plays on the field going to his primary read where a different read may have had a better gain, but frankly watch enough football and lots of good QBs do that.

If staring down a WR is such a sin why isn't it reflected in our production more? Leave 'W's out of this. I've heard this 'staring down' thing since Gonzo was here, and we've won far more games under Matty than we've lost.

I almost equate it to the old 'don't go swimming for an hour after you ate' thing we always used to hear.

Edited by Geneaut
TheUsualStuff likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When do we stop with the "strong arm" brigade stuff? 

On the list of essential QB traits, arm strength is pretty low. It's below pre-snap and post-snap processing. It's below accuracy. It's below placement. It's below touch. It's below anticipation. It's below both functional and actual mobility. 

Honestly, what is arm strength MORE important than for a QB? Height? Hand size? 

If you're above the threshold (which Matt Ryan most certainly is) you're fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't consistently stare down receivers and complete 70% of your passes and only throw 5 interceptions. That just doesn't happen. Does he have moments where it appears that is the case? Sure, because he's only got time to look at one guy before he has to get rid of the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Geneaut said:

Harrison picks boogers when no one is watching. Just saying.

Where is the negative evidence that Matt staring down a WR is causing some kind of issue is what I'm saying? Matt's presiding over a fairly decent offense here. It's not like teams are jumping routes and getting INTs, or knocking down tons of his passes. At worst he's leaving some plays on the field going to his primary read where a different read may have had a better gain, but frankly watch enough football and lots of good QBs do that.

If staring down a WR is such a sin why isn't it reflected in our production more? Leave 'W's out of this. I've heard this 'staring down' thing since Gonzo was here, and we've won far more games under Matty than we've lost.

I almost equate it to the old 'don't go swimming for an hour after you ate' thing we always used to hear.

Which QB doesn’t stare at WR under pressure when QB knows he has may be time for one or two reads.

Geneaut and TheUsualStuff like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Which QB doesn’t stare at WR under pressure when QB knows he has may be time for one or two reads.

I'll even counter and saying staring down his main target may be a plus for his particular style of game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now