GhostofGritz

So, What Was the Deal With Julio Yesterday?

98 posts in this topic

Gritz I know this is not a popular notion on TATF but we should have traded Julio this off season and certainly should before extending him this coming off season. We may still be able to get a couple picks/players that would help our cause. There are several reasons I believe this:

• In the Ryan era we were 33-15 (.688) pre-Julio and are 66-58 (.532) post-Julio
  • We've had four non winning seasons in the eight years Julio has been on the team
  • Elite WRs are not the key to a Lombardi. See Julio, OBJ, DHop, Fitz, T.O., Randy, etc.
  • The leading receiver on the last championship team was a TE with 824 yards
  • He has a $13.5M cap hit on the 2019 cap table
  • We could free up $8.1M in cap space if we get rid of him next year
  • For whatever reason he does not score TDs (averages under 6 TDs per season)
  • He stays nicked up and has to take several plays off during games
  • He aint no spring chicken and turns 30 in February
  • We have much bigger needs than an elite receiver

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Gritz I know this is not a popular notion on TATF but we should have traded Julio this off season and certainly should before extending him this coming off season. We may still be able to get a couple picks/players that would help our cause. There are several reasons I believe this:

• In the Ryan era we were 33-15 (.688) pre-Julio and are 66-58 (.532) post-Julio
  • We've had four non winning seasons in the eight years Julio has been on the team
  • Elite WRs are not the key to a Lombardi. See Julio, OBJ, DHop, Fitz, T.O., Randy, etc.

We'll see if Blank's loyalty to players screws the team again.  He doesn't like getting rid of his favorites, but if he pays Julio, the franchise will be hamstrung for a few years.

11 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I understand not wanting to get rid of an elite player but TD needs to make that trade. All of these reasons: age, injuries, team needs. 

Just now, Flyin' In DC said:

I understand not wanting to get rid of an elite player but TD needs to make that trade. All of these reasons: age, injuries, team needs. 

And somehow I forgot to mention his penchant to drop balls. That seems to be getting worse. Move him while he still has value. 

Rgunzz likes this

16 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I can't even flame you for this my brother. This organization rarely thinks outside of the box, and it has kept that trophy case empty.  I was thinking about this the other day when I was out running: outside of Jerry Rice, how many of the truly great, TRULY GREAT, WRs have Superbowl rings?

11 minutes ago, Sui_Generis said:

@FalconFanSince1970you are right bro....not a popular opinion but I believe a decision that needs to be made. 

No Julio could mean better line players, which is really what this team needs. 

Can we trade JJ for an entire OL?  I'd be on board for that!

putnam6 likes this

8 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

In the era Ryan went 33-15 he also had a pro bowl TE, WR, & RB. Tony Gonzalez made Ryan a Pro Bowler QB. Tony caught the ball when he was blanketed. Ryan really never had to go through his progression. Could you imagine this team this year without Julio? Who is Matt going to throw it to?Many ppl thought Randy Moss was washed up in OAK til he got with a ELITE QB & was the best season him or Tom Brady ever had. Elite WR stats may not be a good indicator to winning a SUPER BOWL. But name me one Super Bowl team that didn't have a pro bowl WR or TE. Safeties have to honor the threat of getting beat deep. When safeties are deep that helps the running game. Ryan had plenty of opportunities to make the plays that elite QB's make. Ryan has missed countless of open WR's. But yet he still is staring down WR's like a rookie QB. Phllip Rivers was getting hammered by Pittsburgh defense but he made the plays TO WIN THE GAME. You do know if Julio was not on the field Ryan stats would not look so great. You do know Julio is top 5 in yardage. I like Ryan. Ya'll LOVE Ryan. I think Ryan is a good QB. Ya'll think Ryan is a GREAT QB. I know im not suppose to speak negative on Ryan but **** ya'll homers. Im a season tix holder. If you dont like what I have to say pay me $4500 for my PSL & I will never say anything negative about Melting Ice again. So accept the fact we have a average QB who is making elite $$$. We can use some of that money to get a OL to help Ryan look as great as some of you say that he is. With Ryan as our QB it will take at less 4 pro bowlers on the OL. A pro bowler at WR. A pro bowler at RB with a Top 5 defense to win a SUPER BOWL. It is just REALITY. DEAL WITH IT HOMERS!!!!!

