Falc_Fan_Since_Six

Injuries no excuse? In the modern day NFL they are

59 posts in this topic

How many games this year could have turned on one play by Freeman, Neal, Allen, D. Jones, Jarrett? Lots of them! Rosters and finances don't allow stockpiling players anymore. Depth suffers. I've heard injuries are no excuse for 50 years now and I always thought so till this season. It's and old adage but now it's a WRONG old adage. Disagree...flame away. I'm right. This season sucks but I really believe things would have been different without key players having season ending injuries or missing major time.

Edited by Falc_Fan_Since_Six

3 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

So players are supposed to make up for coaching inadequacies?

So coaches are supposed to make up for the loss of star starters? Backups are backups for a reason. You need a reality check. What sort of coaching can make up for losing a three down linebacker like Debo?

If you say injuries don’t matter you’re dumb. We lost our best two players on defense and the one guy capable of holding the squad together in Allen. 

JDaveG likes this

2 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

So players are supposed to make up for coaching inadequacies?

Problem is when the players lost are the leaders on the field for the coach.

The coach still deserves a lot of the blame but should be on a very tight rope when all the players are back.

2 minutes ago, shock said:

If you say injuries don’t matter you’re dumb. We lost our best two players on defense and the one guy capable of holding the squad together in Allen. 

Amen!

10 minutes ago, Falc_Fan_Since_Six said:

So coaches are supposed to make up for the loss of star starters? Backups are backups for a reason. You need a reality check. What sort of coaching can make up for losing a three down linebacker like Debo?

Yes.  That’s their jobs.

mqg96, GreggT and Flying Falcon like this

14 minutes ago, Falc_Fan_Since_Six said:

How many games this year could have turned on one play by Freeman, Neal, Allen, D. Jones, Jarrett? Lots of them! Rosters and finances don't allow stockpiling players anymore. Depth suffers. I've heard injuries are no excuse for 50 years now and I always thought so till this season. It's and old adage but now it's a WRONG old adage. Disagree...flame away. I'm right. This season sucks but I really believe things would have been different without key players having season ending injuries or missing major time.

Jerry Glanville used to say if you lost 3 key starters on one side of the ball you were toast. That was in the early 90's.

i think occasionally teams can overcome it. Sometimes they get lucky and get better (Bledsoe/Brady). And the mantra is always "next man up".

But that's just the message to the team. In reality coaches are changing schemes, game plans, and whatever they can to protect the weaknesses.

12 minutes ago, Falc_Fan_Since_Six said:

The good coaches do, or have you never heard of the Patriots, Seahawks, 2017 Eagles?

25 minutes ago, Falc_Fan_Since_Six said:

How many undrafted guys from NO caught TDs passes on us?!?

Plays are made from everywhere.

Injuries are an excuse, build depth and next man up. Every NFL team has injuries...

Look at PHI from last year...how would we fair without Matt Ryan?!?

Get rid of this coaching staff...

the defnsive scheme and attitude sucks, get rid of the HC due to game management issues and get rid of Sark

If we have to blame injuries or use it as an excuse as to why this team is not good then this team is overrated. Falcons are not the only team that has to face adversity, they’re like any other nfl team. If players/coach cant show up to a game and do their job. Then they have no business going anywhere like the playoffs or SB. There have been many teams that go through what we have this season and still had alot of success. Where do yall get this mentality from ?? That we’re special?? Coaching, playcalling and execution are the reasons why we are where we are now.

Edited by caponine
Flying Falcon and roguebeaver like this

Jones and Allen are the QB and center for the defense.  And in the salary cap era there is only so much depth before you’re bringing in guys off the street, and then you can’t run anything exotic, because they have limited time in the scheme and practices. 

On 12/2/2018 at 7:01 PM, shock said:

Allen got outplayed by kazee. Allen never held anything together 

Flying Falcon and roguebeaver like this

Injuries do matter, but so does coaching. They aren’t mutually exclusive. A good defensive coordinator can adjust accordingly to players’ strengths and weaknesses. They do this by creating a scheme that fits the players that are available.

The 2017 Bears are a perfect example of this. They lost vet linebackers, they also were starting CBs during the season that weren’t their original starters (iirc). They also had their safety injuried which led them to start Jackson. There weren’t any “stars” on that defense. Just a lot of solid talent to work with. In year 2 of Fangio’s tenure there he was able to create one of the better defenses in the league. With the addition of Mack this year, it put them over the top.

Good defensive coordinators can work with the pieces they have. If a defensive coordinator can only be good because he has “star” players then that’s a huge issue that needs to be addressed. Injuries affected us this year, there’s no doubt about that, that’s understandable. However the drop off in talent/coaching/fundamentals, when those “star” players were out, is inexcusable.

My personal feelings on this matter are that we should do a “head to toe” evaluation of each and every coordinator, assistant, positional coach, scout, etc. to see who is a commodity and who isn’t. Then do clean sweep of the undesirables. There should be a massive overhaul this offseason. I think we need at the very least, new coordinators across the board. 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon
putnam6 and Flying Falcon like this

Before the season, this team was roundly thought to be a Superbowl contender. What happened? Injuries to key starters, that's what. Teams very very rarely recover from injuries to key players. That's the exception rather than the rule. To have the run of  season ending injuries and significant losses of time that the Falcons have had this year makes it **** near impossible. No amount of coaching, rearranging, change of scheme etc. etc. cough cough blah blah blah woof woof makes up for the loss of the amount of pro bowl caliber players this team has lost. It just doesn't. You can't stockpile talent in the modern day NFL. I say again and will say it over and over, backups are backups for a reason. Wash, rinse, repeat. NFL depth charts go from world beater to great to decent when it comes to the key players on a roster. Very fine line between world beater and great but it's a line that matters a huge amount in this league.

