Sandy5prings

From an NFL scouting guru at the Ravens game - Falcons need to draft 5 OL/DL next year

87 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Yeah, it needs to be a combination draft + strategic free agents. Drafting 5 rookies replacing vets would be another ugly season. 

This. Fix glaring holes with proven veteran free agents. Build the long term roster with draft picks. Relying on rooks to fill major holes has killed us in the past.

capologist, rugger8 and Vandy like this

1 hour ago, Sandy5prings said:

Not that it is a surprise 

did said scout know that we had our 2nd and 3rd string guards playing that game and that our starters were not in pads?     just curious how a scout can judge our starters when they didn't play.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

It’s a combination of things. Easy to figure out scheme when there’s no running game at all. 

It's easy to figure out scheme, when you have to spend all your "scheming" on working around the liabilities along the LOS.  

Forget scheme, for now.  We need better player along the LOS.  It is that simple.  

Ergo Proxy likes this

4 minutes ago, thesouphead said:

did said scout know that we had our 2nd and 3rd string guards playing that game and that our starters were not in pads?     just curious how a scout can judge our starters when they didn't play.

Eh. The regular starters have been hurt for awhile. These 2nd and 3rd string guys are the starters now. They just don't got it.

5 minutes ago, thesouphead said:

Our injured starters are not that good either.  There is absolutely nothing special about any of the OG's we have on staff.

sdogg likes this

6 minutes ago, etherdome said:

It's easy to figure out scheme, when you have to spend all your "scheming" on working around the liabilities along the LOS.  

Forget scheme, for now.  We need better player along the LOS.  It is that simple.  

Agree, but it’s not just the OL my man. Just as it’s not just Sark.  In fact, I can and have made the argument that the OL/OC aren’t even the biggest thingy. 

Our two RBs have been as bad or worse than our OL and play calling have been.

I have a question for the Personnel/Draft Gurus. Does the front office have no ability to assess O-Line talent or do they think that that is just a secondary need and thus don't address it.

I also think we need a Strong-willed OC that has a lot of experience and will work as an assistant HC  

sdogg likes this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Agree, but it’s not just the OL my man. Just as it’s not just Sark.  In fact, I can and have made the argument that the OL/OC aren’t even the biggest thingy. 

I have been so disappointed in our OL's for so long that I have lost objectivity.  In your opinion, what is the biggest problem?

NCFalconfan and Vandy like this

Just now, Flyin' In DC said:

I have a question for the Personnel/Draft Gurus. Does the front office have no ability to assess O-Line talent or do they think that that is just a secondary need and thus don't address it.

I also think we need a Strong-willed OC that has a lot of experience and will work as an assistant HC  

Since the days of Alex Gibbs, the Falcons have adopted the philosophy that you don't make big investments in the OL.  Instead, you invest/draft "athletes".  

10 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Our injured starters are not that good either.  There is absolutely nothing special about any of the OG's we have on staff.

We had one of the best NFL offenses of all time with 4 our of our 5 starters.  Guess we just got lucky...week, after week after week.   

8 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I've been saying the team needs 4 OL/DL.

2 in the draft and 2 in FA and they need to be quality FA.  The Steven Means and Fusco's of the world ain't going to cut it.

weve been saying this for years.!

6 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Since the days of Alex Gibbs, the Falcons have adopted the philosophy that you don't make big investments in the OL.  Instead, you invest/draft "athletes".  

Alex Mack wants to have a word with you.

21 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

But hey.  Let's draft a WR and CB the first and second round and have three skill positions on the offense the top 3-paid at their position.  That will fix everything.

Funny how everyone wants us to draft bpa right up until we do. 

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Funny how everyone wants us to draft bpa right up until we do. 

and some of the same ones cheerleading the Ridley and Oliver picks...are the same ones now *****ing that neither of the lines were picked with their picks.

Vandy likes this

12 minutes ago, thesouphead said:

Alex Mack wants to have a word with you.

As does Jake Matthews and Sam Baker......and second round picks Peter konz and Justin Blalock

Just now, falconsd56 said:

As does Jake Matthews and Sam Baker......and second round picks Peter konz and Justin Blalock

Levitre is a former 2nd round pick too.    And Ryan S is an underrated who was seen as one of the best RTs in the league just a couple years ago.  

25 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

The Falcons had arguably the best OL in the NFL two years ago. They took a flyer on Harlow in the draft but I'm sure they thought it was a secondary need until now. 

Kollmann is a great YouTuber but I wouldn’t place him in the “guru” category. That’s overstating his abilities by a wide margin and leaves his analysis up for debate when you frame him in such a light. 

That being said he is pretty thorough with his videos and breakdowns. I don’t agree with him 100% of the time but he does hit on major points. We do need major help on both lines, that’s for sure. It’s not a stunning revelation. Problem with building lines is that the process to build them can be slow. What we need is to get the right people that we can and then get the best coaches we can buy. Right now. Coaching is more important than players. Keep Quinn at the helm and fire Sark and Manuel. If Quinn can’t find the staff to fix our issues then he’s part of the problem. 

Vandy likes this

While I agree that we need to invest heavily in our lines this offseason, the comment about 5 guys at a minimum is a bit extreme. We have talented players on both lines, but I don't think we are setting this team up for success. I put a lot of our problems on the coaching staff. If I was a defensive or offensive line coach for the Falcons, I would be updating my resume as we speak. In order to be a top offensive line, you don't need 5 all pros. You can get by with 1-2 elite players and the rest being average to above average. The problem is we have two top tier players (Mack and Matthews), but the rest of the guys are among the worst in football.

We have too much talent on both sides of the ball to be playing this bad. I still don't understand why we couldn't force Lamar to beat us in the air. Everyone saw how terrible he looked throwing the ball down the field. Instead, we let them eat up a ton of clock and keep the ball away from our defense.