Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DirtybyrdGA

Hawks December game thread

142 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

No, not really. Don't know why you're so invested right now--everybody knows the Hawks are rebuilding. Most of the squad hasn't played more than two years in the league. They're going up against one of the top teams in the NBA on the road. How exactly did you think this was going to end? Secondly, if you were really paying attention, much of those points early on were the result of turnovers, not just bad defense. When you commit 24 turnovers, it's easy to see lopsided scores in a quarter when the other team is getting extra possessions and easy baskets because of them.

You really need to start putting this season in its proper perspective, otherwise you're pretty much going to be frustrated and mad right up until April. This season is pretty much an extended evaluation of the players we have.

Believe it or not, there are some positives to take away from these past couple of games. For example, Kevin Huerter looks to be getting more comfortable with the pro game and has really stepped it up. He's now had back-to-back games scoring a career high 19 points. Trae Young understandably is taking his lumps, but he's putting together a solid rookie season. John Collins is starting to look like a legit All-Star caliber player. That's the kind of progress you look for in a season like this, especially from your rookies and young players.  

I am watching this game as a basketball coach man, i dont care what you guys think, this team is not going anywhere at anytime with this coach, please one night watch a game from a coaches perspective, this has nothing to do with talent its everything with the coach as I mentioned, yes there are some positives but then again what I see on both ends overall is garbage

The play of Huerter. The No. 19 overall pick tied a career-high with 19 points and set another with five threes (on eight attempts), all while providing real value defensively and generally operating at a high level.  This kid has been a big surprise.  We have some good young pieces on this team and with another high draft class we can add more talent.  I’m excited about the young talent so I’m tempering my expectations for this season.  

No.11 and Drew4719 like this

5 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

The play of Huerter. The No. 19 overall pick tied a career-high with 19 points and set another with five threes (on eight attempts), all while providing real value defensively and generally operating at a high level.  This kid has been a big surprise.  We have some good young pieces on this team and with another high draft class we can add more talent.  I’m excited about the young talent so I’m tempering my expectations for this season.  

Yep.

This is what this season is about, these 3:

Drew4719, No.11 and blkbigdog35 like this

Well, not too much defense in this one. That's something that's gonna have to be a point of focus during the All-Star break.

Coach Pierce is definitely getting a little more frustrated! 

It’s the first six minutes and it’s the third quarter, that’s the issue,” said Hawks’ coach Lloyd Pierce after the game. “Again, it’s the urgency to come out and to take a little pride in what we are doing to start games. We put ourselves in a hole, come back and get it back to six points at half time. Our defense, all night, it was suspect.”

In order for your team defense to be better your individual defense has to improve,” the head coach said in reflecting on the game. “And each guy has got to take their own part. Do your job is kind of key in any sport. Do your job. What’s your assignment? Do your job. Are you a weak side defender that needs to come in? Are you an on-ball defender that needs to contain? Each individual needs to make an effort to improve and do their job a little bit better. And the team defense will get better as a result.”

My thoughts :

Nice comeback on the road!

We need to see more of this version of Trae:

15 pts on 5/9 shooting (efficient), 10 assists, just 2 turnovers, 1 steal, and didn't attempt a 3 pointer all game for the first time all year. Of course he needs to shoot 3s, but stop jacking the crazy 30 foot bombs. Run the offense and get your 3s closer in and in rhythm. 

Collins didn't do much offensively in the second half, but he put up yet another large double double - 17 points, 16 rebounds. 4 assists, too. Stardom. 

And Huerter continues to impress with 16 points and the biggest +/- on the team tonight (just ahead of Collins and Trae). 

Noice. 

Been busy and haven't been able to watch quite as much Hawks other than just looking at the box scores after every game. Podcasts are keeping me up to date though lol.

From what I've seen/heard:

Collins is awesome. We have a great player in him.
Trae Young's passing is great, but his shooting has some work to do. Sounds like it's a shot selection issue.
I've heard Huerter is turning some heads. Seems like his role has expanded recently.
The team defense... just does not look good. 

Anyone got any info on Prince, Bembry and Dorsey? I'm pretty excited to be able to watch some games over this break. Only to not be able to watch any again come January lol

10 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Hawks’ Dedmon, Lin drawing interest from contenders

http://amicohoops.net/hawks-dedmon-lin-drawing-interest-from-contenders/

Woo, more draft picks incoming.

Kevin Huerter is putting together an underrated season. He's shooting 41.6% from three! That's a rookie, and his volume has steadily gone up. Also I like how he's attacking the rim. 

blkbigdog35 likes this