The most glaring problem with this team is the O-line. If that isn't fixed this off season then TD needs to go and maybe should already be gone since it's never been right during his entire tenure. Fix the O-line, get through next year relatively unscathed on the injury front and still don't go deep into the playoffs and ultimately the Superbowl, then we can talk about Quinn and the coaching. More often than not, bad coaching can lose a game. Good coaching can't always win one.

We are bottom of the pack as far as the number of players we have on IR, most teams are dealing with more injuries than us and doing better then us. No excuse, every team has injuries, heck we faced two teams that fried their entire coaching staff the week before we faced them and lost to both teams. Our coaches simply aren't adaptable enough to over come injuries or coaching changes on the other side it's that simple.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/injured-reserve/

We have 9 players on IR which is near the bottom of the league, the Colts have 22 players on IR. Colts are 7-6 and we are 4-9. It is not an excuse it is a failure for this team plain and simple

Flying Falcon likes this

1 minute ago, MAD597 said:

We are middle of the pack as far as the number of players we have on IR, a lot of teams are dealing with more injuries than us and doing better then us. No excuse every team has injuries, heck we faced two teams that fried their entire coaching staff the week before we faced them and lost to both teams. Our coaches simply aren't adaptable enough to over come injuries it's that simple.

Pure unadulterated B.S. Have a nice day, OK?

5 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

We are bottom of the pack as far as the number of players we have on IR, most teams are dealing with more injuries than us and doing better then us. No excuse, every team has injuries, heck we faced two teams that fried their entire coaching staff the week before we faced them and lost to both teams. Our coaches simply aren't adaptable enough to over come injuries or coaching changes on the other side it's that simple.

We have 9 players on IR which is near the bottom of the league, the Colts have 22 players on IR. Colts are 7-6 and we are 4-9. It is not an excuse it is a failure for this team plain and simple

Thank You !!!!! someone here is finally using sense and not trying to use injuries as an excuse

Flying Falcon likes this

17 minutes ago, Falc_Fan_Since_Six said:

Before the season, this team was roundly thought to be a Superbowl contender. What happened? Injuries to key starters, that's what. Teams very very rarely recover from injuries to key players. That's the exception rather than the rule. To have the run of  season ending injuries and significant losses of time that the Falcons have had this year makes it **** near impossible. No amount of coaching, rearranging, change of scheme etc. etc. cough cough blah blah blah woof woof makes up for the loss of the amount of pro bowl caliber players this team has lost. It just doesn't. You can't stockpile talent in the modern day NFL. I say again and will say it over and over, backups are backups for a reason. Wash, rinse, repeat. NFL depth charts go from world beater to great to decent when it comes to the key players on a roster. Very fine line between world beater and great but it's a line that matters a huge amount in this league.

The most glaring problem with this team is the O-line. If that isn't fixed this off season then TD needs to go and maybe should already be gone since it's never been right during his entire tenure. Fix the O-line, get through next year relatively unscathed on the injury front and still don't go deep into the playoffs and ultimately the Superbowl, then we can talk about Quinn and the coaching. More often than not, bad coaching can lose a game. Good coaching can't always win one.

This must be Coach Q, sending a message to TD in a roundabout way!  This is all I can figure out...

Flying Falcon likes this

Not to be that guy, but the Chargers lost 3 starters this week and still went into KC and upset the Chiefs. Obviously not saying they could sustain it, but Falcons dont even have a signature win this year. Been watching Falcons teams since 77 somethings missing  on this team besides just missing the injured players. Besides now there is no guarantee any of them return to their previous form, not to mention think we all have a tendency to over rank our players sometimes. **** sure thought Coleman would light it up this year even with the upheaval on the OL bust one here or there. I guess maybe Hooper is a nice surprise, but otherwise who Ridley stands out. Also did you notice yesterday talking about what a great year Andre Roberts was having, after his year here where he stunk, thats coaching people. 

mqg96, MAD597 and Flying Falcon like this

3 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Stats don't lie only 1 team has less players on IR then we do. 30 other teams have more injury issues then we do.

OH GEEZ! I can prove the world is flat with stats! I'm not talking about rank and file players on IR! I'm talking about season ending injuries and significant loss of time by the handful of players on offense and defense that make the difference in winning and losing each week. Your argument is still B.S. Back ups are backups for a reason. Wash, rinse, repeat. Backups are supposed to get you through a game, maybe two or three while your starter heals from bumps and bruises. These days, you cannot expect to win very much with backups taking season long roles. Never say never but it's just not going to happen that often. Decline from starter to backup is most prominent and visible at the QB position but it's there everywhere on the field. You folks arguing with me need a reality check. It's not the golden age of the Staubach/Landry led Dallas Cowboys anymore nor is it that of the Bradshaw/Knoll led Steelers. I was around back then, I should know. No one wants a Lombardi for the Falcons more than me, I've been waiting for over fifty years now but I don't believe coaching can overcome the player losses we've sustained this year. You can only do so much with smoke and mirrors. Injuries are not to blame for everything this year but they have definitely caused a **** of a lot of problems. Just be real!

dodge_birds_fan and Shelley#37 like this