Going Forward

IA Falcon07

Yes, this is ANOTHER Quinn thread, from a different perspective. 

I do think Quinn has started to lose the team a bit this year, however not for the reasons many people think. Quinn has his faults in coaching as do about 30 other NFL coaches, but at the end of the day I think Quinn is a GOOD coach. The coaches Quinn has surrounded himself with though, which is ABSOLUTELY Quinn’s fault, are not good coaches. This staff is littered with inexperienced coaches who can’t prepare their players on a weekly basis and it has been painfully obvious over the better part of two season. Last year talent reigns supreme and the team was able to get away with it, but the injuries this year have shown the underlying issue. Were the injuries a major issue this year? absolutely, they took the Falcons from a contender to a middle of the pack team, but unfortunately the team is performing more like a basement dweller than a middle team which is on the coaching staff.

Put simply, a CEO can’t run a good company without a good executive team and Quinn with not be successful without a good supporting staff. Quinn cannot possibly coach up every player single handledly. Good head coaches surround themselves with a good staff and that is exactly what Quinn needs to do this off season. He needs to admit his past faults and bring in some experience in the coaching department. A young coach like Sean McVay has done exactly this, bringing in experience at the defensive coordinator and special teams positions and gathering the best coaching he could find top to bottom. Even at 11-1 he isn’t satisfied offering Kliff Kingsbury a consultant job throughout the playoff run to help dissect offenses and get literally any additional feedback he can get.

If Quinn wants to be successful, and he absolutely can be, he needs to come to the realization that no one can do it by themself and go out and put together a quality coaching staff this off season.

2 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

It's not coaching.  Our roster couldn't sustain the injuries we had this year.  We need to build up better lines on both sides of the ball then we'll be right back to being in the mix.  Talent is king in the NFL but if you have line play this poor it neutralizes talent elsewhere.

Sure talent is a huge factor in the NFL as i eluded to in the initial post, but injuries were not as major last season the the inexperience on the coaching staff was already starting to show through. Talent last year was enough to mask some pretty poor coaching. 

Coaching is also vitaly important though, there is a reason the Pats can take no name players and compete year in and year out. They scheme to their players strength and put them in a position to be successful. 

Dimi Oline. Dimi DLine. Troffed.

With that said, Quinn and his coaches are coaching like inexperienced door mats.

In my opinion Quinn has not shown a ton of HC qualities on the gridiron. The Brotherhood will get old soon. Hot seat.

If Blank decides to gut his staff tomorrow I'm all for it. Start with Dimi. Hire some real football men. Roster builders and X and O men.

Just now, IA Falcon07 said:

Sure talent is a huge factor in the NFL as i eluded to in the initial post, but injuries were not as major last season the the inexperience on the coaching staff was already starting to show through. Talent last year was enough to mask some pretty poor coaching. 

Coaching is also vitaly important though, there is a reason the Pats can take no name players and compete year in and year out. They scheme to their players strength and put them in a position to be successful. 

I agree with you for the most part.  I think the other thing the Pats are better at is just managing where the money is spent.  The Pat ALWAYS have good Oline play.  So good that they can trade away pro bowler OL who get long in the tooth.  As an example, they would've shipped Mack by now.  

The Pats are great at scouting players and getting them undervalued.  That is their main strategy -- acquire undervalued guys at all positions except QB, where they have a hall of famer.  If a player can only do one or two things well, that's okay because the Pats will use them that way.

But for that strategy to work, your line play has to be stout.  You get really limited in playcalling on both sides of the ball when your line is being dominated.

It's a failed model constant coaching turnover.

Pittsburgh Steelers thee most consistent winningest franchise in NFL history how many head coaches have they had.

Mike Tomlin some will say not the sharpest tool in the shed but the Steelers stick with them and constantly tweak.You see in business you invest in people not in flash in the pan experiments the next big thing type thinking.If you believe in a person you stick with that person and you stick with the guy when he's under the pump.You back the guy to get you out of this.

What you don't do at the first sign of trouble is start looking somewhere else.We've already done this and how has that worked over our history.For me if Blank has taken a leaf out of the Rooney/Steeler model I think he'll back his guy and his business brain on this one.

