Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mqg96

Matt Ryan Has Been Sacked 36 Times In 12 Games, The Most Through 12 Games In His Career And More Than 8 Of His Previous 10 Seasons Total.

42 posts in this topic

This is according to pro football reference, BTW, and we still have 4 more games to play. Also, for the 2016 season, I wonder if that was with the postseason games included or not, since 2016 is at #3 at 29 sacks which is shocking to me. Anyways, I'm not surprised with the bad O-line play this year, especially on this 4 game losing streak where we've haven't even reached the 20 point mark. Only scored 9 offensively yesterday. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&player_id=RyanMa00&year_min=1950&year_max=2018&season_start=1&season_end=-1&pos[]=QB&game_type=R&career_game_num_min=1&career_game_num_max=400&game_num_min=1&game_num_max=12&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&c1stat=pass_sacked&c1comp=gt&c1val=1&c5val=1.0&order_by=pass_sacked

IR - Sam Baker, Lamar Holmes, Jow Hawley, Peter Konz, and Mike Johnson.

That's your starting LT, RT, Center, and backup Center and Guard.

3/4 starting oline and STILL less sacks than what they have now.  And oh yeah the offense was #8 overall that year.  They're #10 currently and headed down with a bullet

But what about missing Freeman?  Stephen Jackson at the end and Jaquizz Rogers vs Coleman and Ito Smith.  Yeah a push at best but more talent on the Falcons side.

This is why I'm ALL for getting rid of Sark and seeing if we can get back Koetter.

Jimsmusic™, falcons007 and mqg96 like this

3 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

This is according to pro football reference, BTW, and we still have 4 more games to play. Also, for the 2016 season, I wonder if that was with the postseason games included or not, since 2016 is at #3 at 29 sacks which is shocking to me. Anyways, I'm not surprised with the bad O-line play this year, especially on this 4 game losing streak where we've haven't even reached the 20 point mark. Only scored 9 offensively yesterday. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&player_id=RyanMa00&year_min=1950&year_max=2018&season_start=1&season_end=-1&pos[]=QB&game_type=R&career_game_num_min=1&career_game_num_max=400&game_num_min=1&game_num_max=12&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&c1stat=pass_sacked&c1comp=gt&c1val=1&c5val=1.0&order_by=pass_sacked

In 2016 - not counting post season - Ryan was sacked 37 times for 235 yards.   

^^ @Sun Tzu 7 Good point, that's why I got so angry throughout the off season every time people tried to make Sark and Shanahan comparisons. Even Dirk Koetter was better than this and Koetter had NO WHERE NEAR the same offensive talent that Shanahan left Sark with. 

Edited by mqg96

3 minutes ago, Tandy said:

In 2016 - not counting post season - Ryan was sacked 37 times for 235 yards.   

Okay, I just realized the stat sheet is through the first 12 games each year of his career. 

5 minutes ago, Tandy said:

His sacks ranked by year:

No Julio Jones and no fear from defenses.

And I'm confident the Falcons can break that record.  Just need to average over 2 sacks a game.

Also probably going to break 2013's QB Hits next game the way things have been going.

36 sacks / 12 games = 3 sacks per game

Likely will be 48 sacks by the end of the year which would surpass 2013 by 4. The 2013 Falcons were very one dimensional with no run game and the O-line and offense didn't have any where near the talent as this current 2018 team. Let's not forget Julio was out for the majority of 2013 too. So yeah, we have major coaching problems. Can't blame injuries at all. 

Edited by mqg96

3 minutes ago, Peyton said:

The sacks in themselves aren't all that big of a deal.  The fact that nothing at all is worked on offense yesterday.....that's more discouraging.

Yep. For all the Sark apologists, this only proves how much worse he is with all the talent we have. Don't give me this "players aren't executing" BS. You are more likely to execute on a consistent basis if you have a better head coach or coordinator. 

3 minutes ago, Peyton said:

The sacks in themselves aren't all that big of a deal.  The fact that nothing at all is worked on offense yesterday.....that's more discouraging.

Nothing has worked since Cleveland game.

I still want to know wtf happened to this Falcons offense after JULIOS 1st TOUCHDOWN  in Cleveland. 

Blows my mind that the West Coast Offense is supposed to be based around quick passes, rhythm, and stretching the field horizontally...and yet, we're running some of the slowest developing plays with a terrible OL.

Sark's stuff can work when we block well - see the Washington game. But it isn't working with this personnel, and it never will.

5 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

I think Derek Carr's 76 sacks in a season is safe. **** that record might not ever be broken

Wasn't that David Carr? Shoot, I started rooting for them just because I felt so bad for him.

