Cole World

NFL Draft 2019: Scouts' Takes on the Loaded Defensive Line Class

72 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2018 at 2:30 PM, Cole World said:

He doesn’t have a video so that point is thrown out of the window. 

And I already explained the Takk thing above. 

What do you think this is?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2018 at 2:30 PM, Cole World said:

He doesn’t have a video so that point is thrown out of the window. 

And I already explained the Takk thing above. 

I'm still not understanding the Takk point? I didnt spread any rumors about Takk last year...proof?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you going to act like you didn't make the following comment to KFK in the thread below.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4053340-the-pass-rusher-we-need-takk-mckinley/

Quote

1.72 split? Not impressive at 236lbs...he went undrafted....for reference, Willis was 1.59 this year.

 

And for the record: DQ was only in SEA his first year with SEA (11 sacks) and his last year with SEA (4 sacks).

 

Considering it was his first season as a starter...he was bound to increase his numbers based on statistical probability....

 

Yap all you want...I dont like Tak McKinley...and comparing him to an average NFL athlete that was undrafted, took 6 NFL seasons before notching double digit sacks, and loosely connecting him to our HC isnt going to change my mind on Tak....

 

The guy is injured and cant do private workouts for teams either...so go ahead and add him to the NOT GONNA BE A FALCON list....

@Matt_The Iceman_Ryan forgot to tag you.

Edited by Cole World

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cole World said:

So you going to act like you didn't make the following comment to KFK in the thread below.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4053340-the-pass-rusher-we-need-takk-mckinley/

@Matt_The Iceman_Ryan forgot to tag you.

You got me!

At the time, no indications Falcons had private workouts with Takk...I can’t be right about everything...

I’d be shocked if Jeff Simmons is a Falcon....

Next subject, eh?

Cole World likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simmons made a mistake defending his cousin in a fight. After the DV, he was a solid citizen in Starkville. I have not heard of any huge issues at State. Also, guys on the team gravitate toward him. Btw, I am Mississippi State. This is not a biase opinion, but if we pass up on him, we will regret it.

however, if he is off our board because of the DV, Derrick Brown is who I want. He plays with a lot of power light Simmons. Brown is who we need at DT, more physicality and power. Not a fan of Wilkins, he get stood up too often. Athletic, yes, power, no. Oliver and Williams are out of the question because of where we will be picking. In the teens, it maybe too high for Lawrence and Tillery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2018 at 2:24 PM, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

What do you think this is?

 

Can you show me a quote from our FO saying Simmons s a no go?

Or is this a assumption just because of this video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m really interested in Senats role in the defense next year.Is this guy going to be a full time nose against the run.Does he have the ability to rush the passer.To me outside of finding a foil for Jarrett I believe this will have a huge influence on if we go DT early in this draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I’m really interested in Senats role in the defense next year.Is this guy going to be a full time nose against the run.Does he have the ability to rush the passer.To me outside of finding a foil for Jarrett I believe this will have a huge influence on if we go DT early in this draft.

I'm starting to see this draft the same way I saw it last year. I called us going WR/CB/TE in the first two rounds, given the depth of the draft at other positions. I see us going OT (Ford/Jonah) instead of DT at #14. I think we spend money along the DL in FA and maybe one spot on the OL and draft OL in the first two rounds and capitalize on the deep DL class the rest of the way. It makes more sense. It's harder to find good OL outside the top 50. Not the case with DL. We're talking about the guy who has found Grady and Senat in a handful of drafts. 

kiwifalcon, atlbaby, gtech1 and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, vel said:

I'm starting to see this draft the same way I saw it last year. I called us going WR/CB/TE in the first two rounds, given the depth of the draft at other positions. I see us going OT (Ford/Jonah) instead of DT at #14. I think we spend money along the DL in FA and maybe one spot on the OL and draft OL in the first two rounds and capitalize on the deep DL class the rest of the way. It makes more sense. It's harder to find good OL outside the top 50. Not the case with DL. We're talking about the guy who has found Grady and Senat in a handful of drafts. 

