Jump to content

What’s our salary cap looking like for next year


Atl Falcon
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to overthecap we have $24.4m for 2019.

This is with players like, Coleman, Jarrett, Levitre, Shelby, Irvin, Poole, Hardy, Hall etc as impending free agents.

We are more than likely going to sign Jarrett to a juicy contract, for how much we don't know yet.

I could also see us keeping Hall, Richards, Poole etc on cheap contracts. (Hall could potentially be paid better elsewhere)

If we cut Alford, Reed, Schraeder and Fusco that would give us about $20m extra cap space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

According to overthecap we have $24.4m for 2019.

This is with players like, Coleman, Jarrett, Levitre, Shelby, Irvin, Poole, Hardy, Hall etc as impending free agents.

We are more than likely going to sign Jarrett to a juicy contract, for how much we don't know yet.

I could also see us keeping Hall, Richards, Poole etc on cheap contracts. (Hall could potentially be paid better elsewhere)

If we cut Alford, Reed, Schraeder and Fusco that would give us about $20m extra cap space.

Personally I think we should move on from pool unless he comes super cheap.

Kazee  or Rico can fill his role with the team

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looked like the salary cap was going to be tight next year, but turns out a lot of these high priced parts are broken or just have gotten old real fast. 

I think the Falcons team is going to be a lot of new faces next year.....probably a record number of undrafted free agents on this team next year.  But the cap number should be fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, quotemokc said:

According to overthecap we have $24.4m for 2019.

This is with players like, Coleman, Jarrett, Levitre, Shelby, Irvin, Poole, Hardy, Hall etc as impending free agents.

We are more than likely going to sign Jarrett to a juicy contract, for how much we don't know yet.

I could also see us keeping Hall, Richards, Poole etc on cheap contracts. (Hall could potentially be paid better elsewhere)

If we cut Alford, Reed, Schraeder and Fusco that would give us about $20m extra cap space.

I think there is a good 50% chance Jarrett signs somewhere else. He can't be pleased that the Falcons paid everybody but him when he was the guy with the smallest rookie contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I think there is a good 50% chance Jarrett signs somewhere else. He can't be pleased that the Falcons paid everybody but him when he was the guy with the smallest rookie contract.

While I like Jarrett and he sometimes plays with a great intensity, see his tackle in the backfield this past week, I don't know if the defense is any worse without him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jesus said:

While I like Jarrett and he sometimes plays with a great intensity, see his tackle in the backfield this past week, I don't know if the defense is any worse without him. 

It's true that when a defense has holes or a number of guys playing badly that one guy playing well cannot make up for it.  But losing Jarrett will decrease the chances that the defense could be very good next year. 

It's been a really revealing season, and we got a classic look at what happens to these NFL players in a short time frame.  Guys that could play a year or two ago....all of a sudden they can't play.

The Falcons have gone from loaded to time to rebuild stunningly fast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Peyton said:

It's true that when a defense has holes or a number of guys playing badly that one guy playing well cannot make up for it.  But losing Jarrett will decrease the chances that the defense could be very good next year. 

It's been a really revealing season, and we got a classic look at what happens to these NFL players in a short time frame.  Guys that could play a year or two ago....all of a sudden they can't play.

The Falcons have gone from loaded to time to rebuild stunningly fast.

The game is going through changes it probably can't recover from. Guys approaching 30 realize that their minds and bodies are much more valuable than they have in the past. The average NFL career is going to get very short, like college football short. 

The nice thing is it is very easy to rebuild quickly, as long as you find the right guys to do it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I think there is a good 50% chance Jarrett signs somewhere else. He can't be pleased that the Falcons paid everybody but him when he was the guy with the smallest rookie contract.

It seems like Jarrett was always in the Falcons plans, the other contracts were just pretty straight forward in comparison.  Also a high chance that Jarrett was betting on himself to ball out this season and up his value before committing to a new contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, IA Falcon07 said:

It seems like Jarrett was always in the Falcons plans, the other contracts were just pretty straight forward in comparison.  Also a high chance that Jarrett was betting on himself to ball out this season and up his value before committing to a new contract.

