Atl Falcon

What’s our salary cap looking like for next year

104 posts in this topic

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Rookies usually struggle in year one. 

Agreed, but if we combo draft picks and FA I think we should be fine. 

28 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

So far you haven't upgraded the roster. Who are the new players to get to a 53 man roster? What do they cost? Here are the open roster spots (plus any cap casualties):

• QB – Matt Ryan, OPEN
  • WR – Julio Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Calvin Ridley, Russell Gage, OPEN
  • RB – Devonta Freeman, Ito Smith, Brian Hill, Ricky Ortiz, OPEN
  • TE – Austin Hooper, Eric Saubert, OPEN
  • OC – Alex Mack, OPEN
  • OG – Brandon Fusco, Wes Schweitzer, OPEN, OPEN
  • OT – Jake Matthews, Ryan Schraeder, Matt Gono, OPEN
  • DE – Vic Beasley, Takkarist McKinley, Brooks Reed, OPEN, OPEN
  • DT – Jack Crawford, Deadrin Senat, OPEN, OPEN
  • LB – Deion Jones, De’Vondre Campbell, Foyesade Oluokun, Duke Riley, OPEN, OPEN
  • CB – Desmond Trufant, Robert Alford, Isaiah Oliver, OPEN, OPEN
  • FS – Ricardo Allen, Damontae Kazee
  • SS – Keanu Neal, Sharrod Neasman,
  • K – Matt Bryant, Giorgio Tavecchio
  • P – Matt Bosher
  • LS – Josh Harris

I never attempted to "upgrade the roster" with some mock scenario. Just stated cutting Vic, Alford, and Reed isn't some doomsday scenario you seem to think. 

2 minutes ago, vel said:

I never attempted to "upgrade the roster" with some mock scenario. Just stated cutting Vic, Alford, and Reed isn't some doomsday scenario you seem to think. 

If you cut those three you will need to add 19 players to get to a 53 man roster. At least four of them will need to be starters. Not impossible with $51M but that's not as much as it seems when you have to add 19 players. Especially if you want to upgrade the DLine and OLine.

16 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

GJ  contract scares me....I hope we don’t over pay.  He’s a good player but no where near F Cox A Donald KK Short and even geno Atkins 

It should not. its a bad season for the Falcons defense, and no DT on this team stops the run (first). Awful stunts like the ones that CBS Sports analyzed don't help, but.

Also. #6-8 draft pick should be a DT (or the regime is on a 1-season deal). D-Linemen are all-over the Top-10.

No-trade-downs for picks and projects. It is time to draft a difference-maker.

Edited by Rise

22 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

If you cut those three you will need to add 19 players to get to a 53 man roster. At least four of them will need to be starters. Not impossible with $51M but that's not as much as it seems when you have to add 19 players. Especially if you want to upgrade the DLine and OLine.

Again, you're throwing out a bunch that doesn't matter. Keep those guys and you still need to add 16 players to get a 53 man roster and you have $25MM less cap space to do it. Reed isn't bringing you much. Vic isn't a $13MM player. You can cut him and bring him back much cheaper than that. Cutting Alford leaves you with Tru, Oliver, Kazee, Poole, Wreh-Wilson. 

But again, I know you like to dramatize things. 

Vandy and Atl Falcon like this

7 hours ago, Peyton said:

I think there is a good 50% chance Jarrett signs somewhere else. He can't be pleased that the Falcons paid everybody but him when he was the guy with the smallest rookie contract.

I wouldn't be surprised if GJ was picked up by the Patriots of the Falcons don't re-sign him.

3 minutes ago, vel said:

Again, you're throwing out a bunch that doesn't matter. Keep those guys and you still need to add 16 players to get a 53 man roster and you have $25MM less cap space to do it. Reed isn't bringing you much. Vic isn't a $13MM player. You can cut him and bring him back much cheaper than that. Cutting Alford leaves you with Tru, Oliver, Kazee, Poole, Wreh-Wilson. 

I agree that financially it's not that difficult.  I'm just not sure there ends up being a good football team there.

25 minutes ago, vel said:

Your're re-building. You might as well fire everyone now.

The threat of Beasley rushing opened doors for Jarret and the others.

There are no free-agents or NCAA DEs with his speed in this coming draft.

Irvin is not enough. He could be a mentor.

Get a monster DT in the 1st round lining-up next to him like Ed Oliver or Wiliams, and take your chances next season.

Cut the mid-level D-Linemen.

Get Beasley another mentor, and see.

Beasley is light, and he needs a bigger DT terror next to him, not a few more  5'11" 280 lbs. 5th rounders. The time is now. This is no time to prove how smart they are by finding supposed "Diamonds" at the bottom of the draft.

They need to stop the run at DT first, and be able to run the ball effectively next season.. Then, they can force opposing teams inot obvious passing situations.

