I Even Bleed Red

Change my mind: Matt Ryan has one of the worst deep balls in the NFL

123 posts in this topic

Bunch of returds in this thread no doubt.

M Ryan can throw the deep ball, but what QB can throw the deep ball accurate when they can't step into the pass?  Yes that one pass was terrible but it looked like it slipped out of his hand more than anything.  He also threw another pass, WR bubble screen I believe, that was just terrible as well, that I also think slipped out of his hand.  But not many qbs can throw a 50 yard bullet on a rope off their back foot while falling backwards. 

Look at this perfect deep ball from Ryan, and guess what, he had a clean pocket to step into the throw and not heave it up off his back foot.  Its amazing that he made that pass when many returds in this thread are saying that he can't.  But he did.

Also here is another site that shows the deep ball numbers for this past season 2017-18, and guess what?  M Ryan was the 4th best deep ball passer. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/deep-ball-project

Edited by dawgsjw
Vandy and THEHEADCOACH like this

7 hours ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

Let’s argue.

Aaron Rodgers will tell you how surgical is Matt Ryan with his deep balls....when he carved them  past 3 meetings in row.

Vandy likes this

7 hours ago, TheUsualStuff said:

Agree..

I try and be honest about Ryan and I know he doesn't have a really strong arm. He's def bottom half of the league, but he has overcome this in the past when he has had time to step into his throws. Every long ball he threw terribly today, he was throwing off his back foot if not absolutely falling backwards. He never has a chance to step up in the pocket like a lot of other guys do.

I get it. He doesn't have a really strong arm, but it's not fair to judge him with this craptastic O-line. With what we have protecting him, slow developing deep routes that don't start to break open until receivers are 40 yards downfield are going to be a disaster. 

Maybe we should see how far they can throw with a 300lb man hanging on them or drilling them in the chest repeatedly....

You can't fix stupid.

Looking at the highlights of any player can make them seem like a stud. Looking at the entire body of work gives a more accurate picture.

He's thrown some good passes and he's thrown ugly ones. That duck he threw yesterday wasn't the first time he's done that.

And stop with the excuses, he needs this and he needs that. Greatness is not being able to perform under perfect conditions. It's performing well and inspiring your team mates even in poor conditions

3 hours ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

Looking at the highlights of any player can make them seem like a stud. Looking at the entire body of work gives a more accurate picture.

He's thrown some good passes and he's thrown ugly ones. That duck he threw yesterday wasn't the first time he's done that.

And stop with the excuses, he needs this and he needs that. Greatness is not being able to perform under perfect conditions. It's performing well and inspiring your team mates even in poor conditions

How about you go learn about football, eh?  Go outside with your buddies and see how far you can throw the ball.  Now do the same by putting all your weight on your back foot and then see how far you can throw.  Now get one of your buddies to hit you as soon as you release the ball, and lets see how far you throw.  Now throw the ball off your back foot with one of your buddies hitting you as soon as you release the ball, and see how far you can throw it. 

By the end of this exercise, you will see that if you can step into the throw, you can throw it a **** ton farther.  So don't go full returd no mo.

13 hours ago, zekeyboy1 said:

Montana also didnt move around like he had weights on his ankles..lol

**** true ryan has got to be the most un athletic qb of all time

zekeyboy1 likes this

17 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Never really been good on the deep ball but the one to Julio today was a flat out duck. Worst I've seen from him. Turrible.

It felt intentional to me.  Julio is one on one with a tiny DB, let's just throw it up and see if he can beat him and come down with the ball.

Still, he's proven that's not who he is.  He can't do what Deandre Hopkins can do on these.  Matt and Sark need to stop pretending he can.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

It felt intentional to me.  Julio is one on one with a tiny DB, let's just throw it up and see if he can beat him and come down with the ball.

Still, he's proven that's not who he is.  He can't do what Deandre Hopkins can do on these.  Matt and Sark need to stop pretending he can.

On that one play, I think it was a bit intentional and honestly, Julio is supposed to have the hops to be able to go up and snag a ball like that one..... and he couldn't. He didn't out jump the defender and he also miss timed it a bit. When they showed the replay you could see he was coming down when the made contact with his hands. When you jump first the defender is probably a tiny bit behind you on his jump... when it comes to you on your way down then the defender is either on his way up or at the apex of his leap. Still I thought the ball hit Julio's hands, but he didn't bring it in.