It’s kind of an interesting angle aswell as with us picking at 14 I think Ford would be the guy if you go early it’s right where he’s pretty much projected maybe a bit later.

I mentioned this in another thread.Familiarity is key for me to get these OTs to play well early if we could somehow snag those 2 from OU I think this goes along way to fix what ales us now and going foward.

FA I gotta find a base end against the run if not bring back Shelby for cheap.I think this guy and Takk would be our ends against the run then you sprinkle Beasley or Irvin as your designated pass rusher and Means as your depth.

atlbaby likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, vel said:

I'm starting to see this draft the same way I saw it last year. I called us going WR/CB/TE in the first two rounds, given the depth of the draft at other positions. I see us going OT (Ford/Jonah) instead of DT at #14. I think we spend money along the DL in FA and maybe one spot on the OL and draft OL in the first two rounds and capitalize on the deep DL class the rest of the way. It makes more sense. It's harder to find good OL outside the top 50. Not the case with DL. We're talking about the guy who has found Grady and Senat in a handful of drafts. 

Warming up to this. Ford is turning into my favorite player in this draft. He's exactly the type of guy we need on the line. Mean sucker.

Still...not sure about the value there. You say harder to find OL outside the top 50? At tackle, maybe. So if we play Ford at RT, I get it. But I dunno. Still so hard guessing where players will go right now.

atlbaby likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I think the tackle class leaves a lot to be desired. There’s some decent RT prospects though. IOL is a pretty solid class. There’s about 6-7 that I’d want for us. 

DL is deep too so I think for what we need we are in good shape. I think the first three need to be any combination of OL, DL, OL. Can’t risk looking for immediate starters on the OL beyond the 3rd IMO. Unless someone falls or we are looking for someone on day 3 with tools to replace Mack in a couple years (Pierschbacher, Gaillard).

I’m excited to see if any unknowns have a good senior bowl or east west shrine game performance. There’s players like Marpet who come onto the scene and rise deservingly so. A guy I’m interested to see is Nate Davis from Charlotte. Think he could be this years Marpet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

Yeah I think the tackle class leaves a lot to be desired. There’s some decent RT prospects though. IOL is a pretty solid class. There’s about 6-7 that I’d want for us. 

DL is deep too so I think for what we need we are in good shape. I think the first three need to be any combination of OL, DL, OL. Can’t risk looking for immediate starters on the OL beyond the 3rd IMO. Unless someone falls or we are looking for someone on day 3 with tools to replace Mack in a couple years (Pierschbacher, Gaillard).

I’m excited to see if any unknowns have a good senior bowl or east west shrine game performance. There’s players like Marpet who come onto the scene and rise deservingly so. A guy I’m interested to see is Nate Davis from Charlotte. Think he could be this years Marpet. 

Not the draft, but I really want us to push hard for Rodger Saffold. What are your thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Not the draft, but I really want us to push hard for Rodger Saffold. What are your thoughts?

I would love Saffold. One of the best interior lineman FA. I like him, Paradis, and Quinton Spain as potential targets. Trent Brown and Ja’Waun James are good tackles as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The DL is supposed to be this draft's strength.  It is supposed to feature true high-end talent at the top and a fair amount of depth going into the 3rd and 4th rounds.  If that this true, then it is likely that the top-tier DT's will be off the board by our pick.  That would make a first round OL much more appealing.  

Cody Ford is presently my favorite, but I am concerned that every highlight I see of him, he is not in a three-point stance.  Is this a factor of coaching or does he have a problem with playing too high for the NFL?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, A-TowN.- said:

Yeah I think the tackle class leaves a lot to be desired. There’s some decent RT prospects though. IOL is a pretty solid class. There’s about 6-7 that I’d want for us. 