3 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Wasn't that David Carr? Shoot, I started rooting for them just because I felt so bad for him.

Yes, I put it in wrong, thanks. 

9 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Blows my mind that the West Coast Offense is supposed to be based around quick passes, rhythm, and stretching the field horizontally...and yet, we're running some of the slowest developing plays with a terrible OL.

Sark's stuff can work when we block well - see the Washington game. But it isn't working with this personnel, and it never will.

We don't run that.

We run Steve Sarkasian's interpretation of Kyle Shanahan's offense which itself was an amalgamation of Gruden, Kubiak's, and Mike Shanahan's systems.

Sark doesn't have the experience/bag of tricks to know 'this isn't going to work so I better to switch to this.'

It's like Sark just figured out passing off play action and using plays to set up others and that's 90% of his playbook.  He doesn't have the short passing game.

Other QBs like Brees and Brady are tough to sack because the ball comes out so quick.  Wonder why the Falcons can't be like that.

Now show the numbers of pressures per pass play. We run more play action than we did before WCO, AFAIK.

And to top it all off as another poster mentioned? No run game.

Ryan is literally trying to will our team as a POCKET QB in an offense DESIGNED to use play-action without the threat of a run game.

Reminds me of when Matt did the handoff fake to one of the RBs a couple weeks ago and the RB was on the wrong side! LOL! Dude just knows he gotta do the fake and get to looking downfield.

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

We don't run that.

We run Steve Sarkasian's interpretation of Kyle Shanahan's offense which itself was an amalgamation of Gruden, Kubiak's, and Mike Shanahan's systems.

Sark doesn't have the experience/bag of tricks to know 'this isn't going to work so I better to switch to this.'

It's like Sark just figured out passing off play action and using plays to set up others and that's 90% of his playbook.  He doesn't have the short passing game.

Other QBs like Brees and Brady are tough to sack because the ball comes out so quick.  Wonder why the Falcons can't be like that.

They have an OL that allows the RB to go out for those easy outlet passes. Our OL needs RBs helping constantly; even Hooper, and teams want to blitz us because why wait for our long-developing routes if they have the personnel in the front 7 of a Pitt or Bal?

We just need a better OL.

FalconJim likes this

44 minutes ago, Tandy said:

His sacks ranked by year (regular season only)

2013: 44

2016: 37

2018: 36  (only 12 games)

2014: 31

2015: 30

2012: 28

2011: 26

2017: 24

2010: 23 

2009: 19

2008: 17

To be fair the lowest number of sacks were the Turner years.

3 minutes ago, Jesus said:

To be fair the lowest number of sacks were the Turner years.

I think it had more to do with the line to be honest - but Turner was a beast - and when you have a good run game - the pass rush is slowed down for any team.

Weiner was an incredible lineman - and Mud Duck was solid as the Center - although he was slowing down.    Justin Blalock was solid - and Clabo and Dahl were mean.   They weren't a great line - but they were  good most of the time and we had Ovie too - who was a great FB and led the way - and was a good blocker.    Plus - his first year - we had Peelle and Hartsock who were blocking TE's.

29 minutes ago, Tandy said:

I think it had more to do with the line to be honest - but Turner was a beast - and when you have a good run game - the pass rush is slowed down for any team.

Weiner was an incredible lineman - and Mud Duck was solid as the Center - although he was slowing down.    Justin Blalock was solid - and Clabo and Dahl were mean.   They weren't a great line - but they were  good most of the time and we had Ovie too - who was a great FB and led the way - and was a good blocker.    Plus - his first year - we had Peelle and Hartsock who were blocking TE's.

For 2008 and 2009 specifically, Ryan wasn't attempting that often. We had a good enough OL for run blocking but weren't yet an open offense for pass first. We drafted Julio in 2011 to start becoming that. Nearly made SB in 2012, should've won in 2016. Had a shot at a deeper run in 2017. Etc.

TBH, without injuries we're probably pushing Saints for div.

Tandy likes this

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

For 2008 and 2009 specifically, Ryan wasn't attempting that often. We had a good enough OL for run blocking but weren't yet an open offense for pass first. We drafted Julio in 2011 to start becoming that. Nearly made SB in 2012, should've won in 2016. Had a shot at a deeper run in 2017. Etc.

I think we would have won both games against the Saints without injuries - and the rest of the Div would be looking up

Ergo Proxy likes this

5 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

We were pass first offense in 2010. That was the year the passing offense compensated for so many negative runs by Turner. OL pass blocking on 3rd down from 2010-2012 was very good.