Cole World

NFL Draft 2019: Scouts' Takes on the Loaded Defensive Line Class

72 posts in this topic

The ones on our roster should NOT be on our roster after their performance this year. And rookie OLare rarely as successful as we need that position to be. 

A 1st rd OL might be. Might. I believe we need a mixture of draft and FA to fix the OL. 

On 12/3/2018 at 9:33 PM, vel said:

The more I dig into this group, the more I don't like it oddly. I don't know if I'm a fan of Oliver. Yes, he's fast and physical, but he's also clueless a lot with little hand usage. Also, playing at Houston doesn't necessarily put him against the best talent. Crazy amount of TFLs is probably going to translate, but so is his lack of sacks. People compare him to an Aaron Donald light, but the only comp is the TFLs (Oliver: 53; Donald: 66), not the sacks (Oliver: 13.5; Donald: 29.5). And Donald did that at PITT in the ACC, not at Houston in the AAC. That matters. 

Rashan Gary is a positionless athletic freak who is more an Ed Oliver light than anything. He had a lot of hype at Michigan and never really did anything. He's not a first round pick for us. Top 40? I wouldn't touch him still. He's a Clayborn replacement more than a cornerstone player in my opinion. If you like Rashan Gary, take Jerry Tillery instead. 

I'm not touching anybody from Clemson. I think Ferrell is Shaq Lawson/Kevin Dodd 2.0. Wilkins is ok, but I wouldn't use a top 10 on him. He's been productive, but I don't know how much of that transfers. Lawrence is just big. 

Put me down for:

Quinnen Williams
Raekwon Davis
Derrick Brown
Jerry Tillery
Zach Allen

We got the same top 3. Give me the two freaks that can anchor a line and have great hand usage. I think that’s a underrated thing.

10 minutes ago, falcon90 said:

We got the same top 3. Give me the two freaks that can anchor a line and have great hand usage. I think that’s a underrated thing.

Exactly. I keep watching Oliver wanting to like him but I just don't know. 6'2 275lbs. That's where he's going to play. Put Aaron Donald in the AAC and he's setting records. Oliver just didn't light it on fire for me when I factor in who he's doing it against. Like Rice? Seriously? 

falcon90 likes this

22 hours ago, vel said:

Exactly. I keep watching Oliver wanting to like him but I just don't know. 6'2 275lbs. That's where he's going to play. Put Aaron Donald in the AAC and he's setting records. Oliver just didn't light it on fire for me when I factor in who he's doing it against. Like Rice? Seriously? 

He is doubled or tripled every play. His short area quickness is elite.

Cole World likes this

On 12/6/2018 at 7:44 PM, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Raekwon Davis is the guy for me....unless we are picking in Top 5....I think he is powerful, which is what we need at DT. We don't need another "slippery, undersized" guy...give me 6'6" 310lbs of power and good movement skills....

Tillery, Allen are early 2nd round guys in my book....I'd like to see us double down on DL this year like we did with Trufant and Alford....

My draft:

1. R. Davis DT Alabama....starts at DT next to Jarrett (with Crawford and Senat in rotation)

2. Elgton Jenkins OC/OG Miss State...starts at LG, replaces Mack in 2020

3. Kaleb McGary OT Washington...starts at RT after cutting Schraeder

4. Jaylon Ferguson DE La Tech....replaces Beasley snaps after not picking up $12m option

4. Justice Hill RB Oklahoma State...replaces Tevin Coleman in FA

5. JoeJuan Williams CB Vanderbilt...backup CB behind Oliver...cut Alford, Kazee in NB

5. Sutton Smith DE Northern Illinois...replaces B. Reeds snaps, sign back B. Irvin

6. Sam Mustipher OC/OG Notre Dame...depth along interior OL (replaces Garland)

We will handout the Grady Jarrett contract along with whatever is needed to extend, up Julio's contract...

