Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FalconinPA

Coaching changes may be coming

102 posts in this topic

Quinn won't go anywhere yet. They make shake stuff up a bit in the off season, but I wouldn't hold my breath for anything major just yet.

8 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Apple Core

Baltimore

Who's your friend?

Steve Sarkisian

Just google it if you have no idea what I'm talking about

Wow, unbelievable. 

39 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Dan Quinn's teams are "all over the place" - you never know from year-to-year what you are going to get out of a Dan Quinn coached team.  "Coach Brah" - I'm your friend.

Yeah, the consistency and toughness is just not there. Also the OC/DC are in over their heads. This I blame Quinn for not recognizing it when he hired them.

I'm not even mentioning the rest of the staff that includes Morris and Armstrong among others.

This is one sorry staff, Quinn either gets some balls and make changes or his job should also be up for review.

I stuck with Sark simply to give him time to grow, but I'm done with him now.  The Falcons would be just as bad with almost any other OC right now, so there is nothing really to lose by showing him the door.  He is not good enough to stay. 

And Manuel?  In my opinion he makes Sark look like Bill Walsh.  Manuel shows me zero aptitude. 

They both are not qualified to be NFL coordinators.  All you have to do is watch a Falcons game to know that.

Peyton likes this

Armstrong and Manuel are probably the short list. They'll likely hang on to Steve S, but I'd be shocked if a college or two don't come calling for his services. They won't want to put a firing on his resume.

Dr Long Shot likes this

Morris needs to go as well. Our WR's drop too many passes and run some really dumb routes. I get so sick of them running short of the first down marker. 

mikeg272 likes this

3 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

Armstrong and Manuel are probably the short list. They'll likely hang on to Steve S, but I'd be shocked if a college or two don't come calling for his services. They won't want to put a firing on his resume.

I agree with Manuel and Armstrong being on a short list

Dr Long Shot likes this

9 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

I don't know if Sark is that safe.

Blank can always look back to 2014 and say he's seen another OC do more with less than Sark.  And 2014 had MUCH worse injuries along the oline.

4 minutes ago, high impact said:

Well any coach that has the slogan "embrace the suck" should be given his walking papers the second that crap comes out.

At the time I thought it was a good rallying cry to insulate the team from the predictably harsh media and public.

Now, I don't care for those kinds of slogans. Just stick to the fundamentals and pay attention to the details. The funny thing is that DQ tends to emphasize proper technique and football fundamentals (from a position standpoint) in his interviews and general philosophy. So I don't think DQ is incapable or generally isn't detail oriented, but it hasn't translated to general game management. He has to start holding his staff accountable as much as the players. 

DQ needs to be more of a disciplinarian. It's good that he's able to connect and motivate his players, but understand that this is a business and everyone has to hold up their end of the bargain. If someone isn't performing or something isn't working, you can't be afraid to make adjustments. For that matter, those things should be prepared for ahead of time.

One of my coworkers who is a Patriots fan told me that in the Patriots' 2016 AFCCG loss to Denver, the Patriots failed to convert a 2-point try which would have tied the game and forced OT. He said Belichick made it a point of emphasis for his staff to make sure they had at least two plays for the 2-point try in anticipation for a similar scenario in the future. If I correctly remember, the very next year they converted twice on 2-point tries in Super Bowl LI.

That's the kind of attention to detail and preparation DQ needs to apply and instill in his staff and players, but especially the staff. I still believe DQ has the right mindset. He just needs to take it a step further and hold himself and his staff accountable for the preparation and execution. 

high impact and kiwifalcon like this

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I don't know if Sark is that safe.

Blank can always look back to 2014 and say he's seen another OC do more with less than Sark.  And 2014 had MUCH worse injuries along the oline.

I feel that Sark is a pretty good guy and had been through some stuff. Blank may give him the Van Gorder treatment and allow him to "look into other positions" so he can resign his post rather than get a firing. Just my hunch but, who knows? Sports are weird.

Sun Tzu 7 likes this

2 minutes ago, Gee-Q said:

I almost shat my pants in anger when they ran up the middle on 4th and 1.  Literally 8 or 9 in the box...

And with running game being so anemic on top of this

3 minutes ago, Gee-Q said:

I almost shat my pants in anger when they ran up the middle on 4th and 1.  Literally 8 or 9 in the box...

Yep, I still stand by my post the Falcons can't stop a team on 3rd or 4th and 1. Plus they can't pick up a first down running on 3rd or 4th and 1. That tells me the lines are weak and can't get any push.

1 hour ago, Stryka said:

He was doing it when he was coaching the defense in 2016. Routinely we were holding other teams to 10-14 points while our offense was racking up 30. Thats before the soft zone was initiated and we almost let most of the teams come back on us.  He needs to accept Sarkisian as a failure for Atlanta. He regressed the more we gave him control of the offense. 

His personnel is Seattle was too good to screw up. 

Here's the truth. Quinn may not have lost his owner, or his team,(debatable) but for sure he has lost the fans.  i don't believe he is going anywhere. But I believe to save face he will have to make changes on his staff.  

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

2 hours ago, Peyton said:

Sarkisian had his moment of glory at Washington, but the dude has been badly outcoached 4 weeks in a row now. 

Not just Sark bro. The whole staff. Quinn, Manuel, Armstrong and several position coaches.

Gut it. We're headed for major roster tweaks anyway due to Dimi cap gaffes. Go deep and wide.

I think we can enact a plan to get us back in the mix next year plus set us up for a better future.

You and I have always said 2019 will be interesting. That may have been an understatement.