The Falcons are drafting interior D-Linemen and O-Linemen too low.

vitaman likes this

17 minutes ago, vel said:

Beasley is leaving or wil be taken by a 3-4 team that knows whow to use him, and coach him.

If he rips another 20-sack season then, its going to be awful herel:D

You are sparing the staff of blame and listing to The Game.

They are broadcasters.

The scheme is flawed here, and Ryan and The Falcons O-Line cannot substain drives to protect it, and rest it.

Beasley is still the best DE from that draft.

Quinn was Gus Bradley's D-Line coach with The Seahawks.

Gus Bradley uses the scheme much better as DC of The Chargers this year.

Their D-Line is bigger with Pro Bowl players next to Bosa.

The Falcons re-signed Ryan, and did not release Sanu after drafting WR Ridley.

Now, they are giving Gage more snaps because that is what they may be planning to do anyway.

They waited so long to even try to sign a DT of quality next to Jarrett.

#6 pick in The NFL Draft fixes the DT/NT position here cheaply for 4-5 seasons. A big tall NT with long arms who can knock-down passes, and obstruct the view of opposing QBs.

No "Bargain Basement Shopping" in the first round.

Edited by Rise

6 hours ago, vel said:

We'll have a very good chunk of change to play with next year, the most since after the 2015 season when we added Mack and Sanu.

Right now, we have around $28MM in cap space. Cutting three guys in Vic, Reed, and Alford, simple cuts that won't negatively impact the roster as is, adds another $25MM, putting us around $53MM

As of now, the only FAs I see us bringing back are:

Grady Jarrett
Bruce Irvin
Terrell McClain
Kemal Ishmael
Bruce Carter
Blidi Wreh Wilson
Brian Poole (RFA)
Marvin Hall (ERFA)

Everyone except the top two total $5.4MM in cap space today. I doubt any of those guys are getting raises that would substantially impact the cap. Even if you resign Grady and give him a deal similar to Jurrell Casey, at $15MM per year (4yr $60MM extension), none of his cap hits are above $15MM. So, let's take $15MM for Grady year one (not likely), that puts us at around $30MM cap space with Grady on board and cash to go after another couple of players. And that's with no other cuts or restructures. 

Throw in four picks in the top 100 and a potential fourth round comp pick (Poe) and the Falcons are in a very good position to bounce back. 

Where does it go with Julio getting a new contract

17 minutes ago, Rise said:

Your're re-building. You might as well fire everyone now.

The threat of Beasley rushing opened doors for Jarret and the others.

There are no free-agents or NCAA DEs with his speed in this coming draft.

Irvin is not enough. He could be a mentor.

Get a monster DT in the 1st round lining-up next to him like Ed Oliver or Wiliams, and take your chances next season.

Cut the mid-level D-Linemen.

Get Beasley another mentor, and see.

Beasley is light, and he needs a bigger DT terror next to him, not a few more  5'11" 280 lbs. 5th rounders. The time is now. This is no time to prove how smart they are by finding supposed "Diamonds" at the bottom of the draft.

They need to stop the run at DT first, and be able to run the ball effectively next season.. Then, they can force opposing teams inot obvious passing situations.

The Falcons are drafting interior D-Linemen and O-Linemen too low.

Keep Beasley.....really????

1 minute ago, Atl Falcon said:

Where does it go with Julio getting a new contract

Expect none of those players he has listed there returning, but Jarrett.

1 hour ago, federicofalcon2 said:

The problem with this is that if we dont bring back Poole we risk the chance of playing Kazee and having to fill another backup spot for both nickel and backup safety.  Poole may not be as good as Kazee so he doesn't need to start but he knows the system and would provide depth to both spots, especially if we get rid of Alford and are forced to move Oliver outside with Tru

While there is that...I think we can find another pool later in the draft or as udfa......such as pool was

1 minute ago, Atl Falcon said:

The Falcons aren't cutting him. 

They aren't offering him a huge extension before next season either.

He will have to improve, and the play-calling will improve.

The problem (then): He may cost a lot more

Even if Jarrett leaves in Free Agency, they have options at DT in the first round. They would still have Senat.

5 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

There is still enough there to think that he can be a player.

If he just wrapped up better he would have around 7 sacks to this point.

Paying him over 12 million is not ideal  but maybe we can work out a short term extension that  is heavy in the incentives.

1 hour ago, Peyton said:

I agree that financially it's not that difficult.  I'm just not sure there ends up being a good football team there.

I disagree. Reed brings a bunch of nothing at this point. If DQ can't find a replacement for him, shoot me. Alford is on his last legs and we have a very deep secondary. We drafted Oliver to play on the outside, considering he has no experience and hasn't seen a single snap at nickel this year. They can't cut Tru. Vic has been a bum. We're literally talking about three guys here. 

1 hour ago, Rise said:

Beasley is leaving or wil be taken by a 3-4 team that knows whow to use him, and coach him.

