Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falconcheff

So I guess it's finally time to get something off my chest...

5 posts in this topic

I have been wondering since the beginning of the season... why do we put in a "Jumbo" package to try to convert a short yardage run play?  How is it a good idea to pack every beefy body from both teams into a little space and then try to run through it?

Does anybody here think that we should be virtually unstoppable on anything 3 yards or less by stretching out a defense into a 3 Wide, weakside TE, single back formation, and let Ryan put us in the best position out of that formation?Julio wide right, TE right side, Ridley Wide left, Sanu in the slot on the left, TeCo in the backfield...because even a pass comes out quick, Oline's ONLY job is to fire off in run block...

If Julio goes to the fade, Hoop goes to the flat for an easy catch...

Hoop motions to the left side, taking the LB with him, TeCo runs off tackle right or Julio crosses for the catch...

Sanu quick slant or he can block the LB if we run TeCo to the left

Sanu slants and Ridley wide open for the cross...

With all these weapons, I just don't understand why we would ever just line up in an obvious run formation and obviously run it...?

Yeah especially when our guards are sub par to most dlines. I would bunch formation 4 wr. Sanu and Julio can block as good as TEs. I think we have a much better chance at converting against 3-4 corners than a jumbo defensive set

You're right, but the best teams do both jumbo runs and spread out passing. We don't seem to be great at either, although too many people criticize based on the outcome. 

JC Falcon likes this

Teams do spread and beef packages for short yardage. They also do a spread package with a QB sneak for a yard. 

But it takes Guards my good man.  Guards I say!

Edited by JC Falcon