I think we go after a solid base DE in FA...spend the money there and then the rest is depth

Fowler and Graham come to mind as higher likelihood of being available

I feel like we need some outside linebacker help and I’m tired of Alford on the outside.

17 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

He is doubled or tripled every play. His short area quickness is elite.

All good DL are. I don't care about that excuse. He's got elite short area quickness, but he doesn't have the sack production and he's small. He has flaws that make me cautious of him that high. I wouldn't be mad in the slightest if they took him, because I think he can be a very good 3T. He reminds me of Dominique Easley. He was 6'2 283lb coming out of Florida. Dam near the same player: gap shooter that is undersized with little hand usage. But the upside of Oliver is having two pass rushing DTs in Oliver and Jarrett that can terrorize Brees the rest of his career. 

16 minutes ago, vel said:

All good DL are. I don't care about that excuse. He's got elite short area quickness, but he doesn't have the sack production and he's small. He has flaws that make me cautious of him that high. I wouldn't be mad in the slightest if they took him, because I think he can be a very good 3T. He reminds me of Dominique Easley. He was 6'2 283lb coming out of Florida. Dam near the same player: gap shooter that is undersized with little hand usage. But the upside of Oliver is having two pass rushing DTs in Oliver and Jarrett that can terrorize Brees the rest of his career. 

I don't think that is true of DL at big programs. You can't afford to double or triple the Alabama DT's every play for instance. 

The sack and TFL numbers aren't 'Aaron Donald' off the chart, but they're not bad. Geno Adkins, Gerald McCoy, Fletcher Cox & Grady Jarrett were all in line, or worse, than Oliver in college in those categories. Donald has just skewed what 'good' looks like.

When it comes to the combine I expect Oliver will blow the doors off and he'll pick up some momentum again.

Cole World likes this

5 hours ago, vel said:

Oliver is smaller than Easley...

If he tops 6’0” and 280lbs, I’d be shocked

1 hour ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Oliver is smaller than Easley...

If he tops 6’0” and 280lbs, I’d be shocked

Which, again, scares the **** outta me. I think his 6'2 is real. I think he'll try and bulk up and still test well, but no way he carries 275+ on game days. 

6 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

I don't think that is true of DL at big programs. You can't afford to double or triple the Alabama DT's every play for instance. 

The sack and TFL numbers aren't 'Aaron Donald' off the chart, but they're not bad. Geno Adkins, Gerald McCoy, Fletcher Cox & Grady Jarrett were all in line, or worse, than Oliver in college in those categories. Donald has just skewed what 'good' looks like.

When it comes to the combine I expect Oliver will blow the doors off and he'll pick up some momentum again.

We'll see. I'm just not the biggest fan. I get the hype. He just is very boom/bust. Playing in the AAC doesn't help my assessment. I admit, I'm biased against non-Power Conference players. I was a big Khalil Mack fan, so I'm not unreasonable. But when you turn on Mack's tape and Oliver's tape, it's night and day.

18 minutes ago, vel said:

Which, again, scares the **** outta me. I think his 6'2 is real. I think he'll try and bulk up and still test well, but no way he carries 275+ on game days. 

Which is why I have no idea where he plays on this team? It’s not at end and we already have Crawford and Jarrett....Oliver will probably be a 1st round pick just not with the Falcons...

As I watch more of this team, I’m uncertain what we need on the DL? I like Jarrett, Crawford, Senat...but none are world beaters....

Lutside of Quinnen, would there be a guy that would be better than what those guys add in terms of pass rush or run stopping ability?

I actually think DE may be where we look again? Which would be the 3rd first rounder under DQ, which is kinda upsetting?

I hate the idea at first, but is Greedy an option?

Face it, we know the Falcons are gonna go at least 5-11, so we probably pick somewhere between 6-12....

I also think our scheme of no blitzing has not helped our DL get one v ones

I’d love to see Campbell get some time at DE...

