VTCrunkler

Urban Meyer steps down at OSU

47 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, E. T. said:

That would be a good move for Ga tech, if they're willing to pursue him. But he comes with a price tag also.

They could  do it...

41 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I'm just saying the dude's track record is he changes his mind a lot lol. It's wishful thinking on my part.  I'd like to see GT stop sucking.

yeah meyer is a heck of a coach, but there would be no way he would ever go to GT.  Paul johnson said the poor fan support and administration support was a big issue for him for many years .  That has been a complaint of CPJ for a while.   You guys will most likely get a guy like whisenhunt who hasn't coached in college in what 20 plus years or a young coach who is trying to cut his teeth as a head coach which isn't a horrible thing btw, but that right now is what you guys need to do to make that transition.  whoever you hire better not try and change gt to a prostyle system.  you guys need to go to a spread option so your transition doesn't take 3 plus years.  i am just happy you guys are going away from that chop block offense where you knock out a dlinemen of ours or 2 ever year.  i can enjoying gt sucking for a while.. LOL  :)

20 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

yeah meyer is a heck of a coach, but there would be no way he would ever go to GT.  Paul johnson said the poor fan support and administration support was a big issue for him for many years .  That has been a complaint of CPJ for a while.   You guys will most likely get a guy like whisenhunt who hasn't coached in college in what 20 plus years or a young coach who is trying to cut his teeth as a head coach which isn't a horrible thing btw, but that right now is what you guys need to do to make that transition.  whoever you hire better not try and change gt to a prostyle system.  you guys need to go to a spread option so your transition doesn't take 3 plus years.  i am just happy you guys are going away from that chop block offense where you knock out a dlinemen of ours or 2 ever year.  i can enjoying gt sucking for a while.. LOL  :)

What Tech needs more than anything is a coach that can recruit.  Whisenhunt is a good offensive mind, but I don't know how well he would do at recruiting, something he has no relevant recent experience with.

But reportedly he has already been offered the job and has 48 hours to accept.  We'll see what happens.

11 minutes ago, Peyton said:

What Tech needs more than anything is a coach that can recruit.  Whisenhunt is a good offensive mind, but I don't know how well he would do at recruiting, something he has no relevant recent experience with.

But reportedly he has already been offered the job and has 48 hours to accept.  We'll see what happens.

The reason you guys offered whisenhunt is due to his relationship with the AD.  yes he is a good coach, but i don't see how he is the best hire for you guys.  you need a coach who can recruit as you said and a guy who hasn't recruited in 20 plus years makes no freaking sense.  i am a bit stunned you guys aren't giving tony elliot from clemson a shot.  he would be a great hire IMO.  it sounds like if whisenhunt says no your next option is geoff collins from temple. 

2 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Yep. His medical issues and overall health are among the big reasons I think he may be done for good.

wasn't that supposedly why he left Florida??  Not being a SA, I really thought that

Shelley Meyer heard Urban was going to retire 8 months ago via text messages. Urban is just now finding out about it.

He said in his statement he "believes " he won't coach again. Leaving the door open, very sneaking. 

He left Fl to be with family and his health.  He professed dream job opens and all of a sudden he is in good health and family is all good.

I think it got too hot at OS with assistant coach and not making playoffs again.

He will be back, FSU would make for some fun rivalry fun with Fl!

7 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

No way Ga Tech is going to pay what it would cost to get Urban Meyer. They probably pay their HC about 20 percent of what the HC's make at other major schools.

But after all he's been through, he may be done as a football coach.

Agreed

8 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Yep. His medical issues and overall health are among the big reasons I think he may be done for good.

8 hours ago, Peyton said:

I think that is somewhat because of the scandal, OSU took so much heat for not firing him.

6 hours ago, papachaz said:

wasn't that supposedly why he left Florida??  Not being a SA, I really thought that

ok I was just reading up on this. I'm going to post a quote, part of the article. Take it however suits you, but I think he's done.

Meyer is leaving at the top of his career after three national championships and seven years at the Big Ten school, where he has an 82-9 record. The 54-year-old Meyer has an arachnoid cyst in his brain that causes severe headaches, and had shown obvious effects of being in pain on the sideline this season.

At a packed news conference, Meyer explained that the headaches became severe last season during Ohio State's game at Penn State and have become a persistent problem this season. But he didn't blame only his health for stepping away. Meyer said he believed he could no longer coach the way he has always coached, from the early days at Bowling Green to Utah, Florida and finally with the Buckeyes.

PokerSteve likes this

2 hours ago, BamaBirdLady said:

He said in his statement he "believes " he won't coach again. Leaving the door open, very sneaking. 

He left Fl to be with family and his health.  He professed dream job opens and all of a sudden he is in good health and family is all good.

I think it got too hot at OS with assistant coach and not making playoffs again.

He will be back, FSU would make for some fun rivalry fun with Fl!

USC coach in 2020. Watch

8 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

Shelley Meyer heard Urban was going to retire 8 months ago via text messages. Urban is just now finding out about it.

I laughed. 

But Urban probably found out 8 months ago he was going to be "retired" at the end of this year. Regardless of whether he really wanted too or not. 

Edited by RandomFan

You have to wonder if this was worked out at the beginning of the season with Meyer being allowed to finish out the season and then retire quietly. The timing is weird considering they immediately announced Day as the replacement right in time to ease any doubts with recruits. 

Nothing about this passes the smell test.  Why would he want to stick around and teach?  Do you think he might be waiting to see how the whole Justin Fields thing plays out and then magically heal in time to coach another few years?

2 minutes ago, Cockybrit said:

Nothing about this passes the smell test.  Why would he want to stick around and teach?  Do you think he might be waiting to see how the whole Justin Fields thing plays out and then magically heal in time to coach another few years?

He probably already forgot why he retired. Again.