I mean think about it when MS got fired you can see Blank chose TD over him or theoretically TD probably should have got the axe aswell.AB has gone all in with TD as GM because he hasn't got the franchise to the edge of winning it all,I see him sticking with DQ and hence why he came out with the pressers he did yesterday.

14 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

I agree with you for the most part.  I think the other thing the Pats are better at is just managing where the money is spent.  The Pat ALWAYS have good Oline play.  So good that they can trade away pro bowler OL who get long in the tooth.  As an example, they would've shipped Mack by now.  

The Pats are great at scouting players and getting them undervalued.  That is their main strategy -- acquire undervalued guys at all positions except QB, where they have a hall of famer.  If a player can only do one or two things well, that's okay because the Pats will use them that way.

But for that strategy to work, your line play has to be stout.  You get really limited in playcalling on both sides of the ball when your line is being dominated.

I agree they get great value but they do that because of coaching! They have the most highly respected offensive line coach in the business, that is the correlation of having a consistently good oline while having player turnover. To me that just reinforces my point of Quinn surrounding himself with a stellar staff. 

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Pittsburgh Steelers thee most consistent winningest franchise in NFL history how many head coaches have they had.

Mike Tomlin some will say not the sharpest tool in the shed but the Steelers stick with them and constantly tweak.You see in business you invest in people not in flash in the pan experiments the next big thing type thinking.If you believe in a person you stick with that person and you stick with the guy when he's under the pump.You back the guy to get you out of this.

What you don't do at the first sign of trouble is start looking somewhere else.We've already done this and how'd has that workd over our history.For me if Blank has taken a leaf out of the Rooney/Steeler model I think he'll back his guy and his business brain on this one.

I don't think you're watching the tapes bro. Quinn is in over his head. Not really the sharpest HC tool in the league. If you want to bank on him at this point good luck. I think we're at a turning point. Bring in veteran coaches, players and GM while we're coming up on a major roster tweak. Get right. We can still save the 2019 season.

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I don't think you're watching the tapes bro. Quinn is in over his head. Not really the sharpest HC tool in the league. If you want to bank on him at this point good luck. I think we're at a turning point. Bring in veteran coaches, players and GM while we're coming up on a major roster tweak. Get right. We can still save the 2019 season.

70 you gotta back the man though mate he may look in over his head but there will be alot of factors that are playing into this.

I agree a big off season in 19 is coming up no doubts about it.

I think a lot forget and judge because he being DQ has bought the s to the edge and losing it like he did to where we are today is also clouding alot of fans opinions.Throw in the Georgia loss and it only takes a spark to get a bonfire raging.Remember this is DQs first HC gig he's still learning like players it doesn't happen overnight.

10 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

What you don't do at the first sign of trouble is start looking somewhere else.We've already done this and how has that worked over our history.For me if Blank has taken a leaf out of the Rooney/Steeler model I think he'll back his guy and his business brain on this one.

I mean think about it when MS got fired you can see Blank chose TD over him or theoretically TD probably should have got the axe aswell.AB has gone all in with TD as GM because he hasn't got the franchise to the edge of winning it all,I see him sticking with DQ and hence why he came out with the pressers he did yesterday.

Which is why in my post I alluded to firing Quinn not being the answer. He does however need to clean up his staff and help himself there. The Steelers might keep he head man, but they still have coaching turnover at the coordinator position when they feel it’s necessary which is a model I can get behind.

Just now, IA Falcon07 said:

Which is why in my post I alluded to firing Quinn not being the answer. He does however need to clean up his staff and help himself there. The Steelers might keep he head man, but they still have coaching turnover at the coordinator position when they feel it’s necessary which is a model I can get behind.

Tweaking it's exactly what they did in the FO and I see no reason to do any different in the HC stakes.

How can it not be some fault of the Head Coach. When he still thinks this O-line can block for the run game to pick up 1 yard for a first down. When time and time again this year and LAST YEAR they showed the were not up to the task! Has something changed that shows any of you this team can pick up 1 yard for a first down. Or is it just me that knows its time to send in the punter even if the defense can't stop a feather from getting past them. 

8 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

70 you gotta back the man though mate he may look in over his head but there will be alot of factors that are playing into this.

I agree a big off season in 19 is coming up no doubts about it.