And Means has shown a little bit with limited PT with 2 sacks in last two games?

Edited by Matt_The Iceman_Ryan

12 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Which is why I have no idea where he plays on this team? It’s not at end and we already have Crawford and Jarrett....Oliver will probably be a 1st round pick just not with the Falcons...

As I watch more of this team, I’m uncertain what we need on the DL? I like Jarrett, Crawford, Senat...but none are world beaters....

Lutside of Quinnen, would there be a guy that would be better than what those guys add in terms of pass rush or run stopping ability?

I actually think DE may be where we look again? Which would be the 3rd first rounder under DQ, which is kinda upsetting?

I hate the idea at first, but is Greedy an option?

Face it, we know the Falcons are gonna go at least 5-11, so we probably pick somewhere between 6-12....

I also think our scheme of no blitzing has not helped our DL get one v ones

I’d love to see Campbell get some time at DE...

And Means has shown a little bit with limited PT with 2 sacks in last two games?

If we don't get to #2 I don't think we can get Q. Williams. Which is why I wanna pick 8-12 and get Simmons. I'm not as high on Oliver. Too small.

7 minutes ago, ike barn87987 said:

If we don't get to #2 I don't think we can get Q. Williams. Which is why I wanna pick 8-12 and get Simmons. I'm not as high on Oliver. Too small.

Simmons was red flagged by our scouts back in August. Not gonna happen. Maybe if he falls outta the Top 3 rounds, but his off the field is too much baggage.

Im not saying he’s a bad player, he’s not. I think he’s a stud, but it’s just not gonna be for this team. You can look at that however you want

38 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Simmons was red flagged by our scouts back in August. Not gonna happen. Maybe if he falls outta the Top 3 rounds, but his off the field is too much baggage.

Im not saying he’s a bad player, he’s not. I think he’s a stud, but it’s just not gonna be for this team. You can look at that however you want

I didn't get that memo. But if that's the case I'll take Derrick Brown at that spot. But I still think Simmons is better.

16 minutes ago, ike barn87987 said:

I didn't get that memo. But if that's the case I'll take Derrick Brown at that spot. But I still think Simmons is better.

I think Simmons is better too, but domestic violence is no bueno in this league....and especially this franchise....

How much better is Derrick Bryant than the guys we have on this team? I see a guy that disappears a LOT in games...

While people will want aDT without first pick, bc this class is so deep, it wouldn’t surprise if we waited until our 2nd round pick?

Matbe an edge guy instead?

We will be picking 6-12...I think that’s a good spot for Rashan Gary if DQ and folks think he’s got the fire in him...that’s his knock...or they could go BPA? Greedy?

5 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

No the **** they didn’t. Stop spreading lies.

9 minutes ago, Cole World said:

No the **** they didn’t. Stop spreading lies.

No rumors. Domestic violence offenders are NOT being drafted by this team. Directive from Arthur...sorry pal

4 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

No rumors. Domestic violence offenders are NOT being drafted by this team. Directive from Arthur...sorry pal

Just like we wouldn’t draft Takk because he had shoulder surgery pre-draft...ok

Just now, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

That’s totally different dude

No you swore then we wouldn’t draft him last year and now you throwing more garbage out there. 

17 hours ago, Cole World said:

No you swore then we wouldn’t draft him last year and now you throwing more garbage out there. 

Keep thinking a player with a domestic violence history will be drafted on to the team, especially one with a video....best RB in the league was just cut by a team that drafted Tyreek Hill...you really think Arthur is gonna be lie, YES!?!...not sure what you are referring with Takk?

14 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Keep thinking a player with a domestic violence history will be drafted on to the team, especially one with a video....best RB in the league was just cut by a team that drafted Tyreek Hill...you really think Arthur is gonna be lie, YES!?!...not sure what you are referring with Takk?

He doesn’t have a video so that point is thrown out of the window. 

And I already explained the Takk thing above.