Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IndiscreetGeek

Dan Quinn 'concerned' about all the hits Ryan is taking

85 posts in this topic

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000996067/article/dan-quinn-concerned-about-all-the-hits-ryan-is-taking

Behind an offensive line that morphed into a sieve, with no running game to take off pressure, Matt Ryan has become a sitting duck.

The Falcons offensive line has given up a league-high 91 QB hits, and Ryan has been sacked 36 times this season through 12 tilts. He's on pace for a career-high 48 sacks, which would beat the 44 he took in 2013. The Falcons finished 4-12 in 2013.

Sitting at 4-8, with the playoffs just a pipedream that coaches and player convince themselves remains relevant, watching Ryan take a beating has become an issue.

"Well, No. 1, I'm concerned about it because if we're not protecting him in the way that we can, then that gets hard," coach Dan Quinn said Monday, via Vaughn McClure of ESPN. "And there's some games that the score's out of whack and it turns into a dropback game where there's going to be more chances for a defense to go after him.

"At the end of it, yeah, I'm concerned. But I'm as concerned about us playing as well as we can. And if we do do that, and if we play better on some of the third downs and allow some of our run game to get going again, I would anticipate those numbers going back the other way in terms of hits on Matt."

Ryan has been sacked 12 times in the last three games alone as teams bring waves of blitz packages against a banged-up, underperforming offensive line. In eight of his 12 starts this season, the FalconsQB has been sacked at least three times (six twice).

The issue for the Falcons is how much punishment do they subject Ryan to in the final month of the season. Would putting their franchise quarterback in bubble-wrap be the answer?

Likely, Ryan's competitiveness, coupled with the message that could send to the rest of the players would stop the Falcons from sending the starting quarterback to the bench, at least before Week 17. Given that Matt Schaub is the backup, the Falcons don't have the built-in excuse of getting a young gun some live reps.

Quinn might be concerned about the hits Ryan is taking, but unless the Falcons change offensive philosophies in the final month of the season, the franchise signal-caller is likely to continue getting pounded until the season is mercifully over.

PokerSteve likes this

Part of the problem is that the most of the pass plays in this offense are long developing routes, and with no running game, that's just bad news.  This line can't hold up for 3+ seconds.

Against the Redskins, the Falcons had a game plan that had the ball out of Matt's hands quickly.  They haven't been able to do that in the 4 games since though.  Sarkisian is just getting straight whipped by opposing DCs.

9 minutes ago, IndiscreetGeek said:

"Well, No. 1, I'm concerned about it because if we're not protecting him in the way that we can, then that gets hard," coach Dan Quinn said 

If they aren't protecting him in the way that they can, why are they not? This guy is loaded with phrases that just show how inept he has become. 

10 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Part of the problem is that the most of the pass plays in this offense are long developing routes, and with no running game, that's just bad news.  This line can't hold up for 3+ seconds.

Against the Redskins, the Falcons had a game plan that had the ball out of Matt's hands quickly.  They haven't been able to do that in the 4 games since though.  Sarkisian is just getting straight whipped by opposing DCs.

They did on the first drive Sunday....then kind a let that go. I remember the long developing pass plays ending Koetter's career here during the 2013-14 seasons. Ridley and Jones excel in getting open in space and turning small plays into big ones. Let's get to that.

20 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Should've gotten the Panthers Guard in the off season if he was concerned, but he is addicted to NFC west rejects.

With what cap space? Ok...

6 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Dude making a $2M base this year. Could've easily afforded him rather than paid fusco and mcclain.

Right, since his cap hit isn't 16m next year.  He wasn't taking a 1 year 5 million dollar deal.  Add to that he has been average this year his 14m yearly salary doesn't look all that great right now.

7 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Dude making a $2M base this year. Could've easily afforded him rather than paid fusco and mcclain.

$5MM cap hit year one with a lot of cap tied up in future years. But go ahead and believe we could have paid anybody a 5 yr $67MM deal last offseason. 

By the way, he's also on IR so not like we'd be in a different situation this year than we are with Fusco...

6 minutes ago, vel said:

$5MM cap hit year one with a lot of cap tied up in future years. But go ahead and believe we could have paid anybody a 5 yr $67MM deal last offseason. 

By the way, he's also on IR so not like we'd be in a different situation this year than we are with Fusco...

We'd still have a good OG tied up for the future rather than a bunch of overpaid garbage like Sharter and Fusco to look forward to next season.

1 minute ago, osiruz said:

We'd still have a good OG tied up for the future rather than a bunch of overpaid garbage like Sharter and Fusco to look forward to next season.

We'd still have a shltty guard situation this year with Ryan getting abused. 

Who says we don't fix the OG situation this offseason? 

Vandy likes this

3 minutes ago, vel said:

Need 2 OGs, RT, DT, and pass rushers.

Just going by the numbers game BOTH guard positions are unlikely to get the high dollar treatment.  Most likely one gets a high pick/FA and the other is still Schwitzer/Fusco.

sdogg and osiruz like this

3 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Need 2 OGs, RT, DT, and pass rushers.

Just going by the numbers game BOTH guard positions are unlikely to get the high dollar treatment.  Most likely one gets a high pick/FA and the other is still Schwitzer/Fusco.

RT is less pressing. As much as Schraeder has looked bad, not having a good RG has been worse. Let Matt have a clean pocket to step up into and suddenly #73 doesn't look terrible. We can live with him for one more season. We can't with Wes and Garland/Fusco. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if they went RT in the first with Jonah Williams or Greg Little if they spend more money on the DL in FA. Guys like Richardson and Wilkerson just signed one year deals for $8MM and $5MM. I could live with both of those guys being added for $13MM combined. 

Again, we also have 4 picks in the top 100 plus a potential 4th round comp. Five picks. With around $25MM conservatively and very few needs not on the line of scrimmage, if we can't find 5 players with that kind of capital, then we have a problem. Especially when this draft is deep on both lines. 

16 minutes ago, vel said:

RT is actually more pressing, and we really need atleast one good guard, good luck lol. We will probably fill those holes with Niner and Seahawk roster cuts.

sdogg likes this

1 hour ago, Peyton said:

Correct. We've really pulled back on the number of quick hitting routes in the offense, IMO.

And when teams "need" to get pressure (3rd down, etc.) they get it ~90% of the time. Whether thats on Matt or Sark, I dont know. But either way, its not sustainable. 

I’d sit Ryan down for the year. Same with Takk, Deion, Julio and Grady. I see no reason to even attempt to win a single game at this point, nor risk long term injury to these players. Teams in other sports tank all the time and it’s how you end up with franchise-turnaround centrepiece players like an Auston Matthews, Sidney Crosby or Lebron James. Falcons fans aren’t showing up to games anyway. 

1 minute ago, Falcanuck said:

I’d sit Ryan down for the year. Same with Takk, Deion, Julio and Grady. I see no reason to even attempt to win a single game at this point, nor risk long term injury to these players. Teams in other sports tank all the time and it’s how you end up with franchise-turnaround centrepiece players like an Auston Matthews, Sidney Crosby or Lebron James. Falcons fans aren’t showing up to games anyway. 

Football doesnt work this way.