DL is deep too so I think for what we need we are in good shape. I think the first three need to be any combination of OL, DL, OL. Can’t risk looking for immediate starters on the OL beyond the 3rd IMO. Unless someone falls or we are looking for someone on day 3 with tools to replace Mack in a couple years (Pierschbacher, Gaillard).

I’m excited to see if any unknowns have a good senior bowl or east west shrine game performance. There’s players like Marpet who come onto the scene and rise deservingly so. A guy I’m interested to see is Nate Davis from Charlotte. Think he could be this years Marpet. 

I agree that the first 3 picks should be DT, OT, and OG. I have been watching Nate Davis and think he would be a good 3rd rd pick for OG. Him or maybe even Erik McCoy who can eventually take over for Mack. The guy I really want for RT is Dillard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ike barn87987 said:

I agree that the first 3 picks should be DT, OT, and OG. I have been watching Nate Davis and think he would be a good 3rd rd pick for OG. Him or maybe even Erik McCoy who can eventually take over for Mack. The guy I really want for RT is Dillard.

Yeah Nate David is really good. Has a mean streak to him. I haven’t seen McCoy but I’ll look him up. Dillard is one of the better pass blockers. His feet are really smooth. I  hope he has the strength to anchor at RT and to move bigger NFL DL at the POA in the run game. Think he has massive upside though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Raekwon the best.  untapped potential.  Sounds like Gary has all the tools but not the effort,  i would pass on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 7:08 PM, A-TowN.- said:

Yeah I think the tackle class leaves a lot to be desired. There’s some decent RT prospects though. IOL is a pretty solid class. There’s about 6-7 that I’d want for us. 

DL is deep too so I think for what we need we are in good shape. I think the first three need to be any combination of OL, DL, OL. Can’t risk looking for immediate starters on the OL beyond the 3rd IMO. Unless someone falls or we are looking for someone on day 3 with tools to replace Mack in a couple years (Pierschbacher, Gaillard).

I’m excited to see if any unknowns have a good senior bowl or east west shrine game performance. There’s players like Marpet who come onto the scene and rise deservingly so. A guy I’m interested to see is Nate Davis from Charlotte. Think he could be this years Marpet. 

id love to see a comparison of who stood out at the senior bowl vs their production in the nfl.  Marcus Davenport and Rashan Penny sure helped themselves to become first rounders.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

id love to see a comparison of who stood out at the senior bowl vs their production in the nfl.  Marcus Davenport and Rashan Penny sure helped themselves to become first rounders.  

I just went back and looked at reports at who stood out. Some have done well in the NFL. Others have not. More often than not they have made strides in the NFL (see Deion Jones and Darius Leonard), but there are some outliers (Jaleel Johnson, DL Iowa and Darian Thompson, S Boise State).

There are currently 20 players in the Pro Bowl who played in the Senior Bowl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

I just went back and looked at reports at who stood out. Some have done well in the NFL. Others have not. More often than not they have made strides in the NFL (see Deion Jones and Darius Leonard), but there are some outliers (Jaleel Johnson, DL Iowa and Darian Thompson, S Boise State).

There are currently 20 players in the Pro Bowl who played in the Senior Bowl. 

20 players in the pro bowl sounds like a good ratio. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:21 PM, Cole World said:

And here’s a small school guy you should know:

John Cominsky, DE, Univrsity of Charleston
“He is one of the most unique stories of the draft. Shaquem Griffin was the story of the draft last year, but this year I think it will be John Cominsky or Gardner Minshew this year. Cominksy came in as a quarterback, 6' 2", 210 or something like that and now he’s 6' 5", 275. He is really athletic for a kid that size, so he is a mismatch against guards because he is so athletic. He can really run. Teams right now are really intrigued by the athlete and the tools, it’s going to be how quickly can he put it together to rise to the occasion against better competition? But he’s dominated at the D-II level like you want to see a D-II guy do.Teams are enamored with his athleticism.”

 

 

kiwifalcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now