Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thelonious Mingus

Can Quinn really survive a 4-12 or 5-11 season?

84 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GET-ME-A-DB-TD said:

Mike Sniff got a couple 

Mike Smith also had a much better track record with not blowing leads his first couple of seasons.

Smith got 2 injury riddled seasons.  One season they replace the right side of the oline and the next the right side of the oline went on IR.

Lets not act like Blank was benevolent and all forgiving.  Smitty had significant injuries both seasons but Blank still canned him.

Quinn is officially on the hot seat.

So Smith had 2 injury riddled losing seasons and Quinn just had his first.

Vandy, JOEinPHX, PokerSteve and 2 others like this

He can lose every game left this year (more likely than we think) and he’ll be fine this year.  As someone else said, Blank won’t be happy but he’s not giving him the boot after his first losing season that was riddled with injuries.  As bad of a job as this staff has done that’d be irrational.

You also have to think about the message that sends to other potential coaches.  Nobody wants an owner that impatient.

I will say that coming into this year, I figured he could have two disappointing seasons and still be back for 2020.  I no longer think that.  If next season resembles this season at all he’s gone.

2 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Mike Smith also had a much better track record with not blowing leads his first couple of seasons.

Smith got 2 injury riddled seasons.  One season they replace the right side of the oline and the next the right side of the oline went on IR.

Lets not act like Blank was benevolent and all forgiving.  Smitty had significant injuries both seasons but Blank still canned him.

Quinn is officially on the hot seat.

So Smith had 2 injury riddled losing seasons and Quinn just had his first.

Smith also had some health concerns he never bounced back from. And our D just got obliterated. Why would he be on the hot seat? Ron Rivera on the hot seat? Similar run after the SB as us. None of this will take Quinn's head. Manuel? Maybe. 

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

6 hours ago, vanhino said:

It's his first losing season. He survives this one. Next season might be different.

This here. It is his first losing season, and Blank had mentioned when hiring Quinn he was envious of the Steelers and he feels HC longevity is key to sustainable success. He is not going to be as fair weather as the fan base.

i think Armstrong and OL coach could be in the line though after this season.

papachaz and hashmark61 like this

3 hours ago, slamee101 said:

He can lose every game left this year (more likely than we think) and he’ll be fine this year.  As someone else said, Blank won’t be happy but he’s not giving him the boot after his first losing season that was riddled with injuries.  As bad of a job as this staff has done that’d be irrational.

You also have to think about the message that sends to other potential coaches.  Nobody wants an owner that impatient.

I will say that coming into this year, I figured he could have two disappointing seasons and still be back for 2020.  I no longer think that.  If next season resembles this season at all he’s gone.

^^^ Agree

Pacific_Falcon likes this

Imagine hiring a good HC, respected around the league, in 2015. Imagine that HC takes his team to the SB in year two and wins a playoff game in year three, having one of the better playoff teams in the league going into 2018. Imagine firing that HC after his first losing season, a season where he lost more Pro Bowl starters than any team in the league. Who would want to come coach a team with that short of a rope. 

8 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

He definitely won’t be ok with it. But he’s going to give Quinn another chance. Whether fans want to give Quinn an excuse or not, Blank has. 

Arthur’s done so much for this franchise, and I’m sure he was planning for this to have been his triumphant season. I feel bad for him.

Quinn will be back. Doubt either of his coordinators will. I’m not a Sark hater but DQ letting Matt Lafleur leave was a big mistake. 

PokerSteve, papachaz and Atl Falcon like this

DQ will survive this and he probably should. Building the D with rookies and young players that last couple of years earned him that right. Where he has failed is in getting a pipeline of quality assistant coaches. 

Almost surely, our entire offensive coaching unit including Sark is going to be sacrificed to appease the fans. Sark should've been let go last year. There are no real obvious guys waiting in the wings. Even Matt LeFleur is stinking it up in Tennessee. 

In addition to the play design and calling, our real issue is the lack of depth. When you pay your QB such a high % of the cap, you just cannot build depth unless you nail every draft pick like the Aints did last year. Otherwise few key injuries completely tank your season like we just saw happen to us.

The guys need to understand and truly feel that if they miss a block, drop a pass, get burned on defense.... there will be consequences. This “dang, I almost got that one” bs has to stop”. Quinn doesn’t evoke fear so why should anyone worry when they come to work. Deep breath...

GeorgiaBoyz and shock like this

28 minutes ago, vel said:

Imagine hiring a good HC, respected around the league, in 2015. Imagine that HC takes his team to the SB in year two and wins a playoff game in year three, having one of the better playoff teams in the league going into 2018. Imagine firing that HC after his first losing season, a season where he lost more Pro Bowl starters than any team in the league. Who would want to come coach a team with that short of a rope. 

Well, when you put it like that.......

8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Arthur’s done so much for this franchise, and I’m sure he was planning for this to have been his triumphant season. I feel bad for him.

Quinn will be back. Doubt either of his coordinators will. I’m not a Sark hater but DQ letting Matt Lafleur leave was a big mistake. 

I have a dreadful feeling that Manual will be back. And I’d rather him go over Sark if only 1 were to go 

Pacific_Falcon and Vandy like this

8 hours ago, vanhino said:

It's his first losing season. He survives this one. Next season might be different.

Every season is a losing one unless you hoist the trophy. It’s justvwhether or not you get good draft capital or not or you drag your fan base along for an extra bit of disappointment. Tank the rest of the year. There is absolutely nothing to gain at this point except a Top pick...I’d rather have Nick Bosa or Quinnen Williams than a 6-10 record

Edited by Matt_The Iceman_Ryan
PokerSteve likes this

Blank will not fire Quinn this season. Blank will require a detailed action plan which he will give input on.

Blank understands, from business, that you hold people accountable for their decisions and actions as opposed to evaluating results alone. Can't control injuries? Fine, benefit of doubt given. Those things that you did have control over...how did you do there (coaching staff, game management, input into roster management, etc.) ?

I think if Blank honestly evaluates the strengths and weaknesses of each member of the coaching staff, in combination with the role Quinn has plugged them into, he will put Quinn on a corrective action plan. It is possible, but unlikely, that Quinn has the right people on the coaching bus. At any rate, I think it is probable some of them are in the wrong seat. I want Quinn's hands more on that defense. I want Morris out of the offense. I want Sark to either be freed to run his preferred system...or just plain cut loose. Bringing someone in and dictating how they run their unit makes zero sense. You need the best offensive approach for the current organization, not as it was in 2016. 

kiwifalcon and PokerSteve like this

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

He was planning for 2016 to be his big year for the sake of ticket sales in the new building.  He even made a Superbowl proclamation, and amazingly we got there.  After blowing it though, he looks frustrated as heII, but still getting his money.

Vandy likes this

9 hours ago, vanhino said:

I consider 8-8 a losing season...Especially after a 5-0 start that year.  A trip to the Superbowl only buys you so much...

Optimus_Cr1m35 likes this

2 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

He was planning for 2016 to be his big year for the sake of ticket sales in the new building.  He even made a Superbowl proclamation, and amazingly we got there.  After blowing it though, he looks frustrated as heII, but still getting his money.

He’s got his money my man, believe me I know.  All that’s left for him is his legacy, which right now is way more important to him than money. 

PokerSteve and kiwifalcon like this