The Falcons extended Devonta with a year left, extended Desmond Trufant with a year left, extended Ryan with a year left, extended Matthews with a year left, extended Rico with a year left, and converted a few mil in bonus money for Julio just to help him save face. Basically gave money early to any player who was any good at all.

Meanwhile Grady is 4 games from playing out his entire contract at a total of 2.5 mil.

If it was too complicated for the Falcons and Grady to work out a deal when the Falcons were bidding against nobody, I can't imagine that it's going to be that easy for them to make a deal now that they will have to bid against everybody.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We'll have a very good chunk of change to play with next year, the most since after the 2015 season when we added Mack and Sanu.

Right now, we have around $28MM in cap space. Cutting three guys in Vic, Reed, and Alford, simple cuts that won't negatively impact the roster as is, adds another $25MM, putting us around $53MM

As of now, the only FAs I see us bringing back are:

Grady Jarrett
Bruce Irvin
Terrell McClain
Kemal Ishmael
Bruce Carter
Blidi Wreh Wilson
Brian Poole (RFA)
Marvin Hall (ERFA)

Everyone except the top two total $5.4MM in cap space today. I doubt any of those guys are getting raises that would substantially impact the cap. Even if you resign Grady and give him a deal similar to Jurrell Casey, at $15MM per year (4yr $60MM extension), none of his cap hits are above $15MM. So, let's take $15MM for Grady year one (not likely), that puts us at around $30MM cap space with Grady on board and cash to go after another couple of players. And that's with no other cuts or restructures. 

Throw in four picks in the top 100 and a potential fourth round comp pick (Poe) and the Falcons are in a very good position to bounce back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Peyton said:

The Falcons extended Devontae with a year left, extended Desmond Trufant with a year left, extended Ryan with a year left, extended Matthews with a year left, extended Rico with a year left, and converted a few mil in bonus money for Julio just to help him save face. Basically gave money early to any player who was any good at all.

Meanwhile Grady is 4 games from playing out his entire contract at a total of 2.5 mil.

If it was too complicated for the Falcons and Grady to work out a deal when the Falcons were bidding against nobody, I can't imagine that it's going to be that easy for them to make a deal now that they will have to bid against everybody.

At the end of the day it takes two parties, if Jarrett thought he was going to have an Arnold Donald type year there is every chance he was the one that was waiting after the offer on the table.  Jarrett himself mentioned he thought 2017 would be his breakout year and while he played great he only had 4 sacks.  It isn't unlike players to bet on themselves.  Could he go to a team that way overpays? sure, but don't think it would be because he wasn't in the Falcons plans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Peyton said:

The Falcons extended Devonta with a year left, extended Desmond Trufant with a year left, extended Ryan with a year left, extended Matthews with a year left, extended Rico with a year left, and converted a few mil in bonus money for Julio just to help him save face. Basically gave money early to any player who was any good at all.

Meanwhile Grady is 4 games from playing out his entire contract at a total of 2.5 mil.

If it was too complicated for the Falcons and Grady to work out a deal when the Falcons were bidding against nobody, I can't imagine that it's going to be that easy for them to make a deal now that they will have to bid against everybody.

I disagree. You're definitely a more cynical guy, but I think they just couldn't agree on Grady's value. Is he a top five DT? Who knows. I think his team wanted to see Aaron Donald's contract to gauge how to slot Grady more than anything. Look at how "underpaid" Devonta is now at $8MM per year. If he could have signed after Gurley and Johnson and Bell, he'd be making more than $8MM. I think Grady and his team did the same and wanted this year to show his worth to the defense to cement his value. 