I think a lot forget and judge because he being DQ has bought the s to the edge and losing it like he did to where we are today is also clouding alot of fans opinions.Throw in the Georgia loss and it only takes a spark to get a bonfire raging.Remember this is DQs first HC gig he's still learning like players it doesn't happen overnight.

What I'm saying bro is even with a stacked roster and no injuries I think most of the league can handle Quinn. His HC qualities are questionable. Yall boys are trying to get on the develop Quinn train. I'm trying to get rest. Tired.

Quinn bears responsibility, but letting him go is not the answer. He does need to surround himself with more experienced better coaches so he can be a better HC. I do not think is time to let him go but core changes to the coaching staff need to be made, including the position of OC and DC. The injuries definitely had an effect, but it is not the whole story. 

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Tweaking it's exactly what they did in the FO and I see no reason to do any different in the HC stakes.

I agree, to me the tweak is for Quinn to bring in some experienced staff members at critical positions and positions that have been a constant struggle. I think Quinn can succeed, but not without some help around him. 

8 minutes ago, high impact said:

How can it not be some fault of the Head Coach. When he still thinks this O-line can block for the run game to pick up 1 yard for a first down. When time and time again this year and LAST YEAR they showed the were not up to the task! Has something changed that shows any of you this team can pick up 1 yard for a first down. Or is it just me that knows its time to send in the punter even if the defense can't stop a feather from getting past them. 

No where does it say the head coach is free of fault, quite then opposite. Quinn takes a lot of the blame, but no coach can do it alone. It takes multiple good minds to game plan effectively. The state of the current staff is Quinn’s fault, but he also has the opportunity to fix that situation.

TD is not the guy to get us to the promised land.  Couldn't draft an O-Line if he had 7 first round picks.  Let him go ride is bike and groom himself; he can't evaluate talent.  

DQ may be good, but he needs a lot of game mgmt improvement.  Many bad HC decisions surrounding the clock.  He should hire a math savant to sit in the booth and advise him on "take/don't take time-out here" or "keep clock running" or whatever.  

Sark and Armstrong both need to go.  Both are terrible.  

our DC.... I could make an argument either way that he should stay or go and based on that fact; he should go.  

A leader can only lead if the people will follow.  Every bad decision (Sark, clock mgmt, 53 man roster) is chipping away at his ability to lead because the team loses faith in him with each passing week.  

I still wonder if Murlarkly coming in wasn’t to help Sark, but also keep some form of continuity if Sark doesn’t improve, which he hasn’t.

i would be looking hard at OL, OC and ST coaches. The NFL loves Armstrong and he is always mentioned as HC material, yet he hasn’t put a good product on the field for half a decade!

Defense dealt with some big losses this year, but would have some heat on DB coach though, CB play has really declined.

1 minute ago, 1989Fan said:

I still wonder if Murlarkly coming in wasn’t to help Sark, but also keep some form of continuity if Sark doesn’t improve, which he hasn’t.

i would be looking hard at OL, OC and ST coaches. The NFL loves Armstrong and he is always mentioned as HC material, yet he hasn’t put a good product on the field for half a decade!

Defense dealt with some big losses this year, but would have some heat on DB coach though, CB play has really declined.

Agreed and I think getting rid of coaches let’s players know they are next on the hot seat if things don’t turn around. 

55 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

It's not coaching.  Our roster couldn't sustain the injuries we had this year.  We need to build up better lines on both sides of the ball then we'll be right back to being in the mix.  Talent is king in the NFL but if you have line play this poor it neutralizes talent elsewhere.

It's a little bit of both. 

Yes there were injuries but there are times that the team looked great and times when they looked like crap. They just seem unprepared. The Ravens are a team you can move the ball on. The Browns are not a very good team. The Saints the Falcons lost to in over time the first time. Yet the Falcons were basically blown out by all these teams in the past four weeks. There is no reason for that other than lack of prep. 

3 minutes ago, IA Falcon07 said:

No where does it say the head coach is free of fault, quite then opposite. Quinn takes a lot of the blame, but no coach can do it alone. It takes multiple good minds to game plan effectively. The state of the current staff is Quinn’s fault, but he also has the opportunity to fix that situation.

Sorry thought I had hit the Quote option. This was directed more to: DogIsYourName post below. 

56 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

And yes the lines on both side need help. But Quinn keeps trying to make diamonds out of charcoal. I just don't think he has put them under enough pressure to make it work.