Peyton likes this

2 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

On that one play, I think it was a bit intentional and honestly, Julio is supposed to have the hops to be able to go up and snag a ball like that one..... and he couldn't. He didn't out jump the defender and he also miss timed it a bit. When they showed the replay you could see he was coming down when the made contact with his hands. When you jump first the defender is probably a tiny bit behind you on his jump... when it comes to you on your way down then the defender is either on his way up or at the apex of his leap. Still I thought the ball hit Julio's hands, but he didn't bring it in.

That's Julio's flaw on jump balls.  If the ball is not thrown on a line, he will jump too early every time.

TheUsualStuff likes this

4 hours ago, dawgsjw said:

How about you go learn about football, eh?  Go outside with your buddies and see how far you can throw the ball.  Now do the same by putting all your weight on your back foot and then see how far you can throw.  Now get one of your buddies to hit you as soon as you release the ball, and lets see how far you throw.  Now throw the ball off your back foot with one of your buddies hitting you as soon as you release the ball, and see how far you can throw it. 

By the end of this exercise, you will see that if you can step into the throw, you can throw it a **** ton farther.  So don't go full returd no mo.

You're drunk. I can tell by the way you type. You can't even address the points I made, just getting all emotional like I poured out your last beer. I understand I made an unwanted criticism of your hero and you can't have that can you?

What about that perfectly thrown deep ball to Calvin that he dropped (again)? I don't think it's a matter of if Ryan can throw the deep ball; of course he can. He had record numbers in passes that traveled 30 yards just two years ago. Having said that he has thrown some really awful looking moon shots that he hadn't thrown in the past. I think it's something that he worked on in the offseason (he was overthrowing Julio last year) in order to give Julio a chance at making plays when he is tightly covered or there is safety help on his side. It has absolutely not worked and should be scrapped though. 

17 hours ago, FalconinPA said:

That thing he threw to Julio today was one of his worst passes ever. Julio didn't know if he should try to jump and grab or fair catch it. It looked like a punt.

It was UGLY but it also hit him right in the hands.  

Just now, CraigSmackDaddy said:

It was UGLY but it also hit him right in the hands.  

It was like a Hail Mary pass, you would hope he could get his hands on it. Whether or not he can come down with it with 3 defenders also trying to catch the ball is a different story.

Ryan isn't a great deep ball thrower but he's not one of the worst. If you compare him to a Mahomes, yes, it's lacking. Ryan had a wide-open Coleman for a TD but overshot him. Conversely, he threw a perfect ball to Ridley which was dropped. Way too many mistakes against a tough defense. Don't know why they didn't go no-huddle the entire game. Ravens defense wasn't as effective against the no-huddle.

19 hours ago, FalconinPA said:

That thing he threw to Julio today was one of his worst passes ever. Julio didn't know if he should try to jump and grab or fair catch it. It looked like a punt.

I've said this in several posts in the past. My main criticism of Ryan. I don't buy the arguement that he's not getting his feet set. I've never seen Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, etc.......throw such a horrendous pass without their feet set. It's embarassing.

FalconinPA and slickgadawg like this

2 minutes ago, OilFuturesTrader19 said:

I've said this in several posts in the past. My main criticism of Ryan. I don't buy the arguement that he's not getting his feet set. I've never seen Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, etc.......throw such a horrendous pass without their feet set. It's embarassing.

You are correct. 

slickgadawg likes this

1 hour ago, Peyton said:

That's Julio's flaw on jump balls.  If the ball is not thrown on a line, he will jump too early every time.

Them ducks throw my timing off also when I'm watching the game. When most quarterbacks throw a deep ball there is a quick rhythm to the flight of the ball. With Ryan it actually forces people to slllloooowww down to watch the ball. I know the cameramen are struggling too...:(

Edited by slickgadawg

51 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

Ryan isn't a great deep ball thrower but he's not one of the worst. If you compare him to a Mahomes, yes, it's lacking. Ryan had a wide-open Coleman for a TD but overshot him. Conversely, he threw a perfect ball to Ridley which was dropped. Way too many mistakes against a tough defense. Don't know why they didn't go no-huddle the entire game. Ravens defense wasn't as effective against the no-huddle.

Not Mahomes? Heck he ain't Fitzpatrick...:lol:  Even Fitz got a waay better deep ball...

Edited by slickgadawg

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

The strange thing is Ryan throws a perfect deep ball to everyone not named Julio Jones.

Now you know that's not true. He's missed other receivers also.