Grady isn't going anywhere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, vel said:

I disagree. You're definitely a more cynical guy, but I think they just couldn't agree on Grady's value. Is he a top five DT? Who knows. I think his team wanted to see Aaron Donald's contract to gauge how to slot Grady more than anything. Look at how "underpaid" Devonta is now at $8MM per year. If he could have signed after Gurley and Johnson and Bell, he'd be making more than $8MM. I think Grady and his team did the same and wanted this year to show his worth to the defense to cement his value. 

Grady isn't going anywhere. 

I think the fact that the Falcons and Grady couldn't agree on Grady's value is obvious, so we agree on that.

You think the opinion that letting a guy reach URFA makes it less likely he will be resigned is "cynical"?  Seems like common sense to me.

Grady isn't anywhere near top 5 in my opinion, which makes it tricky to franchise him.  That be a pretty big chunk of change for one year for him.

I do think some people think Grady has some unquestioned loyalty to the Falcons because his father is a Falcons legend, but I think that is extremely naïve thinking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I think the fact that the Falcons and Grady couldn't agree on Grady's value is obvious, so we agree on that.

You think the opinion that letting a guy reach URFA makes it less likely he will be resigned is "cynical"?  Seems like common sense to me.

Grady isn't anywhere near top 5 in my opinion, which makes it tricky to franchise him.  That be a pretty big chunk of change for one year for him.

I do think some people think Grady has some unquestioned loyalty to the Falcons because his father is a Falcons legend, but I think that is extremely naïve thinking.

Putting it at 50/50 I think is cynical. Again, if they couldn't reach an agreement on value and wanted to use this year as the one to provide a clearer picture, then I think it's fair on both sides. Especially with Donald resetting the market. It made no sense to sign before Donald on Grady's end. If he thought he was primed for a break out season, don't sign for below market. 

I agree he isn't a top 5 DT. That's why I also agree it's hard to peg his value. I've always seen him as similar to Jurrell Casey, who's making $15MM per. If Grady hadn't gotten hurt and the rest of the defense was healthy, I think he has an 8 sack type year (he's got four already), which would have put him in that Casey realm. But without more than a 4 sack season last offseason, how do you justify double digits for Jarrett? 

Again, he's not going anywhere near Free Agency because DQ and TD aren't plum idiots. Letting Jarrett walk would put the laser eyes on both of them from Blank. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As Vel and Peyton mentioned and I put in another thread, we are in a better spot than I thought. We have like $29 mil in cap space right now and can easily free up some cap space by cutting under performing players:

- Beasley: $12,810,000 savings - no dead cap

- Alford: $7,900,000 savings - $1,200,000 dead cap

- Schraeder: $3,950,000 savings - $3,800,000 dead cap

- Fusco: $3,350,000 savings - $1,500,000 dead cap

- Reed: $4,500,000 savings - $940,000 dead cap

- Sanu: $4,600,000 savings - $2,800,000 dead cap (don't want this, but the option is there)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guys you got to factor in the 18m Julio is about to get paid per year avg, after we do that, and let's say we sign Grady as well we got enough to sign probably one decent free agent which needs to be amother linemen , id like to make push to get Saffold from the rams

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DMT11 said:

Guys you got to factor in the 18m Julio is about to get paid per year avg, after we do that, and let's say we sign Grady as well we got enough to sign probably one decent free agent which needs to be amother linemen , id like to make push to get Saffold from the rams

He is already on the books for $14 mil next year so its not like $18 mil is getting added to our cap space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, quotemokc said:

According to overthecap we have $24.4m for 2019.

This is with players like, Coleman, Jarrett, Levitre, Shelby, Irvin, Poole, Hardy, Hall etc as impending free agents.

We are more than likely going to sign Jarrett to a juicy contract, for how much we don't know yet.

I could also see us keeping Hall, Richards, Poole etc on cheap contracts. (Hall could potentially be paid better elsewhere)

If we cut Alford, Reed, Schraeder and Fusco that would give us about $20m extra cap space.

Hall is an ERFA and Poole is a RFA, so you can believe they will be on our team next year for cheap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...