VTCrunkler

McCarthy fired by packers.

102 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

I'll be honest. He's the PERFECT coach for us right now. A diciplinarian, but also a tactician. He would not put up with this sloppy execution and dropped passes on offense.

I see posts like this and I wonder if it's sarcastic or if you really believe this. There's a reason Mike McCarthy has been on the hot seat for a number of years now and why Rodgers has been wanting someone new. I'll see if you can figure that out.

2 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Speaking of injuries, McCarthy won a Super Bowl with a team full of players on IR.

True story.

12 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

I'll be honest. He's the PERFECT coach for us right now. A diciplinarian, but also a tactician. He would not put up with this sloppy execution and dropped passes on offense.

And that's exactly why he was fired from Green Bay--poor offensive execution.

Vandy likes this

8 hours ago, osiruz said:

Bring him in as OC, McCarthy is a QB whisperer and knows how to run the zbs.

LOL...that ‘QB Whisperer’ just got fired because of a deteriorated relationship with his QB. 

No.11 and rogueleadersf like this

22 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

Every QB does this. Yes, even this board's slurp boy Rodgers.

No **** Sherlock. But I'm more than willing to bet that he would connect a lot more times than Matt if given the chance to throw deep to Julio

13 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I was thinking today we need an offensive HC. Haven't had one since Reeves. Not counting Quitrino.

I hear ya, and kinda understand that thinking after hiring two straight defensive-minded guys and our defense still stinks. But don’t forget Bobby Petrino was supposed to be that offensive guy, and we saw how that all went down. 

A lot of things need to change, but I’m just not ready to get rid of Quinn. 

41 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I hear ya, and kinda understand that thinking after hiring two straight defensive-minded guys and our defense still stinks. But don’t forget Bobby Petrino was supposed to be that offensive guy, and we saw how that all went down. 

A lot of things need to change, but I’m just not ready to get rid of Quinn. 

I don't expect Blank to get rid of him. Unless they flame out even more in the last four games. And probably not even then.

Quinn was on my short list for replacing Smitty in 2015 but these things have me concerned and ready for a change:

• Bad game plans
  • Lack of in game adjustments
  • Getting out coached by inferior coaching staffs
  • Awful situational football calls
  • Turrible clock management
  • Piss poor use of time outs
  • Allegiance to sorry coordinators
  • Unwillingness to adjust his schemes to fit his players

He just seems to be more of a DC than an HC.

No.11, VTCrunkler and Vandy like this

20 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I don't expect Blank to get rid of him. Unless they flame out even more in the last four games. And probably not even then.

Quinn was on my short list for replacing Smitty in 2015 but these things have me concerned and ready for a change:

• Bad game plans

He just seems to be more of a DC than an HC.

Good post.

I see it too, and have called Quinn out in here for that, as I know you have too. But i’m not ‘there’ yet, mainly because I’ve also seen him stay true to his roots and belief in what he’s doing, which I like...as well as draft the kind of players that fit what he wants to do. I want to see how he does with a defense fully built in alignment with his vision. 

But the issues you’ve mentioned are very real, and concerning. 

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

The only thing stupider than firing Dan Quinn at this stage would be hiring Mike McCarthy to replace him. 

McCarthy's been living off of a single white-hot streak his team got on for 9 games, years ago.  Other that that streak he's been a very average head coach. 

50 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:
  • Bad game plans

He just seems to be more of a DC than an HC

Salient points.  DQ is stepping up to the hot seat if he isnt already on it.  I give him 1-2 more years tops if this path continues...

49 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I wonder if GB is the first team in NFL history to open as a TD favorite one day after firing their coach lol. They will cover it too.

I think the coaches/players will get get up for this one...AR seems to bring the best out in us..

5 hours ago, Peyton said:

I wonder if GB is the first team in NFL history to open as a TD favorite one day after firing their coach lol. They will cover it too.

lol.  It's called

THE FALCON EFFECT

21 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

We really don't need a defensive minded coach, just a good DC. Our offense is light years behind the saints, Chiefs, Rams.  

didnt st louis pick up one of shanahans assistants, who is now an oc?

21 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

Quinn should’ve been first.

Blame injuries if you want, his shortcomings as an NFL head coach have been on full display this year.

Injuries are not an excuse, it's a fact.  The league minimum and practice squad players aren't going to come in and give you the same level of performance as the starters. There had been many promising teams that had their season derailed because of a high number of team injuries.   

That being said, Quinn's not a great NFL coach as he's often outwitted and out-schemed but other coaches. Raven showed us what a tiered defence in the league does, not the predictable "fast and furious...run to the ball"defence Falcons play, that gets torched by Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson.   

Since NFL has become a league that favours the offense, it makes more sense to have an innovative offensive minded HC.  Most top-tier teams have offensive minded HC.