If he rips another 20-sack season then, its going to be awful herel:D

You are sparing the staff of blame and listing to The Game.

They are broadcasters.

The scheme is flawed here, and Ryan and The Falcons O-Line cannot substain drives to protect it, and rest it.

Beasley is still the best DE from that draft.

Quinn was Gus Bradley's D-Line coach with The Seahawks.

Gus Bradley uses the scheme much better as DC of The Chargers this year.

Their D-Line is bigger with Pro Bowl players next to Bosa.

The Falcons re-signed Ryan, and did not release Sanu after drafting WR Ridley.

Now, they are giving Gage more snaps because that is what they may be planning to do anyway.

They waited so long to even try to sign a DT of quality next to Jarrett.

#6 pick in The NFL Draft fixes the DT/NT position here cheaply for 4-5 seasons. A big tall NT with long arms who can knock-down passes, and obstruct the view of opposing QBs.

No "Bargain Basement Shopping" in the first round.

Better than Danielle Hunter and Frank Clark? I don't think so. If he doesn't improve, Preston Smith, Za'Darius Smith, Markus Golden and Bud Dupree will all be better. They're arguably better now.

ATL Fan in the DMV and vitaman like this

8 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

And maybe he’d be better with better players beside him

He would be better in a better Scheme. This scheme is limiting a lot of players. 

If Quinn stays next year, and he probably will, he needs to take a HARD look at his scheme and the people who are drafting players for it and responsible for coaching it. I have a bad feeling that many of our players are miscast in a scheme that isn't quite right for them - only to go elsewhere and then take off.

Despite the injuries we had, there should be no sacred cows on this team. We need to get with the new way of the NFL, and our team as currently constructed can't run, can't block, and can't defend. That won't get it done. And we have too many players contributing to this. Our decision makers need to be intentional, decisive, and shrewd if we are going to rebound next year and compete for a deep run before our old stars fall off a cliff (like Ryan, Julio and Mack).

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

While there is that...I think we can find another pool later in the draft or as udfa......such as pool was

I also agree with that possibility.  But unless someone gives him a mega contract, we should be able to offer him a decent wage minimum value for a year and have him supply decent depth and play for at least a year until we for sure have a replacement.  We argued that losing Poe and Clayborn without replacing them with adequate players was a big mistake and it has shown so far this year with our defense.  Senat is good but not enough yet to justify the loss of Poe and injuries to Takk showed that we did not have suitable backups to rely on.  I feel IF they choose to cut loose on Alford, we should make a decent effort to retain Poole because he won't cost nearly as much IMO and should Kazee or Allen get injured again and we have to shuffle players he will not need much of an adjustment.  Remember if we are looking to cut players to get some cap space, I noted before that Reed, Alford and Beasley could be cut and we would have another 25 million to be able to spend.  The PROBLEM with that is that is 3 contributors that we would need to replace immediately.  If we choose to draft DT/DE with our first pick in the draft that COULD settle the Beasly release.  Oliver then could slide to outside replacing Alford, replacing that one, and then we could sign a FA or 2 to replace Reed or even stick with Crawford in his place.  I think we may be able to let these guys go, but we need to be careful and not let them go and not have a suitable player in his place or else we will be just as bad as we were this year either in the general sense or in the case we should suffer injuries in a collective matter as we did this year.  

30 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Better than Danielle Hunter and Frank Clark? I don't think so. If he doesn't improve, Preston Smith, Za'Darius Smith, Markus Golden and Bud Dupree will all be better. They're arguably better now.

Lol not even arguable 

18 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

GJ  contract scares me....I hope we don’t over pay.  He’s a good player but no where near F Cox A Donald KK Short and even geno Atkins 

I'd actually say he's pretty close to belonging in that group and has taken yet another step forward this year. Lock him up and draft his equal to stand beside him. Dominate the middle and what every warm bodies you have rushing off the edges suddenly become super stars. 

13 hours ago, jfalconsp said:

Agreed. I think Sanu stays. I'd get rid of Beasley, Alford, Schraeder, and Reed.

For Beasley, Alford, and Reed, it makes sense for the money we get. I think Reed is just a body at the point of next year and can be replaced with a draft pick, and we have the depth to get rid of Alford with Trufant/Oliver/Poole/Kazee. Schraeder isn't a huge cap savings, but his play has been so bad he has to be replaced. Beasley has flashed, but not for $13 mil. Jury is out on Fusco.

I'd keep Beasley risk that cap hit.

If you release Beasley that means your replacing 3 DEs on the roster I'd keep him add a draft pick and keep Irvin.Then hit DT early and a G/T in the 2nd or 3rd round.

federicofalcon2 likes this

It’s looking bad. I want so seriously to explain the personnel and system and why we are basically running the exact wrong defense for our players when healthy. 

If done right, we would only need to add a few average pieces in FA and pay our guys. Now I’m not so sure

vitaman likes this