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

53 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The Pats would magically turn him into the all world, best in the NFL WR that everybody      SAYS       he is now.  DO it !

7 minutes ago, RiseUpcollegepark said:

In the era Ryan went 33-15 he also had a pro bowl TE, WR, & RB. Tony Gonzalez made Ryan a Pro Bowler QB. Tony caught the ball when he was blanketed. Ryan really never had to go through his progression. Could you imagine this team this year without Julio? Who is Matt going to throw it to?Many ppl thought Randy Moss was washed up in OAK til he got with a ELITE QB & was the best season him or Tom Brady ever had. Elite WR stats may not be a good indicator to winning a SUPER BOWL. But name me one Super Bowl team that didn't have a pro bowl WR or TE. Safeties have to honor the threat of getting beat deep. When safeties are deep that helps the running game. Ryan had plenty of opportunities to make the plays that elite QB's make. Ryan has missed countless of open WR's. But yet he still is staring down WR's like a rookie QB. Phllip Rivers was getting hammered by Pittsburgh defense but he made the plays TO WIN THE GAME. You do know if Julio was not on the field Ryan stats would not look so great. You do know Julio is top 5 in yardage. I like Ryan. Ya'll LOVE Ryan. I think Ryan is a good QB. Ya'll think Ryan is a GREAT QB. I know im not suppose to speak negative on Ryan but **** ya'll homers. Im a season tix holder. If you dont like what I have to say pay me $4500 for my PSL & I will never say anything negative about Melting Ice again. So accept the fact we have a average QB who is making elite $$$. We can use some of that money to get a OL to help Ryan look as great as some of you say that he is. With Ryan as our QB it will take at less 4 pro bowlers on the OL. A pro bowler at WR. A pro bowler at RB with a Top 5 defense to win a SUPER BOWL. It is just REALITY. DEAL WITH IT HOMERS!!!!!

I don't think it's fair to include TEs in the argument with WRs. Every team in history would love an elite WR for vet minimum, what it comes down to is the fact that you can't allocate that money to more important positions. I'd rather have Gronkowski for $9M a year and Tyron Smith for $12.2M a year than Julio for $20M+. 

Edited by Power I

1 hour ago, GhostofGritz said:

I can't even flame you for this my brother. This organization rarely thinks outside of the box, and it has kept that trophy case empty.  I was thinking about this the other day when I was out running: outside of Jerry Rice, how many of the truly great, TRULY GREAT, WRs have Superbowl rings?

Not many in the last 10 years. Maybe the Bronco WRs. But calling BayBay and Sanders great is a stretch. Most teams are doing it with good QB play and solid defense. Especially run defense. We are getting good QB play, but our defense is putrid. Especially our run defense. I believe that's due more to roster, scheme and coaching than injuries.

1 hour ago, RiseUpcollegepark said:

Yes I can imagine this team without Julio. Free, Hoop, Ridley, Sanu and Gage are under contract in 2019. Add one contributor, solidify the Oline and DLine and we can win a Lombardi. We have won games without Julio before and can again if we fix the OLine and DLine. If you're saying we can't we're screwed.

Bro take a look at the last ten championship teams. Only three sent a WR or TE to the Pro Bowl the year they won. Julio may go to the Pro Bowl this year on a 4-12 or 8-8 team. You happy? Fk a pro Bowl. Truth be told most championship teams are doing it with good QB play and defense. Not hood ornaments like Julio, OBJ, AB, Fitz, DHop, Moss or T.O.

Matt Ryan is having a dam good season. With no running game and a Dimi Oline full of overpaid players that defenses are chomping at the bit to get after. Still he's Top 10 in Yards, TDs, Comp%, Int%, Yards Per Attempt, Passer Rating and QBR, with no OLinemen headed to the Pro Bowl this year. 

He stunk it up like the rest of the team on both sides. When everybody is performing poorly is should be pretty evident where blame should be placed. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

He stunk it up like the rest of the team on both sides. When everybody is performing poorly is should be pretty evident where blame should be placed. 

Pretty much yeah

1 hour ago, Sui_Generis said:

@FalconFanSince1970you are right bro....not a popular opinion but I believe a decision that needs to be made. 

No Julio could mean better line players, which is really what this team needs. 

Sadly OL doesn't sell tickets, and that may be a big decision element for AB